2019
2 academic superstars and best friends who, on the eve of their high school graduation, realize they should have worked less and played more. Determined not to fall short of their peers, the girls try to cram 4 years of fun into 1 night.

2019

Rated 07 Sep 2019
I can see why so many like it. The leads have great chemistry and the story is quite original. I didn't bust a gut laughing, but I did laugh often. The cast is all great, Lourd having some of the best moments. I also liked the way it resolved and delivered certain messages. There are definitely things in here I didn't think about when I was a senior. Great coming of age story with excellent leads and some good food for thought. What more could you want?
Rated 30 Aug 2019
2019 the year of Will Forte fun Dad
Rated 24 May 2019
What the hell is with these random people (Bo Burnham, Greta Gerwig and now Olivia Wilde of all people) coming out of nowhere and making fantastic teen movies recently? This is a marvellously entertaining and heartfelt little movie. Immensely charming performances from the leads, tons of laughs, a strong emotional core, infectious energy and a surprising amount of visual panache for a first time director (did I mention that it's Olivia Wilde?!).
Rated 26 May 2019
Wilde and her young actors achieve believably lovable and familiar characters. Akin to past teen coming-of-age, expletive-laden comedies (most notably Superbad), but is more companion than rehash. Here, the character motivations propelling the narrative forward are more aligned with the characters’ values (beautifully synonymous with its themes). Everything after the party scene unfolds sloppily. This film earned an emotionally-resonant ending that it couldn’t deliver. Also, qualify editing.
Rated 02 Jul 2019
The script isn't exactly amazing, but it's a breath of fresh air that it does try to undercut the usual clichés now and then. However, it's mostly the direction and the leads that make the film stand out. So even though I didn't find this as funny as the movie it's getting compared to a lot, 'Superbad', I wouldn't mind hanging out with Amy and Molly again at some point.
Rated 17 Jun 2019
A mix of Superbad and Can't Hardly Wait, but directed by someone like Noah Baumbach (which is saying something given this is Wilde's directorial debut). It hits the same realistic tone that really captures what it's like to be that age, but obviously done through exaggerated/heightened situations. The two main characters were incredibly well written and the acting from them was superb. My only complaint is the second party and obligatory drug sequence didn't really add much.
Rated 12 May 2020
An updated take on the teen "high school is ending" genre. The two leads are very endearing and have good chemistry throughout. There are some hit and miss (like any of these type films) but for the most part, it's funny and sweet and embarrassing and Wilde does a good job moving us through all those tempo changes. A decent watch.
Rated 24 May 2019
Each year has a teen comedy that surprises me and this is one. It plays with current culture in interesting ways, using it for its comedy... which mostly works. I wouldn't say it's laugh out loud funny, but it's got plenty of chuckles. It's fueled by the chemistry between the two leads, who are completely believable as besties. It's a joyful experience, goes by quick. Wilde pieced the chaos together admirably, injecting a sufficient amount of flair without burying it.
Rated 11 Jul 2019
Booksmart is so clearly the product of a director and writers who have the utmost respect for their actors, and vice versa. It's quick-witted and perfectly paced, but always allows its two leads intimate, character-building moments. Its central narrative is so finely tuned and assured, based around characters who aren't allowed to be reduced to stereotypes, each given a layer of depth not afforded to many comedies. I love every frame of this wonderful, hilarious, perfect film. I have no breath.
Rated 09 Feb 2020
A quite funny and endearing comedy, driven along by the chemistry between the two likeable leads. A really promising debut from Wilde.
Rated 23 Jun 2019
Walks a similar path to Ladybird, Edge of Seventeen, Blockers et al: A classic high school comedy for 21st century sensibilities, with a script that mines for both cleverness and empathy. (Which isn't to say it doesn't have the obligatory gross-out moments.) Maybe a bit predictable towards the end, but consistently funny and positive, and I want to see Beanie Feldstein in more things.
Rated 21 Nov 2019
Frustrating comedy needed a tighter reign behind the scenes, with Wilde proving unable to pull together the disorganised strands of the "too many cooks" screenplay. Moments of insight and genuine emotion are buried under strident, abrasive characterisations of all and sundry, and a real lack of intelligent insight into modern high school life. Perhaps it's because recently we have been spoilt for choice for intelligent youth based movies, but this fails to live up to recent genre highlights.
Rated 19 Nov 2019
a modern John Hughes movie: a diverse ensemble of teenage caricatures learn powerful life lessons in a day they somehow didn't in the preceding four years. the performers aren't bad, even solid; but the direction is hollow. Wilde's tendency to resort to slow-motion song-driven montages for emotional beats takes away any sort of chance for the actors to develop any intimacy with their characters. I don't think I laughed even once; there's no surprise in its humor. watch Eighth Grade instead.
Rated 30 May 2019
Another excellent entry in the 2010s teen movie canon, with superb lead performances, assured direction from Wilde, a smart, hilarious, and refreshingly frank script, and a killer soundtrack. Somewhat unaware of it’s own WASPiness, and that hallucination scene was a comedy black hole for me, but overall a fantastic time. Can we make Kaitlyn Dever a star now? She’s been killing it since Justified in 2011.
A less gay Superbad.
Rated 06 Sep 2019
Booksmart has the right balance of quirky comedy and heartfelt moments to make it an enjoyable film; but flawed in ways that won't make it a classic (for me at least). I liked that for once an American film didn't portray high-school as a compendium of cliques, making the lead girls their own worst enemies. Some of the comedic moments were great, and on the whole the cast and writing were strong. Feldstein's Molly was a bit too annoying though, whether through the writing or performance or both.
Rated 09 Sep 2019
I really appreciated the way that almost every character felt too over the top character-y, but somehow also still very real at the same time. Wilde's direction was bold, leading to some definite misses, but even more big hits.
Rated 27 Feb 2020
I really like both leads and they have excellent chemistry. Any scene that was just the two of them being friends was great. Other scenes however... let's just say, you can tell there were 4 different writers involved. Larry David taught Kaitlyn Dever how to use a tampon on Curb Your Enthusiasm, and now she's off to African to teach locals how to use tampons... that's gotta be 'something' coming full circle, right?
Rated 12 Aug 2019
Funny, heartfelt and, thankfully, mostly apolitical (despite what critics had me believe) coming of age comedy.
Rated 02 Dec 2019
Overcooked. Licensed music blasts over emotional moments, indulgent directorial flourishes are pretty but drown out what's actually going on between the characters, dragging it out while simultaneously (and in one crucial point literally) muting the feeling. I just could not get into the depth of this.
Rated 10 Sep 2019
Just really good. Sorry if that's brief, I'm still a bit shocked that a film involving teenagers can also be clever at times. I have high hopes for the two leads.
Rated 15 Sep 2019
I went into this mostly blind and came to the same realization of "Superbad with girls." It's just the boy version resounded with me more. Billie Lourd 's Gigi was MVP and looks so much like her mom Carrie Fisher. Didn't care for the teacher-student relationship or the shoehorned in new flame and vomiting. Fav scenes: Amy being taken down in the bathroom and the girls getting into the car with the very-aware pizza delivery man.
Rated 02 Jun 2019
The longer this went on, the more I admired it from every angle: Olivia Wilde's fantastic direction, the hilarious and relevant script, the goddamn acting, my god, these kids are outstanding. People have been comparing it to Superbad, but it's better than that. In the tiny moments where the laughs are light, the film exhibits a genuine heart.
Rated 11 Nov 2019
Funny, smart and a meaningful story about friendship. Very enjoyable (even with the German dub) cast and characters. Gigi is by far the best random comedy character in quite some time.
Rated 03 Jul 2019
Really well-crafted and authentic characters trying to enjoy their last night in high school before taking off for college in the next day, but it's too bad there isn't much of a movie around them to really accomplish something more than a bunch of funny situations -- most of the plot is them trying to get to Nick's party, living all sorts of situation on the way (drugs, sexual discoveries, awkward social encounters). It still provides a strong feminist look on school life either way.
Rated 09 Jul 2019
Everything felt half-baked, but I still enjoyed it enough.
Rated 28 May 2019
The Superbad for a new generation. Or a Superbad written with a female touch. Movie is funny and sweet. The characters are crazy but they still were able to remind me of people I went to school with. Direction of some scenes is amazing and experimental in a good way. Although you can tell Wilde is a rookie director from a few of her shots
Rated 09 Jun 2019
This must be the most positive high school in the world.. Beyond amazing film.. The only thing I can take down about this film is the third act being too positive and the teacher sub plot, but the film carries you through so well that it doesn't take down much. Every aspect of this film is amazing, acting, directing, editing, the characters, the pace, the chemistry.. One of the, if not the, best film of 2019 so far.. Maybe the last couple of years..
Rated 02 Nov 2019
I'm pretty far from the target demo but I enjoyed this more than I expected to. The dialogue is clever and funny and the performances are solid across the board with some outstanding performances from the young leads. Demographic be damned, it's just a well made movie..
Rated 26 May 2019
Nothing feels real, and none of the jokes land. Imagine taking high school movie cliches as reality and then building a higher level of movie cliches on top of that. This is that movie.
Rated 25 May 2019
The chemistry between the leads is palpable and believable, it feels like they're friends in reality. It hits all the notes you'd expect from a coming-of-age piece, but it does so gracefully and it doesn't hesitate to flip classic high school tropes upon it's head. The LGBTQ representation feels organic, not pandering and forced. The dialogue is grounded and real. To call it a "female superbad" would be undermining what it has to say; it does more than enough to stand out from lazy comparisons
Rated 23 Feb 2020
(SUPERBAD 2: SUPERWORSE)
Rated 23 Dec 2020
It's got enough funny bits, and the performances are good. The script is half-baked, like it was thrown together during shooting, which is astonishing for something with four writers and a decade of rewrites.
Rated 05 Jun 2019
Feels a little contrived as it sets itself up but the payoff is well worth it: the oddball central duo have great chemistry (see their mutual flattering outside the party) and the rest of the diverse character ensemble all have their moments and even arcs (see Jared's tear-jerking vulnerability). Good writing is made even better by stellar direction: Wilde's theatrical flair (see the ceremony entrance) and excellent use of music perfectly capture the extreme drama and emotion of teen life.
Rated 09 Sep 2019
Continuing the recent resurgence of good teen comedies, Booksmart delivers on all fronts. While I didn't find myself laughing as hard as some its predecessors, Wilde's direction is just so freaking slick. Needle drop after needle drop make the back ground pulse behind really impressive photography. Of course, at the center, are two main characters that I'd love to hang out with.
Rated 19 Aug 2019
The comparisons to SUPERBAD are apt, but this moves quicker and more smoothly, with a fun and cerebral wit that weaves two fully realized and interesting characters together. It's great. I hope Olivia Wilde makes more movies.
Rated 13 Nov 2019
Lots of fun, super cringey.
Rated 01 Jun 2019
The central relationship is stellar: refreshing, hilarious, and touching in turns, though the betrayal beat felt disingenuous. The film is a comedy of substance, focused on friendship and character (primaries and secondaries are given moment, meaning, and laughs), and its humour is effective and smart. Unique in its genre. Strong performances, script, and music. A great comedy and a solid film.
Rated 19 Oct 2019
Funny stuff.
Rated 08 Jun 2020
Superbad for Elizabeth Warren supporters. It was funny, yea. But just a textbook definition of white privilege.
Rated 24 Sep 2019
This movie is awesome. It really brings something new to the coming-of-age table. The leads, Feldstein and Dever, were fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Me currently being a senior, I can relate to this movie. I mean, not all of it, but some. I really loved the new take on it, and thought It was very appropriate for 2019. I think most high schoolers now a-days would relate to this and find It funny. I know I certainly did. Would definitely recommend!
Rated 13 Jun 2019
It treads some very familiar territory, reminiscent in particular of Superbad (Jonah Hill's actual sister? Are you serious?). But it's an acceptable, watchable flick at a time when we're suffering a dry spell of comedies, buoyed by a strong supporting cast and a tight script.
Rated 30 Jan 2021
superbad for kids who were really into hillary clinton. had a lot of very good and also very bad scenes.
Rated 20 Dec 2021
A decent, but disposable comedy full of unlikely shenanigans a la "Harold and Kumar" or "The Hangover". The only edge this one has is that it's also a coming of age story, which adds a degree of emotional weight that other like minded movies don't have, unfortunately this one doesn't quite have the same irreverent, nonstop humor as others.
Rated 25 May 2019
I am jealous that kids get to experience high school in California.
Rated 12 Jan 2020
It's almost exactly like a gender swapped version of Superbad even with its plot devices, choices, and timeline.
Rated 29 May 2019
I really enjoyed this sharp, rapid-fire coming-of-age comedy. Touches just enough on a few issues of the figuring yourself out phase of life to give it a warm heart. I laughed a lot.
Rated 27 May 2019
I really hated it personally. I found the lead female characters so annoying in it. Why make them so goddamn obnoxious and so in-your-face? I found barely anything that funny in it at all. All the other characters are mostly weak and don't offer anything memorable. Nothing made it stand out from your average teen girl Comedy movie. It's predictable, cliche, vulgar, and just plain dumb. The acting is fine, the production values are decent, but it was a massive disappointment for me overall.
Rated 09 Feb 2020
Pissedcuztheychosegradesoverpartying-theydidboth!lool+scissoringaudioloolwasthatcardib?+asianuascalol-stopmotion:P+slapsherfordissingself-howdareyousaythataboutmybestfriend+ponytailmasklmao+niceteacherpicksthemup/cool+theircrushesmakingoutithink-triestomaeheravoiditthenfight-cuzgoingafricawholeyearnotsummer+lessin-barfsonher+mexicanfuckedcoolteacherlol+bailsoutjail+ithinkshedoesntgolol
Rated 22 Aug 2019
Absolutely hated the first few minutes of this and almost turned it off. Really glad I didn't. About halfway through I began to wonder if this was just a watery version of Superbad but then 75% through I saw how much feeling it had. When the story focuses on the two main characters as the film ramps up, the whole thing flourishes. These types of films are usually weaker in the second half but this is the total opposite and for that I give it high marks. I can't ignore the AWFUL beginning, though
Rated 01 Oct 2020
Funny or engaging sometimes, but mostly very familiar territory.
Rated 17 Aug 2021
The concept of "Coming of Age" sub-genre always has intrigued me. A lot of these ones done well do appeal to very relatable emotions and stories. Booksmart is no different in that regard. It's pretty good, as it leads were phenomenal and it does have one of the best endings I've seen for these types of movies. They are little sprinkles throughout this that feel like a spin on SuperBad, and props to Wilde for executing this nice little story. Nice little addition to this sub-genre.
Rated 27 May 2019
even with some traditional high school movie tropes and the usual beautiful-teenager-syndrome that feels weird in a post Eighth Grade world, the charm is there enough for me to concede this is enjoyable, even if it's not for me.
Rated 09 Jan 2020
Loved this delightful romp, jeez. It's fucking emotionally honest, the characters are types, but they're freshly rendered in this. Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein are a riot, while Billie Lourd is fucking killing it, I wanna see her in everything (SW totally wasted her, but if she's anything like her mom, she has a long career ahead). The comedic timing was great, the pool scene was beautiful, and the emotional pay-off GOT ME. Loved to see these girls learn how to have fun.
Rated 16 Aug 2021
The two stages of US school comedies: 1 Present audience with a collection of teenage stereotypes. 2 Rebuke audience for judging a book by its cover.
Rated 05 Oct 2019
Great, fresh comedy | •Lovely & touching friendship - 2 very strong YA actresses in both comedy & emotional scenes | •VERY funny | Dolls scene both laugh outloud entertaining & fascinating departure from the rest of the film & this type of genre in general | Damn! but [??Olivia Wilde??] now officially = my fantasy woman: Beautiful, really stretching her acting range recently , and now this as HER FIRST DIRECTING EFFORT - Wow! ?
Rated 18 Jun 2019
Hilarious! More is more. Men extra allt blir till slut lite tröttsamt. Så fastän jag skrattade ganska mycket blir betyget bara en trea. Beanie Feldstein har dock tajmingen som komedienne.
Rated 24 May 2019
Basically Superbad-lite (down to Jonah's genes) just less funny and less cohesive. It's touching final few acts bump it up some. A good time.
Rated 07 Jun 2019
A really great highschool/coming of age film, definitely my favorite since Edge of Seventeen. Funny, heartfelt and with a large bench of memorable supporting characters. A very strong directorial debut.
Rated 14 Sep 2019
Every decade needs a Superbad
Rated 09 Aug 2021
Could have been called Superbad 2: This Time With More Estrogen
Rated 27 May 2019
It's quite a funny debut from Olivia Wilde. A few moments that I felt were unpolished, but it's hard to not adore this quirky, cute, teen comedy, especially with a highly like-able cast.
Rated 11 Sep 2019
This was really hard to watch for me.
Rated 22 Oct 2020
Not just your typical teen comedy, though just as much fun. Much like the title, the story is very smart and has a lot of heart. What makes this special is the chemistry the two leads share and they do feel like lifelong friends, so when they go through this "one night" you feel all the ups and downs with them.
Rated 16 Aug 2019
Saw in early June of 2019, in a seat that was too close to the screen, in crappy Marcus Majestic Theater. Unfortunately, missed the first four or so minutes. Felt like this movie missed out on realizing a lot of potential and easily could have been much better than it was.
Rated 20 Mar 2020
Phenomenal soundtrack
Rated 30 Jan 2021
Two great lead performances and some nice editing and creative moments but it was a story I felt like I'd seen before, with an uninteresting messy plot. Wasn't particularly funny, depsite how hard it was trying to be superbad. It was also quirky for the sake of being quirky. Most of it didnt land for me. It got a bit more interesting towards the end.
Rated 10 Jul 2019
this movie is to superbad what ladybird was to juno: a weak attempt at capturing a humor it was incapable of getting down, with all the jokes falling flat
Rated 03 Jun 2019
Another passable coming of age comedy with the newly obligatory LGBTQ element. it's getting out of hand.
Rated 08 Oct 2021
Extremely fun coming of age movie, more stylish than your average teen party movie, and filled with charming characters. First movie I've seen in awhile, had a genuinely great time watching it.
Rated 31 Jan 2022
The female Superbad is not quite as funny, but it is still funny, and considerably smarter. Impressive debut from Wilde.
Rated 28 May 2019
I think this movie is made for kids. It's definitely not made for me, and I don't even consider myself an adult. It's structured for an audience with little to no attention span: every three minutes we're treated to a new setting with new crazy lighting, new wacky characters, and new hip music. What's worse: All characters are stereotypes, people show up in multiple places for no reason, and they make consistently nonsensical decisions.
Rated 05 Jun 2019
Almost exactly the same as Superbad and with Hills sister which is hilarious. Nowhere near as funny tho and it doesn't have as much to say (Superbad is one of the more underrated films of the 2000s), but these teen comedies you can just pump it straight into my veins.
Rated 30 Oct 2019
Somewhat entertaining but not very original.
#19#, exp3, rw3, story, ratings
Rated 15 Jan 2020
Basically, a female version of Superbad. Funny, smart and entertaining.
Rated 06 Aug 2019
Enjoyable but much too aware of itself and the times we are living in. I like it more when teen comedies are just about making dumb jokes and making profit of people who enjoy the dumb jokes.
Rated 02 Jun 2019
Not as many straight up jokes as I like to have in a teen coming of age movie but still incredible in so many way. The underwater scene in particular
Rated 22 Dec 2019
I honestly loved this. I was expecting this to basically just be a genderswapped Superbad, and while there are some elements in there like that, it feels a lot more genuine and therefore drew me in more. Honestly I could have watched another hour of this movie.
Rated 24 Sep 2019
Few mildly entertaining moments that ultimately doesn't really bring anything new. Leads do well yet I don't feel any need to revisit.
Rated 16 Dec 2019
Takes awhile to get going for me but the weird fever dreams interspersed throughout were the little shot in the arm the movie needed. It's just so weird sometimes. There's really witty dialogue and more than enough cringe to go around, and about as close to an American Pie or Superbad that we're likely to get in 2019, complete with some serviceable 80s/90s bombast. It's weighed down a little bit (unfortunately) by the big blowup, but the ending is satisfying for sure. It's worth checking out.
Rated 24 Aug 2019
Do not watch the trailer before you watch this movie because it'll ruin half of the jokes. But yeah, that unpleasantness aside, this is a very good movie. It's not necessarily a fresh take because almost all the usual tropes are there, but the acting and the pace is really good so that becomes forgivable. I'll put this one a notch below all the recent great teenage movies though.
Rated 05 Dec 2020
While not as consistently funny as the strongest comedies of the past decade, Booksmart is a refreshingly intelligent take on the classic coming-of-age story which deftly skirts the line of over-the-top and very real. When the laughs do hit, they hit hard.
Rated 13 Feb 2023
Fabulous movie that is funny and oddly moving in the last act. Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever are both excellent.
Rated 03 Sep 2023
Saw the G rated cut on VH1 but still pretty funny. The whole drug episode was a little too conveniently short, and in general, the movie felt as typically contrived as most high school party movies. But, I did laugh occasionally which I guess is the point.
Rated 25 Nov 2019
The 'Female Superbad' descriptions have been common but after seeing Booksmart the parallels between the two are almost distracting with how many similar narrative beats occur through the runtime. Still, like the movie it mimics, Booksmart is funny and that's the main thing. Great cast of characters, but unfortunately there are some jarring story twists towards the end that seem to be for dramatic convenience rather than believably earned and this let the climax down somewhat for me.
Rated 05 Jun 2021
Funny and with moments of truthful insights into humans as complete human beings instead of stereotypes.
Rated 25 Dec 2019
Billie Lourd was absolutley delightul in her turn as spaced-out angel/guide Gigi. The rest of the acting was bog-standard. I understand it was part of the character but the way Beanie Feldstein's Molly was written really made her hard to root for. It really brought down the rest of the movie.
Rated 07 Jun 2019
Good film. Strong acting from the leads, and while the supporting cast was considerably weaker, it didn't detract from the hilarity. It's like Superbad, but better.
Rated 14 Jan 2020
Superbad with women.
Rated 02 Nov 2019
Great soundtrack.
Rated 11 Jul 2022
So it's like Bill & Ted but with girls? I always wondered why this hasn't been done before. Good not great. Be excellent to each other.
Rated 12 Dec 2019
Pros: accurate depiction of high school; Feldstein/Dever acting & chemistry; Billie Lourd Cons: bit too much cringe humor
Rated 06 Aug 2021
7???????????????
Rated 05 Mar 2022
A movie that took me by surprise, a very fun watch.
Rated 12 Apr 2022
i laughed once and it was the korean face masks
Rated 20 Oct 2020
Obligatory reference to Superbad. Occasionally very funny, but unoriginal and out of touch. Most of the supporting cast were better/funnier than the leads. All of these movies have to be at the richest, most elite high school.
Rated 31 Oct 2021
Very sharply put together, if having some moments where it drags it heels narratively. Wilde has loads of potential behind the camera.
Rated 25 May 2019
Extremely fun, smart, and sweet. Great soundtrack. The swimming pool scene is perfect. A beautiful movie
Rated 08 Dec 2020
Totally fun and cute, warming and breaking my heart with all the right buttons. I see it somewhere between Superbad and Wonder, with its respect to the real-human complexity of each character and almost everyone getting a chance to tell a bit of their story. It's also far more creative in every departament than any average high school comedy.