Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

1992
Comedy, Fantasy
A flighty teenage girl learns that she is her generation's destined battler of vampires.
Cinemax Amazon Channel
Max Amazon Channel
Max
Cinemax Apple TV Channel

The valley girl has gone the way of Kristy Swanson (it's disappeared off the face of the Earth except to periodically show up on the SyFy channel) and all for the better. But this is an entertaining movie with a pretty amazing cast when you look at it. I didn't even know Ben Affleck and Hillary Swank were in a movie together. Thomas Jane and David Arquette? I've got to watch this again.
Kristy the Movie Carrier The story is weak but it’s nice to look at, like you know, whatever! Buffy gets cramps when vampires are nearby, the same thing happens to me with dairy.
Viewed February 25, 2022. Kristy Swanson’s performance is charming enough, and I guess it’s cool when she kicks the stakes into the vampires’ hearts. But the studied cleverness of Joss Whedon’s dialogue is actively, irredeemably annoying and, despite the flailing efforts of the stacked cast, not a single joke in the movie is good. Somehow, Whedon converted his elevated version of hack writing into a popular and critically acclaimed career. Good riddance.
How did Joss Whedon manage to get a seven season TV series from this?
Perhaps I could forgive the shoddy outfits and production values (I did for the 1st season of the TV series), but the slang-filled dialogue is forced and downright atrocious. The performances aren't much better ranging from forgettable to bad. There are a few funny moments, though the film is too inconsistent for them to land. This film's legacy stands solely on the success of the TV show, existing as curiosity rather than on its own merits.

Submitted bygrendelGrendel on 16 Jul 2006