Caddyshack

Sport

Rated 29 Jul 2019
You! Pick up that blood.
Rated 11 Aug 2016
In my eyes Dangerfield is the heart of screwball comedy and this is the film for him to let loose and shine. Murray and Chase compel you to watch closely but never really seem to unleash any top tier funny. The whole film just kind of bumps along. In one way it's timeless and in another more realistic way it's very dated.
Rated 12 Oct 2007
Not really as funny as I'd expect from a movie held to be so legendary.
Rated 31 Aug 2009
SPAULDLING GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE BOAT!
Rated 07 Jan 2016
A basically formless comedy with an unexceptional premise and script that nonetheless does what a good comedy should: it gives a group of extremely talented performers an opportunity to do what they do best in a way that is neither cynical nor mean spirited.
Rated 05 Dec 2012
Having heard this films name many times over the years figured I'd watch it while I was checking out some other films with Bill Murray. This just really irritated me, and I had no idea what was going on half the time. The teenage lead character is dreadful, although some of the supporting cast are quite funny. It's not even worth watching this film for Murray; He has little screen time or laughs until towards the end.
Rated 23 Dec 2015
I swear, Dangerfield must've had cocaine for breakfast every morning.
Rated 31 Dec 2012
To be honest, this movie never did much for me.
Rated 03 Dec 2011
Big-name actors like Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfield manage to pull it out of the dirt a bit, but most of the gags are just poorly made.
You don't have to love this movie, this isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia. (But you should love it)
Rated 04 Nov 2016
I could have watched this for the scene where Bill Murray ruins the flowerbed alone. This is a movie where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole - I enjoyed the individual performances of the notable comedic actors more than how it worked all together, which is not a bad thing because it seems built to deliver gags (I'm not sure they would have had an obviously robotic gopher if that wasn't the case). Some great dialogue, and a nice anarchic, anti-establishment ethic.
Rated 11 Sep 2015
With only the most minimal of plots, Caddyshack is more a series of comedy sketches set on a golf course than anything else, so when they don't hit home, it feels pretty bland, but when they do, it's quite entertaining-and with a great set of characters (Chase's mellow Ty, Dangerfield's obnoxious Al, Knight's uppity Smails, Murray's offbeat Carl) it usually is. Smails' tantrums and Carl's strange ramblings (his long scene with Ty is uproarious) are two particular standout aspects here.
Rated 16 Oct 2011
This isn't funny at all. Chevy Chase is the only decent comedian in the whole cast, but unfortunately doesn't have any decent material to work with here. Nearly all his lines are crap. Bill Murray is not funny, period. I've yet to see him successfully carry a comedic role in anything. Plus his character is pointless. Dangerfield is lousy, the lead is forgettable, and the rest of the cast is a bore as well. No idea why this movie is so famous.
Rated 19 Nov 2007
A little too much at times but pretty funny.
Rated 05 Mar 2008
I suppose that it is an American classic of comedy. But I think that is done badly, very rotten, with bad jokes.
Rated 09 Sep 2011
Ehhhhhhh, wish I liked this but no. Well, Murray and Chase were good.
Rated 03 May 2008
Kind of boring and lackluster, I thought. I realize this opinion won't make me too popular, but there are plenty of other comedies I prefer. This one just didn't make me laugh...well, at all. It's decent, but I just can't see the riotous humor in it that it's apparently saturated it.
Rated 05 Jun 2016
Goofy but I'd watch it again - comedy that lags at times, but broke boundaries when it was released.
Rated 13 Jun 2018
More a series of sketches than a real movie, and perhaps the ultimate example of a film failing to live up to the sum of its parts; some breathlessly hilarious moments (mostly the Knight-Dangerfield feud, though the puppet gopher is also a scream) sit uneasily with the bland, conventional scenes with O'Keefe and nominal 'star' Chase (who both seem to be spirited in from a different, more grounded movie). Generally good natured enough to sustain itself during the sleepy moments.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
Why people like this, I don't know. Funny scene in the pool, but otherwise I didn't like it. This movie is the opposite of Rodney: It gets too much respect.
Rated 27 Dec 2017
I don't quite get why this is so highly regarded among 80's comedies. It's OK but also a bit disjointed: Chase gets top billing but he's more like a co-star, O'Keefe is a bit bland as the lead and Dangerfield's shtick feels outdated. Murray is still establishing himself here and his character feels irrelevant. I would probably enjoy this a lot more had I seen it in the 80's like the Fletch and Vacation films, but for some reason this one escaped me and now feels outdated.
Rated 03 Aug 2014
I wish this was the sprawling epic of comedy movies it seems like it could have been rather than the slapdash-edited piece of improv riffing it is, but as a piece of very improvised actors-being-funny comedy it far outshines the glut of more recent films which aim for the same thing. A plot which goes a thousand different directions can easily be ignored when you have a film ending with "We're all gonna get laid!"
Rated 19 Jan 2013
I dunno.
Rated 29 May 2017
The best of the best? Certainly not. But Caddyshack does its part to keep you more than entertained for almost all of its run time. Bill Murray steals the show, but the rest of the cast doesn't slouch. Most of the jokes land, and its ending has become near-classic. A good one to show the family for sure.
Rated 29 Mar 2011
Chase is overrated in this, but it is more than made up for by an amazing comedic performance by Ted Knight. I wish he was in more films.
Rated 27 Jun 2010
Simple, nice, and likeable, but it's really hard to see why this film has the cult status and appreciation it does. An awful lot of scenes go on for several minutes without any jokes or plot-relevant events happening.
Rated 29 Jun 2010
It's beyond me how anyone can like Dangerfield. I can't stand the guy. Even though this film is considered comedy classic, I didn't enjoy it any more than any random teen comedy. Well, of course Murray as always is a comic genius.
Rated 24 Feb 2013
Weird mess with classic Chase and Murray.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
Although I didn't enjoy it as much as many other people (is Bill Murray supposed to be funny in this?) there's one thing that makes this film worth watching: Rodney Dangerfield. Seriously, the man is hilarious. It are some other good characters, but, really, Dangerfield is the scene stealer.
Rated 22 Nov 2016
Doodie alert!
Rated 22 Dec 2006
A legend. Created with only an outline, this film is almost entirely improve and shot in only a few days. a masterpiece of American Pop Culture
Rated 27 Dec 2006
I guess I'm missing something here. This isn't the funniest movie in the Universe to me. It's also NOT very quotable either. It is funny and there is some bonus nudity, but it's overhyped.
Rated 28 Dec 2006
Classic.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
american style i only liked the parts that bill murray in it
Rated 22 Feb 2021
Rated 31 Jan 2024
I was barely born when this came out, but I do enjoy it, though I don't regard it as a classic. Best bits were Chevy Chase's antics.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
Bizarre 80's golf film. Synchronised swimming, O'Keefe has era hair, divine lightning murder, gopher sideshow and Dangerfield's rich white man boat drives straight through the black man's tinned equivalent. Pretty great final line though.
Rated 17 Jan 2012
I quite enjoyed this when it first came out. However, I watched it again recently I did not find it as entertaining as I remember. Still it has a few good comedy moments.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Has its moments.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
This is really one of the best comedies ever made.
Rated 28 Mar 2007
One of the best comedies ever
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Damn funny...classic
Rated 24 Oct 2021
Strange movie, given its reputation as an uproarious comedy. Chevy Chase is dialed to negative 11, and yet he crushes it, in contrast to the constant idiocy of Dangerfield and Ted Knight's Smails.
Rated 17 Dec 2011
Bill Murray steals the show in this funny comedy. There is a nice mix of actors in this film. Rodney Dangerfield's shtick can get tiring if there is too much of him, but he is used just the right amount in this movie. Chevy Chase also gives a funny performance, one of his best.
Rated 11 Jul 2007
Great
Rated 12 Jul 2007
A classic 80s comedy. Chevy Chase and Bill Murray are both hilarious.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Oddly enough I didn't find this all that funny. Maybe I should rewatch it.
Goofy and mildly entertaining. The basic plot lacked direction.
Rated 07 Feb 2020
40 years from its release and I feel Caddyshack hasn't aged well. In fact, I feel that it was never that funny to begin with. Murray steals every scene he's in. Chase has a John-Cleese-esque presence that's one part charm mixed with another part silly slapstick. Most of the jokes didn't land for me, and the entire film applauding the nouveau-riche feels tired, even by 80's standards.
Aside from Back by Midnight, there is no such thing as a bad Rodney Dangerfield movie. Caddyshack takes an excellent cast and a mediocre premise and delivers a very entertaining movie. However, Caddyshack does suffer in multiple viewings, as you remember the slow and unfunny parts, rather than the outstanding comedic work that peppers the film.
Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield eh... not a bad combo. Lot's of good old-school comedy in this one, but if you're not a fan of the comedy of this era then don't get your hopes up.
Best comedy of all time? Has to be up there. Can't think of another movie with more top tier comedians in their prime (Murray, Dangerfield, Chase, and Knight)...most quotable movie of all time?
Rated 30 Nov 2015
A-
Rated 07 Feb 2012
Silly, but entertaining. The cast is pretty good and it has some great quotes. The second half loses some steam though.
Rated 13 Sep 2007
I don't golf, and I'm sick of hearing this one quoted... but it is a classic, and Bill Murray's character is a legend.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Uneven comedy still has enough moments to make it memorable.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Another of Harold Ramis's funny movies with a fabulous cast.
Rated 08 Jun 2019
It's a Cinderella story. Gunga Lagunga-no-Gunga Galunga. Very few movies have made me laugh this much. I've seen it, or parts of it, more than I could count, but it never fails me. I know what's coming, but it doesn't matter.
Rated 03 Sep 2012
One of my favorite comedies when I was young. Silly, obnoxious, goofy fun.
Rated 13 Nov 2007
Funny as HELL
Rated 16 Nov 2007
i know it's a classic and all, but eh.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
Dangerfield and nothing else. This movie must have aged very poorly.
Rated 02 Sep 2022
I know parts of this movie would get cancelled today. So what. It is funny, and worth watching.
Rated 12 Jul 2012
Though unabashedly crude and juvenile, Caddyshack nevertheless scores with its classic slapstick, unforgettable characters, and endlessly quotable dialogue.
Rated 09 May 2008
great film love the gopher
Rated 15 May 2008
Slightly overrated but still enjoyable
Rated 19 Jul 2008
Classic comedy. Bill Murray is the best.
Rated 07 Aug 2018
Unpleasant.
Rated 11 Jul 2012
Silly, anarchic, all over the place and fun.
Rated 21 Jul 2011
CADDYSHACK is uneven, but even the low points are still reasonably engaging, and the high points are pretty damn hilarious. The struggles of caddy Danny Noonan (Michael O'Keefe) are the ostensible core of the film, and they're good-natured and amusing. But it's the antics among the golf club members that work best, namely the peerless Rodney Dangerfield, here at his best. I still find Bill Murray overrated, but he's not bad here, as the semi-civilized groundskeeper. The final line is a classic.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
Great Classic
Rated 19 Jan 2009
watchable as a matinée.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
pool or pond, pond would be good for you.
Rated 06 Feb 2009
Bill Murray, Dangerfield & Chevy Chase. All at their best. Loses a few points because the focus of the film wasn't on them enough.
Rated 17 Apr 2024
"Caddyshack" pokes fun at elitism through exaggerated characters with a country club golf course as the backdrop, where the caddies symbolize the everyday person. The film is renowned for its memorable one-liners that have resonated with and defined a generation.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
What a great mess this movie is
Rated 10 Jun 2011
Bill Murray's performance alone makes Caddyshack one of the all time great comedies. Throw in some Rodney Dangerfield and you get a proven winner that can even overcome the horrific presence of Chevy Chase.
Rated 12 Mar 2009
Funny, relected an attitude that represented a segment of the population.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Golfers love this movie and even those of us who don't play golf find it very funny. I mean, it has Billy Murry and Chevy Chase as well as a goofy Rodney Dangerfield. Like it a lot.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Funny film, not much of a story, but who really cares. Shut up and enjoy.
Rated 16 Jun 2009
Maybe the perfect comedy. If I was a golfer, I'd almost surely give it a hundo.
Rated 15 May 2018
Disappointed is one way to describe my experience with this film. The sideplot with the gopher and Bill Murray is great, but its so uneven that it fails to consistently be good. Chevy Chase is banking on the fact he is a star and the rest of the movie fails to stand out.
Rated 09 Feb 2015
Does not hold up well over the years, but still a weak recommendation.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
Right up there as my favorite sports film.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Just a great comedy. Chevy and Murray are pure class, and this is my favourite appearence of Rodney Dangerfield in just about anything. Its a silly film, but in the very best possible way.
Rated 23 Aug 2009
It's Caddyshack for God's sake!
Rated 29 Aug 2009
An above average stupid comedy. Murray, Dangerfield, and Chase effortlessly toss out one-liners for most of the film. Tons of quotable lines.
Rated 25 May 2011
What people forget is that this is half of a very good comedy. The lead character is a charisma vacuum that becomes ever more glaring the more times I see the film.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
Not bad, the parts with Bill Murray were really enjoyable!
Rated 22 Feb 2010
What can you say about Caddyshack. Funny? Check. Bathroom Humor? Check. Nudity? Check. Bill Murray? Check. Explosive ending? Check. Not needed sequel? Check. Caddyshack, though perhaps not as funny today as it once was, remains a quintessential american comedy, and among Bill Murray's funniest moments.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
Bill Murray.
Rated 10 Mar 2010
A classic.
Rated 20 Apr 2014
Rated 21 Nov 2016
Very funny but not among my all time favorite comedies
Rated 24 Jun 2010
About as inoffensive a movie as you can imagine.
Rated 11 Aug 2010
Phenomenal.
Rated 19 Apr 2017
It has its moments, but they aren't numerous enough to make this more than a middling comedy IMO. I didn't "get" Murray's character, but Knight and Chase are ok. Dangerfield is funny. Disappointed given the film's reputation.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
Worth watching in snippets for Dangerfield's performance. When he isn't on screen the movie misses him.
Rated 23 Dec 2010
One of the funniest comedies of all time
Rated 24 Feb 2011
Terribly unfunny and innocuos in the very worst way possible.