Captain America: Civil War

2016
Sci-fi
Fantasy

Rated 06 May 2016
This movie is unquestionably serious about it's explored topics. Definitely doesn't play nice in my book. The Russo brothers have succeeded yet again in the direction they took this and the action and fight scenes are all really intense and well done. The last 20 or so minutes of this film really blew me away to be honest! Good performances and it develops some of the characters even further. New characters will be fun to watch in the future. I even ended up loving Bruhl. Definitely worth it!
Rated 04 Jun 2016
Undoubtedly a technical accomplishment. I disliked the weak plot that had them drawing sides & pitting Avenger versus Avenger. It all started to feel like pro wrestling, which I have no tolerance for. Still there is a lot of action, & several satisfying fight moments, so it's easy to find stuff to like. I just wish the writing was not so contrived & everything was not built upon the flimsy premise of revenge over collateral damage. It probably sounded better on paper.
Rated 22 May 2016
Delivers what we've come to expect from Marvel - slick, fun, quip-filled, fast-paced, action-packed entertainment, with a nod or two towards deeper themes (that are never fully explored or allowed to truly shake up the status quo). It's a popcorn movie, to be sure, but still professional, high-quality popcorn.
Rated 20 Apr 2016
The (new) super hero formula now has more than 15 years on it's back and has turned into an annoying teenager that just says "talk to the hand" every time you try to criticise it for being the same shit in different leather/iron/lycra outfit. Civil War is just that, and once again the MCU managed to fuck up the original and engaging story that is the amazing comic books in order to please the masses that just want another 150 min. of action shabangs while they eat popcorn like zombies eat flesh.
Rated 06 May 2016
Easily the most enjoyable Marvel film since the first Avengers, and in many ways it plays more like just that, an Avengers film, but without the restricting "what major city are we trashing this month?" formula. Like Winter Soldier before it, Civil War manages to combine engaging action and superhero hi jinx with a dash of more mature subtext, and once again the Russos are able to steer and pace the whole insane circus quite masterfully.
Rated 09 May 2016
I enjoyed how a lot of elements from previous MCU outings come together here. I got legit giddy (legiddy) when characters and agendas started intermingling, maybe helped by having avoided most of the promo-and-spoiler-onslaught. Doesn't reach the heights of Winter Soldier action- or plotwise, but this felt comicbooky in all the right ways. Oh, and that shot of Vision floating by himself in a barely lit room at night? Goosebumps. ...I'm going to die alone in a pile of comics, aren't I?
Rated 02 May 2016
Can't believe this was made by the same creative team behind The Winter Soldier. Reaffirms once and for all that no amount of mindless action or over-choreographed fight scenes will ever compensate for the lack of an engaging narrative or genuine dramatic momentum, especially when that said spectacle is the equivalent of a bunch of nerdy teenagers taking part in a huge game of live action role-playing. Stark's initial meeting with Spidey stands as the highlight of this wholly redundant sequel.
Rated 18 Jun 2016
I was lamenting the lack of importance to any of the plot points when I mentioned that the whole fear of government control never even came into play. At this point I was reminded that half the team was jailed! Maybe it's the over abundance of superhero movies, maybe it's the fuddy duddy monocle wearing art house snob inside me, but there is no weight to imprisoning an Avenger. If they don't break themselves out, the bad guys will. These movies are 70% treading water.
Rated 01 May 2016
Civil War is one of the most enjoyable & fan pleasing additions in the MCU yet. The Russo Brothers have shaken up the MCU and they don't tip-toe around the premise of Civil War. There's so much more at stake and the action and set pieces are wonderful. Chris Evans & Robert Downey Jr. are the heartbeat of this showdown and new additions Black Panther and at long last Spider-Man are absolutely perfect. This seamlessly serves as both Cap 3 and Avengers 2.5 and Phase 3 is off to an incredible start.
Rated 06 May 2016
I usually really enjoy superhero movies these days, and I'm not ashamed. This is another Marvel movie, but the formula continues to work. There is some heart, and some great action, and the plot moves along at a brisk pace, but people who haven't seen other movies won't know what's going on. Superhero overload hasn't set in for me yet, so I appreciate what they've done here. Still engaging and exciting, even while lacking a sense of gravitas. Separate oneself from Civil War comics, however.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
This is when Marvel finally finds a way to depict their beloved, talky and unbeatable heroes -- or should I say assets? -- as a group of morally flawed, far-from-innocent vigilantes. Of course, the studio has to introduce a new batch of action figures, but Civil War also manages to tone down the irony in order to make it not about villains and evil dudes trying to destroy humanity, but people that dies everytime the Avengers show up and how it affects us and them. Also: Ant-Man and Spidey shine.
Rated 01 May 2016
Marvel movie that, for the first time, fully captures the Big Top thrills and good-heartedness of Rami's Spiderman that kicked all this off in the first place. The Russo brothers give us the same Greengrass-esque thriller we saw in Winter Soldier - smart, fast, brutal, competent - but shift gears half way through to give us some true family entertainment that had every child in the theatre cackling with glee. When it goes all dark for the last act they've earned every over-wrought moment of it.
Rated 01 May 2016
That's more like it, compared both to Avengers 2 and Psycho Bat vs Boyscout. A conflict that couldn't have been solved by 10 seconds of dialogue, some actual character development, a good amount of humour that doesn't take over too much... That it comes with a side of "Suggesting that Supermen should answer to things like democracy and the rule of law is like FASCISM" is part of the package, I guess. And thanks for not making us sit through Spiderman's backstory again.
Rated 07 May 2016
Easily a better Avengers 2 than the actual Avengers 2, with strong conflicts between the characters a lot of exciting action with a good bit of OOMPH to it. A very solid intro to Black Panther. Spidey's intro was kind of awkward and forced, but he worked well once he got into the action. The big airport superhero brawl satisfies, although I will say that I started to feel the film's length a little after that point.
Rated 08 May 2016
Very satisfied. Works better as a follow-up than Age of Ultron. Despite everything, it never feels bloated or overstuffed. Every character gets great moments. It was surprisingly emotionally-affecting, especially between Steve & Tony. I loved the new characters. The action scenes were awesome - the big set piece was thrilling and I could've watched another 30 minutes of it. The plot isn't amazing, but I don't care. I loved that it took its time. Fun, smart, well-made, spectacular. I loved it.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
The way they seamlessly introduced new characters into the fold and not disrupt the flow was quite impressive. It is a little bloated and does take its time to build the story but some of the battles and set pieces are worth it. Whilst I still don't buy the motivation of the villain, they still have constructed a solid story (with a twist) to fit the Marvel universe that they have created.
Rated 30 Apr 2016
Thank God for Spider-Man and Ant-Man. Otherwise this would have been on the same lousy level as Age of Ultron.
Rated 30 Apr 2016
This is a backdoor Avengers movie,but better than Age of Ultron. Dat airport scene,jeez. Successfully introduced both Spidey and Black Panther in amazing ways. Warners need to watch this so they learn that it's OK to put some fucking jokes in their DC movies,miserable bastards.
Rated 06 May 2016
The real Avengers sequel. As is the case with most fanboy cinema nowadays, it is full of post-9/11 parables. In particular we see how the threat of an invisible enemy forces heroes to trade in security for freedom. The Se7en like genius of the bad guy creates an ending (appropriately) worthy of The Empire Strikes Back's emotional impact. The action sequences (especially the airport scene), humor (Spidey), and fights (the final one) are great & worth seeing on the big screen. Highly recommended.
Rated 06 May 2016
Our superheroes are done punching other people. Now it's time for them to punch each other over an escalating series of misunderstandings. Concerns over superhero fatigue have been aired for years, but while well-made and frequently very fun, Civil War still sinks into genre issues - overlong, overstuffed, sequel hooks and spinoff chances galore. It has two climaxes and a cipher of a villain; it refuses to make hard choices. Bring on the MCU's first endgame - the breaking point is close by.
Rated 06 May 2016
Come for the spectacle, stay because you paid $9.75 for a ticket and heard that Spider-Man shows up at some point.
Rated 07 May 2016
This Marvelverse is getting more mature -- you can tell by the salty language! And also the themes of consequences and responsibility. It's amazing watching this after Bats vs Supes, which was so heavyhanded it became nonsensical and obnoxious. Civil War has the same gimmick, but both sides are sympathetic and realistic, and real stakes are involved. And it's fun! It's still fun to watch these movies. Spider-Man (a personal fave) is nailed perfectly and is a real delight.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
Hooted when they show the different locations being destroyed, entire city blocks leveled etc then the final one is the corner of a building in a who cares country and everyone shits. Wish I had the magic glasses that let you relive past memories so I can delude myself into enjoying Avenger Marvel films. Marisa Tomei is Aunt May ... WHAT. wake me up when Ant man runs up a guy's dick hole and punches his kidney out
Rated 05 May 2016
All shallow foreplay, no action to remember. The new-new Spidey is hilarious, though.
MCU: Royal Rumble
Rated 06 May 2016
One issue w/ CA:CW is how contrived the sorting of heroes into two camps feels. Why Rogers et al. choose their sides is not organic but a matter of narrative necessity, a means to an end (superheroes clobbering each other). Its ostensibly serious themes -- within an international democratic context, on whose authority should militaristic forces act? -- are thus trivialized. CA:CW ultimately upholds their privilege to act as they see fit because they are unimpeachably the good guys. How quaint.
Rated 08 May 2016
The latest installment in the 'Captain America' trilogy sets the bar for blockbuster superhero brawls with its impressively utilized cast of iconic characters and engaging moral dilemmas. With the Russos at the helm, the Marvel movie machine rolls on unfettered and with a near-unrivaled level of efficiency.
Rated 21 May 2016
Oh Captain, my Captain...is this the best Marvel movie? Just might be! Easily has the best Spider-man ever to be captured on screen (and it did it in just under 20 minutes) The airport battle will be talked about for ages as the pinnacle of superhero fights. Black Panther also shines, as Chadwick Boseman impresses with a stoic performance (not to mention a kickass African accent!) The thief of the show though has to go to Ant-Man (Paul Rudd, you beautiful bastard...ya did it again)
Rated 08 May 2016
The hype for this one is deserved. The characterizations in the M movies have always been well defined, and they rely on those effectively here to set up the conflicts. It all feels justified, which is a feat. Consider how hammy this concept could have felt. They balance a number of characters, action, and humor which is why so many call it Avengers 3. Make no mistake though, this is a story about relationships (Cap/Bucky, Cap/Stark, Cap/WIlson, even Stark/Rhodey.) Very strong entry.
Rated 08 May 2016
For comic book fans who grew up with these characters or fans of superhero films, it's difficult to overstate what an accomplishment this is. Sure, the twist at the end that detours from exactly what's expected means part of the villain's plot makes little sense, but that's a small quibble in a project of such size. It's taken 8 years of careful character-based building to reach this point & so this tapestry feels far more like watching friends fight, rather than a standard hero slug-fest .
Rated 10 May 2016
Finally: an action film, a superhero film no less, that doesn't use internal conflict as just a passing notion or a theme. The movie is very serious about it's political and ethical conflicts, and unlike DC's take on heroes fighting each other, not only do you understand and sympathize with both sides of the argument, but you empathize with these characters and feel the tension. Not to mention creative and satisfying action, and possibly the best Spider-Man put to film!
Rated 12 Dec 2017
In Marvel's attempt to reinforce their shared universe, "Civil War" loses it's identity as a Captain America movie at all and simply becomes an Avenger's housekeeping installment. It might end up paying off in a longer story arc, but taken alone, this movie is a let down.
Rated 07 Sep 2016
It takes a while to get the pieces in place, and sometimes struggles to cover to all the characters, but this is superior comic book fare. The set-up is more involving than the usual suspects hammering waves of faceless enemies; death and destruction is given gravity here. Some of the conflicts feel a bit forced or rushed, but play out well, and the film concludes on a satisfying note. The battle scenes are impressive. We might be reaching saturation point with these films, but they still work.
Rated 29 Apr 2016
A fun flick whose ambition extends to about as much as you'd expect from a Marvel Studios movie, ie enough to shake the characters logistics a bit but not by a whole lot; wouldn't want something reproachable to succeed and hurt merchandising.
Rated 04 May 2016
When you watch this it's the same feeling you get picking a random superhero team crossover title off the rack in the 90's. If you didn't follow the other stories in other books you would be lost. It's come full circle where the movies feel like their comic book arcing plotline roots. The Russos take this further with more spy thriller moments. Overall this is a great entry but the endless title cards, disconnected plot elements, and iffy character motivations weakens what could have been great.
Rated 07 May 2016
Finally a really awesome Marvel movie without anything to scream about. Characters are like they should be, the story is great and action is super. If you don't like this, then you probably don't like comics either. Check it out!
Rated 08 May 2016
It's pretty fun but do these movies really need to be 2 hours and 30 minutes. There are some repetitive fights and the villain is pretty damn lame. Black Panther was bad ass and Ant-Man + Spider-Man were fine small editions. I wish we didn't live in this internet age and those last two guys would have been a fun surprise instead of nerds online ruining it by talking about it incessantly. Oh well.
Rated 08 May 2016
Lot's of fighting and action of assorted kinds but too much blah, blah, blah in between. And then a whole bunch of guys who can't really be hurt are punched and kicked by another bunch of guys who can't really be hurt all the while trashing a German airport. Perfectly suited for the summer movie scene. Yawn.
Rated 09 May 2016
Sadly it can't live up to the majesty that was The Winter Soldier. With an awesome mid-film fight and a great cast of characters this should have been a home-run, yet it felt over-crowded and unfocused much of the time. But despite its shortcomings, Civil War continues the legacy of charm and wit in superhero blockbusters, and while not as objectively a good film as Winter Soldier, its still entertaining.
Rated 09 May 2016
It could be comic movie fatigue, but I had little patience for the toothless, risk-free story and direction of this movie and how it wasted a very cool general premise. This wasn't a civil war, it was a bunch of super friends tickle fighting each other for two hours.
Rated 09 May 2016
Way better than Age of Ulton, but not quite as good as Winter Soldier. I've always held the opinion that the casting of the entire cast is perfect, and no one really misses a beat here. I hear criticism that the stakes don't feel very high (which is fair), but even with that I still didn't feel like the movie was a trudge with the long runtime. The cameos are pheomenal (Tom Holland was, with no hyperbole, born to play Spider-Man), and the choreography is amazing. The machine keeps on rolling
Rated 29 Apr 2019
Smart of the MCU to take this turn here. Civil War goes for a little more depth than its predecessors, trying to reckon with the huge collateral damage from these massive super hero battles. Also fun how the two sides develop in some unexpected ways. Finally, the actual action sequences were done quite well. I was a little surprised by the introduction of some characters that haven't had their own origin stories yet.
Rated 11 May 2016
like most of these movies, it was okay, but the experience is always the same; i go into a marvel movie, i hear and see these characters do things, but then i leave and forget what those things were
Rated 11 May 2016
Rather than a 2&1/2 hour Cap movie, this should have been two 1 hour 50 minute movies to bookend the summer. Captain America: Civil War 1 intros the new characters and sets up the split to the airport scene. Iron Man: Civil War 2 extrapolates on the higher minded ideas that this movie picked around the edges of and gives a space for the flashbacks they used so it didn't feel rushed. Despite the lenghty run time (which I felt) two shorter films would have just been more enjoyable. Marvel, pay me.
Rated 11 May 2016
(CAPTAIN THERAPY: DEAD DADS)
Rated 02 Sep 2016
Marvel have nurtured these characters just enough over the course of the MCU to ensure that the slightly clunky elements of Civil War's story, particularity surrounding the splitting of the factions, don't creak too much. The Russo's know what they're doing when it comes to action and know how to manage the characters abilities on screen without resorting to frantically insane destruction. Feels a bit like the most expensive cosplay ever, but it's really good fun.
Rated 25 Apr 2016
High-powered and smooth-running quality entertainment. The airport showdown was epic.
Rated 02 May 2016
I should just refrain from watching superhero movies. I'm too old for this.
Rated 05 May 2016
Ant-Man and Spider-Man (the best incarnation yet) add some surprisingly enjoyable flavor to what is now (Hulk & Thor removed) an otherwise kind of bland ensenble. It's a pity they don't feature more. Civil War is at the very least 30 minutes too long, but it's a whole lot of fun, particularly the one free-for-all battle sequence.
Rated 06 May 2016
Captain America: Civil War is one of the better Marvel superhero movies thus far. It has great thematic depth - thoroughly exploring a topic that Batman v Superman took 2.5 hours to barely pierce - a lot of fun characters, a couple of spectacular action scenes, and enough humor to break up the monotony of darker, more mature subject matter. The Captain America trilogy has come to its conclusion, and it's a strong one.
Rated 12 Jun 2016
Not bad, but not as good as the previous Captain America movies. I don't know if this is Marvel Cinematic Universe's Wave 3 or Wave 4... whatever wave it is I'm just paddling around in it.
Rated 09 May 2017
The "Marvel Cinematic Universe" continues with the third "Captain America" movie a.k.a "The Avengers 2.5". This superhero film about political philosophy and red tape disguised as yet another villain out for revenge plot. Fortunately all of the pieces were in place from the previous 12 films to smoothly go into this contrived and convoluted "Accords" plot. Ultimately the story served in setting up future "Marvel" films(of course) and all the action figure smash-em-up a kid could dream of.
Rated 07 May 2016
This is very comparable to "Winter Soldier" for me; I'll give it the same grade, though I think I enjoyed WS a bit more. Criticism, I guess, is that I feel it doesn't really set us up much at all for Infinity War. Now granted, they have two years to do that with Thor & Doctor Strange & Black Panther, but, I guess I was hoping more for that. At least some seedlings. Speaking of Black Panther, he's awesome! Showed me a side of Cap that I've desperately waited for, too: imperfection. I needed it.
Rated 07 May 2016
Hey, this was fine! Screw it! They're going to keep making the fuckers whether I like em or not so I might as well let it wash over me like a lukewarm bath.
Rated 08 May 2016
The mid-movie fight scene is pretty fantastic, and Spiderman's inclusion is justified by the jokes made at his expense. But this never raises above good in my book. I'm not sure if it's the lack of higher stakes, disappointment relative to the Civil War concept, or plain old Marvel movie fatigue. Regardless, as fun as these movies are, I'm going to need more from MCU in the future.
Rated 08 May 2016
Liked this a lot. The Avengers come up against their greatest enemy to date, accountability. Marvel really get how to make an entertaining film.
Rated 09 Feb 2017
Have to admit, it must be quite the juggling act keeping this many narrative threads taught and intertwined for this long. But somewhere into the "climactic" battle sequence, the thread was slowly pulled, and the whole experience unraveled. I ended up checking my watch for the time out of boredom, and realized that this is the Title Match people paid to see. The conflict that drives this War is so tenuous, it loses its meaning as soon as the fighting starts. A critical flaw.
Rated 08 May 2016
Doesn't seem to add much to the Marvel universe besides a bunch of fun brawl sequences and another Spidey recast. I personally could have stood more mangling and maiming between the heroes instead of just tuckering one another out - Stark always seems too cozy in that damn suit and the guy with claws doesn't land a single claw the whole movie. It really puts the "civil" back in civil war. Helicopter scene was dope though.
Rated 08 May 2016
While the showdown teased by an endless advertising campaign and the 100th reboot of Spiderman are the best that Civil War has to offer, the film's tired formula is still enough to entertain. Say what you will, but the Russos sure know fight choreography. Thank the lord we didn't have to see another Peter Parker back story.
Rated 09 May 2016
It takes FOREVER to get going. Antman was the highlight for me. There wasnt enough in the writing or the performance for me to really get behind starks anger, especially at the end. It all made sense at least, i just didn't get an emotional thrill out of key moments. Which isn't to say that it lacked entirely on thrills, emotional or otherwise. Makes no bones about being a "middle movie" and i like that. No good guy HQ gets attacked which was a good change
Rated 12 May 2016
This gives me more than "Winter Soldier" did. The internal conflict is real and you feel the tension between the two sides. A bit too many superhero characters for my taste, but nothing that outright ruins it. As many mentions, the new-new Spiderman is good, but personally, I completely dug the Panther character. The machine continues... *Good
Rated 25 May 2016
Fantastic movie, the main storyline of Iron Man vs. Captain America is handled perfectly and has nice twist and turns. Sadly the subplot with the movie's "villian" never feels fully developed and tends to ruin the movie's pacing and screw up the great dynamic of the Civil War. Also best Spiderman ever
Rated 14 Jun 2016
Internecine conflict makes a typically overwhelming MCU installment feel more urgent and less perfunctory. The ballad of Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes mercifully comes to a conclusion while the titular war more than lives up to its billing, a wonderfully gratuitous expression of childhood fantasies once played out with action figures.
Rated 17 May 2016
Mostly an Avengers film, and on par with them in quality. Which is to say it has some entertaining moments and potential complexity but squanders most of it by trying to have everything and please everyone leading a worthless conclusion. If you're going to contrive your plot in a million ways to generate ridiculous conflict at least make mean something.
Rated 17 May 2016
Civil War isn't perfect, but it's the closest the MCU has gotten. Rising to the challenge, the vast number of characters are each given enough screen time to both entertaining and developed. Brühl is the MCU's most complelling villain yet (and also the least powerful). The plot is engrossing with three expertly handled acts, that ensures the heart of the film remains a Captain America feature. a twilight for old characters, and a dawn for the new. Also Rudd's Ant-Man was awesome.
Rated 18 May 2016
The action here is pretty good, but I wish the civil war sprouted from something more than a 90's sitcom lack of communication. "He's my friend," really?
Rated 19 May 2016
A suitably entertaining widget from the Marvel factory. The downside is it takes a while to get going, and most of the early fights are not compelling at all. But once we get to the airport fight both the action and comedy ramp up considerably. The many characters are juggled a lot more skillfully this time around, and the new ones introduced in a very organic way.
Rated 26 May 2016
It doesn't deal with the central ideological conflict as well as it could, but it's still better at dealing with it than 95% of fiction. It's messy and overstuffed, with obvious seams where concepts and characters were forced in, but all of this stuff is so fun and delivers so many good moments. I enjoyed it a lot, and hope the creators have a freer hand in future movies. (Future edit: oh. well. Still.)
Rated 09 May 2021
pretty cheap to frame it so that the oversight option never stood a chance to be right, but whatever, it's fine, that theme was made irrelevant anyway! vengeance and prisons are bad I guess, yeah. still, please just hand me movies that have the exact opposite ratio of character interactions to fights that this one has, because the former are when I'm enjoying this one
Rated 06 May 2016
The parts that are good are really fun and enjoyable, which makes this an overall fun film to watch. However, the amount of lazy and inconsistent character progressions and lack of resolution to certain plot lines left it feeling hollow and empty. Still one of the better MCU movies.
Rated 25 May 2016
This movie is one of the best this year!
Rated 21 May 2016
The action scenes were really solid and fun, but the plot is nonsensical, stupid, and takes itself too seriously. This would be par for the course in an action flick, but the plot gets more screen time than the action.
Rated 08 May 2019
Big fan of this one - up until now one of my favorites. I appreciate the seriousness for once - the "civil war" was for real. Didn't mind that the bad guy wasn't some dark creature. And all the extra characters just gave it a little spice. *Very good
Rated 07 May 2016
The story is just too busy, with improbable action and a premise really out in left field pitting superheroes against each other (second or third blockbuster to do so) because collateral damage is just unacceptable. And apparently the industry is listening to all the complaints about masking the action with shaky-cam so they're pretty much doing that now with stutter-shutter. Yeah, so much better. Due to taking itself so seriously, it really put a strangle-hold on the humor, which thankfully
Rated 08 May 2016
there was nothing Civil about these shenanigans at all
Everyone is fighting because Captain America killed their dad
Rated 08 May 2016
A few beefs, there is like an hour long stretch of boredom, and no real sense of danger to any of the cast. It is pretty much a re-hash of the winter soldier but with everyone involved now. Ant-Man and Spider-Man are the best parts of this movie.
Rated 08 May 2016
Definitely handles/balances the moral ambiguities better than its source material did, though I think that Cap acted like a complete idiot way too often. Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther is a major highlight, and I can't wait until his solo movie comes out. The new Spider-Man was fun and it was good to see him finally interact with other Marvel heroes, but I can't get that excited about him since the character's been done to death at this point.
Rated 21 May 2016
Marvel really just needs to cut the shit and let the hot-yet-imminent three-way between Iron Man, Bucky, and Cap happen. I mean come on, they were like 5 seconds from making out the entire time, and it would be 100% in character. I swear I'm not projecting!
Rated 10 May 2016
I liked the movie despite the lingering presence of Joss Whedon.
Rated 29 Aug 2016
there goes another 250 million(!!!) dollars for a technically perfect zero stakes royal rumble of superheroes. who's gonna sign a completely inconsequential UN treaty? who's gonna get punched in the face? who will get mildly injured for about ten seconds? who is out for revenge for whom? and who cares? the tension is unbearable. fuck this. and now get on the hype train for spin-off nr. 37b "spider-man: puns and punches with peter parker feat. raunchy milf aunt may".
Rated 11 May 2016
Daniel Bruhl da fuckin' boiiii! (Also almost no emotional resolution happens over the course of its runtime so it's kinda like a really long middle episode of Game of Thrones, but that setpiece is dope tho huh?!?)
Rated 30 May 2016
Civil War is another very enjoyable film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Rated 14 Jan 2017
The narrative is pretty shitty, though humorously less retarded than the story it was based on. It takes the overdone storyline of "people complaining about the destruction of superhero fights despite their presence literally preventing the world from being destroyed" and makes it Hollywood. The attempts at sentimentality were weak, the villain was shit and some parts of the plot were outright illogical. The airport fight was really cool, otherwise the whole movie was meh.
Rated 14 Sep 2016
A good effort for a dumbed down subject considering the scope of the Civil War conflict in the story. The fight scene at the airport is probably a highlight for all super hero movies and I personally liked the tonal switch from the formulaic destruction of X city by world threatening forces. It did feel a little rushed in the final scenes and maybe this would have served better as a two part arc.
Rated 11 May 2016
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. This movie is Awesome
Rated 06 Sep 2016
Pro Wrestling style writing: "how can we get these big names facing off in a big PPV event?"... but done well.
Rated 25 Jun 2016
The film is loaded with superheroes, and although there are moments where their number is overwhelming, it's mostly handled well, especially in the big fight scene. There are a few surprise appearances; there's a lot of quick humor, too, and I appreciated that even when the Avengers are in the middle of combat against each other, there is mutual respect and affection. There's a lot of good relationship stuff, too, the stuff that adds nice layers between all the action sequence stuff.
Rated 26 May 2016
Welcome to Fox-News-America. Good analogies all over the place.
Rated 08 Apr 2018
Does what it says on the tin
Rated 13 May 2016
It's the Avengers II we wanted, but still undeniably a Cap film.
Rated 14 May 2016
Needed more Rudd.
Rated 15 May 2016
Between the 46 action sequences there are some mutterings of dialogue or story but I can't be too sure. This doesn't fly (unlike in a Fury Road) when it's not all that good or fun to look at. Spiderman and giant Ant-Man the only musings of positivity.
Rated 27 Aug 2017
Gotta say I'm really starting to like Marvel universe of films. Sure, the depth of movies isn't what Stan Lee envisioned, not that Lee's vision barely scratches surface of ideas he's exploring but you gotta appreciate CGI, choreography, story (which is likable), comedy and all the technical aspects of the movie. Very fun.
Rated 02 Jan 2017
I llke where this is going.
Rated 16 May 2016
With a better premise than most recent Marvel efforts and some great thought-provoking drama, Civil War capitalizes on its political and moral dilemma to deliver a solid film that may be the best Marvel film so far. It adds humor with its abundance of characters, and though it does get a little distracted by its massive superhero battle, but still maintains its focus on its main characters and conflict.
Rated 02 Jul 2018
The fact I haven't seen the previous two entries no doubt doesn't help, but really, there are only a few mildly amusing moments to relieve the general tedium of too many characters engaged in a meaningless but overly-complicated narrative, whose uninteresting themes are never pursued beyond the most superficial level. There is something unpleasant about how the action sequences are filmed, too, so overall there is little aesthetic pleasure to be had. Essentially just a big-screen-TV-show.
Rated 20 Nov 2016
"No stop you can't do this bc y'all are too dangerous and people will get hurt!"... "Yeah w/e man"... *everyone gets hurt*
Rated 12 Jun 2016
the amazing thing about civil war is the fact that we know all these heroes by now. we know their schticks, their origins and their banters, but still the movie manages to keep the whole avengers deal fresh. The inflated superhero roster count is a definite recipe for a clusterfuck, but russo bros seem to have defeated the "too many dicks on the dance floor" curse. kudos, indeed.
Rated 02 Jun 2016
Too much of an Avengers film, not enough of a Captain America film. It felt about four hours long, as well as feeling like two or three different movies haphazardly mashed together. It took entirely too long for the primary conflict to come to a head. On the bright side, the new Spider-Man was legit, Paul Rudd (of whom there wasn't enough) is always a highlight, and Elizabeth Olsen is gorgeous. (I'm such a chauvinist, alas.)