Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain-America-The-First-Avenger

Captain America: The First Avenger

2011
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
Marvel launches another super franchise with this action-packed origin story, which follows Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) as he volunteers for a secret experiment during World War II. Transformed into a superhero named Captain America, Steve goes after the Axis. With his perfect physique and heightened reflexes -- and his sidekick, Bucky (Sebastian Stan) -- Steve battles the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving), a super soldier created by Italian fascists.
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

Hey let's spend a hundred million plus and make something boring and devoid of any life. Nothing happens at all in this movie, the only reason anyone is doing anything is because WWII is the backdrop. The Red-Skull doesn't even do anything villainous, the most evil thing he personally does is kill a Nazi. Almost everyone in this sucks, the guy playing Stark was the worst of the bunch. Tommy Lee Jones is the saving grace. You might like it I guess if you're amused by flashing lights. Fuck you.
Not great, but I must admit that the character and storyline behind Steve Rogers becoming Captain America was fairly compelling. After the transformation, the writing, story and plot really seem to go down hill. FWIW, the Red Skull could have been an interesting villain (especially with Hugo Weaving in the role), but the writing involving the relationship and story between Captain America and the Red Skull wasn't so interesting.
The actors (Evans, Weaving, Jones) seem to do much more for their characters than the script did. Although it's still competent and enjoyable enough, it's nowhere near the peak of The Avengers series. It feels like they're so close to the big movie that they care less about this in itself than about setting up Captain America and the tesseract for their next appearance. They give away the real focus in the movie's subtitle.
This is the only time we see Cap without the Russo Bros or Joss Whedon using him as part of an ensemble. I liked it when I originally saw it just as a fun period piece origin story. I enjoyed on rewatch understanding its place in the MCU and appreciate that nearly every character comes back later in the series, sometimes to the series fault, but I digress. Best thing about this is the limited use of the shield. I feel like that gets sillier each entry. Hellboy did Nazi super villains better.
The formula is starting to show a bit too much. While I dig the movie's throwback aesthetic and the cast is littered with quality performances, the script can't be bothered to try to tell a worthwhile story. What should be the meat of the film (seeing Cap and his commandos go off on missions) is glossed over as an extended montage, with no emotional weight or sense of danger. A handful of great moments, and TLJ, Tucci and Weaving do their best to liven things up, but ultimately it's just okay.

Submitted bydst7175dst7175 on 16 Jul 2011