Casper

Casper

1995
Family/Kids

Rated 18 Aug 2016
Wow, everyone loves to dogpile on this one, don't they. I can't say that this is a "good" movie, exactly, but it has a lot going for it: a good cast, a great score, amazing production design, a light and sweet tone, several amusing moments, and an ending that moved me, if only a little. That has to count for something.
Rated 29 Jul 2014
Me: Hey Memory? / Memory: Fuck off, I'm drunk. / Me: Yeah but remember that Casper movie? / Memory: No! .. Yes... Oh God, that piece of crap, just look at it. / Me: Yeah but... didn't I think it was an okay movie when I was a kid? / Memory: ACCESS DENIED
Rated 18 Jun 2011
It was ok I guess. Had some decent actors that made it somewhat watchable. I also had a large crush on Christina Ricci when I was younger, and this movie only fueled my 10 year old flames of passion.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
The Citizen Kane of friendly ghost movies.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
God, that house is awesome as hell.
I don't care how balls this movie actually is; my ten-year-old self yearns for this film like you wouldn't believe.
Rated 11 Jan 2008
Harmless enough and kind of endearing in parts. A winner for the kids and above average plot for the type of film.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
It's good enough for kids and families. The effects, for their time, are pretty good too.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
I actually really really liked this one. Probably, though, because of my huge crush on Christina Ricci. But it had some heart and was a nice film. Good special effects, suitable comedy, and a surprising Eric Idle and Catherine Moriarity combination (?!)
Rated 07 Aug 2011
Casper was everything you'd want in a kid's cartoon turned big live-action movie. It has a great mix of fun actors (Idle and Moriarty in particular), some interesting visual choices, a fun and light tone with moments of serious thrown in. It's fluffy. Andd then, at the very end, they actually turn it into an absolutely beautiful tale of love and loss. Particularly the ghostly revelations scenes, with Casper in boy-form and mom finally showing up, are heartbreaking and beautiful.
Rated 16 Dec 2006
I guess death isn't so bad after all; you can always come back as an annoying ghost.
Rated 23 Dec 2006
Whatever, maybe I just like Christina Ricci way too much.
So much hate for this film! I like it.
Rated 20 Nov 2007
Young Christina Ricci
Rated 27 Feb 2008
no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no
Rated 30 Apr 2008
I wish this movie had made me a sandwich, I could have eaten the sandwich. Unless, of course, the sandwich sucked as bad as this movie.
Rated 13 Jul 2019
Passable family film could have been better if it committed to its ADDAMS FAMILY vibe rather than copping out and sentimentalising its story elements - this unwittingly gives it a morbid and bleak tone during its warm and fuzzy moments (Casper all but chants "Join Us!!") Moriarty and Idle are fun as a couple of HOME ALONE style intruders; Ricci is excellent as usual, grounding the film in a mature and unaffected performance. Abrupt ending is a great "we're all gonna get laid!" variation.
Rated 31 Dec 2012
I believe this was the first film I ever saw in theaters, so there's some nostalgia attached to it. But even putting that aside, I think it's a fun little movie, even if it's nothing spectacular.
Rated 14 Apr 2009
Classic childhood movie. Not the best, but definitely a good one.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Not totally awful, if a bit sickly. A good technical achievement for 1995 . Ricci's forehead was MASSIVE.
I liked this movie as a kid, but now I don't see myself taking the time to sit down and give it a look. It's in a weird middle ground of being too dark for a kids movie but too light for an adult.
Casper was never all that great. Who's really surprised it made a bad movie, too?
Rated 14 Mar 2020
I guarantee you don't remember that this film is about a young girl's burgeoning sexuality as she interacts with the ghost of a literal dead child. There's a lot of jokes for the parents, for example, the ghosts are trapped in a vacuum, and one of the ghosts says it's not his head sticking in the other ghost's butt.
Rated 11 Nov 2009
A weak piss of a film.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
It's a pity that this isn't better as there are not that many family friendly films to watch around Halloween. There are some good elements: sets are nicely designed and there are even shades of steampunk. Ricci suits these kind of of roles beautifully, Pullman is likable and it's fun to see Idle in supporting role. The CGI is not that great, surprisingly bland considering the budget and the overall tone is all over the map with drama mixed with goofy comedy and some attempt at scares.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Not bad.
Rated 09 Mar 2007
A very fun family film retelling the old cartoon story of Casper the firendly ghost.
Rated 11 Aug 2021
Ray Stantz cameo is fantastic but upsetting considering Aykroyd thinks this is a documentary. "Can I keep you", followed by a kiss on a sleeping girls cheek has haunted me for years.
Rated 22 Jun 2015
The usual family film fare here (bumbling bad guys, slapstick humour, a bare-basics plot) is spiked with a couple of surprising expletives and a remarkably upfront approach to the subject of death. The refreshing dark comedic tone unfortunately isn't given much story to work over, with an empty-feeling script that seems to fly by. Nevertheless, the ghosts are entertaining and look great (the two late additions aside) and make this film a decently satisfying watch.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Man, this movie proves that I've always wanted to fuck Christina Ricci.
Rated 18 May 2007
Christina Ricci.
Rated 19 May 2007
Eh.
Rated 03 Jun 2007
Very cool for children.. and adults!
Rated 09 Jun 2007
1 point for Ray Stantz.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Haven't seen this since it was in cinemas, but I remember it being a nice little kids' film.
Rated 17 May 2021
It hard to rate because I'm usually more forgiving for kids' movies when they still hold well. I remember liking it when I was younger, and finding it fascinatingly creepy with the people actually dying in the story and all the machines. As an adult however, it's closer to being annoying, mostly because of the three bad ghosts' humour and the loser dad. The romance added in felt off too.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
2.29/5
It was a cute movie when I was 11 or 12 or however old I was when this came out.
Some good effects, but not enough laughs.
Normally, I would say, "This is a family oriented movie, so I will take that into consideration when I see how cheesy/lame it is." However, in the case of Casper, I just couldn't pus the fact that this movie is absolutely horrible out of my mind regardless of its audience.
12 instead of like 0 because I used to have a major crush on Devon Sawa, and the payoff at the end was worth it.
James Horner's soundtrack rules!
Disturbingly dull
Not a very good adaptation. Not a very good movie. Decent CGI gives it points though. Whimsical, but disappointing
Young Christina Ricci... be still my circa 1995 nine-year-old heart. The movie is pretty bland, though. You might say the plot is ghostly thin! :-D *chuckles* *commits suicide*
BAD BAD BAD
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Not bad but not great
Rated 20 Sep 2007
adorable, but definitely for kids.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Is not a good movie. But for children, is acceptable.
Rated 09 Jan 2008
I knew this sucked even as a kid.
Rated 19 Feb 2014
Funny and interesting
Rated 18 Feb 2008
Even if the "can I keep you" was INSANELY CREEPY, it's a cute movie. (Minus that 10 minutes *shudders).
Rated 08 Mar 2008
I liked it a lot when I was a child
Rated 13 Apr 2008
Loved this movie, though it has been a while. But how could you go wrong with a ghost story staring Christina Ricci, or a comedy starring Bill Pullman? The effects in this are lovely, as is the backstory they created for Casper.
Rated 17 May 2008
since the last time i saw this movie was in '95 i'm relying upon my fifteen year old memory as a ten year old, i recall liking the movie, but thought ricci was horrible and the ending should have been a feel good kids ending, but wasn't
Rated 22 Nov 2019
What a great movie. This is a fantastic example of a Halloween paranormal film that doesn't have to be scary. In 1995, Casper was the very first fully-CGI lead character, as it came before Toy Story, and it's really impressive on how it holds up. It doesn't have the best narrative, since they should've focused on the Lazarus machine from the beginning, but all-in-all, I had forgotten how great this film is.
Rated 26 Aug 2013
Used to love it when i was a kid. Nostalgic to boot. that and the casting is actually not that bad with Ricci and Pullman having quite a good chemistry!
Rated 27 Jun 2008
okay movie
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Dug this movie as a kid. still do. good sountrack too
Rated 04 Aug 2008
booo..
Rated 11 Aug 2008
Cute ghost makes a good film! No, not really.
Rated 17 Aug 2008
I hated the comic, the movie adaptation for me did not end well
Rated 20 Aug 2008
x0
Rated 08 Oct 2008
not that catchy
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Not a terrible kids movie.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Cute enough.
Rated 23 Oct 2008
this is probably my favorite of all times:)
Rated 15 Nov 2008
The ghost looks five and then it magically becomes a teenage boy?
Rated 28 Feb 2019
Very cute. I saw it as a child, and remember only a little, so my perspective is definitely biased.
Rated 15 Oct 2012
Surprisingly sweet and mature, with the ideal number of pop-culture jokes in this post-SHREK world.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Cartoon was better...
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Could have been better. Though not an "origin story" per se, the emphasis on Casper's ghostly state does not really help this movie out. We know he's a ghost. We don't really care about some machine that may or may not bring him back to life. The idea of "Casper the Former Ghost" just doesn't appeal to us.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Christina Ricci is always funny, but Casper is always boring like a dead crap... Wait a minute...
Rated 23 Apr 2009
Loved this movie when I was a kid, but there's no way I'd watch it now...
Rated 02 May 2009
Forget this movie. Ruined the idea of there even being the slightest chance of meeting a friendly ghost for me. It made me hostile towards ghosts after it.
Rated 20 Oct 2018
rvw. wow my thang got cut off for my thousandth review haha. was 100. oct 2020 94
Rated 13 Aug 2012
One of those movies that are best left to nostalgia.
Rated 29 Aug 2009
So i saw this movie when i was 8, and ever since I have thought Christina Ricci was HOT
Rated 10 Sep 2009
I midly liked it in 1995. I was 9 in 1995.
Rated 11 Oct 2009
really well done graphics and live integration. another good film for rainy/snowy days
Rated 01 Nov 2009
casper is awesome and used to be my best friend when i was a kid.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
I forgot almost everything about this film the second it was over.
Rated 11 Jul 2012
A cute Halloween film for kids. Not much else though.
Rated 19 Jan 2010
Cute
Rated 29 Jan 2010
Probably liked this as a kid, but in retrospect: meh.
Rated 07 Jun 2010
Funny.
Rated 14 Jul 2010
Decent for a kids movie. Obviously childish and simplistic and with some dated references but at its heart it's not terrible.
Rated 05 Aug 2010
foi quando eu amava loiros e levei um tempão pra descobrir que o loirinho que dança com ela no final era o Devon Sawa!!!!!
Rated 22 Aug 2010
Rated 23 Jan 2022
Some elements have grown cuter with age. It's cultivated a sort of nostalgic appeal over the years.
Rated 03 Dec 2015
C
Rated 22 Sep 2010
It's better than Richie Rich, and Dennis the Menace. Boring upon viewing it as an adult, but probably perfectly enjoyable for kids.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
Enjoyability 20/25 Visuals 13/15 Audio 7/10 Acting 7/10 Story/Plot 21/25 Production Values 7/10 Intuitiveness/Ambitiousness 2/5 Bonus 4/10
Rated 30 Dec 2010
Well there's some nostalgia value here (I haven't seen this since the nineties prior to watching it again), but yeah it can be pretty annoying. A few jokes are funny, at least, so it isn't all bad.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
3-4
Rated 19 Jan 2011
I re-watched this film after many years, thinking that I would find it stupid. But you know what, it's not bad. It's not great, in any way, but it's certainly not a bad movie. At times you feel that the filmmakers focused more on special effects and lame culture references, but at other times it has some real heart. Sure, it's sappy, but insulting a film for that means you're afraid to show emotion. "Casper" is a fun little film that should satisfy you, although it is rather forgettable.
Rated 19 Mar 2011
Indicates early erotic feelings toward whats-her-face....its of cause I was young too.Otherwise i can't remember a single thing about this Christmas time travel movie.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
By and large, a testament to the worst of mid 90s dreck cinema, even the usually reliable Ricci in her teen actor incarnation can't quite redeem it. But it's a kids' film, so who's bothered?
Rated 01 Sep 2011
Casper is a cunt.
Rated 07 Nov 2011
This was a bad movie. It is what it is though, and kids will enjoy Casper more than older people.