2000
Romance, Drama
Hanks stars as Chuck Noland, a FedEx systems engineer whose personal and professional life are ruled by the clock. His manic existence abruptly ends when, after a plane crash, he becomes isolated on a remote island - cast away into the most desolate environment imaginable. (Twentieth Century Fox)
Directed by:
Languages:

2000
Romance, Drama

Rated 02 Aug 2017
Doesn't quite stick the landing, but most of the movie is so engrossing that you're left wanting more. Probably Tom Hanks' most significant achievement as an actor.
Rated 13 May 2008
Strangely enough as blatant as the product placement in this movie is it doesn't actually detract from the film and actually works for the movie (especially the Wilson brand volleyball dubbed "Wilson"). Tom Hanks is absolutely amazing but to be completely honest the movie is quite slow but that's entirely appropriate for it's subject matter. However, I think it's fair to say this isn't a movie to watch repeatedly and you need to be in the right mood for it.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
You'd expect this to be boring, but it's really quite captivating. This is probably my favorite Hanks performance, if only because he manages to perform so well with absolutely no assistance from any sort of plot or character interaction. It's something to see.
Rated 22 May 2007
Ever since Back to the Future, Zemeckis' acerbic edge has eroded away to produce fare such as this and Forrest Gump, which while quite technically proficient, is the cinematic equivalent of tepid water...Inoffensive and easy to take. This is basically an updating of Robinson Crusoe with tons of product placement. Thank goodness Mr. Hanks used Fed Ex! That random woman might not have gotten that package!
I did quite like a lot of the stuff on the island, especially the parts where Hanks wasn't talking at all -- showing his character's emotions through physical acting only. But everything that happened after he was rescued was predictable and unnecessary. If I had my way the movie would end much sooner, perhaps even before he was rescued.
Why did the trailers give away the whole movie? That said, this film should definitely be shown in acting classes to prove that one actor can hold many scenes without co-stars or even dialogue. It ain't perfect, but Tom Hanks damn near is.
Rated 17 Nov 2008
Zemeckis and Hanks team up to bring us a great drama that is only slightly marred by an overlong ending. Highlights include an exciting crash sequence, a really creepy whale and Tom Hanks yelling at a volleyball and kicking it out of his cave.
Rated 27 Aug 2009
Do you have a fear of being stranded on an island and want to know what to do to survive? If so, Cast Away is a great film that commentates on how Tom Hanks makes it though the most trying experience as a fed ex enginer. Being isolated on a remote island causes Tom to adopt to life alone. I really enjoyed this film even though i though that some parts of it were far fetched. This film will cause you to never look at a vollyball the same.
Rated 29 Apr 2012
A cleverly disguised volleyball recruitment movie, pretending to be a modern day Robinson Crusoe clone.
Rated 20 Feb 2020
Before watching it I wondered why this needed to be nearly 2,5 hours. Turns out it's because the movie goes on about for 40 minutes after it ends, so that'd do it. Cut everything but Tom Hanks on the island and you have a real winner.
Rated 09 Feb 2007
When a movie can make you feel so horrible over a man losing a ball with a face painted in blood on it, it's something special.
Rated 21 Apr 2007
Sponsored by FedX. In all seriousness though, it's a good movie with a good performance by Hanks in a difficult role.
Rated 14 Nov 2009
Issiz bir adaya yalniz basiniza duserseniz yaniniza hangi uc seyi alirdiniz? Peki bu uc seyi secmenize izin verilmeseydi ne yapardiniz? Tom Hanks'e secme hakki verilmemis ve o da adada ihtiyaci olan uc seyi kendisi uretme yoluna gitmis. Filmde Hanks'in yalniz oldugu kisimlar son derece iyi olmakla beraber basi ve sonu icin daha vasat diyebiliriz.
Rated 03 Mar 2012
Is it slow in places? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.
Rated 14 Oct 2014
An actor, alone on screen, no music, no dialog, for two hours. If you can make that interesting, you have accomplished a Herculean feat (whatever the sand-blind ostriches of the Academy say). Hanks makes it riveting, hypnotic, his final incarnation on the speck of island as stunning in its sun-bleached hair and 50 pound loss as Di Niro's in Raging Bull.
Rated 12 Jun 2015
Cast Away is a pretty fantastic movie. Its themes you know and love, and will never get old, while Hanks delivers what could be the performance of his lifetime being the only one on screen most of the movie. Zemeckis is a good director but the real captain of this ship is Hanks and you'll agree with me by the end of it.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
Always nice to see Hanks but this movie is just about his performance, nothing more. Would like to see Wilson in other movies though.
Rated 03 Dec 2006
A sparse, occasionally pointless but mostly arresting drama about the fight against the loss of faith. Tom Hanks commands the screen without histronics or scenery chewing.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
The fact that for about 85% of the movie Tom Hanks is doing this movie solo or with a volley ball, and actually brings out the character, is nothing short of stunning. It's a powerful film and definitely worth a shot.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
Longest FedEx commercial ever.
Pretty decent.
The second Zemeckis+Hanks film that is one hour too long. Could have been decent, but the last third is just plain awful. I wonder how much FedEx paid for what is probably the longest commercial ever?
Rated 13 Sep 2007
Terrifying. Brilliant. Difficult to watch at times. Heart-wrenching. Involving. And it doesn't end like you think it might. This was an incredible character study and an excellent movie.
Rated 10 Oct 2007
A movie that shows the solitude, at the same time in the most perfect harmony of the man with the nature. Great acting of Tom Hanks and Wilson also.
Rated 27 Feb 2008
Every time Wilson "dies" I cry.
Rated 27 Jun 2008
Very Nice
Rated 01 Jul 2008
Kinda a sad story but it was great none the less.
Rated 05 Aug 2008
Great performance by Tom Hanks. I agree fully with Magb that the character's emotions through physical acting only was really powerful and that the film probably should have ended around the time he was rescued and not much after.
Rated 12 Aug 2008
Vastly overrated.
Rated 21 Aug 2008
Another amazing performance by Hanks. I don't think many actors could play opposite a volleyball and have it come across as sincere.
Rated 05 Nov 2008
good movie with great imagination
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Watch Tom Hanks talk to a volley ball for 3 hours.
Rated 18 Feb 2009
This movie proves what we've all suspected for years: that you can put Tom Hanks on a desert island, all alone with himself for most of the movie, and still make a film that we will watch intently. I've never been so touched by a volleyball in my life.
Rated 12 Apr 2009
very cool,amazing to watch and funny
Rated 26 Apr 2009
Well crafted and entertaining movie, and the only movie to make me care about a volleyball.
Rated 28 Jun 2009
The mind and its fragility is barely examined. A movie about isolation should have much more than a volley ball cast as a supporting actor. Had it focused on this instead of basic survivalist functions, the film would have been much more compelling.
Rated 05 Nov 2009
I like this movie =]
Rated 08 Nov 2009
A movie about isolation: both physical and mental. Great performance by Hanks, directing by Zemeckis, work by operators. Pity Hanks missed his deserved Oskar.
Rated 30 Nov 2009
Something must be said of a film that can make 2 hours of one man's loneliness not only entertaining, but commercially successful to boot.
Rated 30 Jan 2010
The Zemeckis/Hanks combo didn't hit Gump gold here, but Hanks held up his side of the bargain. Too many cliche's and it over-concluded itself, both ultimately drained the power and intrigue that the island scenes had. I wasn't a big fan of the 4 years jump as well, I would've liked to have seen more of his struggles and development.
Rated 03 Jun 2010
Initially I thought the title was something to do with the film plot - then I saw the film and realised it wasn't a title .... it was instructions !
Rated 09 Jun 2010
The middle is SO GOOD, the rest is just bad bad bad.
Rated 23 Sep 2010
A tough role for Hanks, to be mostly the sole focus for an entire movie, but it's pulled off pretty effectively.
Rated 25 Feb 2011
The shipwrecked-mythos is possibly the most accessible "lose everything and you might just accidentally find your self"-motifs in circulation. What is a human being when all modern perception of time, convenience, relation and meaning is gone? Cast away answers this mostly in subtext, but it's still intuitively obvious that chuck "needed" the island to reconsider (his) life. It's pretty damn well executed, with a few minor nitpicks, but you hardly feel the runtime and that's saying something.
Rated 19 Mar 2011
Would have been a lot better if he never left the island.
Rated 31 Mar 2011
I know what I do when I'm by myself for long periods of time so I can totally say that this movie was kinda short on the masturbation.
Rated 17 May 2011
Critics say that by focusing on one man in one setting, Cast Away takes considerable risks, but ultimately it succeeds. Tom Hanks is excellent in the role, and the movie's themes make it larger than a simple physical survivor story.
Rated 20 Dec 2011
The Hollywood-ending kills what could have been a great film. It's still good though.
Rated 30 Jan 2012
One of the scariest plane crashes filmed. Ultimately just a love story between a man and a volleyball.
Rated 25 Mar 2013
Hanks is great. I appreciated that the time spent on the island wasn't intercut with dream sequences or flashbacks of home, like you'd expect from an isolation movie.
Rated 26 Sep 2013
great movie
Rated 10 Oct 2013
Underrated and improved with age. A quiet film and an acting tour de force. I've watched an entire room full of rowdy drinkers fall silent watching this movie. The material isn't always so captivating and the ending is a mistake, but when this movie hits, it hits hard. My favorite scene is Hanks staring at all the food after his return party. The American way of life is literal garbage. It will take disaster to return us to ourselves.
Rated 08 Mar 2015
Like so many of Zemeckis' films, I admire Cast Away more than I love it. It's a technical marvel with some incredible moments (the plane crash!) and a top-tier Tom Hanks performance, but it just leaves me a tiny bit cold. It's also probably too long, but what do I know? Still totally solid, I just wish I loved it more.
Rated 11 Mar 2015
This stupid idiot movie does the "4 Years Later" thing so we don't even get to see Tom Hanks gradually become the Geico Caveman, rendering the entire thing a before and after picture of Corey Feldman's career. Also, I've worked at UPS and those Russians were doing a damn good job. This movie isn't dumber than Forrest Gump, but it doesn't run as fast! (it goes on for far too long) You've done better, Otm Shank.
Rated 28 Dec 2006
It was a giant ad for FedEx, but so what? Hanks was great. He basically carries the entire film by himself. No other actors on the island, no soundtrack, we just watch Hanks perform simple yet difficult tasks and we pull for him.
Rated 30 Dec 2006
It's Lost, without other people, or the mystery, or drama, or ... excellent characters ... or ...... story .... or .......... being good.
Rated 25 Jan 2007
i just KNOW that there are shorter fedex ads
Rated 19 Feb 2007
Amazing Tom Hanks
Rated 22 Feb 2007
Great film.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Good idea, well written, just a tad too drawn out.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Fucking hated this movie! I think I only hated it because Helen Hunt remarried! Totally turned me off to the whole thing!
Rated 01 Mar 2007
The film works more as an allegory than a story, but that's what I look for most in a film: the theme (and how well and nuanced that message is expressed).
Rated 09 Mar 2007
apollo 13 on an island
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Well acted by Hanks but the movie is so boring that it hardly makes up for it.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Tom Hanks deservingly received another Oscar nod for his solo performance as a island-stranded soul following a plane crash in Robert Zemeckis' fantastic drama-adventure.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Tom Hanks proves, yet again, that he's an amazing actor.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Score would have been higher if I would have found out what was in the package...bastards.
Rated 26 May 2007
That last package really pissed me off.
Rated 09 Jun 2007
Man VS. Nature is a subject far too frequently addressed in movies. They fucked up so badly a good concept by making it the typical Tom Hanks feel-gooder.
Rated 23 Jun 2007
Some beautiful stuff on the island is ruined by a dumb, and pat conclusion.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
this is one of my guilty pleasures. Love this movie.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
There would have been no "Lost" without Hanks in Cast Away. This is a very good film. How can a highly structured man survive isolated in chaos and how long will it take him to edge towards madness. Essentially an extended monologue bookended by a prologue and epilogue. Robert Zemeckis is a wonderful director who is at the top of his game. And then there's Wilson. Why do sports stars think they can become actors? :)
Rated 12 Jul 2007
I liked it, despite the slow pacing. An interesting story.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
Here's my theory on what happened when this movie was pitched: The writer went to Zemeckis and said "lets do a movie where a guy is stranded on an island and talks to a volleyball." That took 15 minutes, then they had to find something to fill the rest.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
Temmuz 07
Rated 05 Aug 2007
As with many Tom Hanks flicks, the film works great on the first viewing and completely shows its ass on repeated viewings. Nowhere near as good as initial hype proclaims. If you've never seen it, it's worth the ride but the third act of the film is completely bogus.
I'm a sucker for deserted island movies, even though this one is just ok.
Intensely moving spectacle with actor and director at the peak of their considerable powers. Zemeckis as always makes films for open-hearted audiences who abandon their cynicism in the lobby. Cast Away is powerful, sometimes meditative, but mostly emotionally gruelling escapism. For a blockbuster Hollywood studio film it's not an easy watch and certainly benefits from some post-watch introspection. I find it sad that so many walled-up and made jibes about it for fear of feeling anything at all.
Soooooooooo borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.
Since everything is in the preview, there aren't any surprises here except in how exciting & engaging it generally is to watch. A few overdone or over long parts, yet mostly solid survival entertainment. Warning, movies suffers from Hellen Hunt as romantic lead.
Toooooooo Looooooonnnngggg
Not bad. Of course, Hanks never (ok, rarely) ever delivers a bad performance, but his performance in this one is not the problem. I found myself not caring...
a triumphant tale of survival without words for the majority. terribly depressing at the end, but ends with a positive note.
Tom Hanks shines and the script does not cater to any of the predictable things a lesser movie would have: treasure, pirates, etc. A fulfilling movie.
The ending really makes this film harsh. Prepare for long periods of silence but I'd rather watch this than another dragged out episode of Lost.
Tom Hanks does a very good job of carrying this movie!
Great movie, until the ending. The ending was pretty terrible. It's almost as if the writer's got stuck and just pasted an ending on cause they didn't know what else to do.
Great , great film. It's truly amazing how it envolves you, and how real it gets. And this is, in my opinion, Tom Hanks best performance yet. Surely, one of the best films of the decade, no doubt about it.
I worked for FedEx when this movie came out. Management was so proud, that is until we all started bringing volleyballs back to the station from wise ass regular customers
Could have been so much better. What a terrible ending.
Enjoyable the first couple of times. Boring after that.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
An interesting story, and I think Tom shows pretty decent actiong even in the on-talking sequences.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
just didn't like it
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Man crashes on island. Man talks to ball. nuff said.
Rated 22 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 22 Aug 2007
Alright, but a bit overrated.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Love it or hate it, personified. I, uh, don't love it...but I think it's a strong film at any rate.
Rated 28 Aug 2007
This is a great movie. Don't miss it.
Rated 29 Aug 2007