Children of Men
Children-of-Men

Children of Men

2006
Drama, Sci-fi
In 2027, in a chaotic world in which women have become somehow infertile, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea.
Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

Vividly realistic, atmospherically tense, visually absorbing, emotionally gut-wrenching, and uncommonly involving futuristic dystopian film that eerily mirrors our current society with all its injustices and inhumanity. Alfonso Cuarón's magnum opus and one that will be remembered as one of the best of its decade. A masterpiece through and through.
At times I wish the picture didn't have such virtuoso camerawork, as those visuals can take away from Cuaron's intellectual and visceral adaptation. By heightening our modern-day extremism, economic inequality, and environmental collapse he's created the best science fiction dystopia ever put to film. And the personal arc is profound, with the hero starting as an alcoholic and ending as a man who uses a liquor bottle to save humanity. One of my Top 10 films ever & worthy of all the praise.
What Cuaron does perfectly here is bring the dystopian near-future to life. You could study certain scenes for hours and continue to pick out revealing tidbits. There's also some elaborate camerawork, decent enough acting, and a few surprises. Overall I liked it, but I wasn't all THAT impressed. The story was neither as moving nor thought-provoking as it could have been. Too much of it was action scenes and chase scenes. Also the whole "HOMELAND SECURITY" thing made me roll my eyes.
Although the year depicted is 2027, Cuarón seems to have jumped the gun - the film's complacency and consumerism, fatality and nihilism, terrorism and nationalism, fits all-too snugly into the (a)moral fiber of 2017. The film's unrelenting anxiety gives it both urgency and, strangely, authenticity. The film's future is Now, and it hurts.
Harsh, brutal, extremely well made and not all that far fetched. Well, humanity becoming infertile maybe but there's adverts on the radio NOW about hiring illegal immigrants. Good old EU... Anyway, some of the cinematography in this is just STUNNING. The one continuous shot about 25 minutes in to the movie....I can't work out how they did it. Gonna have to buy the DVD just to find that out. Michael Caine is fantastic in this, as is the rest of the cast. The futuristic tech is subtle and

Last modified by:cesethceseth on 25 Sep 2019