Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane

1941
Mystery

Rated 25 Feb 2007
One of the most important films ever made. Powerful and beautiful imagery, incredible special effects, which still impress to this day, and superb sound enhance an already compelling story. Complete this with excellent acting, which is even more impressive considering this was the first film of Orson Welles' acting troupe, and you have a cinematic masterpiece everyone should see to at least understand why it is so often called the best film ever made.
A remarkable achievement. If I have not scored it even higher, it can only be a matter of individual taste that I have preferred a handful of other films to this one. That is, if I have scored some movies higher, that can only be a question of love, not of admiration. The film is utterly admirable, and enormously enjoyable. Worth remembering that Welles was 25 years old when he made it. I can believe that Donald Trump felt he could be a wilier Kane: also, he undeniably had a point about Susan.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
Orson Welles stuns in his directorial debut about the rise and fall of a publishing tycoon Charles Foster Kane, a man whose life can be described with just one word: "Rosebud". Citizen Kane graces the screen with many intriguing layers (graceful cinematography, amazing take on storytelling) and has an abundance of remarkable scenes. It's hard to name a film the best one ever made; You have to measure its greatness over time. This one succeeds wihout a doubt.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Constantly delightful and fascinating; one of the most complex and intricately-layered films of all-time, filled with humor and tragedy. Welles was one of the true virtuoso directors, and he proved it right out of the gate. When a movie can live up to its reputation as the greatest film of all-time, you know it's something special.
Almost every element has held up shockingly well over time - from the cinematography to the script to the acting. Orson Welles' performance is terrific. Also, how is it that aging makeup seems to have been more convincing seven decades ago than 99.8% of films today?
Rated 15 Feb 2007
You know what? It just might live up to its reputation. It's a masterpiece.
It's impossible to discuss Citizen Kane at the slightest depth without focusing on its historical importance, and avoiding phrases like "ahead of its time" isn't much easier. The reason for that is, of course, that it's all true. The main reason why this movie is so revered is the way almost everything just seems to come together perfectly, from the smallest details to the broadest themes and ideas. Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, very nearly worthy of its supernatural reputation.
Rated 15 Jun 2009
It's amazing how a film so widely regarded for its technical influence still holds up from that standpoint almost seventy years later. Welles' and Toland's lighting and use of deep focus are astounding not just by history's standard, but by any standard. But beyond the technical achievement, the film's narrative is on par with any great American tragedy. Citizen Kane is film's The Great Gatsby, those who recount Kane's story a handful of Nick Carraways, Rosebud the green light across the water.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
#1
This film's impact on media is so far reaching that it is a must see on that basis alone. It sets the bar and gives inspiration for writing, cinematography, composition, and editing for the creatively inclined. If you've got more than a passing intrest in movies, you should see this film.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Anyone who tries to critique this movie is attempting to get his dick sucked.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Had Kane cried out "Flexible Flyer," the ending would have been way too predictable.
Rated 16 Oct 2009
I can't believe that at the time of writing this film is 68 years old. Still some of the most impressive cinematography of all time, especially with regards to lighting. It is kind of sad that Welles reached his peak at 25, but at the same time - he made this work of art while only 25! It's amazing.
The craziest thing about this movie is that, no matter how much hype people hear about it, when they finally sit down to watch it for the first time, it actually lives up to it.
The second greatest film I have ever seen. After Sunrise, which isn't a film on criticker, so this will have to be the high standard all other works will be compared to. I don't know if Citizen Kane is a perfect film (Joseph Cotten irritates me at times), but it's devilishly entertaining, enduring, and endlessly rewatchable.
Rated 02 Dec 2007
I'm sorry but I just prefer Orson Welles a bit more strange. I still enjoy this movie but it's not my favorite from him.
Rated 10 Jul 2007
What more needs to be said? Undeniably one of the greatest American films ever made and certainly one of the most influential. Even if I absolutely hated every second of it (which couldn't be further from the truth) I would still have to give it high marks for its originality, craftsmanship, and influence. Timeless.
Rated 25 Mar 2015
Like the poster says, it's terrific. That's a Simpsons moment, that's a Simpsons moment. Very deserving of its reputation OKAY EVERYONE this is the final word anyone will have on Citizen Kane, everyone outta the pool.
Rated 11 Dec 2007
I think it would be fun to run a newspaper.
Rated 22 Oct 2010
One of the most over-rated movies. Yes it was ahead of its time (cinematographically) _IN 1941_ but that's nothing new in 2010. Filmmakers have learned a lot since then. Yes, the story is good, and yes, Orson Welles can act (although I think he overacts a bit), so it's an ok film. But I've seen a lot of stories I find more compelling, I can't see what's so special about this one.
Rated 21 Apr 2007
Its absolutely inane for anyone who's an avid film-goer or "cinephile" to say anything of this movie because your point of view is totally affected by subconscious "this is the best movie ever created" -mantra. This starts to sound like a Daniil Harms short story.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
This is simply one of the greatest movies ever made. Orson Welles wrote, directed, and acted as the leading role in this masterpiece and in every respect he does a better job than almost everyone else in the history of movies. This is a classic amongst classics and should be required viewing for all film fanatics.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
The thesis of the screenplay (Kane was somebody who never loved anybody and therefore tried to get everybody in the world to love him) is simplistic, but the baroque, innovative artistry of the direction and cinematography are simply astonishing--not to mention the best large ensemble cast ever to appear in a movie. All in all, it deserves its place in film history.
Rated 16 Apr 2008
A film so well-loved that even the praise has become cliche. Still, one would be hard-pressed to find another film that does just what this one does and feels this epic. Many sequences are astonishingly good: juggling story, character development, and visual presentation as deftly as any film since. The implications of the ending (which is so much more than just the damn sled) are always worth pondering.
Rated 24 Jul 2010
To think that 'Citizen Kane', one of the most perfectly told stories to ever grace the silver screen, is a directorial debut! That Welles did not only write and direct, but also starred in this thinly disguised biography about W. R. Hearst, says everything about the man's ego, but amazingly he did a perfect job! Amongst the most beautifully filmed, and inventively structured movies of all time, it's two hours of film-making Master Class that are surprisingly entertaining to this day.
Don't be deterred by this film's age; its critical acclaim is entirely deserved. The once-groundbreaking techniques employed in this film may have dated, but the skill and dedication put into this powerful character study of a wealthy but insecure media mogul means it is still essential viewing. Perfectly structured and executed.
Rated 02 Dec 2023
It’s hard for me to put in to words how much I loved this movie. It’s obviously extremely subversive, but I found the whole film to be admirable. The screenplay and dialogue is so sharp, clever, profound and even entertaining. I thought all of the acting was stellar, but it’s Welles that you want to see this for. Such an excellent performance for an excellent character. One of my favorite scripts and one of my new favorite movies. This whole movie aged like fine wine. Amazing.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
It's hard to find a film from sixty years ago that doesn't feel old for one minute. It's just so masterfully made. Throw in the whole historical importance and it's something really special.
Tremendously entertaining, moving and involving story, brought to life with some imaginative direction and great quality control. Highly recommended.
Rated 19 Oct 2007
It lives up to its reputation, almost, although I wouldn't say it was the greatest. I can see why someone might though. The acting, the timeless special effects, the story construction and I could go on and on naming off qualities and they can all be described as flawless.
The most COMPLETE film ever made. Much has been said about the cinematography, the sweeping symbolism and, yes, the controversial subject itself, but it's the story, folks. As relevant today as when it was made (maybe more so.)
Rated 29 Sep 2010
While I have no doubt that it has been revolutionary in the world of cinema, almost entirely from the way it was made, it manages to be an entertaining film. The story told through flashbacks gives us a good look and insight into the character of Charles Foster Kane, and while he isn't always acted with exceptionally, we still end up caring about the character. It's most definitely a film to watch if you are interesting in film history, or if you just want to learn a bit about William Hearst.
Rated 13 Apr 2010
Any remastering of this should include the sound of Rupert Murdoch cackling as the credits roll.
It's impossible to deny that Citizen Kane has had a larger influence on how movies are made now than any other film. Orson Welles proved his genius early on with this one. Awesome!
Rated 22 Jun 2012
It's a mostly boring film about an entirely unlikable fella who goes through childhood predicaments worthy of Disney kids films characters (including the - ahem - 'mystery' of "Rosebud", the brand of the sleigh with which the young Kane hit his guardian-to-be - no comment). I appreciate the technical innovations and, frankly, there are a couple of interesting scenes and some good acting, but the ridiculous 'script' (an awful narrator, some blokes commenting and a lot of flash-backs) condemns it.
Rated 09 Dec 2010
Why argue with awesomeness?
Rated 01 Sep 2009
It's not a completely perfect movie, as some critical lists might lead you to believe. But for me, Kane is one of the most intensely human characters I've ever seen, and that transcends most of the tiny flaws. Plus I've never watched this and NOT been overwhelmed by the ending.
Rated 14 Apr 2008
There is a reason this movie is a classic.Everyone needs to see this movie at least once.
Rated 22 Dec 2008
This movie is one of the best of its time, and a precursor for the template that now makes wonderful movies. Unfortunately, neither of those prove that it has any true lasting power, and like The Beatles, it only holds ground based on how it changed the world, but the impression of the actual quality proves less important than historic quality.
Rated 20 Sep 2007
Definitely not the best movie of all-time, and quite possibly the most overrated movie of all-time.
Rated 13 Apr 2007
You know what, I can honestly see why people don't think this is the greatest movie ever made, I mean I certainly don't think so. But, there is no denying that this film has had a tremendous impact on film, and it really is one of the better films out there. Orson Welles direction is brilliant, as well as his performance, and considering how young he was at the time was crazy. But the question is: "Is this picture really the greatest"? It's not our place to say, so shut up and stop arguing.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Easily one of if not the most influential movie ever made. Orson Welles most recognized film certainly lives up to its hype.
A triumph in cinema. Makes me wish I was older so I could have felt the impact of this leviathan when it first hit theaters.
Rated 24 May 2007
Fantastic. Orson Welles's direction and acting, the story and the way it's told, the cinematography, and perfect ending whether you know it first or not... is all fantastic.
Rated 06 May 2011
It's a sled.
Rated 25 Dec 2014
This truly is The Beatles of Film--in the way it made experimental & avant-garde techniques mainstream. But what gets overlooked is how timeless & perfect this actual story is. Charles Foster Kane will be a man of the times for as long as society demands the impossible out of flawed men. The script's ability to make his quest for adoration, and finding himself is wonderfully presented in outline, form and execution. That alone makes it worthy of the title of the greatest film of all time.
Rated 12 Aug 2009
"The greatest film ever made" seems to have one glaring flaw: it fails to create a strong emotional connection with me. Yes, the cinematography is a visual feast and obviously a huge innovation for its time, but behind its glossy skin is simply another good film...nothing more, nothing less.
Rated 18 Feb 2012
There are a few moments in my adult life, let's say about three hundred, that I relish more than my childhood. Getting a license to drive is one off the top of my head. Does that make Corey Haim my Citizen Kane? I hope not.
Rated 27 Apr 2011
Meanders for a few split-scenes, but easily a cinematic triumph. Welles was a genius, but his photography crew get the lions' share of the points. Undercuts the fake temptation of the American dream of consumer possessions with a poetic touch. Moments of wit and charm are added bonuses.
The finest achievement in filmmaking? Maybe. But this film has a hell of a lot going for it: a dynamite script, executed almost flawlessly by Welles and his Mercury Theater gang, and proficient camera work that practically rewrote the textbook for cinematography in contemporary film. Aside from that, it's a lot of fun to watch. I think its reputation as "greatest film ever" leaves viewers with unreasonable expectations, but honestly, you can't call yourself a cinephile if you haven't seen this.
Rated 26 Jan 2008
Believe the hype.
Rated 09 May 2008
Forget the technical wizardry, forget the historical importance and you know what you're left with? One of the most endlessly entertaining and re-watchable films ever made.
Rated 13 May 2008
Amazing. Orson Wells was a genius, it holds up after all of the years. I thought having the ending ruined for me would taper my enjoyment, but it did not. If you haven't seen this, you are not a cinema fan.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 1
Rated 26 May 2011
I can see why this is considered the best film of all time. Almost every aspect about "Citizen Kane" is nearly flawless -from the sublime performances to the nuanced, brilliantly structured script and of course the innovative direction and cinematography that pushed the envelope and revealed new, exciting potential in the art form that is film. Still, it's a film that you appreciate more than you love. Welles' rousing epic is admirable and impressive -and it's also relatively soulless. Oh, well.
This is one truly remarkable film, and an undeniable masterpiece.
Rated 04 May 2008
Often claimed to be the greatest film of all time, I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on that. What I can say is it's at the very least a masterpiece, and for Welles to create this at such a young age is astounding.
Rated 03 Apr 2008
I don't agree that this is the best movie ever, but after watching it a second time it is quite impressive and for the most part both entertaining and moving. Welles' direction is masterful, especially the use of shadows and light, and his acting is not far behind. It's quite impressive that he plays Kane convincingly from his youth all the way to his death bed as an old man. The story isn't perfectly paced but it is effective and pretty captivating.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
There is not much to say about this film that hasn't already been said. It revolutionized modern movie making, and much of what has happened since with, writing, directing, cinematography and editing is very much owed to this.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
I was a little scared of watching this one since I seem to dislike several of the other 'best movies ever' (I don't care what anybody says, Casablanca sucks) and I wasn't sure if I could bear hating yet another classic and being labeled as an uncultured jerk for the umpteenth time. Turns out my fears were in vain. Citizen Kane is totally awesome.
Rated 15 Aug 2008
I couldn't quite appreciate this 12 years ago on first viewing, but can now. A masterpiece.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
Considering the time of its release you only have the option to give this the full 100. It's amazing to see all these camera and editing techniques already being used in 1941. A true classic.
The greatest film ever made and not just on an academic level.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
What else is there to say about this film that has not already been said in the most eloquent of ways by so many others? Citizen Kane is, quite simply, "the great American movie." Everyone is familiar with its groundbreaking technique, its deceptively complex narrative and themes, and its stirring performance from Orson Welles. To me, what makes Citizen Kane great is not any one of these parts; it's how they all fell into place so perfectly to form a perpetually modern piece of cinema.
Rated 05 Sep 2007
Welles was one of the finest writers, directors and actors. In this film, he shows off all three talents. Kane is, of course, a thinly disguised bio of William Randolph Hearst. A couple things about this film infuriated the Hearst family: the 'too thin disguise' & the use of the term "rosebud" [curious readers can look this up]. This is a big film with lots of good characters, a good plot, a love story and all other human emotions on display. This is judged as one of the best films eve
Rated 02 Nov 2011
I go against the grain and call this one a snoozer. What's all the fuss about?
Rated 07 Jul 2010
I didn't actually expect to like Citizen Kane. I kind of expected it to be an underwhelming intellectual exercise. It's great. For real.
Rated 09 Apr 2017
I am contractually obligated to rate this film on my highest tier, or else I risk losing my film rating credentials.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
# 1
Rated 25 Sep 2010
A terrific character study and a stunning technical achievement. Earns it's reputation as a masterpiece.
Rated 28 Aug 2012
This is supposed to be one of the best films of all time? I didn't hate it, but I can't help but scoff at that notion. Welles is good, but some of the acting is horrid (if that manager had a bigger role I would have probably hated it). The story didn't really strike me as amazing either. I admit this was probably a very pioneering work in its day, but that doesn't give me hardly enough to merit me giving it the ludicrous score that was my PSI.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
Pfft it's no Citizen Kane. Wait...it is Citizen Kane.
Classic, and very, very pretty to look at. Orson Welles is da mack.
must see for how perfect a movie can be...great pacing...powerful and engaging!!!
Rated 20 Aug 2018
"aren't they always wrong in what they write? i don't think history can possibly be true." - welles to cavett, 1970. | the futility, (F for) falseness and destructiveness of the monuments we build to ourselves, individually (i.e. art) and culturally (myth, i.e. the american dream), in order to (re)make of the world a snowglobe which preserves us as we truly are (in innocence), to be known, understood, loved and remembered. alas, time shatters all such fantasies, and the rubble burns to smoke.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Incredibly overrated. It's impact on the industry, though, cannot be overstated, and therefore this is required watching for any movie buff.
One if, if not the, greatest American films.
Rated 11 Feb 2010
It must've been great seeing this on the big screen when it came out, unencumbered by the weight of the praise Citizen Kane accumulated over the decades and it's status as the greatest movie of all time. Not my favorite, but certainly influential and enjoyable.
The AFI's number one film and it's obvious to see why. This film is so far ahead of its time it feels like it could've been made this year... that is if there were any great films released so far.
Rated 22 Apr 2018
Technically astounding even when compared to many films today.
Rated 03 May 2011
Incredible from a technical perspective, but also in terms of the storytelling. Everything about this film is just so bold and vibrant. Not only the lighting, the camera angles, the editing, the incredible sets; but also the way the story is told through flashbacks, newspaper headlines, third party accounts, all of which are designed to carry the true mystery of the film; that is not "what is rosebud?", but "who is Charles Foster Kane?"
Rated 04 Jan 2007
Still a strong contender for greatest movie ever made. Certainly gives you your money's worth. If you didn't see this in your film history class, you should sue them for malpractice.
Rated 28 Dec 2007
29 Aralik 07 - 01:28'de bitti, dvd.sembol yagmuru.kaybedilen ve ozlenen cocuklugu basariyle anlatmis, mukemmel bir senaryoya ve yonetmenlige sahip."rosebud!"
Rated 15 Mar 2009
What can you say about the film considered by many to be the finest picture ever made in America? To 1940s audiences, the plot may have seemed obscured by flashbacks, unusual camera angles, and lens distortion. Today, however, most of these film tricks are commonplace, but the story, the acting of the Mercury Company cast, Gregg Toland's camera work, and Bernard Herrmann's score haven't aged a bit.
Rated 13 Sep 2007
One of the greatest movies of all time, Orson Welles did a phenomenal job directing, writing, and acting in this picture. Everybody should have to see this movie some day.
Rated 21 Jul 2008
A movie that lives up to it's title of Best american film. It's one of the greatest films ever made, and Orson Welles is a brilliant director! This, is the definition of film, this is the definition of classic, and this is a masterpiece!
Rated 08 Jul 2007
Ground-breaking filmmaking and ahead of its time.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
I'll throw all caution and credibility to the wind and admit that I didn't love this. The camera techniques are a glory to behold, but that's the only part I was impressed with. The story itself was convoluted and dry in parts. I'm not denying its influence and achievements, but it's not a perfect film by any means.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
It's next to impossible for modern viewers to watch this for the first time and understand how ground-breaking it was when released. The direction style, camera work, even the style of acting was so progressive and influential that nearly every dramatic film that followed was affected in some fundamental way. Impressively, the visuals and editing still stand up nearly 80 years later. While it may not be everyone's favorite film, its reputation as the 'greatest' American movie is well earned.
Among the five best movies of all time, some would say the best- wait, why do I even need to review this? If you're reading this you should've seen it already.
movie that inspired me to go into film. one of them.
Rated 10 Sep 2011
I believe most of the acclaim for this film comes from the fact that it is innovative for its time. If this were rated in 1941, then yes, a perfect score would likely be appropriate. If this were rated based on its influence on film, the same. However, it simply does not stand the test of time decades later against many other films which now exist as the greatest film ever made. It is more of a showcase than anything else, doing a poor job of keeping viewers connected to the story.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
(insert random appraisal here)
Rated 29 Apr 2008
I neglected to watch this until after it was declared the greatest movie of all time. Then I watched it, and was suitably impressed. I can see how this movie is stylistically unlike anything that came before it.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
One hundred, duh.
Rated 19 Jan 2012
It may be cinematic blasphemy to say so, but I didn't think this was the greatest film ever. Don't get me wrong, it was a great film. Especially for its time. It was expertly directed by Orson Welles. And the cinematography was beautiful. It didn't truly effect me though, emotionally or otherwise. Therefore, I won't agree with everyone else, but I completely respect the film as a brilliant work of art.
Rated 07 Oct 2008
Far too much virtuosity for my taste. Perfect example of style over substance but it's so groundbreaking critics don't care. Like listening to most virtuoso musicians: the technique is staggering but it's not really a song you want to hear again and again. Best appreciated by fans of the technical craft.
Rated 08 Feb 2021
This is proof that complete creative control can be a very good thing when it comes to making movies, as long as the person bestowed with this privilege is a genius, hardworking, quick to learn and thinks about what they are doing, could do and ought to do. Enter Orson Welles, the Mercury Theatre crew and company. There is no other film like this and never will be. The answer to the question 'what is unique about cinema as a medium and art form?' is; 'Citizen Kane'. This is the magic of cinema.
Rated 31 Mar 2021
Maybe it's an insult to cinematic history to rate this movie from the hip, but in the end, art is timeless. This movie is boring for the most part. The find of 'Rosebud' is masterful and the open end stimulating and fresh. There are two actors that stand the test of time: Welles (the youth-part) and Agnes Moorehead. Unfortunately, O.W. fell into the trap of so many who Can Do Everything For One Film. Here does not seem to have been the right criticism at play, it is a typical knot of loose ideas
Rated 25 Jul 2010
It's truly a masterpiece, especially if you look at the influence it has had on so many other films. What's too bad is that even though rating systems exist, it's a little sad that I'm so curious and hardly ever watch movies anymore without consulting the internet about it. Like this, the expectations were really high and normally, those films are bound to disappoint but I'm really impressed. Kudos to Mr Welles. And I can finally stop being embarassed because I hadn't seen this yet