2024
Action
In the near future, a team of journalists travel across the United States during a rapidly escalating civil war that has engulfed the entire nation. (imdb)

2024
Action

Rated 09 Apr 2024
Some really startling and effectively tense/scenes imagery as well as fantastic performances (maybe not so much Wagner Moura) but it never really coheres or tries to be “about” anything in any way. It being so apolitical will bother some more than others but I found it impossible to ignore because without any sense of that I don’t really know what Garland is trying to say. War is bad and photojournalists do a necessary job and that’s it? But it’s well made and the Dunst/Spaeny arc is good
Rated 11 Apr 2024
In a 2024 film about the fall of a once great nation titled "Civil War", it's one thing to focus on your characters and the grizzly nature of military combat, but it's another thing entirely to go well out of your way to avoid stirring the pot by refusing to explore the politcal themes and motivations that would have led to such a conflict, and it's a completely unforgiveable thing to refuse to narratively explain which sides are which and what they are fighting for.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
Don't bother, watch Ken Burn's 'Civil War' instead, which is also about a civil war in the U.S.A. and its reporting by the press (in particular in photographic form). In addition, also watch Peter Watkins' 'La Commune (Paris, 1871)' which is likely the greatest film about the intertwining of warfare and the mass media.
Rated 13 Apr 2024
The dullest, most boring and unimaginative thing I've seen this year. Everything you see on screen looks great. But there is nothing holding the individual scenes together. This could've just been a VFX highlight reel instead of a movie.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
It's spectacular at times, colossally tense at others. But, it lacks a theme beyond "photojournalism is hard and spiritually draining". It feels like pages of a diary rather than a story in context. It's a shame, this feels a lot more real than speculative at the moment. Certainly a big screen watch, but it lacks a true depth. I'm not angry, just a bit disappointed and unsatisfied.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
Spaeny is great. The rest is mediocre and either disillusioned or dishonest about its intentions. Instead, watch: Nightcrawler, Children of Men, Come and See, Do the Right Thing, any film by Peter Watkins, or documentaries about real wars. Or if you want to watch the destruction of American landmarks (which is fine), just shamelessly watch a Roland Emmerich film like the rest of us.
Rated 18 Apr 2024
It was very impactful for me while I was watching and immediately afterward, but the more I reflect, the less I'm sure this is a great film. The plot armor of the main characters and the final assault team is insane. The lack of explanation for the sides meant the combatants' tolerance of journalists felt unbelievable. I don't know how a film can be so infuriatingly neutral. Fav scene: Plemons' entire interaction was all tension.
Rated 13 Apr 2024
The apolitical nature of it is annoying because it's a political concept, so to not explore it comes across as spineless, rather than meaningful commentary on how destructive divisiveness can be. Vague to the point of nothingness, a movie about civil war with little bite. As just a film, it's shot well, acted well, and had some great moments (and even a bit of comedy). The final push is TENSE. But there are also weird musical tonal shifts that undercut scenes. Shallow but entertaining.
Rated 12 Apr 2024
Apocalypse Now Extra-Lite? A good action movie with engrossing war scenes, but forgot to have a story, except perhaps some kind of 'the revolution will be televised' theme about the interplay of media and government/military?
Rated 18 Apr 2024
Aside from an odd character decision toward the end of the movie, I don’t really have any complaints here. It’s technically impeccable. Sound, editing, production design and cinematography are all super solid, and Garland’s directing is great. He knows how to build tension really effectively and direct his actors (all of whom are stellar by the way). I thought his take on photojournalism, American iconography and war violence was executed pretty well, and I didn’t mind that it was apolotical.
Rated 12 Apr 2024
ah, so this is what Axl meant when he sang "we don't need no civil war"
Rated 20 Apr 2024
Film qui invite à réfléchir sur la manière dont on absorbe la violence, et nous aurions tord de la sous-estimée. Excellente musique et excellente Kirsten Dunst, le seul problème vient uniquement de la structure scénaristique, qui fait passer le film pour un documentaire fictionnel, la bande-annonce vous ment sur la nature du produit. Et Joel n'a aucune réaction pour Lee à la fin, alors qu'il pleurait et hurlait en slow motion pour Sammy 20 minutes plus tôt. Erreur ?
Rated 12 Apr 2024
Perfectly encapsulates the risk of journalism and how far people are willing to go for truth, even when they know they could die anytime. Kinda plays out like a Horror/Apocalypse movie.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
Excellent movie. Disturbing for sure given how this is not as far fetched as one might hope. I love how the focus was from the perspective of the journalists.
Rated 12 Apr 2024
Pretty gripping, from start to finish. It didn't really bother me that it ends up never going into the reasoning for everything, I feel like they address that pretty on the nose in a couple of scenes (snipers getting fed up with questions, saying "he's shooting at us, so we're shooting at him", and Dunst saying they just record and show, and people will ask the questions later). The movie feels more about war at the ground level, the desensitization, absurdity, chaos and horrors.
Rated 10 Apr 2024
My score might come down, but it's gripping in the cinema (Imax). I'd try and see it somewhere with good sound. Shocking, upsetting. I thought the male lead was a little casual, but good performances. There's surprisingly little politics or backstory, it's primarily about journalism and depicting a realistic modern of war, in the best-known rich country.
Rated 15 Apr 2024
Filmed beautifully and it's quite immersive, yet my high expectations were not met. The story and characters were serviceable, but didn't stand out. Some events and actions felt quite random or like they were only added to move the plot forward or make a certain hamfisted point. I disagree with those saying the film didn't take a political side, I thought this was fairly obvious. The ending felt a bit anticlimactic. But my main disappointment is that it didn't really make me think very deeply.
Rated 21 Apr 2024
Garland’s knack for creating a multi-layer discourse within his ideas & perspective is certainly prime for controversial concepts, and Civil War scratches that itch. While not fundamentally deep in its hyper political theme, the social commentary makes for a super interesting watch. It manages to capture the reality of war and its roots within a more personal context, one of which that shows to be dire & depressing at many different levels, even if a bit underwhelming and misleading.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
It's a compelling concept piece, but instead deviates to be primarily about combat photojournalism and what the journalists go through. The movie is completely subsumed into its subplot.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
What a stunning movie. Garland is one of the most underrated visual directors currently working. Seeing the "race to Berlin" take place in Washington was surreal and left me with a huge respect to war photographers. I look forward to enjoying this film for years to come
Rated 12 Apr 2024
Alex Garland films have notoriously overpromised and underdelivered for me and after sitting through this in IMAX I think he officially bucked that trend. The audacious scope is matched with incredibly choreographed action and stylistic flourishes, somehow making this thing work. Probably the closest a film has ever come to matching Children of Men's immediacy and immersion.
Rated 15 Apr 2024
A searing indictment of American exceptionalism and—more importantly—of the self-inflicted wounds of tribalism. Like all good war films, it’s about the lives affected by conflict.
Rated 18 Apr 2024
Very good movie that doesn't quite live up to its aspirations but works well on its own. It's purposefully obfuscation of politics means it says less than it might but also makes it a more universal warning than it otherwise might be. It works relatively well on this level. As a human story, too, it works very well with good characters brought to life by strong performances, especially by Dunst and Spaeny (who is a superstar.) The last half hour is quite masterful.
Rated 11 May 2024
Actively smug. Garlands worst and I'm a fan
Rated 26 Apr 2024
Ineffective as a piece of coherent political filmmaking, but very effective as a high-concept thriller and dual character study. Alex Garland gets a lot of (not undeserved) flack for his screenwriting, but he’s a very good director and this is a convincing display of that. And the cast is excellent all-around. I went into this a skeptic, but I dug this pretty much the whole way through.
Rated 20 Apr 2024
Technically superb with the exception of some bad CGI that tries to present the Atlanta region as the eastern seabord. Really interesting and well executed angle of the conflict through a journalists perspective. There are some very engrossing, disturbing scenes but the characters are flat and the overall narrative amounts to very little. A perplexing, inconsistent and ultimately frustrating film
Rated 23 May 2024
From a photojournalistic perspective, I really admired how it aptly visualises the work of journalists and press photographers including the dangers and challenges they so clearly face. Narratively, I wish it had relied less on tired action tropes and sensation-driven visuals and more on a naturalistic, spontaneous approach. Not sure what that soundtrack was all about, but it didn't suit the film at all and always took me out of it. Please cast Wagner Moura in more films.
Rated 14 May 2024
Such a concept could warrant a whole TV series, with the amount of possible scenarios that could be conjured up. Yet Garland goes with more than a few baffling, anticlimactic scenes, particularly in the film's middle. The final sequence is when the film embraces its boyish shoot-em-up nature, and although it ends on a unrealistic note, the brutishness of it (along with a real good Suicide needle drop) make this a memorable ending to an unmemorable movie.
audiovisual 84 acting 85 overall feeling 77 avg 82
Rated 25 May 2024
"Civil War" adopts a minimalist yet visceral and realistic tone as it explores a civil war in the USA. The excellent performances and the realism of the scenes, especially in the final fights, are highlights. The film focuses on the reporters who accompany the soldiers, documenting the war in a cold way, showing the trivialization of life. The movie shows the stupidity of war, highlighting the futility of divisions and the result of the death instincts inherent to extremist ideologies.
#24#, rw3, story, creator Garland!, Kirsten.D
Rated 13 Apr 2024
Like Facebook "vague-booking", it's an incomplete story which undercuts the good it presents. I can come to terms with the creative decision NOT to "take a side" (instead creating an apolitical fantasy land), but the fact that this refuses to show you WHY THERE'S A CIVIL WAR, is a bridge too far. If the message is just "photojournalism is hard and important", then... okay. And that ending is bad. It's definitely a letdown when there's probably enough good here to otherwise call it serviceable.
Rated 24 May 2024
Some are commenting that this is an apolitical treatment of war. This, for me, is a misreading. What we seem to have is contemporary critical commentary on the externalised consumption of violence in war. It pulls us in two directions: We watch through the twice distanced aesthetic lens of the film-maker through the photographer. We are then also asked to consider the intimate and perhaps domestic banality of war on our doorstep. The whole thing is beautiful and it shouldn't be.
Rated 05 May 2024
I wish I went into this without watching the trailers... Makes some very nuanced points about war, but I wish I knew it'd be "28 Days Later but with an American civil war backdrop" and not "a very political action movie about people who has to travel from A to B to survive in a war". Jesse Plemons... What a great actor.
Rated 24 Apr 2024
Grim.
Rated 06 May 2024
Gripping for the entirety of its duration, and it has so much to say, just not what people were expecting it to say. It's sad to see a sizeable chunk of the cinephile community seemingly turning on Alex Garland for some reason, his last three films have all been excellent but weren't met with the reception they deserved. No wonder he's taking an indefinite hiatus from directing
Rated 26 Apr 2024
The action scenes feel like Stuntman for the PS2. What a vile film haha.
Rated 24 May 2024
There is not much substance to it, but the mood got me.
Rated 30 Apr 2024
Bland spectacle. It should at least work as a genre actioner or something -- but it chooses to look like elevated action instead lol --, because we're not getting anything politically juicy from Garland's centrist approach. Cast is awesome, but stuck with boring expository shit with one or two truly good scenes -- Plemons' one, of course. As a journalist, I feel like Lee: tired, kinda old and totally cynical about journalism, but I keep doing my job anyway because I'm just used to it.
Rated 23 Apr 2024
It’s hard to pin point the exact reason I didn’t like this besides the fact it was just kinda boring.
Rated 20 Apr 2024
It is an OK movie. That it didn't take your side in the culture war doesn't mean it's apolitical. It takes a rather strong stance against the arrogance of power and complacent elites. It also attempts to be a meditation on war journalism but falls a little bit flat on that front.
Rated 29 Apr 2024
It's not about war, but about war photojournalists. The film is a collection of small scenes that are good but is less than the sum of its parts. While well produced, especially in terms of sound work, the film has a serious problem with lack of depth.
Rated 14 May 2024
Well acted pointless propaganda piece.
Rated 27 Apr 2024
2024'de #IzlediğimFilmler ; 102. Civil War (2024) Teknik anlamda kusursuz. Politik olmamak adına hikaye orijini hakkında hiçbir bilgi vermiyor. Gazetecilerin motivasyonlarına da ikna olamayınca maalesef beklentilerimin altında çıktım salondan. 7/10
Rated 06 May 2024
Set pieces ruled but the script was dreadful.
Rated 24 Apr 2024
It's a road movie with the usual random stops. The intention was for every stop to mean something, I'm sure, but it doesn't dwell on them much. For the best, really, unlike its lack of dwelling on the characters or an overarching story. It's visually impressive tho; very well shot.
Rated 29 Apr 2024
With a film like this out right now that's made after everything that's gone on from 2016 to 2021, its lack of backstory is lent to the real world, with Alex Garland fully aware that all art is inherently political. Felt like a reverse Apocalypse Now in a sense, where we start off with the horrors of war and a war-torn backdrop to delving into combat and fully armoured "badassery" that the film could've veered away from, but alas, time to sell to the markets.
Rated 20 Apr 2024
Don’t look for a story, there isn’t one. It’s a warning.
Rated 21 Apr 2024
Photojournalists traveling through war torn America hoping to catch the big scoop. It ended strongly and I would recommend it. It's not political in a "picking sides of the culture war" way, just in a "it could happen here" warning. But...WTF was with the De La Soul needle drop?? Worst ever.
Rated 28 Apr 2024
The politics and moralism are hollow at best and either the story is disillusioned or dishonest about its intentions. Civil war is bad, don't you know. The last 20 minutes are fun if not for the self-serious intentions of the filmmaker. Just watch "ID4" or "Olympus Has Fallen " for white house destruction.
Rated 24 May 2024
What works is the Journalism angle allowing us the viewer to see the action in real time. What does not work is the lack of clarity as to what brought this on in the first place. In order for me to fully feel immersed by a high concept such as this the context is important. The actors do a fine job but the having no idea why they were there really took me out. There felt like no stakes because there was no explanation of why each side was fighting for their cause.
Rated 11 May 2024
Some really great, well-executed scenes but lacks depth and complexity to the characters Doesn't say much meaningful about current US culture/politics beyond "fighting is bad" - enjoyable and would rewatch, but didn't resonate as much as hoped given the premise. Score: 6/10 or 12/20
Rated 13 Apr 2024
Badly imagined, contextless war zone shoot em up with distancing, hip effects in direction and narrative. I have no idea what is supposed to be accomplished here - a general warning not to let the Western world slip into barbarism?
Rated 25 May 2024
Intense. Beautifully shot. Really makes use of the sound design. Was ear piercing/gorgeous w Dolby atmos/vision combo for an at home viewing. There's a lot of missing pieces, but it nails the in your face chaos of war. This one leaves a mark. 8.0
Rated 02 May 2024
Civil War leaves aside political stance and does not promise to deepen the causes of the war. Alex Garland focuses on the destruction of society rather than the destruction of war and shows the cruelty of humanity in the harshest way. It is also technically magnificent, in addition to Garland's great direction, the cinematography, editing and sound mixing are very successful. Really, really good movie.
Rated 19 Apr 2024
Shame the magnificent action and tense atmosphere is too often disrupted by a boring story about a boring photographer and her boring apprentice. Also, it would be nice if Wagner Moura could speak lines without constantly exhaling smoke.
Rated 22 Apr 2024
Not too long ago, this premise would have fallen in the same farfetched category as Red Dawn, but times sure have changed haven't they... Dystopia cleverly framed as a road movie, giving it a documentary feel, that elevates the whole thing tremendously, especially the action scenes that are among some of the most visceral, I've ever seen.