Clash-of-the-Titans

Ratings and reviews:

Clash of the Titans

1981
Family/Kids, Fantasy
The old-timey special effects, theatrical acting, and irony-free storytelling help this movie feel like a larger-than-life Greek myth, which is awesome. A fun, nostalgic tale of ancient gods, heroes, and monsters.
Pretty cheesy even by 80s fantasy standards. The special effects vary wildly (Best aged: Medusa. Worst aged: the Kraken) and the plot is simplistic to the extreme but sort of satisfying. I can see why they picked it to remake; I just hope they leave the little golden robot owl out.
A real classic film. Though the special effects don't hold up to our time, the film is still a hella lot of fun and great to watch, bringing back fond memories of my childhood. Also, way better than the recent remakes.
This movie is charming as H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.
A real charming sense of magic and adventure help to gloss over the weaker / cheesy parts. While the finale is rather lackluster, the stop-motion is decent and the designs are ok. More movies would benefit from the addition of giant freakin' scorpions. A sense of nostalgia helps boost the score a bit.
A lot of fun. Great practical effects, although the chroma key looks pretty janky in places. Entertaining and broad (in a good way, here) performances from many of the actors, particularly those portraying the Greek Pantheon.
Horrendously dated. Some of the special effects aren't bad but every stop-motion animation effect requires a non-moving camera resulting in really static and boring cinematography when the action heats up. Perseus is cardboard cut-out hero that really could have used some depth and the only interesting characters are the gods which get next to no screen time. Hopefully in the remake they'll correct these mistakes. Oh and get rid of that shitty robot owl. Seriously, what the hell was that?
Harryhausen's last fling. Some of his best stop motion and a great Greek epic. Fun flix that's very entertaining.
It's a simple but effective story, and Ray Harryhausen's effects are out of this world. Classic youth oriented fantasy action.
I'm missing something here. Maybe it's because I saw it restored in HD on blu-ray, but I thought a majority of the effects were downright awful. Like, 1950s Godzilla style awful. I say that as a huge fan of old-school practical effects, and I always have a lot of admiration for effort even if ambitions exceed ability. I don't know what to say though. This was largely laughable, aside from the Olympus scenes which I liked the style of.
Bad in many things, but story about Perseus and a fact that in my childhood it was great in the eyes....
A very slow moving movie that seems to take forever, but it did have a decent cast to help sludge through this. I love watching Ray Harryhausen effects though as they are fun to watch and to see how it turns out.
It has its moments, and I am a bit of a sucker for this kind of adventure if done competently. It wasn't dull at all, but it wasn't often exciting either. It tells the story it sets out to with decent pacing and nice Harryhausen effects. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ah, required viewing in high school humanities classes. Awful effects - hilarious at times - combined with weird, unnecessary twists on the existing story make for an all around mediocre experience. But hey, Harry Hamlin!
This movie sucks so hard that my vacuum cleaner ran out of the house and threw itself under the wheels of a truck.
Let's get Kraken!
I'm biased... it has all the classic Sinbad elements, plus Greek Mythology! Engaging, visually fun and great storytelling.
An epic adventure that I enjoyed over and over again as a child. The blu ray came out and i still enjoy it. especially when I'm drinking everytime they say gods, or perseus draws his sword (with shots for when they release the kraken). It's all you can ask for with an epic adventure. various monsters, a princess, a flying steed, weapons and armor with special powers. and bubo the comic relief.
it was so horrible. I was forced to watch this in my Astronomy elective. I was cringing throughout the entire movie.
Like the classic myths it's drawn from, the love story's as dully perfect as its hero & said hero never faces more than one threat at a time- thankfully no fighting mummy armies 2 b found here. & yes, the old efx do look clunky, but the fight w/ Medusa is as intense & creepy as ever. Also, the score's great; the Stygian witches r a hoot; & the story's been culled from timeless classics rather than put 2gether piece-meal according 2 the whims of market-tested adolescents on a skateboarding break
Duuude, these movies are so fantastic to watch. I never get tired of 'em!
Way better than the remake. Pretty entertaining Greek mythology movie.
Overlong and flatly directed, this can't hold a candle to earlier Ray Harryhausen fantasies like _The 7th Voyage of Sinbad_ and _Jason and the Argonauts_ but is still entertaining, with top-notch stop-motion (by Harryhausen, in his last film, and Jim Danforth), a good score by Laurence Rosenthal, playful acting from Olivier (as Zeus), Smith and Meredith, and Hamlin in a diaper. But that mechanical owl, Bubo, has got to go.
A perfect vehicle through which special-effects wizard Ray Harryhausen can show his stuff.
Greek mythology sets a big scale but the effects do it more than proud. Some questionable acting here and there don't deteriorate the fact that this is a great fantasy movie. The score was spot on which only helped create some very memorable scenes.