Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

1993
Action

Rated 27 Apr 2019
Watching Jon Lithgow take Sly on in a fist fight “oh yes this is fair.”
Rated 09 Jun 2021
The taglines for this included "The Height of Adventure" and, you may want to sit down for this one, "Hang On!" I would've gone with, "The most fun you can have without a harness" or "Gabe Walker is in for the rockiest moment of his life, atop the Rocky Mountains" or "From Renny Harlin, a director of films" or "4,000 feet above the Earth, the last thing to hold onto...is your breath!" I'm wasting my talents.
Rated 01 Dec 2006
"Kill a few people, they call you a murderer. Kill a million and you're a conqueror." MOVIE GOLD
Rated 07 Aug 2013
Solid actioner that doesn't have any warehouse scenes! The mountain-climbing action and cinematography really sets this film apart from other action films with lower production value and less creativity. The heist plot is great, and Michael Rooker gives a strong performance, as does Lithgow. Worth a watch.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
I like John Lithgow. He has the face, voice and mannerisms of a good action film baddy. But the dialogue in this is just appaling. I mean at least with Schwarzenegger it was stuff you wouldn't be embarressed repeating in front of friends. Also the number of times someone got killed, there's a brief "Nooooooooooo" from one of the goodies and then they just skip swiftly on... Rubbish.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
This movie is a ridiculously plotted, horribly overacted, action packed shitbox stuffed with terrible quips and ludicrous stunts...and I can't stop watching every time its on TV. I'm not going to over analyse why, other than to say Lithgow is hilarious as the 'Smarmy Bad Guy'.
Rated 18 Feb 2010
A film that I honestly cannot hate because of how silly it is. Also it's entertaining to see John Lithgow ham it up as much as possible as a pretty unlikely villain. The action is preposterous stuff and the take on mountain climbing is.."interesting" to say the least.
Rated 14 Aug 2011
So dumb.
Rated 23 Mar 2015
While the premise and script are very typical of action movies of the period, what really sets this effort apart are the excellent stunt work and photography, all impressively filmed on location rather than in the studio. This, as well as the good pacing and eclectic cast, help to keep it engaging throughout. Stallone gives a better showing than his usual, but Lithgow's over-the-top villain feels underused.
Rated 12 Jan 2007
Director Harlin gets a lot of shit these says but this is actually a very competent action film which utilizes its location perfectly. It's a clear continuation of bad-ass 80's action films with un-PC one liners and violence. Stallone is OK while Lithgow is hilarious in his scenery-chewing villain role.
Rated 01 May 2007
Gloriously, ridiculously violent in only the way Renny Harlin could do it, we should have a parade for this guy.
Rated 04 Oct 2019
The beautiful yet intimidating natural setting of the snow-capped Rockies is a breath of fresh (mountain) air for the action-thriller genre here, and together with the notable performances by all the main players it makes for a solid film able to withstand the test of time, as the unforgiving elements and edge-of-your-seat rock climbs appreciably amplify the character-focused heist/hostage tension. It's not flashy or deep and its plot is a bit forgettable but it's a taut and exciting watch.
Aside from a few cheesy lines, Cliffhanger is a great action-adventure movie. It's funny and keeps you glued to your seat. Maintains focus, presents a plenty of fun-to-hate bad guys and throws in a few well visualized scenes. Stallone climbs his way out of trouble, which is a marked change from his usual. Great snowy mountain views and Lithgow plants the seeds that saw him dominate on Dexter as Trinity. It makes rock climbing sexy.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
The sheer physicality and danger of the mountain climbing parts makes this far more engrossing that just another thriller about men pointing guns at each other over money. The outdoor location makes a change from the genre's usual convention too. It does resort to some clichés, but with that outdoor freshness, and good music and editing, the package is definitely one of the better action man movies of the 90s.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
PSI of 27!? Love Sly in this silly and over the top action thriller. I don't care what anyone says, it fun and satisfyingly stupid. Lithgow is awesome as the stereotypical nasty villian too.
Rated 10 Aug 2009
As it reminds me of my childhood I can't but enjoy watching this ridiculous crap. One of those action flicks that formed entire generation. There were some genuinely suspenseful scenes and Litgow is the new experience for me in this flick. When you're underteen kid it's all about Stallone.
Rated 26 May 2021
Wasn't great but was still entertaining on release and that can still be said about it after another recent rewatch. Slightly different Stallone action fare in that he's trying to play less of an action bad ass and more of an everyman (with 40 inch biceps) but many of the climbing scenes offer enough entertainment to hold the viewer's interest in what is otherwise a fairly mediocre plot.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
This actually is pretty entertaining. They manage to pull of the menace of climbing etc. quite well. Lithgow is a lot of fun and Stallone is solid.
Rated 07 May 2012
Cliffhanger is your generic action film that has nothing special to offer us. The action scenes are standard affair, the plot is there just as a backdrop for the action scenes, and the actors aren't any good, but how could they considering their characters are less interesting than a rock. I couldn't get involved in the film, even though it got off to a decent start. Cliffhanger might work better as a film to play in the background while doing something more interesting.
Rated 12 Jul 2012
Re-watched this and while parts were pretty cheezy and some of the dialogue was cringe worthy I have to say this is still a damn fun action film.
Rated 17 Nov 2013
Cliffhanger is a very underrated action film and one of Stallone's only decent films of the 90's. The set pieces, suspense and violence make this a good all round and exciting action film. Looking back Stallone gives a cardboard cut out performance but as a kid I loved him in this. Lithgow is a real nasty bastard of a villain. Rooker is half decent here also. Cliffhanger hasn't aged particularly well, but growing up I loved this film and I still enjoy it after umpteen viewings. Classic Stallone.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
While it can't escape comparisons to the movies it borrows from, Cliffhanger is a tense, action-packed thriller and a showcase for the talents that made Sylvester Stallone a star.
Rated 08 Jul 2020
Passable (if stunningly shot) actioner never quite gets the energy back from its brilliantly tense opening sequence, a mini-masterpiece of action film-making. It's an enjoyable (if brutal) bit of fun, lacking a powerful villain or chemistry between its actors - Lithgow seems to be dialing back from the manic zeal of RICOCHET, and Stallone too often falls into monosyllabic mumbling, meaning the tension ebbs and flows (especially compared to SHOOT TO KILL, which this shares some resonances with).
Rated 22 Dec 2015
It's preposterous, even by Stallone's standards, but Cliffhanger remains one of the better Die Hard inspired actioners to be released during the tail end of the genre's golden era. It's a technically precise, incredibly well executed mountain thriller that offers exhilarating stunts and visceral white knuckle thrills. What elevates the film above its admittedly mediocre material is the stunning use of its rocky mountain setting, which is beautiful and terrifying in equal measure.
Rated 07 Jan 2007
Surprisingly decent popcorn flick. Some good suspenseful scenes, and a fine role for John Lithgow.
Rated 22 Feb 2007
Poor.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Just another action role to be filled by Stalone. Not to say it wasn't fun to watch. Just not much novelty behind it.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
One of Stallone's better actioners, and one of his most successful, but someone really needed to kill off that love interest at his side. She's bloody awful.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
OK it's a Stallone action film, but it's one of the better ones. This one dares to be more grim and violent than you expect such a mainstream picture to be, and as such is more exciting. Sometimes the bozos get one right
Rated 27 Dec 2019
Awesome opening. Dumb rest. Has some great shots, though. And some cool performances (Rooker, Linn, Goodall, Turner). And the basic plot premise is decent enough, I guess. But I think Renny Harlin is just too much of a dumb director for it to be any better. And I don't mean to say he's a director, who is dumb. I'm saying he directs and puts together movies in a a way so that they're really dumb. But not in a fun way. In a boring, dumb way.
Rated 26 May 2007
Bleh.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
horribly cheesy in every sense with terrible acting, ridiculous stunts, and john lithgow as the badass bad guy, but it is simply fun at every moment to watch
Rated 13 Jul 2007
...both over-the-top and annoying.
Rated 27 Jul 2007
Possibly my 2nd least favorite movie after Street Fighter.
good meaty thriller
I expected a lot more out of John Lithgow after he was so godawesome in Ricochet, but this movie just never delivers...but then again, I can't think of one good movie that has mountain climbing sequences. Cliffhanger, therefore, doomed itself to failure.
Not bad, but don't worry if you missed it.
Worth it just to see Stallone try to act.
I like the whole idea of this film. Good casting unless you don't like Stallone. Action is different for the time.
Plenty of thrills in this action flick - not much drama, but that's asking too much considering the lead actor and the director.
Cheap amusement
Rated 30 Apr 2020
This is exactly what I'd expect Renny Harlin to make following Die Hard 2. Like that film, Cliffhanger's absurd plot is kept afloat by charming characters (even when they're overacting), bonkers practical effects, and gratuitous bullet squibs. It doesn't always hold up, and Stallone quickly becomes one-note after the action kicks in, but I had a ball experiencing this for the first time. I think that says a lot for a near 30 year old flick.
Rated 23 Aug 2007
Very Good
Rated 07 Sep 2007
If it had any other lead, it would have been a hit. Never the less, Sly is in great shape, and Lithgow is brilliant. Great action movie.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
I remember watching this as a kid and liking it. Now that I'm older, I've got no idea how good or bad it actually is so I'll play it safe with the rating.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
silly but entertaining
Rated 17 Oct 2007
There are some nice scenic shots, and Sly isn't the worst action star ever.
Rated 19 Nov 2007
action with muscles and rock climbing in a beautiful area with dumb terrorists.
Rated 23 Jun 2023
Pretty dumb. One liners and comically bad characterizations at times. Lithgow is even too far over the top.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Between Sylvester's acting and the riveting script, it's a wonder that this film didn't win the academy award.
Rated 30 Mar 2008
Sucker for Stallone movies. Even bad ones.
Rated 12 May 2008
not sure why I saw this film
Rated 17 Sep 2008
Total latterlig og dårlig lavet film. Mange løse ender og sjusket instruktørarbejde, mikset med dårligt skuespil... Den er så dårlig at et retro-kult-gensyn ikke engang har værdi.
Rated 20 Sep 2008
Rated 06 Jan 2023
pretty damn cheesy. Seeing it for first time in 2023, it's not what I'd hoped. super dated!
Rated 12 Jul 2018
B-
Rated 07 Dec 2008
Not the worst movie ever, but it really doesn't have much of a reason for existing either.
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Knock knock? Who's there? Cliffhanger? Cliffhanger who?
Rated 04 Jan 2009
Good ol' 90s action
Rated 17 Jan 2009
A-typical Stallone action flick.
Rated 01 Feb 2009
Ham Alert!
Rated 03 Mar 2009
not to crazy about sylvester in anything ese but rambo and rocky
Rated 27 Sep 2022
90s action movies aged really poorly due to all the cheesy moments and one liners, but if you're into them it's one of the better action flicks of its era. While the movie has an entertaining plot and some decent action, some of the scenes are just so soooo bad and I can't get over them. The final fight was pretty cool though, but Stallone had to ruin it by grunting so much and saying an awful one liner before going for the kill. Too bad.
Rated 02 Apr 2018
Come on, that opening act is one of the most memorable and emotionally impactful in all of cinema history. The first time you see it, it's totally devastating. Great character relationships, motivations, breathtaking setting, interesting action scenes, compelling plot, a good sense of humor. There are a few plot/logic holes and a few cheesy things here or there, but how could an action hero/thriller/mountain climbing/heist film not be a little cheesy here and there?
Rated 11 May 2009
looking at fellow critckerers ratings of this I'm baffled, just rewatched and I even considered upping the score - this is a very good action film.
Rated 23 May 2009
Just... It is not the kind of movie that I have interest.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Quite bold to take that name if you don't produce a "cliffhanger", but it does to some extent, luckily enough for them.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Exciting but ridiculous Stallone fare that passes the time effectively.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
When Sly sold out....
Rated 19 Mar 2022
It’s cheesy, but it’s got a few great scenes and some surprisingly good deaths. Bonus points for “No bullets bitch!”.
Rated 07 Aug 2009
CORNY AS HELL
Rated 23 Aug 2009
The movie itself is forgettable, but it has John Lithgow in it.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
Still a superior (and gorgeously shot) action movie up there with 'Die Hard' and Lethal Weapon 1 & 2.
Rated 14 Oct 2009
Okay Movie
Rated 16 Nov 2009
One of the best opening sequences in movie history. I almost left the theater with a panic attack it was so scary. Great action flick.
Rated 08 Jan 2018
Cliffhanger is above the average Die Hard rip off. Due to Sylvester Stallone's lead and John Lithgow's villain. These two play to their strengths in a film you'll probably watch one for the honest good time it has to offer and then forget about it a day later.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Every time this comes on I think it must be a made for TV movie, then every time I realize it wasn't I have a little chuckle.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
Third Rock from the Sun series finale takes weird dark turn.
Rated 21 Feb 2010
Haha, I used to LOVE this movie as a kid. You have to be young to be a perfect film critic, because you are impressionable, and so you see the film through the directors eyes. Now though, I'm jaded by years of good films, and simply refuse to acknowledge that I ever used to tell my friends that 'gravity's a bitch, ain't it?' after I pushed them off the swings in the playground. Happy times.
Rated 10 Apr 2010
Score based on distant memory.
Rated 24 Jul 2010
I suppose it's ok. This kind of over the top action isn't my thing, but I'll admit this one's reasonably well paced and exciting if you like that sort of thing.
Rated 05 Nov 2017
Passably distracting nonsense.
Rated 02 Sep 2010
#90s(l)#, popcorn, liked, rewatch(2) }*{ #90s(e)#, popcorn, story, S Stallone.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
So hilariously amazing at times. Its dreadful stuff but had me laughing.
Rated 25 Oct 2010
A rather common movie salvaged by some breathtaking mountain action.
Rated 27 Mar 2011
It's suppose to be an action picture, and it does deliver on that promise. But it's also a comedy of errors, with John Lithgow's Snidely Whiplash imitation leading the comedic charge. Add the ridiculously physics defying stunts and you have a somewhat campy, but shallowly entertaining film. If I could say one word to Renny Harlin before he made this film it would be this...HYPOTHERMIA!!! They're above the snowline and Stallone wears nothing but a T-shirt for most of the film.
Rated 10 Jan 2021
Viewed January 9, 2021.
Rated 21 Aug 2017
Silly mindless fun & a sentimental VHS favorite! Glad to see them reunite in GoG Vol 2 ;-) Not exactly Pacino & De Niro but.....
Rated 09 Apr 2012
I only saw this to fully appreciate the parody scene in Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls.
Rated 25 Jun 2012
I was pretty much expecting shit going into this, since this movie pretty much fell under the radar. It might be your typical cheesy 90s action movie, but if that's what you're looking for, it won't disappoint. You'll get lots of people falling off cliffs (some people doing so multiple times), explosions, an avalanche or two, impalement on rocks... Generally every kind of death you'd expect in a cliff-themed action movie. John Lithgow and Rex Linn are especially enjoyable villains.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Loved Lithgow's baddie and the beautiful scenery he chews on. Caught between eighties action and The Rock/Con-Air fun but falls short of both.
Rated 08 Aug 2012
Çocukluğumuzun efsanesi. Ne izlerdik Cine5'de be. :)
Rated 23 Aug 2020
Damn. This entire movie, just because Stallone and Rooker's characters didn't want to talk things through.
Rated 14 Jun 2020
could always use more lithgow but then, what couldn't ?
Rated 30 Aug 2013
The best part of this movie is the way Rex Linn says "God Damn!"
Rated 27 Jun 2014
Everyone you expect to die dies, and boy is it dramatic.
Rated 12 Aug 2014
A star vehicle that relies on awe-inspiring stunt work, two stunning early set pieces and a good cast of villains.
Rated 01 Jan 2017
The movie holds the viewers tight throughout. Sylvester Stallone is amazing from the first scene to till the end. Heroism is the idea of the movie.
Rated 20 Aug 2015
Gabe Walker (Sylvester Stallone) is a member of a mountain climbing rescue team. When one of his operations goes wrong and the girlfriend of his best friend, Hal Tucker (Michael Rooker), is killed, Gabe blames himself and leaves. Eight months later, after setting up a life in Denver, he returns to the mountains to persuade his lover, Jessie (Janine Turner), to come with him. While he's there, a call for help comes in and Gabe decides to become involved in one last rescue attempt. However, unknow
Rated 12 May 2016
This is both really stupid and really fun - both in a distinctly nineties way. If you enjoy Stallone or John Lithgow, this is definitely worth a watch, just don't expect it to be anything award-worthy.