Close-Encounters-of-the-Third

Ratings and reviews:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1977
Drama, Sci-fi
This is the film in which Spielberg portrays his own inner conflict through the character played by Dreyfuss: fantasising himself as a misunderstood artist, he is in fact a pathological conformist. Hence, after a set of conspiracy-type scenes in which he is pursued by apparently unscrupulous authorities, not only do they turn out to be benign, but Dreyfuss dons a patriotic uniform and becomes a kind of vanguard representative of the government. It is, in a sense, Spielberg's TANNHÄUSER.
Dreyfuss's character is one of the biggest assholes in movie history. He just ABANDONS his 3 kids and wife to go play in space and who knows how long he'll be gone. the little boy was gone for a few few days, then the pilots were gone for 30+ IT'S selfish and what do the government say to his family if anything "Oh he um died". Let's just say he comes back after the 30 years, his wife will be dead and his kids will be all messed up and broken, but he'll come back all: "AW NEAT YOU GUYS."
It's not a brilliant or insightful story, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and it's kinda corny. But it so perfectly awakens that childlike sense of awe and marvel. And the fact that the film manages to completely ignore the aliens for over an hour in the middle and yet still command your attention is a testament to Spielberg's storytelling skills (when he's working with the right material). After Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's perhaps his most captivating creation.
There's an alternate version of this movie where he just genuinely loves mashed potatoes.
While watching this film, I was struck by this feeling of mystery and discovery, which makes Close Encounters a more heartfelt movie than other sci-fi classics such as Kubrick's 2001. The movie does lack a good ending, but the rest of film makes up for it. Spielberg brings you closer to ufo's and aliens than any other director who has attempted to do the same, a fair reason why he's still one of the best in the business.
It leaves you with far more questions than answers and so many things are simply left unexplained. The special effects are honestly somewhat dated now but the movie completely succeeds in it's goal of creating a giant sense of child-like awe from the audience. Some say there's some Christian influence in the film but I honestly don't see any of it, even Spielberg himself said if it's in there it's not intentional as he is Jewish. It's a great film that invokes a genuine sense of curiousness.
I'm really having trouble trying to find something I liked about this movie. It's painfully boring and has a slow build that grows into one of the worst climaxes in cinematic history. Seriously, that was a really gay climax. Too many plot holes and continuity errors for me. Features one of the worst kiss scenes I've ever seen too. So unneeded an out of place. Gross. Also I love Truffaut but there was no reason he should've been in this movie. Incredibly overrated and frustrating.
Portrays a sense of awe and wonderment beautifully. Spielberg's themes of nonverbal communication mesh perfectly with the film's story, as nobody can quite explain the how or what of the situation but instead communicate with music, images and symbols. It's no wonder, then, that the two most awe-struck characters are Barry and the child-like Roy, who abandons his family for the mysterious extraterrestrials. Great thoughtful popcorn entertainment.
In the 70's aliens wanted to be our friends. Now they just wanna either disintegrate us, eat us or probe us. Disco be damned, I miss the 70's.
As the quintessential Boomer filmmaker, Spielberg understood both 50's sci-fi & the space race era's optimism. Here, he made a film that shows extraterrestrials not as invaders, but rather a benevolent force. The Oscar-winning cinematography lifts the drama, creating a visual story that's compelling even on mute. The psychological mystery is a little weak. And the hero returning at the end to a galactic ascension is saccharine. But if the latter is your jam you'll dig this picture.
Spielberg, please make more films like this.
we're introduced to dreyfuss extolling the virtues of PETER PAN to his agnostic family. soon, that family is long forgotten as he leaps into (or invents) an adventure that could only be the product of the silver screen (no coincidence that the triggers for this obsession are audiovisual). it plays as subversively in the jaded, ironic '10s as i imagine it did in the cynical, paranoid '70s, earnestly locating the face of god in the process of creating and consuming art.
The same joy and wonder directed toward the innocent child and the UFOs is shockingly absent in most of our human characters. I have always been distressed and sad after watching this film - Spielberg turns Drefyuss into a Real Boy by whisking him away, an escapism with hints of celestial suicide.
probably the most overrated spielberg film. the special effects and the cinematography are exceptionally good for its day, but the story seems to drag on for an eternity, and doesn't avail to anything satisfying in the end. except for the fact that extra-terrestials were into groovy jazz and gangsta signs.
If it is not his most accomplished and polished film, it is probably the one that people will look back on as quintessential vintage Spielberg. The Magic, the aliens, the broken homes, the distant fathers, and the gripping scenes of suspence. One particular effective scene is when the mother comes to the terrible realisation that her house is under alien attack, and her child commands his playmates to "Come in through the door!". This is for better or worse the godfather of 'The X-Files'.
Of Spielberg's earlier works, this is probably the most difficult to watch today. It just doesn't hold up well to repeat viewings. I still enjoy Jaws and E.T. because they get the human elements right. It's the journey of their discovery that makes them special. Not so much here. The protagonist, who is a complete jerk-off, is not someone you'd root for. Also, I do wish they'd have gone with a more menacing spaceship; the colorful goofy-looking saucers screamed kid's movie.
Generation X with flying saucers. More than anything, I always thought this film was about the breakup of a family. Why is Richard Dreyfuss so willing to completely abandon his wife and three kids? Because he has nothing else to live for? He wants more than a nice family, a house in suburbia and a comfy job working for the city? What does that say about the world he lives in? Maybe I'm over-thinking a fun popcorn flick, but I find it quite sad.
Spielberg challenges Demme and Scorsese. It's not one of the great concert movies, but Spielberg's "Yanni in concert" is undoubtedly visually impressive.
I loved this when it came out, but stepping back and revisiting it makes me wonder what I thought was so great about it. I thought it was engaging when I saw it some 30 years ago but it just does not hold up. There are a lot of perplexing events and many pot holes that hurt the suspension of disbelief. The acting is good and the theme engaging, but so much about this movie really should have been better.
That tall skinny alien near the end used to scare me nearly to death. It still weirds me out.
About the point at which Spielberg turned to syrupy goop.
In a broad sense, it portrays the events in a very believable way. The atmosphere of unsettlement (as opposed to outright hysteria) drives the movie really well. On the other hand, the individual characters are all easy to sympathize with. Richard Dreyfuss is awesome. Spielberg is also really good at building curiosity and a sense of wonder.
When I watch this I'm a kid again. Jurispathic, you're such a buzz-kill.
One of the lamest alien films ever. And the ending sucks so much... well but that's actually Spielberg's trademark.
The pacing of the film's first hour has occasionally been criticized, but I believe the pacing is perfect in order to adequately experience the frustrating tension and eventual awe that the film's final act delivers. Truffaut is a pleasant addition to a strong cast that adequately conveys the bizarre mix of emotions to be experienced in truly extraordinary circumstances. This, combined with Douglas Trumbull's amazing effects, ultimately creates one of the most hopeful films I have ever seen.