2006
Documentary
The film chronicles the development of the illegal drug trade in Miami during the 1970s and 1980s with interviews of both law enforcement and organized crime leaders, in addition to news footage from the era.

2006
Documentary

Rated 15 Feb 2016
A good documentary about US drug runners supplying dealers with Columbia drugs in the 70's. It details the high number of murders associated with the drug trade, & the bosses responsible. Unfortunately, it also highlights the rampant corruption & inept law enforcement. It was sickening to see the many contributors along with cold blooded murderers who had killed dozens of people, get prison sentences that put them back on the streets. Hundreds of millions of dollars just evaporated? Sheesh!
Rated 18 Apr 2012
Get ready to meet the scariest woman who has ever lived.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
Great source of information in regards to Miami's drug related history and how it has affected the city's image, population and economy. Not ground breaking by any real means but still quite informative and a worthwhile watch.
Rated 07 Apr 2013
Must watch for all who like/love Scarface and other mafia movies. Turns out the truth was even worse than fiction. Great documentary about Miami's extremely violent past and how it flourished from it. Riveting.
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Great Flick...you want to the the real "Scarface" take a look @ Cocaine Cowboys...Collection of unbelievable ( but true ) facts.
Rated 28 Jul 2014
Interesting and informative, but overly long.
Rated 23 Jun 2012
Best episode of Miami Vice EVER.
Rated 26 Jan 2008
Very intriguing, but probably overstates its case a bit. Watch in conjunction with Scarface.
Rated 20 Oct 2008
Wicked documentary about the coke trade in Miami back in the late 70s and early 80s. Now I know where Scarface got its inspiration from, what a violent era and I wanted to know more about The Godmother, queen of the cocaine trade...she should have an entire movie to herself with those wild stories...This is a definitely worth a look.
Rated 22 Feb 2015
Informative and interesting pretty much the whole way through, which is saying something for a doc that's two and a half hours.
Rated 17 Mar 2009
The movie's fast pace fits the content well, but even so it starts to drag a bit near the end. Moderately unbelievable, but strongly recommended to fans of Scarface, Goodfellas, etc.
Rated 03 May 2014
It's not the strongest documentary making, but the story is straight out of Hollywood. Drugs, guns, bad guys, guts and glory. The people themselves and their stories are riveting in itself.
Rated 18 Mar 2021
Starts off a bit slow, by the 30 minute mark I was hooked. Then the documentary decides to cover some of the most insane people to ever run the drug trade in Miami. What a documentary.
Rated 23 Jul 2010
It's ok and entertaining for awhile but then it just becomes a couple of guys bragging about what they did and loses sight of itself.
Rated 26 Aug 2013
Awesome docu about the rise of the cocaine trade in south east US, mainly Florida, and how it practically built the entire city of miami. And man, Griselda Blanco is one crazy bitch!
Rated 05 Oct 2010
Wasn't as impressed with this documentary as I had hoped. The music made me feel like i was back in the 80's, but maybe that was the point of it. I found it interesting how this whole business helped to make Miami flourish, and wish they had focused more on that end of it. It would have been cool if they could have pulled one of the main characters from the whole time period as opposed to talking to mostly just smaller plays involved in the trade. Like the Godmother.
Rated 01 May 2010
Right up there with my favorites in the documentary genre, though it certainly could have been less than 2 hours long.
Rated 02 Jul 2015
The interviews are the best thing in this documentary because they feel very raw and real, the story is also interesting, but the storytelling is not very consistent. Anyway this is a very good piece of interview documentary.
Rated 25 Feb 2011
Astounding, sad, disgusting, and amazing. Keeps your attention throughout with multiple different viewpoints and stories that are all interesting in different ways. It won't have as much punch if you're already familiar with Miami's story, or the cocaine trade, but it's an excellent documentary. The music is a little cheesy, but it's the 70s/80s for chrissakes.
Rated 20 Jun 2010
Interesting and fascinating in a weird way. Man that Godmother woman is twisted
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Holy shit these people are insane.
Rated 31 Oct 2010
"Cocaine Cowboys' in-the-moment kicks are, after the lights come up, apt to leave one with something of an ashamed and remorseful hangover." - Nick Schager
Rated 24 Sep 2009
Good docu.
Rated 16 May 2009
Good Documentary
Rated 22 Nov 2011
Chilling account of events that occurred in Miami (which I had no knowledge of), but I just couldn't get into it. I found all the interviews interesting, their stories eerie, but something didn't click with me.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
Worth it for the two line cheeseball cameo by Stephen Tyler
Rated 17 Jun 2012
Engrossing, entertaining doc about the emergence of the cocaine market in Miami and how it shaped the city we know today. Those being interviewed certainly are raconteurs, weaving great anecdotes about their experiences of the time, and you can even smell the bullshit coming through the screen when they're twisting their stories to cover themselves. Not a must-see but definitely worthy of your time.
Rated 26 Jul 2014
I have to say, I had a blast watching this. It puts Miami Vice in a very interesting perspective.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
Very informative. Over all the film gives a very concise overview how the drugbarons took control over Miami and literally built the place. Then they started fighting between each other and hell broke loose. The action is hard packed. Huge editing and short clips. In the same minute you can hear several persons speaking. Often this technique bothered me - especially in the beginning - and didn't work very well but it helped keep the pace going which also suited the film very well.
Rated 06 Jul 2009
The subject matter is fascinating, too much so to fail even with the quick, flashy editing style trying.
Rated 24 Dec 2014
It is a very relevant alarm bell that Miami was so inundated with cash from cocaine deals that it was totally shielded from a national recession. If only it were legal and regulated, perhaps the prosperity never would've had to end...
Rated 21 Feb 2016
Well made documentary describing how crime and money changed Miami rapidly in about a decade between 1975 and 1985. A must for Miami Vice fans.
Rated 02 May 2020
this documentary ruined fictionalized movies about the drug trade and how they romanticized it all. Billy corben isn't innocent in that regard either but this is a more real look at it than scarface