Control
Control-2007

Control

2007
Drama, Biography
A profile of Ian Curtis (Riley), the enigmatic singer of Joy Division whose personal, professional, and romantic troubles led him to commit suicide at the age of 23. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV
VUDU Free
Plex
Freevee
Plex Player

Pretty entertaining for a biography about a singer that didn't show much sign of life on stage, except when he was having a seizure. This review went south quick.
By about the scene where Ian's son is born, and he heads outside to have a smoke, looking like a broken man, I was a believer in Sam Riley. It's a convincing performance, as far as I'm concerned. Nice job, Mr. Corbijn.
Control stays intentionally subtle for most of the part filling the emotional justification with the songs themselves.
Riley, for all intents and purposes, IS Curtis. The resemblance is startling, and the performance is ALMOST as good. Corbijn's directing, so you know it's going to look great (it does), and you can't beat a soundtrack with this kind of source material. But I still found it a little lacking in some areas. The portrayal of Curtis just wasn't sympathetic enough; instead, I felt terrible for his wife. So you're left with just as many questions about him, and his last days, as you had coming in.
Corbijn's choice of moody, stark black and white photography is highly appropriate. And Riley is a dead ringer for Ian Curtis in looks and mannerisms, if not quite there in his voice. But the proceedings rarely elevate above your standard biopic. I couldn't help thinking of 24 Hour Party People, a far superior movie. Maybe, despite the amazing music he created, Curtis just isn't interesting enough to carry a 2-hour film by himself. I never felt like I was truly getting an inside look at him.