Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke

1967
Crime

Rated 15 Jun 2010
When I saw this as a kid, I wanted to 1. go to prison and join a chain gang and 2.eat eggs till I vomited. So far I've only accomplished one of those.
Rated 15 Mar 2008
It's all about the Paul Newman smile flashback at the end.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
What a great movie with Paul Newman. For me it's the best prison-drama and some scenes are really funny like the sexy carwash-girl. Super awesome !
Rated 14 Jan 2019
The male bonding is out of control here, if you think Top Gun's beach volleyball was erotic wait until you see a sweaty George Kennedy pop fifty hard-boiled eggs into Paul Newman's mouth, and then find someone who looks at you the way George Kennedy looks at Paul Newman when he's stuffing fifty hard-boiled eggs into his mouth,
Rated 11 Jun 2020
An anti-authority metaphor that I'm sure not just hippies loved. Typical for its time & all the decades that would follow, it presents a bunch of criminals in the most sympathetic light possible by never letting us see any crime other than Luke's drunken vandalism. But like other classic films of its time, its not as simple as it looks - the insights into prison life are unique & the authority figures aren't sadistic, just draconian & indifferent. Best of all: you have no idea how it will end.
Rated 18 Jan 2008
This movie is pretty brilliant. Taking full advantage of Newman's considerable charisma, it is a story of martyrdom and what it does to person to be put up on a pedestal and admired by people and the pressure their expectations put on him. Because, after all, very few men can eat fifty eggs!
Rated 17 Oct 2008
Superb film with incredible performances from everyone, with special (and let's face it obvious) note of Paul Newman as Luke. The Christ allegories aren't laid on too think but are still there if you pay even a remote amount of attention. An excellent story of someone who simply refuses to conform and accept what is expected of them.
Rated 12 Mar 2010
Cool Hand Luke is a real masterpiece. Everything is absolutely authentic and original. The soundtrack, the characters, the many memorable quotes (check out the song "civil war" by Guns and Roses for example), and what can I say about Paul Newman?I Can't find the words. The eggs scene, the "work race scene", well, many great moments, and beyond it all, this movie is comedy, religion, determination and human's both good and bad nature...
Rated 25 Mar 2007
There is something about prison movies that I just love to death. This one is no different. Paul Newman is incredible.
The character of Cool Hand Luke was brilliant enough before Paul Newman, but when Newman took on the role, he was perfect. As a man who refuses to conform to society, or anything else thrown at him, Luke makes for all kinds of humor, bravado, and tragedy. The film itself is moving and beautifully crafted and a joy to watch every time. Awesome!
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Moving, heartbreaking, perfectly-acted, classic film. You'll never see a hard-boiled egg, a parking meter, or a road crew the same way again.
Rated 29 Aug 2010
Anyone don't like this movie spends a night in the box. I've yet to see Newman's full acting filmography, but I don't think I'd be hasty in my judgment if I called this his best, most engrossing role. Despite being a convict (for dumb reasons), Luke emits charm with his non-conformist living-in-the-moment attitude. We empathize with his search for life's purpose, in a world where he's been elevated to Christ-like status among other convicts, and where God has been replaced by human authority.
Rated 16 Sep 2011
Engaging and atmospheric. Luke is an interesting character wonderfully brought to life by Newman. It's both exhilarating to see him try to beat the system since it's the only thing he knows how to do, but saddening to see the system push back, harder each time. While the rest of the cast isn't allowed much depth, there are no weak performances. That egg eating scene had more suspense than most recent thrillers I've seen.
Rated 30 Jun 2007
This is all about Newman's central performance, and he pulls it out beautifully. It's a character piece in a punishing setting. It doesn't hold much back, and it can be difficult. It's worth it.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
I loved this movie for reasons I can't explain, but I'll try. The characters in this film are intriguing and incredibly portrayed by the cast.
Rated 08 May 2015
A suicidal cynic that wont stay down on the terms of another agent, when everyone around him already has, achieves the status of tragic hero because of it. Analytic to the concept of individualism within the contradictory rigid rule system it perpetuates instead of the intended other way around via the existential structuring by which Newman seemingly creates himself a vaccuum--something those surrounding him vicariously jump out of Plato's cave for, synthetic in proving the emptiness of it all.
Rated 18 May 2008
Paul Newman achieves perfection, one fantastic prison film.
Rated 02 Aug 2008
Paul Newman > everybody and everything
Rated 11 Feb 2009
A tragic film about a man refusing conformity. I love how it messes with me, starts me rooting for Luke to "stick it to the man" only to have that feeling slowly develop into me hoping, nay pleading, that Luke will just do his damn time.
Rated 06 Nov 2009
One of the better prison movies. Newman is awesome as per usual.
Rated 14 Apr 2012
Newman carries the film almost entirely with his charisma alone, fighting an unbending, fascistic regime with little more than buckets of charm and a winning smile. It's an iconic, thought-provoking film, but on first viewing it seemed somewhat rough around the edges, with choppy editing and a few scenes that seemed a little out of place (the carwash scene, for one). Would make a nice double bill with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Rated 22 Nov 2017
"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand." But this movie gives so much more than nothing. It fills you up like if you've eaten 50 eggs.
Rated 31 Aug 2021
After watching this, I looked up to see if eating 50 hard-boiled eggs was possible. Turns out, Joey Chestnut has the record of eating 141 hard-boiled eggs in 8 minutes. It's too bad Paul Newman never got to see that.
Rated 14 Apr 2007
I don't see what the big deal is about this movie. The title character seems less like a rebel than a dumbass
The prototypical badass antihero. I'll bet Vin Diesel would throw up after 6 eggs. Oh, and George Kennedy won an Oscar! Overheard on the set of Naked Gun: OJ- "I won a Heisman Trophy, jackass!" GK-"Yeah well so did Gino Torreta. I won an Oscar, Orenthal!" OJ-"Yeah, you and Reese Witherspoon!"
Rated 15 Dec 2019
Nobody can eat 50 eggs.
Rated 30 Apr 2013
Amazing performance from Paul Newman as a trouble-maker and amazing supporting performances and an awesome story really elevate this. This is all around a really well-made movie. It's dated but very captivating and short. It's in my top ten movies. If you haven't seen this you should.
An outstanding movie that just makes me smile. George Kennedy is the man. I really want to explain why I love it so much, but I feel like if I went into it, I'd spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.
Rated 03 Sep 2017
Again this film proves that Paul Newman was one of the finest, greatest and coolest actors this world has ever seen.
Rated 20 Sep 2007
One of the best movies you can ever see
Rated 19 Jun 2015
I watched Cool Hand Luke for one reason; Paul Newman. It ended with great satisfaction and even much more admiring Newman as an actor. He is so gentleman, cool, and seems like he will never out of fashion. Cool Hand Luke as a movie, is good movie, with heart-warming story about Luke who has trouble in his life. Luke is so pathetic as a man, but he is funny and cool at the same time. This movie is more about life lesson than jailbreak. I do really enjoy this classic.
Rated 21 Nov 2007
One of the greatest movies of all time. Paul Newman is the perfect cast and this is what good movies are all about.
Rated 04 Apr 2008
Reminded me alot of Five Easy Pieces, both filled with complex characters trying to find their place in society, and portrayed exceedingly well, in this case by Paul Newman. Combined with a bit of Escape from Alcatraz and you've got a damn fine prison film.
Rated 07 Feb 2013
Huge cast. Performances were great, but this movie is low budget and the story is quite pathetic. A man defined by his stubborn refusal to conform, turns a 2 year prison sentence into a death sentence. Even after being warned that the next time he attempts to escape he will be killed, runs again. The lesson here is that you can make friends by being stubborn as a mule, but your life will spiral down if you are just a little too stupid. The ending felt rushed and incomplete.
Rated 14 Aug 2008
A personal favorite. Newman portrays the most likable character of all time. He is the underdog who is empathized with on any social spectrum, and his refusal to sell his soul always gives the proper inspiration.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
A film of quality. Perhaps the weak point is that it is not a movie so much fun to watch. The theme of the film is more complex than it seems, is not just a film about the life and escape from prison. A film that represents people who simply do not conform with the oppression.
Rated 17 Oct 2008
Enjoyable on the lowest level possible, I guess.
Rated 29 Oct 2008
Holds up, even 40 years after it was made. Presents a simple concept in a simple manner, and lets the viewers be carried away by the compelling story and deep characters.
Rated 28 Oct 2009
Luke is a fantastic character, and the whole chain gang prison thing is really well done, but all too familiar. Definitely overrated, but certainly well made. Paul Newman is great, and all the inmates and guards are all around great as well, though it seems I did not appreciate Cool Hand Luke to the extent of the 95% who adored it, I still found it to be a great film.
Rated 18 Oct 2017
Good movie. Newman was great, as were the supporting characters, and the story was absorbing. It rode a successful line: tense, but not alienatingly tense. And Luke was a rebel, but not to an annoying degree. However, there were often hints of something deeper or allegorical which never really meshed for me. In all, this is admittedly not fully my type of story, but I appreciate it nonetheless. Side note, it was a bit weird watching Ralph "Pa Walton" Waite as a very different character.
Rated 25 Jul 2013
"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand"
Rated 10 Mar 2010
Paul Newman's the man.
Rated 31 Mar 2023
It was alright. I always remember Baby Fishmouth, the villain. That was his name, even if the script never acknowledges it.
Rated 31 Jul 2010
He's like Christ, if Christ hated you for your sins.
Rated 27 Nov 2020
Paul Newman smiled his way into my heart
Rated 27 Mar 2011
God damn, the New Hollywood was so awesome. This and The Graduate came out in the same year, each rightfully considered classics, and it's crazy to think that neither film could have been made even 2 or 3 years prior. It's both shocking and wonderful to see Paul Newman in the rain telling us that God doesn't exist, or the unnecessary cruelty of the guards after his mother dies. It's shocking today, let alone in the late 1960s. Basically, this film shattered my wildest expectations.
Rated 27 Jun 2011
Luke is a real person, one of those types that many of us have known at least once in our lives. You marvel both at their coolness and at the effortlessness with which they pull it off. He's admired without ever asking to be admired. Newman's Luke is also troubled and lost and immediately gains our sympathy. I felt genuine disappointment every time his escapes failed. Great performances by Newman and all the supporting cast, and beautiful cinematography by Conrad Hall. Wonderful movie.
Newman has many memorable performances, but I venture to say this may be his best. He alone carries this film, a harsh criticism of the rural prison system, and gives the film both incredibly fun and incredibly sad moments.
Rated 21 Jan 2007
Mostly well done, with a good performance by the lead, but just a little too manipulative of the emotions of the audience.
Rated 13 Feb 2007
Classic.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Could have been much better with a better supporting cast.
Rated 27 Jan 2017
luke gülüşü :(
Rated 08 Jul 2007
Newman keeps us interested enough, despite the plodding pace to endure the film to the very end. And the end makes it all worth it. A grueling movie to watch, but after it's over it seems amazing in retrospect.
Paul Newman at peak coolness...eating 50 eggs.
Another egg, please.
Rated 25 Jun 2016
Cool Paul Newman. Nice story. Even with some flaws.
Rated 03 Jun 2012
Would have been perfect without the church scene at the end. I wasn't seeking an explanation as to why Luke is Luke and the scene contradicts with the aura of the rest of the movie.
hard-boiled classic!
Saw it too long ago to remember anything but the key/famous scenes, but what I remember was great stuff.
Rated 23 Jun 2019
A-
Rated 17 Oct 2007
gotta see this it's a classic
Rated 26 Oct 2007
A great classic movie.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
A really aMAZing film. Paul Newman is incredible and super hot. The story is wonderful. Dennis Hopper is creepy. Overall, I love it! Seeing it in the theatre was a wonderful experience. Share
Rated 14 May 2019
It would be nice if not so binary between the cool handsome rebel war-hero caught-for-a-misdemeanor Luke and the coward fickle sheepish caught-for-manslaughter prisoners. Still very enjoyable if you raise your ideological shield.
Rated 29 Feb 2008
For some odd reason I've only seen this movie once, but I dug the hell out of it. One of these days when I'm on a drunken payday Best Buy run, I'll pick up the dvd and relive all of its Paul Newman-y goodness.
Rated 02 Apr 2008
Two words: Paul Newman
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Darn Good.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Newman is great and the story is quite good and surprisingly deep, but the movie suffers a bit from odd directing choices and a dragging end.
Rated 06 May 2019
Paul Newman being handsome and worshiped by sweaty prisoner dudes. Almost Genet or "Billy Budd"-esque, lmao.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
M:75/100 S:82/100 Mike: A bit heavy handed with the religious imagery and the savior and martyr concepts, but another good movie from before filmmakers forgot about careful construction, realism, and subtlety. Sophia: Arty cinematography. No failure to communicate.
Rated 18 Jan 2009
Dig it.
Rated 09 Mar 2015
Cool Hand Luke is one of the most iconic films of all time and it features yet another quintessential performance from the great Paul Newman. Cool Hand Luke is such an iconic & like-able character and he is perfectly brought to life by Paul Newman. Rightly or wrongly, you sympathize and root for a man who is trying to beat the system and who isn't willing to conform or sell his soul. From the stellar performances and script to the incredible direction, Cool Hand Luke is an undoubted classic.
Rated 27 Dec 2012
A great anti-authoritarian film, featuring a very good sense of humour mixed with religious parable ideas and themes. Paul Newman obviously steals the show but the film is also full of great bit parts and supporting roles which create a good sense of friendship, camaraderie and when appropriate, animosity between the cast. Lalo Schifrin's score is also atypical, providing a laid back and somewhat melancholic tone to what could otherwise be a simple prison drama.
Rated 16 May 2012
What we have here is a failure to communicate! What a great, classic movie. Paul Newman, Harry Dean Stanton and Dennis Hopper were great in this. Some favorite moments: the training for the egg eating contest, the multiple escapes and the famous quotes. I haven't seen many Newman movies but this movie makes me want to watch more. This guy is a genius. If you haven't seen this movie you should, don't be afraid that it's an older movie. It's just a wonderful classic!
Rated 30 Jun 2009
Too depressing for me. Paul Newman is wonderful as always but I couldn't help but hate this film.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Good acting saves a hit-and-miss plot.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
very Good Movie
Rated 11 May 2024
Just such a good, multi-faceted movie. Great cast all around, including a little role from one of my favorites, Harry Dean Stanton. I was entertained enough just watching a bunch of prisoners interact, but of course, Luke's antics just made it all that more interesting. Religious themes are abound and also this whole resistance against authority -thing. Looks beautiful. Watched it in 4K and I was continously amazed by the cinematography and the colors here.
Rated 09 Feb 2015
Unfortunately, it's been proven that many people can eat much more than fifty eggs.
Rated 25 Oct 2012
Paul Newman is amazing at playing the badguy you learn to love :). The 'boxing scene' with George Kennedy and the egg eating scene are just unforgettable. I really wanted him to escape in the end.. but well, never underestimate the guy with the aviator sunglasses ;-)
Rated 05 Nov 2009
classic
Rated 12 Nov 2009
There's really only one character in this movie with everyone else revolving around him, and Newman does a fantastic job in the role. The story is decent, it doesn't bring much new to the table, but it executes very well.
Rated 14 Jun 2023
I think what this movie taught me was that if you're stubborn enough, you can eat 50 eggs in an hour while incarcerated. A bit nihilistic: usually, a character study has someone learn something; not here. There are a lot of great supporting characters that fizzle out (including Pa Walton); I guess when you get a montage of Newman's smiles, nothing else matters.
Rated 01 Apr 2020
1. ogled (2020/03/31)
Rated 16 Apr 2012
old
Rated 23 Jan 2010
yeahhhh well...
Rated 28 Sep 2018
Such a masterful performance by Paul Newman and the rest of the cast. Newman does carry this film though, and he forces you to care, through sheer talent, about what is happening on screen.
Rated 06 Jun 2020
A film very much of its time, and often not in a good way as it jars with the viewer. A movie about the individual standing up to the (corrupt etc.) system, which is a message explored in many films and for good reason; it's important. Newman is very likeable as Luke, and I was surprised how much I cared for him by the end of the film. Too many eggs!
Rated 20 Aug 2010
The main character is of the more interesting (if obvious) Christ figures in film history. It drags in places but the overall story is good. It's also a good window into George Kennedy's versatility. It's worth watching once, but doesn't have a lot of rewatch value.
Rated 05 Nov 2021
How have I not seen this until now? So much good to describe, so many familiar faces, so many familiar lines. The car wash!
Rated 03 Jul 2018
First half is a good hangout movie, second half gets a little heavy-handed and actorly. I mean, let's be honest, the biggest star on that set was behind the lens.
Rated 24 Feb 2014
egg
Rated 16 Jan 2011
An iconic classic that everyone should watch at least once. Newman is amazing, but that's no surprise. I rarely feel for a character as much as I felt for Luke throughout watching this. You love him for giving an "eff you" to authority, but you really just want him to conform because you know he is headed for trouble. Great film.
Rated 05 Apr 2011
hapishane, firar, rekor denemesi, ateizm
Rated 31 Jan 2014
egg monster
Rated 09 Jan 2014
2x
Rated 12 Oct 2011
Cool movie that's somewhat similar to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Paul Newman is really great in this prison drama which contains a lot of memorable (and mostly funny) scenes. I especially love the '50 eggs' scene.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
Paul Newman makes for a really unforgettable character, and it's generally a very good prison movie, but I think Newman was what carried it more than anything.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#489
Rated 24 Aug 2021
?? ?????? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ???????? ?? ????? ?? ???? ? ????? ??? ?? ????? ???? ??????..