Delicatessen

Delicatessen

1991
Romance

Rated 23 Sep 2008
Charming, and incredibly wacky, drives home the idea that if you don't have a big budget you should at least have a big imagination.
Rated 14 Jul 2013
This film has good visuals but it's empty and has no substance, its more like a bunch of barely connected short films than a cohesive whole. I tend not to like too many French films as I find them to be all styles and visuals and no substance or story. So I try all of the films that people tend to love, but this film, like most of the others, affirm my belief instead of change my mind.
Rated 13 Dec 2011
The exact brand of ineffectual quirkiness that I can't stand. It has good visuals and an original premise, but it's completely superficial. I don't care about any of these characters and find them all grating. Plus the humor is all but non-existent. Maybe it's trying too hard and that's what makes it annoying, but as it stands it feels like a film Terry Gilliam would make on a bad day. And why is everyone fucking screaming?
Rated 11 Nov 2008
it's screwy, futuristic, retro and entertaining all at once. I think it represents the Brazil factor -- if you liked that, you'll like this.
Some superfluous nonsense, but it's all good as long as you can get into the spirit of the thing. Gorgeous, imaginative visuals as usual with Jeunet.
Rated 02 Oct 2008
Very bizzare and fun black comedy. You have to be in a certain mood to like this film and appreciate it.
Rated 30 Sep 2010
Another classic case of style over substance. Lame.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
Very nice black movie that cannot put into a proper genre, it's really difficult. The humor is really special, not for everybody, but definitely something for fans of movies by i.e. Terry Gilliam.
A fucked up fantasy/dark comedy about some weird future/alternate reality where people are struggling to survive through a massive food shortage. In a world where corn is currency, people will do just about anything for a slab of meat. Really impressive visually, this movie had a definite influence on Del Toro, as well as all the early Tool videos (the stop-motion animated ones).
Rated 06 Jul 2010
I don't know, while I really appreciate the setting and the mood of the whole film, I didn't really enjoy it; it was still too predictable for me, and while it certainly is a work of an artist, it didn't build enough tension to grip me on. Kudos to camera work and character depth though.
Rated 14 Dec 2008
I didn't get the point of this movie
Rated 15 Oct 2008
"Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy" Need I say more? Pierre Jeunet is a genius and this film is positively hilarious. I never expected to laugh at failed suicides so much. Brilliant!
Well, I like it, but I couldn't quite get into it. I mean, on the one hand I enjoyed the weirdness of it all and it was often very funny, but on the other hand I just couldn't bring myself to really care about any of it. It's strange, considering the film's similarities to favorites of mine such as Brazil, that I couldn't lose myself more in the film, but there you go. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.
Rated 02 Oct 2009
Such a strange and strangely warm movie filled with heart all over, sometimes too eerie, sometimes too interesting, sometimes plain ugly, but oh such a great atmosphere throughout. I really enjoyed it and loved the suicidal women, she made me laugh a lot..
Rated 10 Mar 2009
I really like the optic, some scenes are so awesome ( the aerial scene on the roof for example ) Jeunet found a great way to combine weird situations with great and pleasent characters.
Rated 24 Nov 2009
It's hard to imagine that such a crazy premise could work, but Delicatessen is a delicious stew of dark comedy, oddball characters and creepy environments. It all comes together nicely in a wonderful finale. The oppressive orange filter might get annoying after a while, though.
Rated 15 Jun 2012
Should have watched this long ago. Not as grand in scope as it's sister film, "City of Lost Children", but still beautifully filmed and delightfully wry. Wickedly funny in spots, tender and moving in others.
Rated 26 Jun 2012
If there's a more attractive man than Dominique Pinon, I don't want to know about him.
Rated 27 Jul 2013
I totally hated the whole atmosphere from the beginning this movie looks so dirty it's no fun. The characters are unnatural and I never really cared for them.
Rated 09 Sep 2009
"Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy"? I have nothing to add. perfect :)
Rated 03 Oct 2014
The finest of french dark humor. Set in a very unique kinda-post-apocalyptic universe, this movie has several creepy, weird, confusing, and seemingly unrelated plotlines that all get together for a grand finale. Jeunet and Caro have a style of their own that nobody ever managed to get close to replicating. Highly recommended.
Rated 22 Jun 2018
DELICATESSEN is a quirky wind-up toy of a movie, wearing playful anarchy as a badge of honor. It stands out even among the ranks of visually bespoke films as particularly obsessed with archaic contraptions and confabulations, sometimes to the detriment of the story itself. But even that's fine, as long as Jeunet finds inventive ways to entertain us at his darkly comic circus.
Rated 22 Nov 2012
Pretty excellent throughout. It's so bizarre and comically violent with a terrific setting realized very well. This may sound hyperbolic or unnecessary in praising it but it fully immerses the audience into the world it has put forth. Well done and while some characters get lost in the shuffle or are almost faceless, it's engaging throughout.
Rated 08 Jul 2011
Starts off oddly, but quickly gains momentum and comes to a satisfying climax. Never really laugh out loud funny, but still very funny. Great use of imagination to overcome a low budget.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
Its visuals are excellent, its situations are bizzare, and all the characters are somehow memorable, even if we don't spend that much time with them. Its dark humor is on par with Gilliam's best work (the most enjoyable attempted suicide and funniest sex scene of all time are great examples). Perhaps not as emotionally overwhelming as Brazil, but in other regards, it ranks among the best post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedies ever made.
Rated 04 Apr 2008
At times absolutely hilarious, at others touching, and always bizarre and most of all very, very French. A fun little movie.
Rated 04 Aug 2011
I recently re-watched this after falling asleep during my first viewing. Not to reiterate my initial stance, but consciously watching this proved to be more of a chore than simply trying to stay awake. While the atmosphere and cinematography was a treat, the story, characters and humor were quite agonizing. Not to mention the overt quirkiness of the film was extraordinarily dreadful. Overall this is just another example of Jeunet's "style over substance" direction resulting in a dull experience.
Rated 24 Apr 2007
ha ha oh wow
Rated 05 Jun 2012
A very strange movie, which is part of the reason I liked it.
Rated 22 Apr 2016
For a movie about eating people, Delicatessen is a surprisingly intimate comedy with a small cast, taking place almost entirely inside a single apartment building. Chock-full of eccentric, entertaining characters, the story takes a while to get going but builds nicely to a satisfying climax. Jean-Pierre Jeunet's direction contributes to the quirky, ultra-French style of the film without getting in the way too much.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
A pretty neat little foreign film. Mostly comedic, a little sad, and a bit scary at times. Definitely worth a watch.
Rated 01 Aug 2016
Jeunet's visual homage to Gilliam is on point. His narrative and humour, not as much. This charming piece of cult cinema is not only memorable for stylistic strangeness, but also its for its characters, who are as odd as you would expect and just as endearing. Pinon est magnifique. Dougnac plays a necessary timidness and humanity to the larger than life surroundings. And Viard brings a sultry class to balance it all out. There are moments both funny and scary but it did all come together for me.
Rated 03 Dec 2014
(2nd viewing, 1st:90)
Rated 27 Feb 2008
ger; in einem mietshaus werden aufgrund von nahrungsknappheit die abstrusen bewohner zu kannibalen
Rated 07 Jan 2015
A charmingly bizarre black comedy, subtly establishing a bleak apocalyptic world while never letting it bog down the story.
Rated 03 Aug 2015
"Genres: Romance, Comedy, Drama, Sci-fi." Yeap! That says a lot.
Rated 31 Mar 2009
Fun and atmospheric; some would call this a dark comedy (weasel words), but I'd call it a light comedy tinged with horror. As always with Renoir and Caro the art direction, cinemetography, and casting are superb. A great spin on the apocalyptic sci-fi film.
Rated 07 Oct 2020
a film with strange characterisation that fuelled a lot of my nightmares as a child
Rated 24 Nov 2008
Black comedy? But it wasnt funny! Was OK, but wouldnt go mad for it.
Rated 29 Oct 2007
The Brothers Grimm meet Mad Max. Wonderfully detailed film starring Dominique Pinon, who Americans like me may recognize as the wheelchair-bound spaceship mechanic from the fourth Alien movie (Resurrection). Absolutely worth your time, if for no other reason than as an antidote to formulaic Hollywood garbage.
Rated 16 Apr 2009
This was amazing on the big screen but last I looked the dvd did not include the full scope width, which destroys the highly pictorial experience. A full letterbox is essential.
Rated 05 Feb 2012
This isn't a gross-out comedy... it's a dystopic comedy about extreme eccentrics.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Really gross but a pretty good movie for a horror movie
Rated 22 Dec 2009
This is strange, it might be about kapitalism, or maybe just eating meat, or maybe its not about anything
Rated 18 Sep 2020
Almost didn't watch this, because I didn't like Amelie, but honestly this is way better. Starts off very slow, but the last half definitely makes up for it. All of the exterior shots are amazing.
Rated 26 May 2021
Delicatessen is a genuine delight. While the movie suffers from jeunet and caro's early inexperience, the core idea, or "l'esprit" as the French put it, is obviously there. the absurd surrealism, and the caricature-like characters propel this film in a league of its own. some budgetary limitations are obvious from the low-brow production, but the performance, but most of all, "the look" of the exquisite cast make up for the shortcomings. yummy all around.
Rated 12 Mar 2017
some interesting characters.. but to weird for me overall
Rated 08 Jun 2007
Fun black comedy, but a little too unsettling for my liking. Great imagination and a unique story, but lacks the heart of Jeunet's later films.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
Fantastic! Looking forward to watch The City of Lost Children.
Rated 03 Jun 2011
"Serves up a stew that seem to be made of a little of everything from one hundred years of screen comedy, seasoned with Grand Guignol."
Rated 14 Sep 2020
This movie is fine. Recommendable for the photography and a couple of funny/interesting moments. Think of a post-apocalyptic Amélie. But all in all, I found it a bit boring.
Rated 26 Sep 2011
Good looking cinematography, set design and costumes, but not much story-wise. It seems the only purpose of the film is to weird the fuck out of you, and it succeeds at that in flying colors. Imagine bizarre post-apocalyptic circus number - watch this movie and compare how close you were.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
7+ highly recommended
Rated 05 Jul 2011
This is only my second Jeunet film, so I'm assuming this type of visual style is the norm for him. Which isn't bad, not at all. It's one of those styles where you will always be able to tell it's a Jeunet film. I like musical saws, and there was a lot of weirdness and surrealism. The visual style adds this 'other worldly' feel to it, which makes sense considering what the movie's about. Post-apocalyptic? Goood. Surrealist black comedy? Goood. Cannibalism? Gooood. (Friends reference, I know).
Rated 06 Aug 2020
I just love Jeunet's style. Every time the Butcher's daughter gets frightened and/or the wide-angle lens distorts facial features, I laugh. But style can't replace missing substance. Can't help but feel like the plot was merely an excuse to make the film.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
They need meat what else is the butcher to do.
Rated 17 Dec 2010
It's a Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy, how can I love it :)
Rated 13 Oct 2012
apartman, kasap, yamyamlik, insan avi, palyaço, kasap ciragi, babasini sevmeyen kiz, baba-kiz, insan kesen kasap, basarisiz intihar tesebbüsleri, absürt komedi, ot yiyen yer alti örgütü, (sari ve kahrengi tonlari, karanlik ve puslu görüntü, sinemada renk)
Rated 11 Jan 2021
It does seem like a low budget movie but the dark atmosphere with each and every character bringing something odd really makes the movie watchable. I laughed out loud surprisingly many times. Really reminded me of The City of Lost Children, then I saw the directors also did it. Absurd, brutal, entertaining, beautiful, depressing, uplifting.
Great looking overrated picture that has little to offer psychcologically/emotionally.
Rated 15 May 2008
I would like to have dinner with Jean-Pierre Jeunet. But not here.
Rated 03 Dec 2006
I understand the appeal of the movie, but I prefer not to mix laughter and cannibalism...unless it is Cannibal: The Musical, which is a completely different mixture.
Rated 02 Dec 2010
"Delicatessen uses its aggressive stylization and capricious visual contraptions as a form of imprisonment." - Paul Schrodt
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Surreal black comedy, interesting and funny, great sets and costumes.
Rated 28 Feb 2009
"...an epic ode to that most fundamental expression of human endeavor -- creativity."
Rated 05 Mar 2008
innovative
Rated 16 Aug 2012
I had an idea for a dark comedy short film where a guy tries to unsuccessfully kill himself numerous times. Later I saw this movie and was slightly disheartened at the fact that my idea had been done (and better than I could ever do it). Luckily it also introduced me to one of my favorite directors and gave me an even greater appreciation of this movie.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Jeunet is fantastic, I rank this right up there with Amelie.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Cool little movie from a very cool director.
Rated 23 Dec 2009
The first 40 miutes are truly boring, it's just a bunch of weird scenes after the other but the last hour more than makes up for it. An original, entertaining if emotionally uninvolving surrealistic show. If you're into these kind of films or Jeunet in general, you should definitely check it out.
Rated 02 Apr 2011
More heart then City of Lost Children, Delicatessen revels in its unique, quirky characters and its downplayed, simple dystopian setting. Dominique Pinon gives a spectacular performance. So many visual details are crammed into each frame, it's just a wonderment of a film.
Rated 04 Jul 2013
Pretty weird stuff.
Rated 06 Jul 2008
I love this film! The visuals, the characters, the story--incredible! What a tale!
Rated 09 Apr 2008
Jeunet et Caro - magnifique!
Rated 09 Dec 2023
Weirdly funny in a morbid way. Borderline goofy, but a nice story despite the eccentricity.
Rated 17 Feb 2019
To call it "bizarre" is an understatement. The story does make sense, in a way, but the characters are simply... unrealistically weird (for comedic effect, of course). It's a bit of a drag to watch, but it has it's moments.
Rated 26 Oct 2016
I can't seem to find a way into this film emotionally. The comedy doesn't hit as hard as it should, and the characters are so outsized (typical of Jeunet) that the whole thing works more at the level of the idea, rather than the personal. Visually, the film is striking, and the bizarre turns of the story work quite well. I appreciate the way the film interrogates humanity in its post-apocalyptic context--will we see something recognizably human, or is life really just about survival at any cost?
Rated 03 Nov 2008
The distinct Jeunet-Caro visual style alone is enough to make this movie worth watching but the rest is good too.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
This is one of those movies you could almost watch with the sound off and still enjoy the incredible visuals. Very Gilliam-esque. Quite an enjoyable movie.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
Beautifully bizarre images.
Rated 10 Oct 2010
Slow to start off but still it hits its stride and becomes an entertaining feature. 'Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy about the landlord of an apartment building who creates cannibalistic meals for his odd tenants.' Its almost as if it was made for me.
Rated 11 Jan 2022
it's well made and i enjoyed its aesthetic + style, but it just didn't completely work for me
Rated 17 Jan 2019
This one felt uneven. There are some cool ideas obviously and it's got a recognizable style with the costumes, the close ups and all that, but I wasn't sure that the directors knew what they wanted with all that stuff. A lot happens in the last act but I couldn't care less.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
Great tone and characters. I love the ways these Jeunet and Caro set their movies in ambiguous and timeless places.
Rated 13 Nov 2019
S
Rated 28 Apr 2013
Darkly comic full of bizarre characters and very visual but no depth.
Rated 11 Jul 2011
Synopses of this film seem to want to push the cannibal element, but that's not really the focus at all. It's more a series of fun episodes, some especially unexpected ones, about a bunch of weirdos. Jeunet creates an inspired world to become immersed in.
Rated 28 Dec 2017
Fantastik hikayelerin kralı!
Rated 19 Dec 2021
Very yellow and very wholesome for an apocalyptic reality where people eat people :D One of the few straight couple that were so awkward and charming to actually make me like them
Rated 18 Nov 2020
Comically Grotesque in the worst way. Disgustingly French. Goofy. I hated this movie.
Rated 23 Sep 2011
French. a battle between a clown and buther, joy and realism... a love story.
Rated 13 Nov 2014
Dark and cute oddball romance with personal fairytale style. Whimsical and frivolous in a way I'd expect from Jeunet and Caro but the drama is solid enough to support all those crazy creative flings. Very charming and memorable but not overwhelmingly impressive.
Rated 11 Jan 2016
It did not work for me. I had a few laughs, but everything seemed too disconnected for me to piece together.
Rated 12 Jun 2009
Rated 17 Nov 2021
Just too grim for my liking.
Rated 06 Aug 2021
8?????????
Rated 15 Jun 2012
I truly dislike this film, partly, yes, because my dislike was faced with the praise of so many. In general the work of Jeunet and Caro makes use of nominally 'imaginative' visuals to pretentiously decorate their banalities and cliches. To me, they are in very broadly the same category as Luc Besson. Which is not a compliment.
Rated 29 Jun 2012
Artistically fantastic, fantastically artistic. The perfect film to watch sleep-deprived at 3 AM.
Rated 03 Mar 2015
Hilarious, pitch-black French comedy. If that sounds like something that's up your alley, this definitely is.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
A dark, imaginative, dystopian comedy with a lot of interesting things going on. Not quite as good as City of Lost Children, but well worth seeing.