Criticker.com - Film & TV Recommendations and Community
profile
0 rankings

Detroit Metal City (2008)

Your Rating
500 characters left

Summary: Detroit Metal City (デトロイト・メタル・シティ, Detroit Metal City) is a 2008 Japanese movie based on a Kiminori Wakasugi manga and directed by Toshio Lee. The story involves a normal guy named Soichi who becomes the lead singer of a death metal band after failing to become a Swedish-pop style star. (idmb)

Genre: Drama

Country: Japan

Directed By: Toshio Lee

Written By: Kiminori Wakasugi, Mika Omori

Starring: Ken'ichi Matsuyama, Yasuko Matsuyuki, Ryƻji Akiyama, Rosa Kato, Yoshihiko Hosoda, Ryo Kato

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Detroit Metal City belongs to 3 collections
1. Based On Manga (public: moderated by whatismyname - 6 stars)
2. Live Action - based on anime/manga (public: moderated by whatismyname - 2 stars)
3. Ignored Films (your private collection) | remove from collection

Browse the full list of collections
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
ManInBlack ManInBlack
7T7
nechbet nechbet
86T8
Although I give my soul to Krauser in anime series,but this was quite enjoyable as well :D SATSUGAI.
Sweekoden Sweekoden
81T9
DMC's premise is absolutely hilarious. If handled correctly, it could make for a legitimate comedy gem, and, after rewatching this, I'd say that might actually be the case here. This live action adaptation is surprisingly faithful and watchable, but it does have its fair share of flaws: those uninitiated will no doubt be left scratching their heads on more than one occasion. And where's the Pig of Capitalism?! But it is funny. Really, really funny.
Iconoclast Iconoclast
57T4
whatismyname whatismyname
65T7
The first half was forgettable, plain and simple. They tried to cram too many episodes from the anime. The second half was what you'd expect from this live-action film. To really get the full experience, the anime is a must watch. Only then does this go from an alright film to a good flick.
Ayame_dono Ayame-dono
azalin azalin
81T4
CinematicESP CinematicESP
82T6
The ending doesn't make much sense, but otherwise pretty hilarious.
Onderhond
miread miread
88T8
TheDenizen TheDenizen
65T6
A dweeb who only wants to play sugary pop songs somehow becomes the lead singer for DMC, a Satanic black metal band, and struggles to reconcile his two personalities in this bizarre Japanese comedy. It's admittedly very funny seeing a dude in a glittery cape, armor and corpse paint sobbing like a girl on a busy Tokyo sidewalk. The set up is all pretty good, but it drags disappointingly through the finale (which features a guitar duel against Gene Simmons).
envywine
99T10
astrakhan astrakhan
69T2
Essentially a one-joke movie, with enough mileage for a good opening 15 minutes, but runs out of gas pretty quickly thereafter. The concept of a nerdy weakling living a double life as a death metal demon was funny and fresh, but they failed to take it anywhere interesting, and just settled for sitcom-level rom-com awkwardness. On the plus side the performances were all quite spirited - I particularly liked the deranged abusive band manager. Watching it all felt like a waste of my time though.
zerothh
70T8
chemical404 chemical404
29T2
Too faithful to manga to be good. Over the top characters work in anime or manga, but in live action they are awkward. It could have used a good script too. Situations that were so hilarious in anime/manga aren't so funny in live action, and that thin string of 'follow your dreams' meaning isn't strong enough to hold this movie.
lostinlodos
70T5
avgcrtckr avgcrtckr
53T5
snallygaster snallygaster
36T3
Actually quite funny; the humour is much more successful than in most films of this ilk, even if it doesn't totally escape the pitfalls of the genre. (I haven't read the manga or seen the anime). I'm thinking whatever they paid Gene Simmons (who I didn't even recognize) for his cameo might have been better spent elsewhere.
Hopscotch Hopscotch
roujin roujin
40T3
ribcage ribcage
80T8
Not really a great movie but it hit the spot for goofy zany bonkers comedy. Everyone gives an over the top performance that sold me on it. Never saw the anime but this has convinced me to check it out. I rarely laugh out loud watching movies alone but i did to this one.
Vmfs