Die Hard: With a Vengeance

Die Hard: With a Vengeance

1995
Crime

Rated 25 Jan 2007
I think we ought to clarify our terms here. Is this about a "die-hard" who is in possession of a vengeance? Or is the title an admonition that the reader -- you and me -- die in a manner that can be described as "hard, with a vengeance"? Or maybe what we actually have here is the unlikely pairing of a hard die and a vengeance? Shockingly, the movie fails to answer these questions.
Rated 29 Mar 2021
Finally we find out that Die Hard doesn’t need Christmas or Carl Winslow. Willis and Jackson have that Lemmon/Matthau chemistry and it is magic - McClaaaaaaaaaaane! I sometimes have a recurring nightmare where I’m presented two water jugs.
Rated 28 Mar 2008
Better than the second? Worse than the second? I'd say they're about the same. Die Hard 3 manages to differentiate it from the first and stand out on it's own as an enjoyable action movie. I think one of it's major accomplishments is Samuel L. Jackson as McClane's sidekick, he's not a super-cop like McClane is, but he doesn't drag down the movie at all. In fact I felt he really added to it. No small feat as so many action sequels introduce a sidekick that just sucks. Good action flick.
Rated 25 Nov 2009
Really? Anoth... oh wait, this is the amusing one. NYC and Sammy J saved this. Big time.
Rated 10 Sep 2007
An entertaining action flick that works well when you get past the usual action movie trappings. The dynamic between Willis and Jackson, and occasionally Jeremy Irons, is the best part of the film, and its a good thing the movie does a good job of focusing on it.
Rated 31 Dec 2015
(rewatch) Among the greatest sequels ever made. This movie wastes no time and immediately jumps head first into the action. They take the concept from the original and expanded it from being in just a building to an entire city and it works beautifully. There's some hilarious references to Trump and Hillary in this as well. And the friendship that develops between Jackson/Willis is great and you have to love Willis telling Jackson to stfu with his race baiting bullshit. Great film
Rated 27 Dec 2020
I'm just tired.
Rated 10 Apr 2011
Sam Jackson pairs well with Bruce Willis. Jeremy Irons is a great villain. Not as good as the first but much better than #2.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Another Gruber? WTF? and his real motive wasn't revenge, but money? But it was also revenge, even though he thought his brother was an asshole? Irons plays an adequate villain, capable as his movie brother, and the fact that it was filmed in NYC made it a little extra special being from the area.
Rated 26 Sep 2009
Making no concessions whatsoever to realism (or reality), and possessing at least a modicum of a sense of humour, this movie begins promisingly enough for its type, before, unsurprisingly, wearing thin and losing steam. By the final third, I was barely paying attention.
Rated 31 Mar 2007
Bruce Willis's urban wiseguy persona is getting old, but Samuel L. Jackson singlehandedly saves the movie
Rated 21 May 2009
At least they stopped ruining his Christmas.
This is by far the better sequel. Willis and Jackson are a great couple, and Irons is one of the best scenery-chewers ever.
Rated 07 Feb 2012
Doesn't really have the charm, action, or badguys to keep up with the other Die Hards. Still worth a watch just for Samuel L Jackson being his usual vulgar-ass self.
Rated 05 Aug 2008
A really fun action flick. Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson have good chemistry, and it might be the funniest Die Hard. The action is more sprawling. Taking it to the streets of NYC was a good idea.
Rated 23 Apr 2023
fake snow got too expensive? :-(
A few stand-out scenes, but large chunks of it are forgettable.
Rated 10 Dec 2013
So he gets onto an elevator with one, two, three, four guys and there is no escape. And as he slowly realizes that he is in trouble, you think, "He can't get out of this. They've written themselves into a corner." Then, without hesitation, he gets himself out of it. It's almost "Taken"-esque, in that when he finds the guy who took his daughter you think, "Okay, now you can come back when you're not outnumbered and surrounded and get this guy," but instead he just kills everybody on the spot.
Not nearly as bad as I remembered it being.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
In Die Hard 3 John McClane (Bruce Willis) teams up with a black guy (Samuel L. Jackson) who almost saved his life, to get rid of a terrorist causing havoc in NYC. Willis offers the usual action humor while Jackson is often the more interesting character of the two. There's some lovely action here and I found the film in general quite enjoyable, but it lacks the depth and engagement of Die Hard 1 where the confined space of the high rise building kept the viewer locked in together with McClane.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Entertaining movie
Rated 06 Jan 2010
FBI guy: "So, McClane - can you think of any Germans that might have a grudge against you for any reason?" McClane: "Hmm.......Nope, can't think of any". FBI guy: "Hey, what about that guy you threw off a building a couple years back? Wasn't he German?" McClane: "Oh yeah. I forgot all about that". This scene sums up Die Hard: With A Vengeance in a nutshell.
Rated 28 Feb 2017
Darker than ever, thanks to some super high stakes (see the school bomb) and what feels like the biggest and bloodiest bad guy body count yet. The former offers some great moments of drama (see the "fire drill" at the school) but the latter makes it a little harder to swallow the triumphant "let him burn" and "yippie-kai-yay" at the end. For the most part though, Willis' dry wit ("attention! Nils is dead!") and action heroics continue to entertain, and Jackson proves to be an enjoyable sidekick.
Rated 28 Feb 2008
Good mix of action and comedy.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Meh
Rated 05 Aug 2009
the best of the trilogy in my opinion
Rated 18 Oct 2007
yippee kayya mutha
Rated 27 Sep 2009
As sequels go, I enjoyed this one almost as much as the original. Yippee-Kay-Yay!
Rated 27 Dec 2020
Entertaining movie. Samuel L Jackson adds a lot to the entertainment value of the movie. Convoluted plot, too many superhero moments, but I guess I should have gotten used to it by now since it's the third movie in the franchise. The references to Trump and Hillary Clinton sure aged poorly, those moments were two big yikes. Much better than II, lacks the novelty factor of I.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
a beautiful and demanding action
Rated 23 Feb 2010
All Die Hards are great if you're in the mood for an action comedy
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Big, dumb and running at you like an over-affectionate labrador, which is a good thing if you like dogs.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
A chance to see Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis play off of each other in a good action flick.
Rated 29 Nov 2011
Die Hard with a Vengeance is a pretty good film, one that ends up being a good sequel to the spectacular Die Hard. It has wit, charm, charismatic characters and fun action scenes. It also has another great villain from Jeremy Irons. The plot is where it starts to get weak, thanks to typical action movie clichés, but it's still a fun ride that you'll probably enjoy if you liked the first Die Hard.
Rated 20 Oct 2007
You really have to suspend any sense of reality & logic to enjoy this film, but once you do that, its as much fun as you can reasonably hope to have at the movies. Jeremy Irons & his villianous crew, for all intent and purposes makes this film worth watching.
Rated 16 Jul 2013
I enjoyed it. Not as tight and complete as the first one, but it worked a lot better than the 2nd. It was a bit ridiculous and over the top but it was a fun ride. The villain was good, and partnering up McClane with Sam Jackson was a good move.
Rated 05 Oct 2009
The best Die Hard, I think. Jeremy Irons is just a badass, as is Bruce Willis. It's much more intelligent than the previous two, and it's great to throw on after not having seen it in a while, and try and beat them through the puzzles.
Rated 06 Jul 2008
The brilliant Jeremy Irons channels the Riddler with a German accent! Sam Jackson rules. It ties everything to the first one while still becoming its own unique movie rather than re-hashing. Amazingly entertaining.
Rated 27 Nov 2011
Stupid, some badass shit.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
Awesome movie from beginning to end. I haven't seen Live Free or Die Hard yet, but this is my favorite of the series.
Rated 19 Mar 2021
Die Hard: With a Vengeance is my Die Hard movie. I had never seen any of the movies in this series until I watched this movie. I love it through-and-through. I've since watched all of the original trilogy and while the first one is good this one is better. Irons as the bad guy is cool and severe. Jackson plays a regular guy that should not be underestimated. The trademark Jackson yell is present throughout this movie. I can watch this movie again and again and I have. It's a perfect action movie
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Great banter. Poor ending.
Rated 27 Dec 2018
2018-12-27: 70
Rated 23 Jul 2009
The brother of a former nemesis is back to reap his vengeance on John McClaine(and Zews), through a game of simon says through the streets of NY. Adrenalin fueled action.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
One of my favorite movies growing up and still as entertaining as ever.
It was good enough that I remember watching watching it, and I saw it a long time ago. Good old Bruce Willis, he's so badass.
Kinda sad that a previously solid action series is reduced to watching Bruce Willis figure out rudimentary logic puzzles. This flick has just enough star power to make it worth a watch.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
This is a great movie that shakes up the format of the first two movies.
Rated 17 Nov 2007
Love, love Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons, & Samuel L. Jackson. Good example of an action movie & I really love how there are average civilians used in cool ways all the way through.
Rated 10 Jul 2008
I just absolutely love this one! It's fast-paced, has excellent actors and does not rely only on explosions and gunfights. It's quite a thrill-ride, almost up there with the first one.
Rated 27 Sep 2013
I'll have to watch it again but I remember it being so, so and Jeremy Irons making an utterly unconvincing and accidentally rather camp villian
Rated 01 Mar 2016
Easily the best Die Hard sequel, most of the best stuff in this film is in the first hour where Willis and Jackson engage in hilarious racial tensions and race around New York solving Jigsaw-esque puzzles by Irons, who is doing this simply as a diversion while he robs a bank of its fucking gold bars. Pretty ridiculous shit, like the other Die Hard sequels, but it still features really fun acting and writing, along with some rather ballsy scenes (especially the one in Harlem).
Rated 30 Sep 2009
McClaine is supercool!
Rated 10 Mar 2015
Much better than the previous Die Hard installment. What Die Hard 2 lacked in excitement and fun, Vengeance brought back in Full Throttle. Though I love Irons, he was no Hans Greuber and unfortunately and the tenseness from the original is gone as well. Yet it is still a lot of fun and Willis and Jackson are badass. Pretty great mindless action flick.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Superior to the second film, there isn't a lot special going on here. Just a fun action film with good chemistry between the leads.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
the BEST die hard.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
Good action, humor, and twists. Seriously. Sam Jackson is terrific in a sort of straight-man role chasing to reach deadlines with Bruce. The ending is a little weak, but this installment is easily superior to the second film.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
Doesn't live up to the first film, but it's plenty of fun.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Classic action pic, Sam Jackson provides superb comedic relief. Not quite as good as the first installment, but pretty solid.
Rated 17 Apr 2021
"Think fast. Look alive. Die hard." In a public place in New York, an explosion takes place, claimed by a man who calls himself Simon and only wants to talk to John McClane. McClane is a heavily alcoholic cop who no longer has his badge, but only when he carries out Simon's orders will the explosions stop.
Rated 04 Jan 2008
Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Irons elevate what could have been another shitty Die Hard sequel into a great New York action movie.
HAHAHAH.
For the first 90 minutes it's a perfect action movie. The ending drags a bit by twisting and turning when it should just end.
Rated 20 Aug 2010
Better than the second, not as good as the first.
Rated 30 Dec 2007
This movie never gets old.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
Only topped by the first installation of this series. Willis and Jackson are a natural team.
Rated 21 Nov 2012
Feels like a movie that came from another universe where white people are a persecuted minority and black people are uptight stuffed-shirts who just don't "get it". Also uses an old logic puzzle to fill time for some goddamned reason.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
An average action movie.
Rated 10 May 2014
Simon says... read this review. Well, honestly I don't care what Simon has to say. This movie was quite a bit of fun. I liked Jeremy Irons as the riddle/bomb making bad guy. Bruce Willis returns to being a lot more funny in this one after his very serious role in Die Hard 2. Samuel L. Jackson also added a lot, mostly in a good way. I must say I didn't like the race war going on between Jackson and Willis. I'm not sure if they were trying to be funny...
Rated 19 Aug 2009
This continued what I believe to be a good Quadrillogy (I liked Live Free and Die Hard, thankyouverymuch)
Rated 07 Jul 2012
Not as good as the first one but Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson make a good team. Plus not having it set during Christmas was a welcome change.
Rated 31 Aug 2017
McTiernan returns for the 3rd installment, and his deft use of space and skillful tracking of movement across New York City's streets and underground subways is truly noteworthy, elevating it above its rather humdrum script which wastes the talent of Iron's in an underwritten role and establishes a throwaway link to Hans Gruber. Willis and Jackson have excellent chemistry, and their verbal barbs are amusing, while McTiernan expertly ratches up the tension until the seemingly rushed finale.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
not very memorable
Rated 24 Feb 2008
One of my favourite movies. Action, a good story, the actors are great, ...
Rated 15 Feb 2009
weak.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
The second best in the series, the third and final in the series. It is exactly what you expect from the series and delivers the same high octane action as the original two.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Rated 11 Aug 2010
#00s(e)#, liked, rewatch(2) }*{ #90s#, story, 'pt 1-2', B.Willis!, SL.Jackson.
Rated 21 Jun 2011
I love the characters. I love the premise. I love the action. I love the dialogue. I love the villain. I love the actors. I love the humor. I hate the ending. One of my major movie pet peeves is when the ending feels like it belongs in a different film, as though the writer couldn't think of a climax that tied into the rest of the story, so he/she just plucked the last 15 pages from another script with a better finale. After Bruce and Sam board the boat it becomes a different, less awesome film.
Rated 14 Nov 2011
It's kinda messy and occasionally preposterous, but so is Die Hard. It's also a ton of fun, and the insane effort put into filming on location in NYC is hugely admirable.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Action packed from start to finish. Great movie!
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Definitely not the high point of the franchise, nonetheless DHWAV is still a serviceable action film.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
A fully-functional action sequel with returning director John McTiernan of the first Die Hard. Samuel L. Jackson's teaming with Bruce Willis works as an absolutely inspired addition to this installment. Great fun.
Rated 24 Nov 2018
Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis are a great team, but this starts to feel tedious after a bit. It's connections to the franchise are tacky and forced. The action scenes are exhilarating as ever, but the film doesn't do much to justify its existence.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
Die Hard With a Vengeance is regarded by many as the second best Die Hard film. I think the return of Director John McTeirnan recaptures certain elements that made the original so successful. Bruce Willis this time has a sidekick in the form of Samuel L Jackson and faces off against Jeremy Irons. The chemistry between the trio works well and adds comic relief. The violence and bad language isn't affected by the lower age rating and bar a weak ending, this is the best of the Die Hard sequels.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Another great action sequel for the Die Hard series. It provides plenty of everything you'd expect from a Die Hard movie, although it takes some fresh turns for the series provided by the subtle change to more car-based action and the role of Jackson as Zeus. Typically good, fun and improbable action movie stuff.
Rated 28 Dec 2018
Jeremy Irons is good but not Alen Rickman great. Still movie as a whole is great and worth watching.
Rated 11 Jan 2008
Which die hard film is this ? It's not the best of the pack but far from the worse. Played for laughs at times and some good suspence - Not a bad action film for a rainy evening.
Rated 14 Apr 2008
NOT A BAD DIE HARD YET BUT no more PLEASE....DONT KILL THIS GREAT SAGA PLEASE
Rated 04 Apr 2013
it's ok... that's all
Rated 27 Dec 2014
Loved the first one. The first sequel was barely OK, and they went down fast after that.
Rated 07 Jul 2010
Like most Diehards, this one is a great watch.
A fun, action movie whose pacing is near perfect.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
Underrated as hell, at least as good as Die Hard 1.
Rated 04 Jun 2010
okay
Rated 13 Jul 2007
Better than the second, this Die Hard proves that old dogs can learn new tricks (or do old tricks just as well as before). Great performance (well, as good as you get in an action flick) by SL Jackson as John McClane's unlucky side kick.
Rated 24 Jan 2007
John McClane is back in this triumph over the second film. Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Irons add to the fun of the action with their great performances.
Rated 24 Jun 2023
Way better than the second and the fourth part of the series, a lot worse than the first part. Still quite funny to watch.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
Probably the second best film in the series, though Jeremy Irons' character is a shell of his character's brother, Hans Gruber.
Rated 15 Jun 2012