Doctor Strange

2016
Sci-fi
Fantasy

Rated 21 Nov 2016
Too busy with hand-holding the audience and being blandly relatable to really become anything refreshing. Benedict is fine, but the sense of buildup is so generic and vague that any progress for Strange feels unearned. I disliked how mundane the magic felt in this; powerful wielders of the arcane mainly make smoke spears or sparkly circles. I was hoping for more "by the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" but mostly got [Protagonist-Man gains Quirky Cloak of Plot Armor +1].
Rated 04 Nov 2016
More doctored than strange. The CGI sorcerers conjure some of the coolest looking and least practical magic ever - we can fold a city in on itself to slow a guy down in a chase sequence but can't just cast a sleep spell on him. The message about fear of failure restricting greatness seems in direct opposition to what the studio ordered - a safe tone with too many pop references and laugh lines, bound to the proven formula. One gets the sense of being trapped in an origin story time loop.
Rated 25 Oct 2016
Take Gregory House and the world of Harry Potter, add in the visuals of Inception and you get Doctor Strange. Inventive kaleidoscopic effects and overall a well-made film but I didn't get into the story. The Ancient One played by Tilda Swinton was surprisingly entertaining and yet again the villain of a Marvel film doesn't stand out which is a shame. The final action scene wasn't the usual laser into the sky and fighting hundreds of anonymous bad guys. Worth seeing for the imaginative visuals.
Rated 10 May 2017
The newest character in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is certainly s...standard. Despite all the world bending effects, never has the "Marvel Studios" formula seemed more apparent. The movie has parallels with "Ant-Man"(2015), by using a new CGI visual palate and humor to cover-up a painfully basic superhero origin story of a weird new character. Although the puzzling visuals were impressive, the comedy may be the weakest seen in "MCU" yet. This blockbuster fun is style over substance.
Rated 06 Nov 2016
Marvel's most out-there movie to date, but it might also be their funniest. The writing, acting, and effects are all top-notch and form a surprisingly strong and cohesive whole. Great fun.
Rated 25 Oct 2016
Doctor Strange is a well executed origin story and a welcome addition to the MCU. The story is serviceable but the brisk pacing quickly establishes the characters and all of the necessary world building. Benedict Cumberbatch is perfectly cast and the supporting cast impress also. Visually this is a spectacular experience and the set pieces are truly staggering. Maybe the best use of 3D yet. Credit must go to the studio for taking a gamble with the source material and making it work so well.
Rated 01 Nov 2016
Gloriously fun, family friendly, light entertainment. Comparable to Antman for its sense of silliness, absurdity, inventiveness and thrilling visuals. Is it light-weight? Heck yeah - it's made so that all the kids in the audience can cackle at the fun (and they did). If we accept it for what it is - light entertainment meant to delight and surprise international audiences and families - then it may well be one of the best in its class.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
Sometimes Marvel cuts the nuts off their villains with unnecessary attempts at comedy (because heaven forbid they're too serious) that briefly break my immersion, and this isn't overly funny, but the Doctor is awesome, the story is fine, the visuals are outstanding and the environmental manipulation makes for truly exciting action. Marvel formula, but with magic.
Rated 27 Oct 2016
Getting told origin stories torn from the same (less and less magic) cloth over and over is one thing, but it certainly doesn't help matters when the superhero the movie is introducing is an arrogant and really unfunny douchebag. Rachel McAdams (and her performance) deserves much better.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
One of my favorite origin stories in the MCU. It serves as a really solid character study more than a big superhero movie, lead by an excellent Benedict Cumberbatch who captures Strange really well. Visual effects are amazing for the most part, and I loved that confrontation with the villain. Less humor would have felt a little more natural and less hampered, but it wasn't entirely harmful at times. Thoroughly entertaining and well paced too. All in all, I found this to be a solid movie.
Rated 05 Nov 2016
Objectively a perfectly fine superhero film, but one burdened by narrative fatigue and a sense of its own growing importance to a massive franchise that is Too Big Too Fail. It aims for greatness - Strange's introduction to multiple dimensions is justifiably Tripping the Balls Fantastic - but it loses steam in the middle, masking its story deficiencies with humor. It's all worthwhile entertainment, though, with the good Doctor doing as much as he's allowed to bring some magic back to the MCU.
Rated 14 Nov 2016
Pedestrian and by now numbingly by-the-numbers origin story, that tries to bring some sort of believability to a concept developed in the sixties when eastern mysticism was hot and LSD was considered mind-expanding. I'd still recommend it though, given its extremely inventive use of visual effects, handfull of great set-pieces, light tone and fine (although mostly underutilized) cast.
Rated 25 Oct 2016
The Good: Inception parkour! The Bad: Almost everything else The Ugly: Annoyingly bad jokes.
Rated 16 Apr 2017
Another entry in the "couldn't care less"-cabinet, but whoever still expects anything of import to happen, that's not simply setting up the next mcu-brainfart, might need treatment at the trusty old jitterhands of doctor eggs benedict. So at least we get some nice visuals and the patented marvel oneliners while that all too familiar feeling of getting nowhere sinks in.
Rated 04 Jun 2017
One of the worst remakes ever. Lost literally all of the subtext of the original. Mr. Cumberbatch, you are no Peter Sellers.
Rated 05 Nov 2016
The selfish Westerner who goes off to Asia & learns a lesson about what really matters is a tale we've all seen many times before, which makes this narrative particularly predictable - with the equally expected changes for the sake of diversity. It also detracts from feeling what's allegedly at stake. There's a plethora of morphing CGI landscapes, but they rarely excite more than your eyes. W/ so many actors of such high caliber it's hard not to think their talents would be better used elsewhere
Rated 25 Oct 2016
Pretty visuals, mediocre story. Kaleidoscope the movie. This entry only serves to introduce Strange to the MCU. Watchable, even enjoyable, but perhaps not the most memorable movie.
Rated 27 Jan 2017
I like that it's less of a superhero saves the world story and more of a character study, even if it's still ultimately a superhero saves the world story and the character study is unoriginal. It also has nice visuals and fun fights even if they don't always makes sense. Basically it's a marvel film but less in your face about being a marvel film, and slightly more thematically consistent, which makes it a bit better than most.
Rated 03 Jun 2017
Like the worst kind of secondhand store, this film is cluttered yet empty: every one of the multitude of flashy, colourful items inside--the shop window displays romance, mysticism, third way pacifism, quantum mechanics, character development, superheroics, infinity theory, martial arts, and hospital drama--is cheap and unable to stand up to a moment of scrutiny.
Rated 03 Oct 2017
Found itself caught up in a confused moral about doing good things for questionable reasons, and questionable things for good reasons. The film can't make up its mind on an interesting angle, so became more spectacle than substance.
Rated 26 Jan 2017
For all it's cliches and corny moments this movie manages to keep a good pacing and generally a lot of interest. This is probably what batman begins should have been.
Rated 31 Oct 2016
I'm kind of a Marvel fiend from my childhood and I need to see one of these every now and then. That said, this one was particularly good. Visually it is very creative ( downright mind blowing here and there), the characters are cheeky and fun and overall they handle the all magic lalala pretty well. One thing is for sure, Marvel is great with finding the right actors for its characters. Cumberbatch looks like he is created to be Dr. Strange.
Rated 18 Jun 2017
One big problem with most movies where people fight with magic is that usually they just summon mundane things to bash each other with or shoot spells at each other like bullets. It seems like creators have a distinct lack of creativity. This movie is not immune to that problems but it has Inception city twisties and an ending solved not by fighting, so that's nice. Also, the pacing feels weird.I feel like people would have enjoyed a much stranger Dr. Strange movie.
Rated 29 Oct 2016
Excellent effects, I just hope they flesh Strange out more in future editions.
Rated 10 Nov 2016
Best Marvel movie so far. Really entertaining, good mix of comedy and action elements. Feels like they're really starting to nail the formula. The special effects push it past excellence - honestly, by a fair margin the best, most intense and effective special effects work I've ever seen. Spectacular.
Rated 02 Nov 2016
That this wasn't hot garbage is anything short of a Marvel!
Rated 05 Nov 2016
Coolhowhefindsoutshedrawsfromdarkdimensiontobeeternal. It had a lot of boredom. Bad humour. Action I didnt care about. Philosophy i'm too familiar with to care about unless you handle it in a more intriguing way, especially while learning it watched again. 44 last time lol. The played out basic bitch shit didnt bother me as much. The martial arts stuff was cooler this time, monkey magic, and love MM end. strangelameish. christine meh. ancient one astral moment. mordo nice opinion
Rated 04 Nov 2016
A cynic would say it rips off "The Matrix" and "Inception", but it's another good Marvel movie. A tasty blend of action and humour. Fun time at the movies.
Rated 17 Nov 2016
You know the drill. A smartly-cast group of stock characters confront an existential threat with noble determination and a generous dollop of wit. A standout special effects scene highlights the hero's powers in a cool way. The protagonist learns an important personal lesson in time to vanquish the threat. About a third is already a commercial for the films to come. Lather, rinse, repeat, Marvel.
Rated 24 Jul 2019
?Great visuals ?Benedict & Tilda good as always at spikey, odd characters believably & charismatic portrayed despite personality flaws. ?Origin story fatigue setting in | --- Crazy busy ? - hope to fill in review (in detail) when have time. For now just score & maybe notes. Hope everyone is well & watching good stuff ?
Rated 06 Mar 2017
Another solid MCU entry. Splumberpotch is a nice piece of casting and the whole thing rips along at good pace. The second act detailing Strange's transformation from surgeon to sorcerer is significantly underdeveloped, as is the villain. Nonetheless it manages to present magic and sorcery relatively well within the confines of an already existing universe. The story is old hat, but it's good fun and looks very fine.
Rated 08 Nov 2016
'Dr. Strange' falls for nearly all the pitfalls of the tried and true Marvel formula: weak characters, familiar plot, hit-and-miss humor, etc. But, the faults can be forgiven thanks to incredibly creative visual effects, and some of the most inspired action set pieces in the MCU to date.
Rated 01 Nov 2016
Feels bit rushed at times and could have used bit more story development on some parts, I wouldnt mind if movie was stretched for, lets say, another 30mins. Acting wise and visually movie is fantastic. All in all solid movie, perfect for cinema watching due to stunning visuals.
Rated 26 Dec 2016
Apparently Dr. Strange is an even bigger asshole than Tony Stark. This has some good DMT hallucination type special effects bogged down by needless exposition. I didn't expect this to be a surrealist experimental film or anything but a bit more cerebral substance other than CGI magic effects would have been nice. I'm sorry fanboys but Tilda Swinton also looked goofball..John Wayne as Genghis Khan levels of silly. Overall it's not bad but found this to be goofier overall than other marvel films.
Rated 27 Oct 2016
So, this is Marvel's take on soul and spirit? Makes me feel truly dead inside. The Inception rip-off action scenes were (for a Marvel film) kept tight and almost never over-long, though.
Mediocre Marvel.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
A fun blast. It owes more than a bit to both The Matrix and Inception. Like both of those you follow a protagonist who learns that his reality has a greater depth than originally imagined. And it also cribs some of the kung fu action, and bending architecture from both. But, if it has one problem, it is that it lacks the philosophical depth and quotable dialogue of both those films. Still, this shatters the previous mold of the Marvel/Disney origin stories, and Cumberbatch is charming as always.
Rated 05 Jun 2017
I gave up on the MCU movies more or less at the end of "Phase I", but decided to give this one a go. The story beats were certainly well-trodden, but the sorcery elements at least felt fresh. Even the big CGI fights felt like something new, particularly the reverse-time fight which did not overstay its welcome. Probably the biggest weakness was the familiar trope of waiting until the very end to have an undeveloped big bad appear after spending the bulk of the movie with a sidekick baddie.
Rated 15 Nov 2016
Granted, it could use more time to breath, and the story is nothing to call home about. But what makes it great is it's a superhero film where it doesn't just devolve into who can punch who harder like the rest, but rather the protagonist uses his wits to come out on top! The computer effects are also used in a much smarter way than most of its contemporaries. More like this, please.
Rated 06 Nov 2016
Best Marvel film so far. Wonderful CGI special effects rivalling Inception & Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Benedict Cumberbatch brings the pride & arrogance of his Sherlock Holmes character to the title role noted neurosurgeon. Rachel McAdams shows charm & enthusiasm as his colleague Christine Palmer. Tilda Swinton as usual, an other worldly scene stealer as his temple mentor the Ancient One. Awe inspiring & riveting exotic tale of the Far East.
Rated 13 Feb 2017
Falls prey to a few tiresome cliches (an unremarkable villain played by Mads Mikkelsen; our hero finishing training just in time for a world catastrophe) but subverts others (see the brains over brawn climax). Thoughtful discourse on violence and "the greater good", loads of ambitious and interesting visuals, a unique blend of ancient-exotic and modern America settings with the dashes of lightheartedness and unique situations that result (see The Ancient One in the hospital) are more pros.
Rated 09 Nov 2016
This movie is very interesting to look at and a really good mixture of comic book action and comedy. There's not much actually wrong with it, except for a few things that just could have been more potent, like establishing his character better before the accident, or showing how much turmoil he goes through before going to Nepal. There's an animated Strange movie from 2007 that does the first half an hour a lot better, but the rest of the movie is fine.
Rated 21 Nov 2016
Retroactive 76=>78 for buildup to Endgame. Your typical sort of Marvel romp. It suffers from the type of origin story that we've seen too many times already, and we spend quite a lot of time on that and the training montage before getting into the real action. It does have some trademark Marvel funny moments, and Cumberbatch is a great actor, though Dr. Strange as a fighter/hero is not the most novel or interesting to watch.
Rated 02 Nov 2016
Another fun time with Marvel. A bit more serious and mind bending than usual, but very enjoyable.
Rated 09 Nov 2016
Thrilling and profound, Doctor Strange only lacks in its somewhat hurried plot amidst its deeply philosophical themes. A longer runtime would have served it well, but still well acted and brilliantly produced.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
Filled with the quips and the wall-to-wall special effects and the forgettable villains you've come to know (and not love), Doctor Strange is yet another Marvel movie. I'd say it's slightly worse than the average film put out by Marvel as Strange isn't that interesting of a character and neither was the story told.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
Not a flawless masterpiece by any means. I could really have used some fleshing out of both the characters and this part of the Marvel universe. But it does have wicked effects, Cumberbatch is on point as an arrogant genius and there's a kick-ass librarian. And I liked seeing a superhero who didn't get his powers either from birth or from some weird accident or experiment (sometimes both) but actually had to hit the books and study to get there.
Rated 08 Nov 2016
Absolutely incredible visual effects - like, the best the MCU has EVER had. Strange's origin story is also one of the most interesting ones so far. Enjoyed the performances, enjoyed the cast, enjoyed the genre shift to fantasy from sci-fi.
Rated 25 Oct 2016
Visually it is mindblowing, Cumberbatch's acting is lightyears ahead of most Marvel actors, and it is really funny too. The pacing is really good...though Dr Strange's transition from being poor at magic to world class is a bit too accelerated for my liking, but it keeps the film ticking on at a fantastic pace. Personally I enjoyed this more than Captain America: Civil War and put it on a par with Deadpool.
Rated 29 Oct 2016
Strange is a good origin story,as much as I hate origins. No worse than Thor or Cap 1,probably on par with Antman and as visually distinctive
Rated 11 Nov 2016
I enjoyed this a whole lot more than I thought I would. Cumberbatch was great as usual, although he (or the writers) could have toned down the comic relief a bit. There were some incredible creative and inventive fight scenes (fighting while time is going in reverse anyone?), and the visuals were absolutely top notch.
Rated 15 Nov 2016
Slightly better than your standard super hero film. Mostly due to the visuals which were good enough I would even recommend 3D. There were moments that I couldn't follow what was going on and felt like my eyes were being assaulted by CGI but for the most part it was fine. Story was good I guess. It's hard for me to feel enthusiastic about it.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
Another Marvel movie, another somewhat fun yet completely forgettable experience.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
Doctor Strange has fantastic special effects, interesting characters, and engaging ideas - but all in service of a relatively bland story. It doesn't explore all of its ideas to the point of satisfaction, but it leaves you wanting more. There's enough action to keep you watching, and setting it against a backdrop of amazing visuals makes it more impressive. Superhero fatigue may be setting in, but something like Doctor Strange will pacify audiences for now.
Rated 05 Nov 2016
Before you listen to the masses saying, "But this was fun. It was crazy. The source material was so weird." The fact is, the story has to be good and, this narrative is not. It is silly, yes, but it is also so tired in its same formulaic method of telling us how a character gets from point A to point B in the redemption of his self-centered life. And, unfortunately, Stephen Strange is so similar to Tony Stark, that much of this seems like Iron Man part deux.
Rated 07 Nov 2016
The reality-bending chases are fun, and the effects to make them happen are pretty eye-popping, and definitely not in the boring Marvel house-style. But outside of that the tone is verging on DC-esque grimdark, which conflicts wildly with the absurd lore of the comics, resulting in moments of exposition that alternate between mind-numbingly tedious and unintentionally funny ("You dropped your sling ring"). As a visual spectacle it's worth watching, but there's very, very little beyond that.
Rated 30 Nov 2016
Over-reliance on special effects and a not so well known main character bring this down a bit. Has it's moments, but it's definitely in the middle of the pack as far as MCU goes.
Rated 14 Nov 2016
It's got nice graphics that crib a lot from Inception, but with more mind-bending pizazz and less pseudo-intellectual wanking. Otherwise, it fails because Marvel films have become so homogenized in their saccharine blend of humor and action that I just don't care anymore. These origin stories all use a stale plot skeleton and the banal tableau of city-wide destruction to the point of redundancy as well. Like cool, another jaded, rich white guy is suddenly really good at something and saves shit.
Rated 07 Feb 2017
(MISTER DOCTOR)
Rated 11 Nov 2016
Mmmmyeah! This is a mature, totally refreshing, somewhat crammed addition to the MCU. Cumberbatch, of course, is great, but so is everyone. It doesn't want to throw action setpieces at you as much as make you go whoaaaaa, look at that -- and that thing over there just--! Whoa, did you see that?! And that I can get behind. Marvel continues to smartly explore new properties to keep their franchise feeling fresh, yet connected.
Rated 05 Nov 2016
On par with Marvel's previous origin, Ant-man in terms of its merit, but for different reasons. Doctor Strange boasts the universes best visuals through Derrickson, and solid acting through its ensemble cast. That being said, its plot has some pot holes, including another undeveloped villain, and some disrespect to great characters in the source material. On the whole, though, Doctor Strange is worth watching and is a nice addition to the new heroes of Marvel.
Rated 01 Nov 2016
At one point a stoic Asian man listens to Beyoncé and it's meant to be a huge belly laugh. Some great visuals, especially if you've never seen Inception. More running in a straight line than your average Doctor Who episode.
Rated 05 Jul 2017
Not my kind of superhero movie. The Stephen Strange character is annoying and not in an interesting way. Cumberbatch plays the part solidly, but unfortunately my fellow Dane Mr. Mikkelsen is poor as the villain. Can't blame the CGI for not trying, but the everlasting mosaic ends up being to much. *Okay
Rated 09 Feb 2017
Ok, but pretty much like all the rest of these movies. Seen one, seen em all.
Rated 03 Jan 2018
A very enjoyable brainless big-screen action flick. Once again, I found myself enjoying another fringe MCU movie much more than any of the bland mainstream ones. This seems much more at home with the inherent silliness of comic book adaptations and Cumberbatch does humour surprisingly well. The story isn't great but paired with the amazing effects and the crazy hijacking of eastern mysticism (guessing this is a comic char from the 60s) it's a fun but forgettable ride.
Rated 06 Nov 2016
Cumberbatch strolls into the Marvel Universe like he owns it. The main trouble is that he deserved strong supporting characters (the hero's costume should not be more expressive than the villain). The humor is clever, the effects are weird and beautiful, and the story involves more than finding out who punches hardest. I have renewed hope for the future of super hero films.
Rated 20 Nov 2016
Beautiful visuals, amazing acting across the board, and a villian given proper motivation and screen time. Honestly this movie nails and excels the MCU formula we've seen over the past 8 years, while doing just enough unique things to make the movie feel fresh and new.
Rated 15 Apr 2017
Competent but uninspired MCU film suffers from the rote plotting which has become standard in these origin stories - arrogant man-child suffering from arrested development gains super power(s) and takes down super villians - and there is nothing here to thematically or conceptually distinguish it from previous entries; it's sad to see the accomplished Cumberbatch doing a take on the one-note tropes laid down by Downey and Pratt before him. Set design and effects at least provide some eye candy.
Rated 04 Nov 2016
I'm a huge fan of the Doctor Stange comics and this movie was surprisingly better than I expected. It follows the typical Marvel movie formula to a tee, but the movie was well cast and Cumberbatch was fantastic. It had some pretty clever scenes such as the reverse time fight (though I thought they could have done more with this) and the encounter with Dormammu. that said it doesn't push the boundaries of fantasy and magic like the comics do but as a thriller, it was pretty decent.
i spent the whole movie thinking Benjamin Bratt was John Leguizamo
Rated 07 Nov 2016
Best Marvel movie yet. It will cause me to re-evaluate the rest of the Marvel movies.
Rated 19 Feb 2017
Sorry, but bullshit scouter readings go over 9000 on this. First, Cumberbatch, as an arrogant asshole? With a face like this?! Please, everyone would just laugh at him. Second, that psy-trance, pseudo-buddhist, spiritual l.s.d. airhead bullshit... I should have known when certain people told me how they generally dislike superhero movies, but Doctor Strange was good...
Rated 01 Nov 2016
It's a solid starter movie for a new Marvel hero. And, well, I do have a knack for sarcastic, ego-centric characters with a weird humor, so it was kinda easy for me to take a liking to Doctor Strange. Apart from him also happening to look like Benedict Cumberbatch, of course. It was a fun ride, nothing too new but that's okay. This is also one of the few movies where I can say it's worth it to watch it in 3D and on the big screen, because the CGI is amazing.
Rated 07 Dec 2017
The visuals are absolutely impeccable, Benedict Cumberbatch is great and the action is fascinating. The story itself is very interesting, from Strange's transformation to the existentialist aspects to the way the film fits in the MCU. There's five jokes and they're all excellent, the score is wonderful and the overall impression is that, although the story might not be something we've never seen before, "Doctor Strange" is both very well-made technically and really tight narratively.
Rated 02 Nov 2016
Baby steps, I guess, but Marvel at least gives in to fantasy this time around. Too much of Inception and Interstellar, but a decent dose of Edge of Tomorrow makes this more lightly fun and dumbly grandiose.
Rated 27 Jul 2018
Why don't they just... ah fuck it, whatever
Rated 16 Nov 2017
So far it's the ugly duckling of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and among the others it stands out like a sore thumb. Now, that's not to say it's a bad movie. It's still got the same enormous budget as every other MCU movie, great effects, and a fairly entertaining plot, but there's some thick competition among these inbred cousins of movies and this one comes out on the bottom. I blame a miscast Cucumber Batch, and too much time spent on setting up the story.
Rated 28 Aug 2017
Definitely a different entry into the MCU, but Cumberbatch plays a great Dr. Strange, with his appearance being as close to the comic as humanly possible. Even got his weird eyes right (they made them kind of Asian-esque in the comics.) Also featured the best god damn sentient piece of cloth since the Magic Carpet in Aladdin!
CUMBERBATCH.
Rated 04 Aug 2021
I genuinely like the individual elements of this movie, from the kaleidoscoping Inception cgi spectacle, to the proposed eternal sacrifice of the time loop, to magic monk school, to Tilda Swinton, so it's a shame that the MCU is irreparably shackled to corporate soullessness
Rated 14 Dec 2016
100% the typical slurry of safe bets one gets from Marvel, but with jazzier effects this time. Hell, I'll take it. (They ripped off the out-of-body combat from The Frighteners but I ain't even mad.)
Rated 05 Nov 2016
Really difficult to rate this. On one hand, you have some of the most beautiful psychedelic imagery I've ever seen on the big screen (and in IMAX to boot). And you've got, what, FIVE Oscar nominees/winners as your top billed cast? On the other hand, other than a few surprisingly dramatic scenes between McAdams and Cumberbatch, no one is really allowed to act. Because the script is a total disaster. Atrocious dialogue, pacing. But there's enough great ideas to make it worth it. Kinda.
Rated 29 Nov 2016
It's aight. Some cool kaleidoscopic visuals and Tilda Swinton as a badass bald guru. Had enough origin stories for one lifetime, though.
Rated 12 Jan 2021
Enjoyable, up to a point. That point being the whole middlebrow Marvel aesthetic. So instead of a review, I could just list a hundred references to better films.
Rated 04 May 2018
It's very pretty!
Rated 07 Nov 2016
Visuals were amazing, definitely worth seeing in theaters. Extra points for the use of Interstellar Overdrive.
Rated 30 Oct 2016
Watchable although the action sequences, while impressively mounted, stirred up some major deja vu. Cumberbatch is fine as the obnoxious Strange but these things, really, are beginning to merge one into the other. One sleep later I don't recall much about the plot, other than that it was mostly set-up with an amusing sequence with Strange in a time loop with a giant space face.
Rated 03 Dec 2016
I'm gonna be honest with you, this is one of the best Marvel movies I've seen. Benedict Cumberbatch was made for this role. He did an outstanding job, as well as McAddams, Swinton, and Ejiofor. Visuals were absolutely stunning, well most of them. LOVED IT!
Rated 13 Feb 2017
A sumptuous visual fx feast for the eyes but sadly there wasn't much else in this film on the same level. I disliked the way Strange progressed from useless amateur to expert magician without any clear indication of passing of time or required effort on his part. The climax, while admirably different from other Marvel films in it's resolution, felt anticlimactic at the same time. At least there were a few good gags and characters so while this isn't a great film, it's still a pretty good one.
Rated 28 Oct 2016
Slightly better than Ant-Man but worse than the first Iron Man, Doctor Strange offers the same old superhero sh*t from a slightly different angle, and that might be enough to stand out these days. The new age elements feel a bit silly, but luckily they don't dwell on it. At least the FX work is a bit different even though it does owe a lot to "Inception". Cumberbatch is a good fit for the role with shades of Tony Star, but others (McAdams, Mikkelsen and Swinton) seem a bit wasted in their roles.
Rated 04 Jun 2017
While besting Inception at its own visual effects game, it unfortunately isn't as intellectually compelling. But for a superhero origin story, it certainly is one of the better ones. And a final boss fight that's actually creative? Thank you!
08.11.2016, Cinemaximum Panora
Rated 06 Nov 2016
I was preparing to like this which was a very obvious mistake to make. There were good visuals but I should have expected any weird ideas to be there. Scott Derrickson should have watched Altered States and The Holy Mountain
Rated 05 Nov 2016
One of Marvel's laziest story-telling efforts dressed up with colourful visuals that don't contribute to the world or story.
Rated 24 Aug 2017
I cant really be bothered with reviewing this other than to say that it involves an obnoxious cocky arrogant unpleasant arsehole who ruins his physical abilities (by driving and phoning, so zero sympathy) and has to go all Eastern Hocus Pocus on us and develop new mental abilities, only to get embroiled in a fight against evil forces out to destroy the world (yawn); just lots of running, fighting, and pointless, annoying CGI, punctuated by embarrassing attempts at "humour". I hated this garbage
Rated 26 Nov 2016
* One of the better Marvel movies, even though I think Strange was a bit overplayed with his stubbornness, the tone, amusement and action were very well balanced. It could've used a slowe tempo considering the content, specially with the action scenes, but I loved some scenes, specially the final 'battle' and how it concluded. A decent watch afterall
Rated 02 Feb 2017
Wonderful special effects, well deserving on it's Visual Effects Oscar nomination. Entertaining too. Perfectly acceptable superhero movie. On the other hand, it didn't really trigger any excitement in seeing another Doctor Strange (2016) movie, which was the case they were trying to promote by introducing this guy.
Rated 30 Oct 2016
It's fun, but it's one of the weaker entries in the MCU. The best thing about it was probably the visuals. There were a couple of cool action scenes, but probably not enough. It did lack depth and complexity. Cumberbatch is pretty good. Swinton is great. Rachel McAdams gets very little to do. We get another generic villain. Most of the jokes fell flat. The story pretty much moves along exactly as you'd expect. I like the character of Doctor Strange, and I'm looking forward to seeing more
Rated 08 Nov 2016
A movie about a super hero magician should be a cool, but more importantly fresh, concept, even in the glut of Marvel movies to come out so far this decade. Instead we got The Matrix Meets Inception, with Benedict Cumberbatch doing his best House impression.
Rated 10 Mar 2017
I haven't watched or reviewed a movie in a while... and it felt strange. I thought I would try and get back on the horse and do a fun Marvel movie. I did really like this one. It has a good mix of humor and dead seriousness. I feel like I had a small working knowledge of the characters of this film, from a few Marvel video games that I've tried. So it helped to know some story and names beforehand. Benedict Cumberbatch is wonderful as usual and he looks awesome as a super hero...