2008
Mystery
Set in 1964, Doubt centers on a nun who confronts a priest after suspecting him abusing a black student. He denies the charges, and much of the play's quick-fire dialogue tackles themes of religion, morality and authority.

2008
Mystery

Rated 07 Jul 2009
Does what all great movies do. It captures your undivided attention while it's playing (thanks to many great performances) and then causes you to think about what you've seen for a good time afterward. And like most of my favorites, there's some real moral ambiguity here and Shanley never forces you to "choose a side". Do you fall in line with the ice queen nun who's trying to stop a case of child abuse? Or the more relatable, but possible child abuser, priest? There are no easy answers.
Rated 06 Jul 2009
I had a slight issue with the ending, but other than that, I thought this was excellent. The score was really great and added tension and suspicion where there might not otherwise have been any. The scene between Sister Aloysius and Mrs. Miller was explosive, shocking, and unforgettable. Adams, Streep, and Hoffman were all phenomenal. Overall, I thought it was pretty amazing.
Rated 22 Dec 2008
Flaws? Shanley's choice to use several off-angle shots only distracts rather than enhances; a little too much of the playwright taste for some heavy-handed metaphor; & a willfull need to create an ambiguous ending where there should be none. But, these are quibbles. The film works. Great characters with incredible acting all around. Streep is getting all the raves, but the real knockout here is Viola Davis as the boy's mother. Hands down the best supporting performance by an actress this year.
Rated 10 Jan 2009
The excellent performances drive the film through powerful scenes that make up for the lack of 'cinematic' feel of the great screenplay.
Rated 19 Jan 2009
A terse, tense thriller tailored to the magnetism of the lead roles. Meryl Streep, as a draconian nun, becomes convinced that Father Flynn (played by Philip Seymour Hoffman) has abused one of the altar boys. The entire film hinges on the lingering uncertainty of the priest's guilt (or innocence). It succeeds as a fascinating character study without much in the way of narrative complexity. The setup of the film is clear and modest, but its execution is nothing short of masterful.
Rated 30 Jan 2009
A clever adaptation of a sophisticated play works well, thanks to the snappy dialogue and the fantastic performances in all the key parts. Leaves a lot unsaid, trusting that the second act will happen outside the theater as the viewers start discussing their takes on the story.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Nothing to get overexcited about, but definitely watchable (especially for the performances involved). Viola Davis' oscar nom is ludicrous, she was on screen for 5 minutes !!!
Rated 03 Mar 2009
I loved 3 scenes in particular. The one with Viola Davis and Meryl Streep walikng, the one with the confrontation between Meryl and Philip, and the one where Amy Adams yells at Meryl Streep.
Rated 21 Mar 2009
Worth it almost entirely for several rounds of Hoffman versus Streep. Having said that, it never feels as if the film quite escapes its origins as a stage performance.
Rated 31 Mar 2009
Doubt is basically an average film guided and escorted by the proficient, devoted rendition of Meryl Streep and also by Viola Davis in her five minutes of fame. A bit sluggish though and the ending is execrable and overexplained. Unwanting of any Oscars.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
Wat hebbe we vandaag geleerd: 1: zie altijd eerst na de trailer om te controllere da de film da ge wilt zien genen saaie-nonne-film is 2: saaie-nonne-films zijn saai en nonnig 3: DOUBT is ne saaie-nonne-film
Rated 13 Feb 2018
"Acting: The Movie" So much acting. Acting all over the place. A film that is entirely propelled forward by the magnificent performances of the entire ensemble cast, who power a great script full of subtlety and nuance. After watching this, I genuinely believe that Meryl Streep has the ability to look into your soul and instantly know all the sins you have committed.
Rated 16 Dec 2008
The three leading performances are superb, especially the sublime Philip Seymour Hoffman, but the movie ultimately fails to escape the fact that it's just a filmed play. Pardon my bluntness, but it's boring.
Rated 26 Dec 2008
Have you seen the trailer for Doubt? If so, you've seen the whole movie. This is clearly meant for stage and stage alone, but, all things considered this is at the very least entertaining and does have a good script. The acting is good but it's also obvious. These guys just act and act and act and never stop and actually become the characters. This is blatantly meant for theater but doesn't fail completely as a film.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
You must catch it for the performances... And I will say, for those who have seen it on stage, it worked better for me on film, here...
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Pretty good; the material is strong, the performances are very engaging, and it's not particularly bad in any way. It's not outstanding in any way either though (except for the acting). And this isn't really a complaint about Doubt, but in movies centered on this era in particular: didn't fucking COLOR exist? The palette is always so drab in these types of dramas. It works for the material, but sheesh.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
An excellent drama. Hoffman and Streep turn in great performances and the story is engaging. But the ending is hilariously bad and left an awful taste in my mouth. The melodramatic delivery of a titular line in particular sours the whole experience.
Rated 09 Feb 2014
A terrific adaptation of the stage version which doesn't really need to stray far from its theatrical origins. This a performance-driven moral discussion piece, and the performances are all brilliant.
Rated 21 Jan 2009
Great work from all the actors, but with PSH and MS does that really need to be said? The story is sparse and effective, but wears its stage origins on its sleeve. Apart from that nothing here dazzles, nor dissapoints. It's cinematic meat and potatoes.
Rated 22 Jan 2009
Written and directed by the same guy who created the play this film is based on, Doubt feels like watching a play a lot of the time. The actors bring none of the subtlety that film allows. Streep and Hoffman scream at each other as though people in the back may not be able to hear them. However, this is a pretty good film and the acting is overall solid. With powerhouses like Streep and Hoffman as the leads, Amy Adams is able to sneak in a pretty fantastic performance of her own.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
Solid drama with great writing and acting from the whole cast. Especially Hoffman and Streep do amazing job. I would have liked the ending more if it had been left open but I didn't have any real problems with the current ending which tries to explain things a bit too much.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
Hoffman, Streep and Adams are all great. The pacing is a bit sluggish and the ending overexplains things but otherwise a good movie.
Rated 01 Feb 2009
A terrific film, Streep is brilliant and there are many engaging scenes. Also some thought-provoking shit going on.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
Surprisingly cinematic,well-crafted and superbly acted, I quite enjoyed this small film's take on some of the biggest themes of human existence.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Doubtful? Nah, certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, actually, that this doubtfully drab distinguished tale of a catholic priest dipping (or not dipping?) his holy sceptre, where it doesn't belong, will be forgotten by me within two days.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Hoffman, Streep & Adams are a joy to watch, their performances contributing to a very intense mood that the movie manages to hold, before somewhat ruining it with the very last, overtly melodramatic scene.
Rated 22 Feb 2009
Has some rough edges, sure, but who cares when you get memorable characters along with some of the year's very best performances. This is acting masterclass.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
I could watch Meryl Streep & Philip Seymour Hoffman argue for days on end. Just an acting clinic on display here. Although it's a bit too stagey, it doesn't take away from such powerful performances.
Rated 28 Mar 2009
just like Milk, overrated, boring and there is already enough of "that" stuff in church in RL
Rated 13 Apr 2009
The film is worth mainly by trio of great actors. The initial argument is great, but it could have been better exploited.
Rated 25 Nov 2012
Great acting!. I am sure the purpose of this play is to raise questions about 'doubt', but it actually raises (and never answers) the main one ...namely WHEN did 'doubt' creep in to someone of such stoic determined obstinance? Before the preist left, or after? which raises the question why did she not investigate properly, or what made her change her mind?? We are left to guess! Fundamentally flawed drama, with a ending straight from the theatre **curtain, rapturous applause .... ehhhh ??? *
Rated 22 Apr 2009
Many of the one on one confrontations are very good. The rest of the movie just feels like filler.
Rated 04 May 2009
LOL WHAT'S THIS MOVIE ABOUT I DON'T GET IT
Rated 04 May 2009
In this cinema version of a play by the same director set in a catholic school in the 60's, a nun accuses a priest of abusing a black student. The three major actors put down great performances, especially Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The story isn't new, but the dialogue is strong and the movie as a whole carries a certain amount of tension. Interesting trivia: only Philip Seymour Hoffman playing the priest knew whether the priest was guilty. The rest of the cast was not informed.
Rated 28 May 2009
The material is very strong, but the direction seems a little mediocre. Nothing very groundbreaking is done behind the camera here, and if it weren't for the amazing Roger Deakins this would probably feel like several cameras set up to record the stage production. Luckily Shanley has some of the best actors in the business giving his movie some of their best work. Streep, Hoffman and Adams all do phenomenal jobs, and they're what keep Doubt more captivating than anything else.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
There are brilliant performances all the way through "Doubt". Streep, Hoffman and Davis are fantastic, but star of the show for is Amy Adams, who is just wonderful. The script is superb also, as you would expect from a film with stage origins. Most of all however this film deals with difficult and unsettling subject matters in a intriguing and thorough way. Yet at the same time this film is ambiguous about those issues, leaving the viewer to make up their own minds, and living up to its title
Rated 15 Sep 2009
Ending was a little over the top for me. I don't really watch many Streep films, but from what I have seen of her (DevilPrada and this) she is awesome in the villian/mean role. Not sure it was supposed to be funny but some of her comments and mannerisms had me cracking up. All the interaction between PSH/Adams/her was great (esp the meeting in the office). I am a big PSH fan and thought he was solid, but Streep steals the show, without a doubt!
Rated 28 Mar 2011
Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of my favorite actors and when he gave his speech about gossip it was chilling. The ending was also not what I expected and was pulled of marvelously by Streep and Adams.
Rated 19 Nov 2009
This movie has excellent performance by all three leads, Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. The story, screen play and direction was just perfect. The ending is actually really perfect, it lets the viewer decide on the reality. Not to mention the performance of Viola Davis. A must watch movie for one and all. Really disappointing it didnt do well at the Oscars as much it deserved.
Rated 27 Dec 2008
The heavy-handedness of the direction (sweeping metaphor and strange, pointless camera angles, for example) certainly does not detract from some of the greatest acting of the year. The greatest accolades go to Adams who makes such good use of what little she has; every look, line, or reaction of hers is perfect.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
It appears it's Oscar-time yet again for Meryl Streep. The actress pulls off with precision the role of a stubborn old stone-faced nun out to scare from her parish a priest whom she suspects is molesting a student. There's not a lot of action here, however the story is so intense and the script is so tight that you'll find yourself dangling from every word uttered by each actor and actress.
Rated 30 Jan 2012
Wow. A blistering drama. Meryl Streep is typically fantastic, typically losing herself in the role. Amy Adams is great; Viola Davis has one damn scene and she was rightly nominated for an Academy Award, really excellent. Plus it is my favorite Philip Seymour Hoffman performance (not that I've seen many but it must count for something). And Shanley does a superb job directing it. The dialogue scenes are so damn thrilling. Just a really fine piece of filmmaking in general.
Rated 15 Nov 2010
A generally good script, featuring some strong scenes, benefits greatly from the impressive performances of the principals. Embraces a greater level of complexity than can usually be expected from Hollywood, with only a few slightly awkward moments and a bit of somewhat heavy-handed symbolism detracting from the experience.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
Some of the best acting I've ever seen in a film. Everyone shined like a diamond in the sunlight. The movie itself was a slight let down, being just good when I expected great. Even if you aren't interested by the film's dark plot or think it just looks bad, see it for the acting, because the acting alone is an excuse to see the film. I may be in the minority here but I would have to say I thought Adams was better than Davis. Grade: B Plus
Rated 05 Jan 2009
A excelllent film that strays away from holding your hand to much, untill the overacted end. All of the performances are extremely well acted and the final interview between Hoffman and Streep is simply mesmerizing. Viola Davis is amazing as the emotionally conflicted mother of the child. Her scene is very heartwrenching for both her and the boy. If it wasn't for the last minute or so of the film I would have given a higher score, but it is still a well made drama about a very sensetive sub
Rated 12 Jan 2012
Probably the best part about this movie for me was the performances. The three leads were all fantastic.
Rated 20 Jan 2009
Absolutely incredible acting by Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams. The story is straightforward, and lacks much depth or complexity, but the ensemble performances make it well worth watching.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
I have such doubts (about the ending of this movie)!
Rated 08 Mar 2023
Expecting the most boring experience ever. A movie about priests, nuns and the lame, over-investigated topic of (religious) doubt. What a surprise! It's a snappy, darkly funny, very intense play adaptation. The theatrical performances and intense confrontations had me glued to my suet at some points. Phenomenal performances.
Rated 17 Feb 2014
Some brilliant performances and moments. Had they polished out more of the stage-play clunk this would've been great.
Rated 05 Jan 2012
From the beginning until the end, absolutely thrilling!
Rated 01 Feb 2009
a very tricky subject handles perhaps a little too delicately as I could have done with a bit less ambiguity. BUT does include some great sparing between Hoffman and Streep so is worth a look for at least that.
Rated 21 May 2022
Quite well acted by everyone on screen.
Rated 20 Dec 2011
süphe, kilise, okul, yeni ögretmen, rahibe, papaz, cocuk istismari (Donald Miller, kilise okulunda ki zenci cocuktur. Rahibe, papazin cocugu istismar ettigini düsünür, film diyaloglarla ilerliyor.) Ben begendim.
Rated 01 Nov 2010
"Doubt doesn't work fully on screen as it did on stage, but it's worth seeing for Streep's grace notes." - Dan Callahan
Rated 15 Feb 2009
Outstanding Meryl's performance, the doubt is beyond the drama it remarks the moral and the faith.
Rated 28 Mar 2018
Is it over yet? Are they still going back and forth on whether he did anything at all?
Rated 02 Jan 2013
An insightful, intriguing, emotionally satisfying film with two fantastic performances.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
What do you do when all you have is doubt about a person and his/her actions ? That is the question this film is about. I thought the acting and dialogue in this movie was superb and everybody added depth and nuance to this film.The fiery chemistry between Sister Aloysius and Father Flynn is some of the best acting I've seen in a while.The final confrontation between them is absolutely incredible and is one of the best scenes between two characters I have seen. Two Thumbs Up.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Enjoyed this for the fine performances of Streep, Hoffman, Adams and Davis. Overall the story was good, not great.
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Great leading actors. The meating with all three in principal's office was prefectly choreographed; all movements, looks, pacing and disturbances in right places. Just perfect. Lacks with a decent ending.
Rated 20 Mar 2009
Very strong movie and due to incredible acting it's probably even better than the play. Provides no easy answers and difficult moral questions about faith, certainty and of course doubt. One of the best movies this year.
Rated 30 Nov 2012
Cinematically, Doubt is something of a dud. But if it remains a play, it's an ingeniously structured one, with smart, thought-provoking words spoken by fabulous actors, and how often do most of us get to see one of those, whether in three dimensions or two?
Rated 03 Apr 2009
great, great movie! Interested in other's opinions on this as well.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
The acting is excellent and like any good play the allegories and messages are clear and well executed. There's not much beyond that, though, it's a very theatrical production where everything serves to comment on the film's theme of doubt. The visuals are also surprisingly drab, though by no means bad.
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Absolutely excellent performances from Streep, Hoffman, Adams, and Davis. I also really appreciated how very morally ambiguous the words and actions of the characters are - it is definitely a story that leaves the audience with as many doubts as the characters. That said, the directing was kind of heavy handed - the obvious visual metaphors made me snicker, and I felt like I should be tilting my head whenever there was a character in a skewed-angled shot.
Rated 15 Apr 2014
Dull
Rated 24 Apr 2009
A well-made film all around, but there's something holding it back from greatness that I can't quite put my finger on. Even so, it's very well written and performed. The subtle ambiguities in the dialogue really create great suspense and anticipation. Streep, Hoffman, Adams, and Davis are all fantastic, loading the movie with tension. The photography is also notable, with some really great compositions scattered about.
Rated 29 Apr 2009
The direction is pretty flat and straight-forward, which is fine, as this film mainly exists to showcase some terrific performances. Streep carries the show, but everyone else is up to the task, including a very good supporting scene with Viola Davis which will change your entire perception of the events.
Rated 11 Mar 2018
It does a good job at illustrating the sexist hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church, and at the way that more repressive attitudes probably did more to protect vulnerable children from predatory clerics than Vatican II-era relaxations. Meryl Streep's artifice will irritate the Meryl Streep haters, and contrasts rather nicely with Philip Seymour Hoffman's more naturalistic acting style.
Rated 22 Nov 2012
The actors do good work, but nothing can save a script where a lightbulb keeps burning out in order to illustrate the evasiveness of truth. Contains quite possibly the worst "we have a title" moment in cinema history.
Rated 18 Apr 2011
Marvelously acted by all three leads and packs a true emotional punch with no manipulation. A bit slow for my standards and it sometimes feels too much like the adapted play it is than a movie, but a great creation nonetheless.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
This movie was well-off as a Stage Drama than being made as a movie. But the incredible actors give the story its life. A very good eye-opener that tells people should have complete conviction on a topic before making accusations or arguments.
Rated 07 Jun 2009
A film with acting as good as one can expect to see in any film.
Rated 07 Jun 2009
This was an engaging and believable exploration of certain themes significant to religious life: doubt v. certainty, justice v. compassion, and suspicion v. trust. Performances were excellent all around, and I found the film doggedly persistent in refusing to resolve the central question. The direction falls flat in a number of instances where moments don't quite work, esp. with the use of weather. However, the writing is excellent throughout, providing an engaging, heady drama.
Rated 03 Mar 2014
Has the feel of a made for afternoon TV movie. A decent enough way to while away the time mulling over the ambiguous evidence and motives. Some big hitters on display in the acting roles but all three leads have much more to work with elsewhere.
Rated 06 Apr 2011
Great performances, good film. The film was basically all about the confrontations between Streep and Hoffman and occasionally chucking in Amy Adams too. The scenes featuring only one of the characters felt just like passing the time, waiting for the 'big' scenes.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
Clash of the Titans: Meryl Streep vs. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Go watch that very interesting battle!
Rated 27 Jun 2009
An engaging but flawed film. Perhaps under a more competent director, and with the corny lines combed out of the script this could have been much better. I don't know if the last line is as horrible as everyone said it was, however.
Rated 12 Jul 2009
Quite entertaining and intriguing. However, the scene with the boy's mom was rather silly (and I am mystified by the praise for the actress who played her).
Rated 28 Jul 2017
Great acting . Great story.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
A long boring and mostly meaningless story about the abysmal waste of lives spent in the service of the church. Suspected child abusers are passed around and even promoted to hide the ugly truth and protect the church from scandal. Powerful performances, that are entirely believable, can not save us from this wretched story with little more to offer than the obvious doubt about believing in a supreme being. I didn't need this much boredom to get that message. Good acting, bad movie.
Rated 04 Apr 2011
Go see the stage play since this has no business being on film period. Overacting galore from a cast that would make the Academy salivate typifies this dialogue heavy adaptation of the play.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
I'm a big Philip Seymour Hoffman fan, and his role in this movie doesn't disappoint. And even though I don't usually like Meryl Streep in anything, she is a perfect foil, playing hard-assed no-nonsense shrew to Hoffman's laissez-faire (deviant?) man of the cloth. The movie nails the inherent gender differences in the Catholic faith, and does a great job of dramatizing what would appear to be a very boring conflict. Overall, very well made and thought provoking.
Rated 03 Aug 2009
Better than decent talkie which sucks you into its "did he or didn't he?" plot well enough that you're never really sure yourself. Meryl Streep puts in an impressive day's work, despite having the single worst line of her career (at the end of the movie)... yeah, it's even worse than "a dingo ate my baby!"
Rated 05 Aug 2009
Nice Movie
Rated 16 Aug 2009
This movie is great. Very dense, and captivating. I appreciated not being force fed anything, watching the scenes unfold and coming to my own conclusions. We easily could have been told what to feel through camera angles or music, and to the film's credit we weren't. People have criticized this straight forward direction, which I find bizarre. With SUCH impressive performances I think that it's an indication of unbalanced priorities to criticize the film for un-flashy direction. Get over it.
Rated 14 Jun 2015
#14#, story, reviews, PS.Hoffman/5B(RIP), Amy.A/7B4
Rated 21 Feb 2015
As far as seeing Great Actors shout at each other for two hours, this is a great movie. But it's soooooo ham-fistedly directed and adapted (by the original playwright, no less, who seems intent on beating you over the head until you can't see straight). "I HAVE SO MUCH DOUBT!" Yes. I get it. Still, remarkable performances from each of the four leads.
Rated 16 Oct 2009
this movie could have used some elaboration on the story but it was entertaining.
Rated 30 Nov 2009
Slowly looks like it's going somewhere and................... then it ends. I'm a fan of both the main actors but this was a let down story wise.
Rated 07 Dec 2009
Seymour Hoffman and Streep were brilliant. Good ending, amazing film, not really for the average film watcher, but still a really well executed plot, some great dialogue, some movie scenes. Ultimately the end is up to you, awesome.
Rated 08 Jun 2015
Rated 23 Jun 2012
2 of 4 -- Entertainment. 1 of 2 -- Food For Thought. 0 of 2 -- Opens The Heart. 0 of 2 -- Sustainability Values.
Rated 17 Jun 2012
A movie with sharp dialogues. The interpretations of Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman will move with millimetric balance on a steep and rugged ridge
Rated 20 Jun 2012
Streep and Hoffman are both great in this great story about morality and religion.
Rated 18 Jan 2010
Das Machtspielchen zwischen Meryl Streep und Philip Seymor Hoffman ist ein fantastisches Schauspiel.
Rated 22 Jan 2010
I've a doubt yet.
Rated 26 Jan 2010
A fine play and fine performances. The direction (by the author) is serviceable,
Rated 26 Feb 2010
Powerful film with great contrasts and superb performances.