Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

1964
War

Rated 24 Feb 2007
Honestly my favorite Kubrick film and while I wouldn't consider it side-splitting laugh-out loud humour it's probably the funniest black comedy/satire in existence. Peter Sellers is fantastic in his three roles but personally I was more in awe of George C. Scott's performance. While there doesn't seem to be as much amazing cinematography when compared to other Kubrick films there are still some fantastic shots, most memorable to me being the war room.
Rated 15 Jul 2008
I'm not a fan of Stanley Kubrick, but this movie was expertly done. Peter Sellers pulls off all three of his roles extremely well, the humor is for the most part very thoughtful humor. This movie has one of the best endings I've ever seen. there are no two ways about it, this film is completely well scripted, acted, and produced. This is one of the hallmarks of black comedy.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
The blackest of comedies, it pokes fun at the terrifying ludicrousness of nuclear warfare; the world set to burn with petty rivalries, hurt feelings and bureaucracy providing the tinder. Kubrick conforms to no comedic conventions with wonderfully awkward silences, starkly realistic sets and deadly serious subject matter all contrasting sharply with the inherent absurdities. Favourite scenes are between Mandrake and Ripper, but Turgidson is also hilarious. The quintessential comedy as catharsis.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
A movie that can make fun of nuclear warfare during the height of nuclear paranoia while being deliciously amusing certainly fills out the checklist of being a black comedy. Stanley Kubrick has not only made a movie that was great for its time but also is still funny, smart and memorable by today's standards. The classic scenes, one-liners and performances from both Sellers and Scott launch this bizarre one of a kind movie into masterpiece status.
Rated 09 Feb 2007
This for-the-ages satire is so outrageous, so nightmarishly wicked it actually comes prefaced with a note of reassurance from the powers that be. Kubrick repudiates Cold War paradox with comic absurdity and intellectual acuity. Its funniest principle is the equation of hardline militarism with sexual immaturity or impotence. The trio of performances from Sellers, Scott, and Hayden, the War Room set design, and Pickens riding the bomb are now iconic, pervasive in popular and political culture.
A magnificent black comedy. Peter Sellers does a great job with all his characters and even 40 years later much of the film's biting satire still feels relevant.
Rated 18 Feb 2007
Dr. Strangelove is a great example of Kubrick and why he is one of the most controversial filmmakers of all time. A comedy about the world ending... made during the cold war. Dr. Strangelove is really funny. Peter Sellers is fantastic, and creates three memorable characters in this film. George C Scott was also fantastic. Overall, Dr. Strangelove was extremely well executed, considering its nature, it contains some great scenes as well as memorable lines.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Contemporary paranoias of the new world order giving birth to an everlasting farce in the hands of Kubrick. Peter Sellers titanize as the doppelganger that he really fits.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
My favorite film of all time. Every performance and shot is magnetic; and the more one learns about politics and world power, the funnier the movie becomes.
Rated 15 Nov 2009
A strong candidate for bravest movie ever made. A comedy about nuclear holocaust, conceived at the height of the cold war, starring an impotent, mad general, an American president who takes advice from a "former" nazi, and behaviour so childish that it prompts the line "Gentlemen! You can't fight here! This is the war room!" Major "King" Kong bull riding a nuclear bomb, as it extends from his legs, like a giant nuclear cock is simply epic. Sex and death - Kubrick style.
One of the ultimate dark comedies of all time. Deliciously wicked screenplay and superb acting make it as awesome as it is. And don't forget, you just "can't fight in the war room".
Rated 19 Apr 2008
Terrifying and hilarious movie about our world at the brink of destruction due to the arrogance, incompetence and just plain madness of man. Tons of great dialog with Peter Sellers in THREE great roles. Excellent set design by Ken Adam who went on to become famous with his work on the James Bond movies. George C. Scott delivering a great performance as Curtis LeMay, pardon, Buck Turgidson. And what a weird and wonderful choice to make Slim Pickens the commander of the bomber. Ah, good times.
Mein Führer, I can walk! By far my favorite Kubrick film thanks to a great grasp of jet black comedy, sharp satire, and four incredibly lively performances, three from Peter Sellers and one from George C. Scott. Pretty much everything that comes out of the titular character's mouth is gold. Ken Adams (of James Bond fame)'s set design on the war room is sublime genius. So should you watch this movie? It is not only possible... it is essential.
Rated 28 Mar 2011
Outstanding, intelligent and black satire with sharp and extremely well written dialogue. Peter Sellers creates in Dr. Strangelove one of the funniest and most memorable characters ever. George C. Scott is also hilarious as the war horny general Buck ("I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say: No more than ten to twenty million killed...tops"). And the fact that Kubrick had the guts make this film only 14 months after the Cuba Missile Crisis makes you stand back in awe.
Rated 15 Feb 2017
I can see why some didn’t like this, but I loved it! I loved Kubrick's style of lighting and his interesting shots. The man knows how to direct beautiful, odd movies. Peter Sellers obviously stands out. The rest of the cast actually does amazing as well. Really good albeit slow story that simply allows everyone to act their butts off. The music was good too, and there are some pretty funny lines in there. Very good and deserving of its acclaim in my opinion.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
I recently decided to revisit Dr. Strangelove based on a realization that in my youth, I may not have been able to fully appreciate it. I am now convinced that it is completely flawless. Kubrick solidifies his standing as my favorite filmmaker by maintaining a striking balance between humor and apprehension of annihilation, a theme that is still socially relevant. If we cannot laugh about impending doom then what can we laugh about?
Rated 01 Feb 2007
It's hard to appreciate the humor of the whole film after the first viewing. After the second viewing, though, it's just hysterical. Peter Sellers and George C. Scott carry the film with their unique and randomly over-the-top performances. However, they are not alone, for Sterling Hayden also has a bit of comedy in him, as subtle and dirty as it is. You really learn Kubrick's versatility.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
Fluids.
Rated 05 Aug 2012
I feel quite strange to have a very different view of this film. I understand that it is a satire, the problem is I didn't find it funny for the most part. The acting was good. Hayden, Scott, and Sellers all play their parts well. There are some good scenes, but a lot of this failed to impact me.
Rated 20 Jun 2020
A comedy of terrors. Cleverly constructed and tense - the iconic light of the war room casts the ring of a mushroom cloud, a set where every cigar burns toward a doomsday/aftermath designed by male sexual ego. Watched in memory of Vera Lynn, who passed just yesterday at 103 - "But I know we'll meet again some sunny day"
Rated 31 Mar 2008
It took a rewatch and several years of additional life experience to truly understand how brilliant this movie is. The pace is wonderful, the humor never feels forced and is deliciously dark instead, and every actor abso-friggin-lutely nails it. Also; best one-way phone conversation in all of cinema.
Rated 11 Sep 2020
Dr. Strangelove or: How Kubrick Got His Groove Back George C. Scott is so naturally funny that if Leslie Nielsen never existed we would've been okay.
Rated 01 Jan 2007
This is probably the Kubrick film that least feels like a Kubrick film - at least, of his major works. Instead of dealing with troubled characters in a cold, calculated manner, he creates a hilarious satire of the Cold War, with unforgettable caricatures and some fantastic dialogue. "Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!" Sellers (especially as Strangelove) and Scott are fantastic. It's a great movie; I wouldn't rank it among my personal favorites, but it's objectively excellent.
Rated 14 Feb 2007
The ease with which Kubrick ridicules absolutely everything about our precious civilized society is a bit disconcerting, but mostly it's hilarious.
Rated 24 Jul 2008
This is the strangest, most bizzare, controversial, spellbinding and satirical black comedy ever made. This is a masterpiece in every respect and one of Kubrick's best. Peter Seller's pulls off an amazing triple performance that is certainly Oscar worthy, and of course, George C. Scott is great too. Just a wonderful experience.
Rated 09 May 2008
Over 40 years old and the humour still feels modern and fresh.
Rated 30 Mar 2010
An offbeat sense of humor and twisted imagination of Kubrick presented the world, probably, the wildest dark comedy of all the times. Taking into consideration, that it was made in the pick of cold war, it just shows once again, how controversial Kubrick as a director was. Anyway, the film is the vast set of Seller's magnificent performance, memorable scenes and crazy dialogues. Can not think of any other movie I laughed so hard about the end of the world.
I'm sure I found this funnier than I should have. It is also a bit scary - perhaps it flies uncomfortably close to the reality of what goes on behind closed doors? Peter Sellers is awesome, but even better is George C. Scott. Tremendously entertaining stuff.
Rated 05 Feb 2007
Funniest film ever made about a nuclear holocaust, and quite possibly the funniest film ever, period. Peter Sellers is absolutely brilliant in three extremely different roles.
Rated 08 Jun 2009
(after repeat viewings) It amazes me how impeccable the writing is, Kubrick has conceived one hilarious and intelligent script and the performances are great. A goofy, satirical and genius take on the Cold War, the absurdity of nuclear warfare and its senseless main players. Maybe not as grand or operatic as his other films, but a classic nonetheless. Recommended!
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Sellers isn't as in the forefront as he is with some of his other films, but I think it is my favorite role of his. Hilarious and probably a little too close to home on the ridiculousness of the cold war.
Rated 21 Jan 2017
Still in 2017 very fresh and strong. One of its main strengths lies in its interpretation of militarism and power as inevitably intermingled terms with the logic of libidinal economy, patriarchy and fascism. To underline and reveal the logic of the latter, Kubrick uses the lightness of comedy, which enables the audience to question the miserable solemnity of politics, which is nothing but a sublimation of the flow of sexual-economic-power relations. A true classic.
Best comedy ever..
Rated 17 Sep 2021
Only Kubrick could think a 1950's novel documenting anxieties over the bomb & societal collapse would make a hilarious comedy. Cinematically, it's cool, especially the black & white look that echoes the era's television news footage. But Peter Sellers is the star here, getting laughs playing three different characters. Still, I think Film Bros miss how this is a damning indictment of toxic masculinity--beginning with a villain who blames a conspiracy for his own impotence. A great time capsule.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
What? No violence in the war room? Why, this is such a clever joke. Ha ha ha. Why aren't you laughing?
Rated 26 Aug 2019
Every time Peter Sellers spoke using his American accent it felt like a slap in the face. George C. Scott teeters between stone cold serious and holding laughs in hammy amazingly well.
Rated 25 Apr 2011
Everyone already knows this is brilliant. What's overlooked sometimes is that it's also damn hilarious. Even if nothing more than for the laughs (and there's a lot more to it than that), Strangelove is at very least a truly great hilarity.
Stanley Kubrick has/Massive balls for taking nukes/and making them jokes
Rated 18 Sep 2012
One of the absolute funniest comedies ever made. George C. Scott is a scene stealer throuhout the whole film, which is to say nothing of the hillarious work by Peter Sellers and Sterling Hayden ("precious bodily fluids"). My personal favorite Kubrick film.
Kubrick cannot be beaten; he is a master. Sellers is one of the greatest actors of all time. Combine the two, you cannot help but get a perfect film. Do you think you could turn the music down just a little?
Rated 11 Feb 2008
I never stopped worrying, and I hate the bomb, but I like this movie anyway...Except for all the fighting in the war room. We all know that's not allowed.
Rated 12 Jul 2009
Kubrick's satirical masterpiece. Sellers provides some memorable performances, George C. Scott is great, and Sterling Hayden is top-notch. Who doesn't love a little massive thermonuclear retaliation? "You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Rated 18 Dec 2016
Kubrick's classic satire of cold war paranoia is still a hilariously accurate portrayal of machismo and systemic stupidity in the political realm. The key to its success is its performances; rather than goof around, the actors play their parts relatively straight, which merely highlights the absurdity of their actions and thoughts and the consequences which result from them. While less extravagantly shot than other Kubrick classics, its stark sets bring the comedy into sharp focus.
Rated 16 Oct 2008
It's a classic, I know, but I guess I've just been born a few decades too late to get why it is so brilliant.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
Never a better black comedy than this cold war offering from Kubrick. Sellers three part trifecta is not matched in any film and George C. Scott shows his comedic talent. I love this movie.
Nothing can be said about Dr. Strangelove that has not already been said. Kubrick proved that he had a great sense of humor with this one. This managed to be less an anti-war movie than an anti-American military and government movie, and Peter Sellers turns in one of the funniest performances ever.
On automation and the difference between rationality and rationalisation, and on a kind of masculine libidinal derangement. Groundbreaking satire with great performances from Scott, Hayden and Sellers. Note that I LIVE IN FEAR, too, was originally intended as a satire, Kurosawa stating in 1964 that he had made his own nuclear film "too soon". See Ross, Psychopolitical Anaphylaxis, pp. 150–53.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
Seemed sorta ham-handed to me. Might well have hit the nail on the head for the time it was made though.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Dr. Strangelove might be the funniest film ever made, despite a paucity of laugh-out loud moments. The film is incredibly perceptive in its views of war, government and humanity while still understanding the importance of keeping the audience entertained.
Rated 20 Oct 2012
Yet another Kubrick movie I didn't really enjoy. Has some random moments of levity, but I wasn't entertained for very long. I appreciate it, I just didn't enjoy it. Some scenes really dragged, such as the B-52 scenes where they would just spout procedural jargon for 5 minutes straight.
Rated 04 Jul 2008
Stanley Kubrick, delivers the most memorable and insightful satire in cinematic history. Each character is dripping with sarcasm, irony and witty banter representing either some oddball or strange flaw and vice. The audience, cannot, refrain from laughing at the portrayal of some of the most audacious characterizations ever to grace the silver screen. Nevertheless, one realizes beneath the humor that a horrifying truth remains: nuclear annihilation is at the mercy of madmen.
Objectively excellent (you could even say perfect) but it doesn't quite thrill me.
Rated 09 Sep 2012
The film had an anti-American undertone, or a vein of Enlgish comedy that sees America as a land of buffoons. I'm not so sure now whether it feels like a funny film or a much more serious work struggling to find the right tone. The real imaginative energy in Strangelove was going to Ken Adam's brilliant, futuristic sets. This clash, or gap, between the tone of the action and the awesomeness of the physical world is not uncommon in Kubrick, but it is ruinous.
Rated 10 Jul 2019
Strangely enough, I read the script before watching the film. I actually preferred the script in many ways, which ends with a literal pie fight in the war room. However there are some pretty phenomenal performances in the film that definitely make it worth a watch.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
So good, I can barely talk about it. It would be doing it a disservice. Sellers and George C. Scott are absolutely hilarious and the themes have never been more timely. Kubrick's best, in my humble opinion.
Rated 14 Feb 2016
Devastatingly dark and scathingly satirical comedy ("10 to 20 million killed, tops"), brilliantly executed with biting irony (see the "Peace is Our Profession" sign amidst the gunfire; "You can't fight here, this is the War Room!"), goofy juxtaposition of the mundane and the life-or-death (see Mandrake's pay-phone call to the president), and visuals both horrifying and humorous (see Kong's bomb-ride and the final Vera Lynn-backed explosion montage). Sellers is stellar in his three roles.
Rated 26 Jul 2013
I don't get what people like so much about this film, it has some great jokes like "You can't fight in here! This is the war room!" But other than that it just doesn't have enough humor for the film duration. Boring film for me.
Rated 22 May 2007
Greatest satire committed to celluloid currently out there.
Rated 21 May 2016
The movie requires a rewatch or two for the full appreciation. One Peter Sellers is playing everybody and he still could have done another three characters easily. Furthermore, the story was delivered in 1964 and the fact itself creates the whole new layer of realism and gives weight to the jokes that had more than enough to start with. They are proper dark, always on the spot, brilliantly mixing small personal detail with global (in)significance. It is so very well done!
Rated 12 Oct 2009
We're all going to die because of men's sexual ineptitude... As truths goes it doesn't get more darkly humorous than that, especially not, when in the company of Scott, Hayden, Pickens and Sellers*3, and the capable hands of Kubrick.
Rated 04 Jul 2019
Love Peter sellers in this, amazing actor.
The most accessible work of one of the greatest American directors. The heart and soul of satire fuel this film.
Rated 29 Jul 2018
There's really nothing I can praise about this that hasn't already been said so I'm gonna use this space to remind you that George C. Scott got pranked into doing exaggerated takes that Kubrick claimed weren't gonna be included in the film and then Scott swore never to work with Kubrick again
Rated 30 Jun 2014
Everything was pretty good but it still wasn't really my kind of movie.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Wonderful satire about the cold war. Sellers on top form.
Rated 13 Aug 2013
I DON'T GET IT
Rated 07 Dec 2006
Brilliant black comedy. Peter Sellers is great in all three of his roles and Kubrick's directing is as solid as always.
Rated 07 Aug 2009
Almost completely perfect, but the problem is, funnily enough, the titular character. Dr. Strangelove stinks, I didn't find him funny in the slightest. Other than that fairly-big flaw, though, it's wonderful.
Rated 12 Mar 2013
"Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir." - in reference to a slip-up literally initiating nuclear bombings. Something something a few bad apples
Rated 01 Sep 2009
It has a few pacing problems close to the end of the movie, but those don't come close to undoing the magnificent acting of Peter Sellers, the hilariousness and dark irony of the plot, the great direction, the spot-on satire, or the absolutely sublime final sequence.
Rated 13 Feb 2016
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It doesn't have too many moments where you're dying of laughter, however, but it is beginning to end full of chuckles and laughs.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
I'm not sure what everyone seems to find so superb about this movie. Sure it's a satirical look at the Cold War that you're unlikely to forget, but... hmm... Maybe I'll have to watch it a second time some day to better appreciate it.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
Time has not been kind to this movie. I don't think I laughed once. The satire may have been groundbreaking at the time, but with the Cold War over, it's obvious and dated.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Dr. Strangelove is a great mix of comedy, drama, suspense, and mystery. It's just one of those movies that is so great in every respect that you can't help but to fall in love with it.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
Need to rewatch, but great.
Rated 31 Jan 2020
Ah, back in the olden days where those fools were worried about nuclear destruction. Not like us now. Glad we have solved that issue.
Rated 02 May 2013
Stanley Kubrick is the most overrated director of all time.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
"Mutually Assured Destruction" gets pied in the face with Kubrick's satirical look at the Cold War. Absolutely fabulous.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
So very hilarious, love the acting of Sellers and Scott.
Rated 21 Apr 2014
Kind of disappointed by this one - it was much more farcical than I expected. I loved the war room scenes and any scene where the general showed up, but the plane scenes, while effective at ratcheting up the tension, just weren't that interesting.
Rated 04 Nov 2007
My personal all time favorite. Incredible satire plus multiple amazing performances by Peter Sellers and one great one from GC Scott.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
The amount of talent behind this film is legendary. Never before or after has a film been so equally funny and relevant.
Rated 02 May 2007
Even decades removed from the anxieties of the Cold War, this black comedy still captures the absurdities of our political reality so acutely that it feels like it was made yesterday.
Rated 22 Apr 2018
Slightly confusing in places and would benefit greatly from a re watch. (Edit, it is better on a re-watch)
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Kubrick and Sellers make Dr. Strangelove the greatest and the most provocative black comedy ever made.
Rated 21 Feb 2010
Pretty much perfect and politically insightful satire made during an era when the cold war was serious business. Mein Fuhrer I can valk!
Rated 04 Nov 2015
This isn't my favorite film from Kubrick but I must say Dr. Strangelove is a precious kind of gallows humor.
Rated 12 Jun 2016
With humor that hinges on the avant-garde and characters that are both downright bizarre and ridiculously over-the-top, this Stanley Kubrick masterpiece highlights the absurdity of the Cold War in the best possible way.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Possibly my favourite movie of all time. Well crafted, sometimes hilarious, sometimes pensive, always slick. somehow it is ageless as well as a perfect example of its time.
Rated 05 May 2015
Couldn't stand Dr. Strangeloves acting.
Rated 28 Nov 2016
Such an odd film - a hangout movie set during the brink of nuclear apocalypse. There is the literal ticking time bomb, but most of the time we get to hang out with the President, the Flight Squadron, Ripper and Mandrake and get their thoughts on life and how to handle this uncomfortable situation. A wonderful use of comedy absurdism. Brilliant performances. A strangely fun movie. Perfect credit music cue.
Rated 29 Jan 2016
Purity of Essence
Rated 25 Jan 2007
A "nightmare comedy" that's made hilarious -- HILARIOUS -- thanks to Sellers and George C. Scott (and, in a more subtle manner, Slim Pickens. And Sterling Hayden. Hell, the entire supporting cast). There's a lot of silliness going on here, but everyone involved acts as if it were really happening. Mein Fuhrer! It's great!
Rated 14 Feb 2007
Excellence.Sellers steals the show in this laugh til it hurts comedy.
Rated 28 Mar 2016
It's probably my least favorite of all the Kubrick films I've seen so far and I still loved it. Peter Sellers is fantastic.
Rated 20 Jul 2015
Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers and Peter Sellers.
Rated 14 Jul 2015
Nobody ever talks about how much fun George C. Scott was in this film I liked him a lot in it. Not saying any of Peter Sellers' roles aren't as good, tho
Rated 01 Feb 2007
This is one of the best movies ever made. After trying to make it a serious film like Clockwork orange, it was unworkable as massive nuclear war was just too terrible. So instead, it's a black comedy, and the most brilliant one ever.
Rated 20 Aug 2015
Over half a century after its release, this still manages to be both amusing and horrifying to contemporary audiences. Much more dark satire than comedy farce, you can still imagine many of the war room conversations happening now, and must have been terrifyingly close to home back in the day. In fact the only real dud here is Dr. Strangelove himself: an overly-silly, irritating character that thankfully takes up far less screen time than his prominence in the title suggests.
Rated 12 Dec 2013
Random moments of brilliance interspersed with lengthy, uninteresting scenes; it requires a re-watch