2007
The mysterious and charismatic Russian-born Nikolai Luzhin is a driver for one of London's most notorious organized crime families of Eastern European origin. The family is part of the Vory V Zakone criminal brotherhood. Headed by Semyon--whose courtly charm as the welcoming proprietor of the plush Trans-Siberian restaurant impeccably masks a cold, brutal core--the family is tested by Semyon's volatile son and enforcer, Kirill, who is more tightly bound to Nikolai than to his own father. (Focus Features)

2007

Rated 16 Nov 2007
Cronenberg HAS to start writing his own scripts again. Even more disappointing than the previous one, this has so many implausible twists and turns it becomes quite ridiculous, perhaps intentionally. Aside from the infamous violent scenes, there's no real reason to watch this, and I'm still waiting for that once great director to find his new path in a more satisfying way.
Rated 31 May 2021
Viggo Mortensen was fantastic and it's made extremely well but the plot isn't perfect.
Rated 03 Mar 2008
Problem with Cronenberg abandoning his classic themes and style is, we end up with a a rather mediocre director very much stuck in the 80s with a quite impressive makeup team...so this movie is basically an 80s thriller with a bit of extra gore. Sadly, forgettable.
Rated 19 Mar 2008
If you're looking for "A History of Violence" don't look for it in "Eastern Promises". The film is a let-down after David Cronenberg's finest film. There are some good performances here (Viggo Mortnensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel, etc.) but I'm really not even sure why Cronenberg wanted to tell this story. It's sad and depressing. It's slow and boring. There's just not much here to get excited about.
Rated 08 Sep 2010
i expected more. -first -guys who made this film totally don't understand russian criminal world and their tattos -second -outside Mortensen there is not really much to see except probably some really realistic fight scenes
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Incredible film. Viggo Mortensen is fantastic. The tension and suspense are some of the best!
Rated 09 Jul 2008
They really could have made this a 4 hour movie, loved it. Just wished it was longer.
Rated 23 Sep 2016
Direct and cold film according to the theme. Excellent.
Rated 09 Jun 2011
This movie is really fantastic, more so than I remembered or appreciated the first time I watched it. First off the acting is incredible across the board: I have always liked the beautiful and talented Naomi Watts and she delivers here, but its Viggo Mortensen who really surprises with a performance I did not think he was capable of. His physicality is infinitely watchable in this film. Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl are significantly less well known actors, but they outshine the leads
Rated 11 May 2009
I liked this one, im a bit of Cronenberg fan so this and "A History of Violence" ranks high in my book.
Rated 27 Nov 2008
Fantastic, dark, gritty drama. Quite violent, but Viggo does a brilliant job in the lead.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
Obvious proof of Cronenberg's maturity and diversity as a director (on top of well integrated graphic violence), shows even more acting range in Viggo Mortinson and Naomi Watts.
Rated 08 Jul 2012
One of the few mafia films- at least that I've seen- that capture the antiquated and esoteric symbolism of the Russian crime Syndicate. It tells the story of a naive an virtuous nurse whose humanity within her gets her involved with very unsavory characters of the Vor V Zakone. The cinematography resonates bleak and violent pictures of Czarist Russian (even though they are in London) and Mortensen took careful measure to emulate the Russian "driver" well. It could've used another 35 minutes.
Rated 14 Jul 2008
I really thought these performances were average to weak. The film itself, just like A History of Violence, never justifies it's own existence. It just wants a platform to be violent.
Rated 24 Aug 2008
Excellent performances by Mortenson, the chick, and Meuller-Stahl. However, Mortenson's character's revelation, well it took a little to suspend my disbelief.
Rated 15 Jun 2022
Don't watch if you're looking for a casual crime movie to entertain yourself for two hours. This film had a dark story and was really good at telling it. Acting was awesome, the way actors carried themselves was really good and combined with well written deep characters, I couldn't help but empathize with literally every single one of them.
Rated 25 Jun 2010
fuck yeah
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Amazing acting, amazingly well written. Top tier.
Rated 07 Sep 2012
Can't wait for the next installment
Rated 21 Feb 2011
Viggo Mortensen is great as Nikolaj Luzhin and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire movie. Both Mortensen and Cassel play their roles to perfection and you could really feel the motivation behind both characters. I did however feel that the plot, at times, was rather rushed and the semi-twist as the ending seemed just kinda thrown in there. The only reason I could live with it was that it gave Mortensen's character more depth. Whatever rush there was, was saved by the ending.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Sometimes teeth-grittingly violent, this movie is a less-operatic Godfather of the Russian mob. Like most Cronenberg films, he doesn't try to explain everything down to the last detail, but leaves you with any number of open topics to ponder after the credits roll.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
Intense. I liked it.
Rated 02 Mar 2008
This movie has the best fighting scene I've ever saw.
Rated 02 Oct 2007
It's best that you avoid spoilers at all costs, but this movie is less about what happens than about why it happens. Cronenberg wrings tension out of restrained scenes where characters both seedy and pure try not to say too much; then, in one virtuoso sequence, he lets loose with a fight that will be looked upon with reverence for years to come. By the end of the movie, our nerves have been frayed to the roots as we realize that anything could happen before the credits roll. Great stuff.
Rated 05 Nov 2007
Not quite as Cronenbergish as one could hope but still very intriguing and well-played. Big for Mortensen. After LOTR I though this guy really can't play. Well he proved can, a big one.
Rated 21 Dec 2010
A very good movie. Gritty and unforgiving. Viggo Mortensen played the role of Russian mobster/undercover agent Nikolai flawlessly. Naomi Watts plays nursemaid caught in the middle, Anna.
Rated 22 Sep 2007
Unerrving crime saga with a beguiling structure that reveals more upon a second glance.
Rated 03 Aug 2011
The fight scene at the end is brutally one of a kind.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
Great Acting by Viggo Mortense Saves a decent movie.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
An engaging flick.
Rated 04 Jan 2008
A great movie, if somewhat predictable. Viggo does an amazing job, and Vincent Cassel rivals his performance. In the end, though, it can pretty much be summed up in three words: Viggo's Floppy Wang...
Rated 14 Aug 2008
Mortensen great in this - Semyons character portrayed well too. Slightly ruined by semi schmultzy ending
Rated 30 Mar 2009
good but not great Iike roigroigroig said
Rated 24 Oct 2007
Viggo is perfect for this role... this mind you is a very very violent, graphic film. I'm always a huge fan of good mob movies, especially when it involves assassins. Viggo plays the Russian mob driver perfectly and in my opinion should get nominated for an Oscar.
Rated 04 Oct 2009
It's terrible. It's pathetic. It's predictable, the plot is strait forward from the introduction scenes. It's full of cliches. It insults the real victims by presenting all as a comics, and pretending to be trustworthy in the same time. The sreenplay writer simply didn't do his homework to reveal the facts his story relies on. Russians are way more complicated. The crime reality is way more cinical. The truth is uglier than the throat-cutting closeups.
Rated 06 Aug 2008
Good acting, realistic, but I didn't really care for the story
Rated 08 Feb 2008
i was not impressed
Rated 27 Mar 2014
Muy buena actuacion del genio de Viggo Mortensen. Realmente atrapante.