2010
Romance
High school is the setting for this freewheeling comedic twist on Nathaniel Hawthorne's 19th-century novel The Scarlet Letter. Ambitious student Olive (Emma Stone) decides to boost her popularity by pretending to be the school slut. As the school's swirling rumor mill increases both her notoriety and her finances, Olive enjoys her newfound status but eventually must decide which is more important: popularity or self-esteem.

2010
Romance

Rated 23 Sep 2010
This is pretty much the first movie of its kind I've enjoyed since Mean Girls. It has very good writing, acting and even managed for me not to vomit at Breakfast Club references. Emma Stone is an actress on the rise (though there are lots of good turns here) and for me Stanley Tucci was brilliant. Must say, I really enjoyed it.
Rated 18 Sep 2010
A rather unique first person narrative, Easy A manages to put a small twist on the traditional high school comedy and turn what would otherwise be just-another-teenage-comedy into a cheerful experience. Though cheesy at moments, its cliched nature has a sort of charm that allows it to plow past a few moments of awkwardness and march on. Luckily, this movie doesn't take itself too seriously, allowing Gluck to produce a fun, light-hearted flick that at times touches on some serious issues. Bravo.
Rated 22 Nov 2010
Not the worst movie I've seen but am I really supposed to care about this character because she says witty shit 24/7? News flash, you are unpopular cause you are a raging bitch. Amanda Bynes looks like ass and my retroactive 11 year old brain did not understand. If you like people saying super sarcastic witty things then you will love this movie. Seriously, do the filmmakers not understand that high schoolers, let alone nearly anybody, do not speak like this in real life? fuck
Rated 22 Dec 2011
Best of its kind since 'Mean Girls', for sure, and it's even better. Bringing that movie's awareness of genre trappings together with the schmaltz-free sweetness of, say, 'Juno' and adding intertextual references as fast as 'Clueless', this will without a doubt remain one of the most enjoyable movie-going experiences of the year. People were laughing out loud at the wicked, smart writing. Leading a game cast is Emma Stone in a star-making turn, only surpassed by Tucci, the embodiment of cool.
Rated 15 Jan 2011
Yes, I'm rating this tier 10. I just... y'know... it's wonderful. Certain flaws of varying size & degrees of annoyance don't matter - there's so much heart, soul and Stanley Tucci on display here, that I'm going to go out on a limb and say best high school romantic comedy ever made. I'm not ashamed to admit that Emma Stone managed to bring me near the verge of tears with some almost shockingly solid acting. frederic_g54 says semi-lovable, and he's at least half right; Utterly lovable.
Rated 02 Oct 2010
At times breathtakingly witty writing - and perhaps the downright funniest movie of the year? This at turns endearing, at turns scathing and intertextually rich (without being obnoxiously so a la "Juno") story about reputation and basic survival in high school even manages to convey a real message in between (all the) laughs. The selfconscious writing turns clichées on their heads. Emma Stone is at her career-defining best surrounded by a impeccable cast. Tucci steals every scene he's in.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
Semi-lovable teen comedy. Stone displays some undeniable screen presence and Tucci/Clarkson are appealing as her dysfunctional parents. A shame the film suffers from the same lack of self-esteem as her impetuous main character, somewhat overreliant upon older teen comedies references. And can anyone tell me what's wrong with Amanda Bynes' face ?!
Rated 05 Dec 2010
Stanley fucking Tucci, yet again I bow to your brilliance. And hey, the rest of the movie is close to equally sharp and hilarious - especially in the first half. Golden Globes, here's your comedy/musical category favourite.
Rated 14 Dec 2010
Tries to be the new generation's John Hughes; and yeah, it definitely achieves that.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Better than I expected. This has both some great characters and some great direction at many parts. However, the "good" characters (like Emma's family) are given all the great lines, so the other characters are left as walking cliches. Also, it manages to get away with some of its overused plot devices through comedic self-awareness.
Rated 01 Nov 2010
Difficult to rate, honestly. It's moderately clever/amusing but I didn't find it particularly memorable or engaging. It loses points for some sitcomy drama, a weak voice-over narration, a predictable and unsatisfying ending, and for featuring Lisa Kudrow. Still, for a teen comedy, it has an above-average premise and some fine performances.
Rated 23 Nov 2010
Didn't anyone tell Amanda Bynes you're NOT supposed to get Botox injections in your 20s?
Rated 30 Nov 2010
Another preppy teen girl comedy. In this one Olive (Emma Stone), who interestingly is perfect in both mind and body and even has surreally great parents, but is still a virgin, prostitutes herself in reputation only by letting guys tell people she put out to them in exchange for coupons. I've seen worse written movies, and if this wasn't so extremely standard and consumer-oriented, it might potentially have unearthed a few insights about gender, and male sexual behavior in particular.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
Every time Tucci opens his mouth is golden, but I just kept having problems buying into this. Yeah yeah it's a movie, but at times it's just too witty/ridiculous for its own good. I certainly don't remember sex being as big a deal in high school as it is presented here. Still it does provide some good entertainment and the cast is pretty strong, leaving only the lingering question of what the hell happened to Amanda Bynes?
Rated 09 Feb 2011
It's fun with the occasional sharp, astute dialogue and Emma Stone is just great. But it does have a couple of missteps. Some characters, especially the Christian extremists, are painfully caricature-like. And the pop songs used in the film were a bit excessive and at times, did not match the mood of the situation. But for what it is, it's good enough.
Rated 19 Sep 2010
Pretty good! Marries strong comic set pieces to a clever story with a satisfying resolution and a solid leading performance from Emma Stone. The problem is that pesky PG-13 rating, something the success of Superbad should have convinced studios they don't need to make money on a teen comedy. For a movie entirely focused around sex it's annoying and borderline weird that the teens are so clean-mouthed (and, indeed, 40 or so "fucks" were cut from the initial shooting script).
Rated 12 Nov 2010
This is something! I could point out some parts the film lacked at, but I won't, because it doesn't really matter. It's fun and with great references.
Rated 13 Nov 2010
It's definately above most teen comedies, and it's actually quite fun to watch; it even mocks the genre itself on some parts; the problem is that it's still in the total limitations of the genre; racist and Christian jokes are fun, but don't really separate the film from other cheap comedies. If it could raise above the teen comedy mould, it'd be a total hit! Now it's above-average teen movie with good references and annoying soundtrack.
Rated 24 Nov 2010
Painfully unfunny....and a stupid premise.
Rated 05 Dec 2010
SO...BORING
Rated 16 Dec 2010
Very funny writing. Laughed out loud at times. At first I thought this would be just another high school flick but that it would be so witty, I really didn't expect. Tucci has increasingly become one of my favorite actors.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
General annoyances and clichés aside, it's pretty good. Comedy's slick and sharp, acting's top notch and even the soundtrack was rather impressive.
Rated 24 Jan 2011
Surprisingly good. Easy A is the Scream of teen movies, like Scream it mocks an entire genre while still managing to stick to the rule set of said genre. Funny, witty and with a cast of supporting "grown ups" who actually contribute to the story. Stone is lovable as both a sweet girl and a tramp. Haden Church is cooler than cool and Patricia Clarkson and the ever great Stanley Tucci steal every scene they're in as the best and funniest parents ever. Best teen movie since Mean Girls.
Rated 18 Sep 2010
Surprisingly well written dialogue, supporting cast is great, especially the parents. Some awkwardness, lots of laughs, fun movie.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
I love 'Easy A' more than I should. It's a really okay movie. It leans a little bit heavily, not only on its pop culture references that will date it by the time it comes out on DVD, but the use of nostalgia. Particularly, towards '80s teen movies, mostly by John Hughes. The one thing I love about those '80s movies is that they remind me of the innocence of meeting my girlfriend and why I fell for her. This movie does the same thing. If not the nostalgia, I'd have to credit Emma Stone for that.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Emma Stone rocks this movie hard, and Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson steal every one of their scenes. Up there with Mean Girls as one of the better and funnier teen comedies with a brain.
Rated 17 Oct 2010
Darn good comedy. The parents stole the show, however, Emma Stone has proved her worth, and I hope to see greatest from her continue.
Rated 04 Nov 2010
Couldn't this have been made with just Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci and Thomas Haden Church?
Rated 08 Nov 2010
And the award for "Shock Of The Year That I Really Loved This Movie" goes to Easy A! I ragged on this flick consistently from the minute I saw the first trailer; often employing the remark "Well, their big payoff line (the one about Tom Cruise) doesn't get any laughs, this flick is doomed.", but I am oh so happy that I took the chance on seeing it. Very funny, genuine, perfectly-put-together comedy about sex, deception, and the desire to be noticed, with just the right dramatic and social touch.
Rated 13 Nov 2010
Above my expectations (based on regular teen comedies). Although it has mistakes, it has also got good humour. Special mention deserve Tucci's and partly Stone's great performance. All that this film lacks is one big mindfuck in the end(my suggestion? Olive should become lesbian/geek :P).
Rated 17 Nov 2010
A surpisingly hilarious un-cliched high school comedy with a stellar cast.
Rated 20 Nov 2010
Emma Stone made this film quite enjoyable to watch. She is on her way to becoming one of hollywoods funniest young actresses. She has such good screen presence. The story made sense as well, the humor was there and that cannot be denied. There was enough going in on Easy A to keep your attention, but not too much that you got lost. Overall Easy A is a solid film, funny, good acting, interesting premise and very relevant to todays culture and society. Easy A will make you a fan of Emma Stone.
Rated 18 Oct 2011
The thing that's often most obviously missing from 'teen' comedy is wit. Genuine, linguistic, clever, witty wit. This has it in spades, from a well-written script to Emma Stone's (and many supporting actors') delivery. An interesting and original take on the well worn themes of popularity, acceptance and struggles with sexuality that are often clumsily dealt with in such films. Loved it.
Rated 12 Apr 2012
There should be something similar to parental advisory just for men. This sucked.
gotta love this one ...
Rated 09 Jan 2013
Meh. Emma Stone is pretty adorable but the plot is poorly constructed, the pacing is erratic, and it tries so hard to be a new generation's Ferris Beuller that it ends up stretching itself in too many directions. A very flat film.
Rated 30 Nov 2010
Maybe the most surprising movie in the last few month and repartee has a new face, Emma Stone. Most of the dialogues are definitely surpassing, especially for this kind of film, which is greatly entertaining from the first minute until the final cut. Don't miss this one!
Rated 04 Dec 2010
Stanley Tucci is the MAN!!
Rated 13 Jul 2012
Emma Stone makes Easy A a worth watching film for adult and teen film goers. In result, it's a fun comedy and what turns out to be a smart plot.
Rated 16 Dec 2010
Emma Stone is definitely very charming in the lead, but this movie just felt like it was missing something to me. The movie is primarily about Stone, but the supporting characters don't get enough screen time and development. Church is likeable, but you don't see enough of him or Kudrow to care. Todd seems nice and charming, but you don't see enough of him to care at the end. The references are funny, the characters are good, but I just think they tried to do too much without enough time.
Rated 23 Dec 2010
Yeah, it was decent. It had some funny bits but there were also times when it tried way, way too hard. The throwing the ice cream at the truck was the best part.
Rated 23 Dec 2010
Okay, so I have to admit it - I love teen movies, especially John Hughes films. But even though I love these movies I can't deny that most of them are not very intelligent - aside from the Hughes' films. But with Easy A it finally has happened - a just really pretty entertaining and at the same time very intelligent film that had been made in the new millenium. That just made me laugh my arse of - in an very intellectual way. Oh, and btw - Emma Stone is damn hot. Oh yes, she is.
Rated 15 Nov 2011
this movie gets dumber and dumber. whis is a shame, considering how awesome Emma Stone is in this.
Rated 02 Oct 2011
"Easy A" has a very simplistic storyline, but it's extremely entertaining. The cast is superb, especially Stone, Tucci, Clarkson and Kudrow, while there is a stunning amount of memorable jokes. One of the best comedies of recent years.
Rated 26 Dec 2010
Although unconventional in a quirky indie chick flick kind of way, it can't help overdoing all the conventional stuff, which doesn't serve it well. The dialogue is witty, and primarily the supporting adult actors do a wonderful job - but it's just not that good. The first 20 minutes or so, you're stunned by how well its constructed, but to fill the shoes of a standard indie-highschool-teen-movie, it apparently has to include all the cliché laden elements of the genre. Too Bad..
Rated 28 Dec 2010
A combination of cliched characters and a plethora of unrealistic dialogue bring down what could have been a great teen comedy. It's still funny and worth the watch, but you have this feeling it could have been much better.
Rated 05 Dec 2012
Mmmm I wanted to like this movie but, it just wasn't funny. At all. It was trying wayyy too hard to sit somewhere between quirky, indie teen flick (Juno) and funny, girly teen flick (Mean Girls) but failed at both. Emma Stone is not bad, but not that interesting either. Her character was not like-able or believe-able.
Rated 02 Jan 2011
A surprisingly enjoyable and witty comedy. This film doesn't take itself too seriously and pokes fun at it's whole genre, thereby taking the sting out of the clichés. Emma Stone was perfect for this role and didn't overplay it, which would have been easy to do.
Rated 02 Jan 2011
Too many boring and illogical scenes to be a "Mean Girls" killer or a female "Superbad" (And considering those two movies, that means a lot). At least it has the same tone as the two movies so whatever. PS: What public school makes this big of a storm over one girl getting laid? And when can Emma Stone complain of a lack of male attention?
Rated 08 Jan 2011
Some genuinely entertaining moments and definitely worth a watch if you enjoy teenage movies like Mean Girls or 10 Things I Hate About You (aka. the clever ones). While this doesn't stack up quite as well to the two I listed earlier, and it has a really hokey ending to boot, overall it's a teenage film that more than just teenagers can enjoy.
Rated 10 Jan 2011
Stanley Tucci and Patrica Clarkson were great as the parents, they made me laugh with just about every line they uttered, Emma Stone also showing that she's a decent comedic actress. I Quite enjoyed it, even more so than mean girls.
Rated 25 Mar 2022
All time spent with the family is great and it has some pretty funny gags, but I also found it a bit annoying at times.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
Annoyingly charming and very enjoyable indie-mainstream high school flick. Witty dialogue and and intertextuality galore. May your popcorn be perfectly salted and your cola cold and bubbly when you go to see this.
Rated 29 Jan 2011
Probably the funniest movie I've seen this year. Occasionally cliched, and Tucci and Clarkson's characters are a little TOO goofy, but the characters are all at least a little sympathetic, the story is well-paced and nearly all of the humor is spot-on.
Rated 31 Jan 2011
It's scary how much Stone reminds me of Lindsay Lohan from Mean Girls (another movie I liked way more then I thought I would), hopefully she doesn't go down the same path. Tucci was funny esp. with his spelling peas. Stone's mannerism and attitude actually had me laughing, which I think scared my date. It might be tough to defend her as a great comedic actress, but I tried. Look I am not proud of it, but I will continue to find these movies as a guilty pleasure. Only Mean Girls tops it.
Rated 08 Feb 2011
A pleasant surprise with some funny lines by almost all characters. This movie was kind of simple movie to watch on a friday night no need to rack your brain. Emma Stone is really adorable especially in this movie.
Rated 23 Sep 2012
it's true that i have a soft spot for Stone and her gigantic dolphin forehead, but you gotta hand it to her, she's pretty much nailed this one. and the best thing is, though disguised as a high school comedy, this film tackles some serious issues, the extreme ends of puritanism and the obsession of sex in today's society, and it does it in a cool, under the radar kinda way. The stellar supporting cast (Kudrow, McDowell, Tucci and Clarkson) lift it another notch as well. A definite surprise hit.
Rated 15 Jan 2012
It didn't blow my mind or push me intellectually or anything, but it was fun. I thought Emma Stone did a fantastic job carrying the film. She's very charming and funny, plus, I must say, pretty hot. I also found Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci as her parents very amusing. It had several laugh-out-loud moments for me and it was a little different from your average teen movie. I think it's a good choice for some light entertainment.
Rated 22 Apr 2011
I really liked it. This was done real well, and surpassed the limitations of most movies like this. Like Mean Girls, everyone will find something they like about this movie.
Rated 21 Aug 2011
Cute & clever, well-done, self-aware, and multi-layered.
Rated 23 May 2011
Horribly inaccurate representation High School sex. It wouldn't even work as a satire. It's also just not very funny, or good.
Rated 27 May 2015
Awfully funny dialogue, though the plot itself is bleh.
Rated 10 May 2011
50--thanks to the parents.
Rated 20 May 2011
I enjoyed this one. Stone was adorable, and I love that she played a somewhat intellectual person. I dug the nods to the Hughes movies of the 80s, and I loved the quirkiness of the parents and the teacher. Didn't like Bynes as the villain, but not because of her acting, just because I like her as an actress.
Rated 30 May 2014
Easy come. Easy go. Easy A.
Rated 10 Oct 2010
Uses cliched villains to get its point across. If you can get past that, however, you'll find a fun and witty story with some memorable characters and truly enjoyable moments.
Rated 06 Mar 2013
Your average high school shenanigans comedy. I'm not really an Emma Stone fan but she does have a better performance here than anything else I've seen her in. The movie centers around her so there's not quite as much of the "fun" or craziness you get with an ensemble cast - the supporting characters are quite weak or minimal. Kind of like a Mean Girls rehash but not nearly as good.
Rated 26 May 2012
So Brilliant. Emma Stone is the new star in town-sassy, smart, intelligent, rooted, funny, beautiful inside and out-and she is fishing for the A Grade! Watch it and keep a copy at home!
Rated 18 Dec 2011
How could I say anything bad about Emma Stone? My friend actually just told me the night before how he was re-watching this because of her. She's a great actress and this was an entertaining film.
Rated 23 Nov 2010
The premise is absurd but I like the way the film rolls with it. Emma Stone is certainly a big part of what makes it work but the older supporting cast helps too with some really nice moments.
Rated 13 May 2019
This is probably one of the films I've most rewatched in my lifetime. I was even shown this in high school. Aside from all that, I love this. I think you see a lot of teen/coming to age films depict school in such unrealistic ways. Probably stems from older writers not understanding today's generation. However, there is so much right with a film like this, and being that it took its inspiration from "The Scarlett Letter" it's in own unique way, it really did it justice for its material
Rated 28 Feb 2013
Pretty decent story and acting. Of course, Stanley Tucci is brilliant in anything, and it was nice to see Lisa Kudrow in a dramatic role. Once you have seen some John Hughes films, it makes the film a lot better. Very intelligent film
Rated 04 Sep 2013
Emma Stone makes it funny
Rated 27 Nov 2010
The conclusion is a little facile, but the main character is charming (as are the parents) and ultimately the message to young women is positive and uplifting. That the dialogue is contrived isn't that big of a deal, there are some people out there sharp enough to talk like that in real time. Not all the time, but it happens. And who cares if fantasy is better than life? Fuck life.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
I'm really liking this new wave of films about the utmost patheticness of purely sex-orientated teenagers (someone's gotta have to come up with a name for this wave). Unlike a certain other film of this wave released recently, we really get into the headspace of our main character to discover why she makes these ridiculous decisions and we find out that amongst the highly communicative inner workings of the teenage world, a little leak can easily become a lake.
Rated 05 May 2024
This isn't a silly teen comedy. It is smartly written, though some the characters are cliches, and Emma Stone shines.
Rated 02 Dec 2010
Had fun. Sprinkled with some clever writing. Emma stone gives a decent performance though there is potential for more. Lisa Kudrow - gives a 'what are doing here in this movie?' performance. Bad casting. Bad acting. The sandman-from-spiderman starts off with a decent performance but then falls flat towards the end. Overall the film could have used a few more revisions - in writing & acting. Compared to this, I enjoyed 'Mean Girls' much more and I think I will remember it more than this one.
Rated 20 Dec 2010
boring. did not affect me.
Rated 21 Dec 2010
Very good high school comedy. Quite clever and funny even if I never laughed out loud. Tucci and Clarkson are great.
Rated 01 Dec 2020
Easy A adeptly transcends your average high school comedy with a hilarious and interesting story about perception and misinformation, one that is completely elevated by Emma Stone's fantastic performance.
Rated 27 Dec 2010
Rated 27 Dec 2010
Much better than I expected it would be and easily the best Teen-Romance Comedy that has come out in years. By far the funniest movie I've seen all year.
Rated 06 Oct 2013
Mixed bag. Dialogue heavy and funny only if you really like christian-baiting, the [american psycho]-like lists of brand-names really irked. Stone was especially charismatic and some others did great too but, despite it's subversive pretensions by the end it actually endorses that strange american obsession with virginity.
Rated 08 Jun 2014
Some genuinely good comedy is desperately trying to squize itself through this mess of a movie. There were many momets when I laughed out loud but then even more where I felt confused and frustrated. Emma Stone is trying hard to carry this movie (and doing a very good job!) but in the end the film fails.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
Actually enjoyed this film more than I thought I would. Liked the performance of just about everyone in this film, even Thomas Haden Church, something about his acting from 'All About Steve' has irked me. Comedy was good and Emma Stone was no slouch herself.
Rated 04 Jan 2011
A sappy teen comedy filled with lots of moments where I felt horribly embarrassed to be watching the movie. And also, it's good.
Rated 27 Sep 2016
It is little a bit cliche but still works. Cast is fine. Plot twist and relationship detains are also fine. And humor is the most powerfull tool in this film. So ı like it.. Its not a new fresh thing in the air or great socialogical script but still fine to me.
Rated 21 Nov 2012
caught this on a movie channel. was not impressed.
Rated 23 Feb 2012
Light and fluffy entertainment. The parents were funny.
Rated 19 Jan 2015
Am I the only person on Earth not consistently charmed by Emma Stone's forced, "wacky," "witty" antics?
Rated 04 Nov 2012
The best of this sort since 'Mean Girls'.
Rated 28 Jan 2012
Well-put-together with lots of memorable characters -- or should I say caricatures. The dialog is a bit over-written and contrived, but this is in some ways part of the charm of this film. The plot is well-written and flows nicely. Emma Stone has a remarkable stage presence and commands every scene she's in.
Rated 02 Nov 2011
Decent teen comedies are few and far between, it's nice to see something with half decent writing arrive.
Rated 21 Jan 2011
I kinda got annoyed with cleverness of the dialogue. It was unnatural. Ok movie otherwise.
Rated 31 Aug 2011
It's got all the funny and rewarding elements of the 1980s comedies and all, but the movie doesn't rely on these references -- thank God it doesn't, or it would be really boring. Emma Stone is a real charming star as this high school fake slut, those Jesus freaks are goddam funny, and her parents (Clarkson, Tucci) are, and I have no doubt of that, the coolest guys on earth.
Rated 25 Oct 2011
A sterling performance from Emma Stone and a gut-bustingly funny, self-aware screenplay make this one of the strongest comedies of recent years.
Rated 21 Feb 2011
emma stone sort of makes it all bearable, though everything just reeks of this supposedly cool-teen-marketing, where they tend to mix up flamboyance with individuality more often than not. this goes right down to the super laid-back, ever-quipping parents, which, i must admit, had me once or twice. it's not a total waste of time, i guess.
Rated 27 Feb 2011
Dla młodszych może być dobre kino.
Rated 07 Jul 2015
Delightfully funny, especially the family scenes, and Stone more than carries it. Is it perfect? No, but I'll tell ya, it's just as good (if not better than) as most of those John Hughes movies.
Rated 27 Apr 2011
Pretty unique/interesting highschool film! That managed to dodge most of the ditziness!