Eight Men Out

Eight Men Out

1988
Sport

Rated 05 Oct 2010
Perhaps better known as "That one baseball movie that doesn't suck", Eight Men Out is a fine, fact-based slice of americana with a decidedly dark undercurrent. With an outstanding cast and atmosphere that oozes authenticity, Sayles knocks this one out of the park (SEE WHAT I FUCKING DID THERE?! THAT'S RIGHT!!! I MADE A REFERENCE TO THE SPORT DEPICTED - IN - THE MOVIE!!! I just... fucking... rule. I truly fucking do. You guys should all send me money).
Rated 01 May 2018
A worthy big screen version of one of the most notorious scandals in baseball history. There are solid if unspectacular performances from the cast and I'm unsure whether it would hold the interest of non sports fans, but for it's intended audience Eight Men Out hits an impressive double
Rated 29 Nov 2012
I couldn't care less about baseball, but I find myself mesmerized by movies of baseball in it's earlier years. I find no reason to defend myself considering that Sayles wrote and directed a fine movie, and every one of it's number of recognizable players puts on a great show.
Rated 09 Jul 2019
Hadn't actually watched this in 20 years. Last watched it at my grandpa's house on VHS and was immediately drawn to the history of the game and the relation it has with so many people. This isn't a great movie but who cares. Many things have changed even the black Sox were able to win one. But one thing remains the same. Only a fool would doubt the Seattle Mariners. One day. One day.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
Very nice period film with a strong cast. I went into this knowing nothing about this little piece of history so I can't comment on the historical accuracy. As a film, though, it works very well; and because of the type of story it is we end up with a unique sports movie that avoids most of the overused tropes of the genre. Could have shortened the courtroom bit toward the end, but generally the film is well done.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Ok lets clear things up. I am fan of baseball and baseball history. Now I had a friend of mine known around these parts as "hellsditch" who tells me he doesn't like watching movies based on true events when you can just watch the documentary. I never really agreed with this until I started watching this movie. I feel like this would be a good movie to show to a 5th Grade Class when it rains on Field Day, but don't dumb the movie down for me. Don't treat me like a child. Cusack was good.
Great sports movie detailing the Black Sox Scandal. A must see for any baseball fan with an interest in America's Pastime during one of its darkest moments.
If you're a fan of baseball, you owe it to yourself to see this movie. It's not comedic like something like Major League, but that's not the draw here. The cast is amazing, as you can feel the pain from characters like Cusack's.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
First, I don't know the "real" story, so I'm not judging this on facts. As a movie, I thought this was compelling and well-cast. The baseball scenes were carefully constructed and played well by the actors. My favorite part of the movie was how it showed WHY these guys were driven to cheat, and how they felt they were justified in doing so. This was not simply a case of out-and-out greed on the player's part, but of a group of slighted men taking--what they thought--was rightfully owed to them.
Rated 16 May 2021
Riveting, gripping drama provides a richly atmospheric evocation of time and place, capped by a murderer's row supporting cast; a slimily venal Tighe and "clean-cut" Cusack stand out. Greatest strength is Sayles' screenplay, charting credible motivations for his characters; even James' potentially corruptible owner is seen in comparatively sympathetic terms. Final courtroom theatrics indulge in too much speechifying, but cannot sour the impact of this quietly heartbreaking story.
Pretty decent baseball drama that eschews the standard sports movie cliche of ending the movie with the team winning the big game. I like that.
Rated 17 Oct 2011
Good.
Rated 24 Jul 2020
Viewed July 22, 2020.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Some mistakes are made but Sayles makes a pretty decent story out of it.
Rated 31 Jan 2010
Effective film about the Black Sox scandal from a left-wing perspective.
Rated 03 Apr 2017
C+
Rated 07 Oct 2013
Best baseball movie!!
Rated 17 Nov 2007
One of John Sayles' more interesting ventures (which is saying a lot). But I'm a baseball nut anyway. An excellent companion to "Field of Dreams," by the way. You get to learn more about Shoeless Joe and the rest.
Rated 11 Apr 2024
Rated 29 Jan 2012
I didn't know too many details about the scandal beforehand, and I understand this was a dramatization; but, it was interesting to learn more about who was involved and who wasn't, the motives, and how the whole incident went down. The filmmaking is good here, but I could've done without the courtroom drama at the end.
Rated 03 Jun 2017
Pretty good watch if you are a fan of sports movies or baseball.
Rated 07 Jun 2012
Dull as dishwater.
Rated 16 Mar 2017
Nice performances (take a bow, Lloyd and Mahoney), but who the hell cares about movies about sports? Not me.
Rated 13 Dec 2009
A superb ensemble cast, which includes Sayles as Ring Lardner, shines in this true-life shocker, with Strathairn and Cusack giving standout performances.
Rated 13 Aug 2013
Good film.
Rated 21 Dec 2011
This is a good movie. No one really stands out in this movie but the story is interesting. It is a good ensemble piece.
Rated 28 Sep 2010
Pretty solid sports flick. I would have preferred a score comprised of something other than canned marching band/ jazz music though.
Exceptional baseball movie. John Cusack is great as Buck Weaver and DB Sweeney does a good job as Shoeless Joe Jackson ( although Ray Liotta is who I think about when I hear Shoeless Joe's name). From what I 've read ,seems to be historically accurate for the most part
Rated 15 Apr 2024
Not bad. Decent acting performances. Decent story . Just decent. Not great at anything. Will probably forget about it in 24 hours.
Rated 24 Jun 2020
Cliche and boring. The story itself isn't terribly fascinating and the film manages to emphatically drive that point home. Absolutely zero creative vision from John Sayles. I can appreciate a good baseball film, but this isn't one of them. Very dull.
Rated 08 Dec 2009
Sayles perfectly captures the feelings of dissatisfaction an exploited employee feels for his cheap and unscrupulous boss as well as the reverence felt for the players by the fans. Lush period detail (done on Sayles's usual low budget) and a brisk pace.
Rated 20 Mar 2020