Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

2005
Documentary

Rated 13 Sep 2013
Although an interesting and pertinent subject matter, it was quite dull in it's telling. The whole thing was far too wordy but attempts to glam it up seemed out of place.
Rated 10 May 2012
Wow, watching this is like diving into a rabbit hole. And the deeper you go the more crazy it gets. This is the modern tale of Alice in Wonderland. Unbelievable stuff.
Rated 03 Dec 2009
Gibney's diatribe against the massive energy conglomerate that was the poster child for corporate malfeasance is, ironically enough, too relentlessly hateful to become an effective damnation of the criminals he depicts. Gibney's litany of complaints, which includes everything up to the personal sins of corporate suite residents, becomes numbing, generating boredom instead of fury. There's a story there worth telling, and worth telling forcefully, making Gibney's film a sadly wasted opportunity.
Those mother-fuckers!!!
Rated 24 Jul 2014
It's hard to have any anger left over when this sort of thing (not exactly the same , but blatant illegalities fucking over the working class , sheerly for the gain of a few) happens with frequent occurrence. Still , it is a sharp, efficient presentation and well worth seeing.
Rated 01 Oct 2023
Ask Why. The stock price must go up. The only thing that matters is making money. When told to do wrong, that it is right thing to do because the only thing that matters is making the company money people will act that way. Enron distilled Capitalism. This is capitalism. Ask Why.
Rated 04 Mar 2011
I think the reason why this doc is so entertaining is because it happened after the whole story was revealed and they kinda of gave it this "Behind The Music" style rundown which made it fun to watch. Some of the dramatized re-enactments, like the strip club and the suicide scene to name a couple, added to the scandalous buildup to the whole thing. Does it remove some of the credibility? Perhaps insignificantly. Does it make it fun to watch? Absolutely.
Rated 03 Feb 2012
One of the most enraging docs I have ever seen and in spite of my own libertarian leanings I must say it really provides a shining example of the dangers involved in deregulation, which clearly just doesn't work when people aren't willing to grab their pitchforks and torches! This movie had me trying to remember where I left mine.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Distressing and provoking. If a business can divert necessary electricity off your grid for hyper-profit as well as affect the term of a State Governor, the spawn of capitalism has literally let the power get to its head. This is one atrocity that has been picked apart forensically after the fact and it's dispiriting to acknowledge that this internal rotting turned collapse of a major corporation most likely will happen again.
Rated 25 Feb 2010
Effective presentation of the way in which speculation destroys investment, and capitalism takes on an increasingly mafia-esque character.
Rated 07 Sep 2010
A well put together documentary showcasing all the horrors of the corporate world. Going beneath the surface of greed it gives you some great insight and perspective on the megalomaniacs who seek glory for their own good.
Due to its use of interviews and thorough ground-up explaining of the inner workings of the Enron scandal many of us may not have fully understood, this is a finer documentary than any of Moore's, yet simultaneously inspiring more anger than them too. Oh, and Ken Lay died, so we win. Awesome.
Real criminals in action. Devistating.
If you want to see a good documentary, watch this. If you're curious about Enron, watch this. But most of all: If you want to get really angry, sit down and watch this.
Rated 27 May 2010
A very accessible look at the story of a company that I didn't even know existed until the scandal broke out, and promptly forgot about afterward. In the words of one of the writers: "People perceive it as a story that's about numbers... but in reality it's a story about people."
Rated 12 Mar 2008
Very informative and insightful as to how the CA blackouts and subsequent governor's race were influenced by the unfettered greed of a handful of Texas businessmen.
Rated 01 Jan 2008
Also reading Conspiracy of Fools right now, and this movie complements that material very well. The film takes on a lot of the more dramatic stuff, like Enron's involvement in the California energy crisis, and fleshes it out in some detail.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
Entertaining for a documentary, but with an obvious political bias that interferes with objectivity.
Rated 14 Jan 2023
I'm trying to imagine a world in which the Enron-Blockbuster partnership for nationwide on-demand entertainment works out - in many ways a fascinating prospect - but I can't get past mark-to-market accounting as anything but bad practice. God help us if Skilling ever gets into cryptocurrency trading, it's certainly his kind of scene.
If you've been following the Enron story by perusing headlines, you have been missing out on the depths of reality-defying accounting practices that propelled Enron to the top, then into the abyss. And did you know that the California blackouts were collateral damage from these activities? This is an eye-opening movie about corruption and power.
Rated 06 Jul 2022
Methodical, largely dispassionate takedown of Enron in general, as well as how its rise and downfall is “a feature, not a bug” of corporate culture. Presents all of its potentially dry financial investigations in a straightforward, involving way, all the better to reinforce the scream of outrage by the finale. Missteps when it uses pop culture references and sleazy reenactments to score cheap shots, as if Gibney doesn’t quite trust his own handling of the objective material.
Rated 10 Feb 2009
Føj...chokket over Enron har dimensioner end det umiddelbart ser ud her fra Europa - en god og skræmmende doku..
Rated 14 Feb 2008
It was ok.
Rated 25 Feb 2015
corporations foster sociopaths, who knew
Rated 05 May 2007
Very good documentary, with deep insight into this far reaching scandal.Highly reccommended must see.
Rated 02 Mar 2010
The value added of the film over the fascinating book is that, as The Dude said, "new shit has come light." There is more detailed information, especially in the way of recorded telephone conversations, concerning Enron's gaming of California's electricity system. As a Californian, I don't think I've ever sat in a theater full of people who were more collectively pissed off.
Excellent documentary. Really helps you understand what happened with Enron and shows the personal, human side of the story. A little slow to start but eventually it all becomes very clear. Certainly one of the more entertaining documentaries I've seen.
Rated 04 Apr 2011
Any movie that starts with a Tom Waits song is a winner in my eyes.
An effective political documentary most notable for the parallels it draws between the Enron scandal and the sinking of the titanic. Best documentary of 2005.
Rated 18 Apr 2014
Absolutely batshit. Epstein's Go-Go '90s. A Ponzi scheme greenlit by every major U.S. bank was dictating terms to California and the White House. Reality stranger than fiction. Again, this is not aberrant, this is how capitalism functions everyday.
Rated 24 Aug 2013
Educational. I didn't understand what really happened at Enron until I saw this film. A thoroughly damning account of the greed of a handful of people.
Rated 31 Jan 2014
While the documentary is decent, the story is marvelous. It truly deserves a high budget motion picture with an A-line cast. Stat!
Rated 29 May 2011
Quite a revealing documentary! A good watch! Recommended for anyone with interest in American schemers!! I guess Michael Douglas was wrong when he said "greed is good"
Rated 06 May 2022
Rated 16 Mar 2008
Interesting and informative, but even for someone as interested in the material as I was, it tended to yammer on and on and on. I had to watch it in episodic increments to fully take it in. Would make an excellent educational film, if not for some totally unnecessary tit-shots in a strip club. I'm the last guy to complain about boobs in a movie, but they were totally out of place here, and that scene didn't fit the tone of the rest of it. Otherwise, good stuff.
Rated 10 Dec 2016
UGGGHHHHH
Rated 02 Aug 2010
A thorough documentary that covers the multifaceted fraud at Enron, shedding light on things unknown even to hardcore news fiends. Unfortunately, "Enron" is badly paced and constructed, and that gets in the way of its revelations.
Rated 05 Jun 2010
the scariest movie I ever seen..this doc painted a cruel picture of modern companies and what they will do to make a profit...
Rated 31 Jul 2019
I might be waaaay off, but to me this story serves as an example on why libertarianism doesn't work in read life. The very idea that things will work out themselves if you let rich and powerful do whatever they want is absurd to me. I just can't see what else could have come out of allowing mark-to-market accounting - it's a bit like leaving a wolf in a same room with sheep, and then blaming wolf for killing it. Interesting docu, took me a while to get around watching it.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
1) I hate business people, which is why I couldn't work where I do for the rest of my life 2) The stock market is the cause of more suffering to normal people than anything else, its a flawed system and it shouldn't exist 3) Gotta love Skillings "aw, did I do bad" little boy look at the end. I think all these people had a form of megalomania which stops them realizing that they could do wrong...
Rated 17 Oct 2011
"Light on new evidence but impressively comprehensive in scope." - Nick Schager
Decent documentary
Rated 18 Dec 2011
This is a fascinating movie that explains the scandal of Enron. The movie is able to be informative and stay interesting at the same time. I highly recommend this documentary.
Rated 07 Jan 2007
Awesome Documentary that shows the only side there was to this story. Tons of detailed research went into this, and it paints a dark, messy picture. See it, one of the best docs I've seen so far.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Nice Documentary
Rated 14 May 2014
Bit of a dull doc that just serves as a reminder of how selfish and callous the greedy men in this business can be. The details of the scandal are skimmed over rather lightly, with more emphasis put on the guilty individuals themselves; the section on the Californian energy crisis holding the most interest. The most depressing thing about it is the protagonists' close links to high-ranking politicians and the realisation that you know something similar will happen again. And again. And again.
Rated 01 Mar 2009
Mögnuð mynd. Vel uppbyggð og hreinlega ótrúleg saga. Svindlið og klækirnir voru alveg ótrúlegir.
Rated 30 Dec 2006
I LOVED IT....this is probably the best documentary i have ever seen...until i think of one that is better this is it. It exposes every little secret,lie , and trick enron used to make billions and ruin the lives of many more.
Rated 24 Apr 2011
it'll make you furious
Rated 29 Apr 2008
this is a frightening movie.
Informative, with enough entertainment mixed in to prevent it from seeming too dry.