2023
Takumi and his daughter Hana live in Mizubiki Village, close to Tokyo. One day, the village inhabitants become aware of a plan to build a glamping site near Takumi's house offering city residents a comfortable "escape" to nature (imdb).

2023

Rated 01 Oct 2023
The performances are as natural as the trees, and as stoic and deeply rooted. The sonic refrain is profoundly layered and evokes exactly what it needs to every time it returns while hinting of and containing everything the film asks of it. Everything is there from the beginning - it is masterfully structured - but the finale could never be anything but a horrifying surprise, never quite to be reconciled with its body, even as reflection makes clear its inevitability. Water flows downhill.
Rated 02 Oct 2023
To begin, the end: it felt out of left (snowy) field, and though subtle foreshadows appear in hindsight, they don’t make it any less of a shot to the gut: evil does exist, as much as the film so beautifully baited us into imagining that it doesn’t, what with its peaceful and patient depictions of life in nature and its humanizing and humourous conversations through seemingly mild conflicts. Wonderful camerawork, turns, and music take us through both the trees and the forest we couldn’t see.
Rated 06 May 2024
What is that ending?!????
Rated 12 May 2024
Certainly not what I was anticipating after the exhaustive script of "Drive My Car". Actually thought this had a lot in common with Radu Jude's latest stuff. A really quiet film that maintains a gentle tension from the lasting echo of violence. Having the film play at such a soft note the entire time accentuates the drama of the ending, achieving a strange balance that at the very least will give viewers something to chew on.
Rated 11 Oct 2023
Very strong depiction of good rural folk vs corporats with an absorbing pace and beautiful music. I’m not sure how I feel about the ending just yet, though.
Rated 14 Oct 2023
(Filmekimi, City’s Nişantaşı – CINEWAM Premium | 10/14/2023)
Rated 17 Oct 2023
filmekimi'23 - sinematek
Rated 20 Oct 2023
61st nyff
Rated 20 Apr 2024
A story not so much about saving the environment as people trying to save themselves. Moments of salvation that don't come to pass.
Rated 28 Apr 2024
Eerie score, long shots say everything: meditation on nature and how we relate to it mostly through violence. In a way, we're all invaders, handyman says. Finale is brutal statement, but build-up to last scenes is absolutely unique as well -- workers of talent agency talking about jobs in a car travel, meeting with CEO of company about to ruin an entire community with its camping gourmet business, briefing with local people, dead deer, what happened to his wife? It is there from the start.
Rated 05 May 2024
Though it's meditative nature was intentional, it gave us less time with the more interesting characters. Charming in parts, insightful in others but dissapointingly boring overall
Rated 07 May 2024
6 Maig 2024 - Se m'ha fet lenta, molt més que l'anterior. Els moments de diàleg se'm feien més digeribles. Tot i així, tot m'ha generat confusió i m'ha fet sentir incapaç de trobar-hi gaires significats. Una mica incompresible. La música m'ha tocat una mica el primer cop, però les diverses repeticions per mi li han tret la gràcia.
Rated 27 May 2024
A beautifully empathetic film about how we are all so screwed. Humanity is doomed to become overwhelmingly corrupted until everything we once held dear has been lost. Bleak!
Rated 01 Jun 2024
Not for novice movie fans.. try to stay away from your phone.