Falling Down

Falling Down

1993

Rated 11 Mar 2007
a really angry office space
A compelling and somewhat sad story about what happens when stress just becomes too much for one man on a sunny morning in California. This is definitely one of Michael Douglas' most powerful performances, and the supporting actors hold up well, too.
Rated 18 Jun 2008
What could have been an interesting, allegorical punch in the gut turned into a limp dick in the face of a movie, thanks to the plot turning into standard issue cop-chasing-psycho fare.
Considered somehow controversial at the time due to the fact the protagonist "takes matters into his own hands" and so on, but my recollection is that the real problem with the film is that it becomes all-too-conventionally judgmental of his character in the end, and, correspondingly, all-too-conventionally "pro-world". In other words, what begins with the appearance of some kind of social critique, and exploits that appearance in marketing, winds up more or less as the renunciation of critique.
Rated 28 Jun 2010
Love the mood, and the undercurrent of rage and frustration from this one. D-fens makes you sympathise with him, even if he has crossed that invisible line. Douglas is perfect here; gritty and tense. It begs the question, how can a man who listens to everything he is told, working for them his whole life, go so desperately wrong? How can he be taken out like the trash and told he is no longer 'economically viable'? Much more moving than your average drama.
Rated 11 Aug 2009
(2nd viewing) Hilarious. Man is angry at the world, world kills man. Soda still costs too much. Fast-food service still sucks. The End.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
One of my all time favorite films About a man determined to see his daughter on her birthday and unfortunately finds trouble every step of the way Favorite scene when he loses it at the fast food place
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Sort of sympathetic at first, Douglas' character quickly shows his scumminess. The contrast with the "well balanced" people isn't really that effective, but the collapse of a man and the gusto with which Douglas goes about it sure is interesting.
Rated 07 Dec 2020
There are some uncomfortable moments in this where you just about empathise with Douglas' character as he takes issue with everyone and everything, but he's ultimately so deranged that this becomes impossible. The cat-and-mouse phase towards the end of the film isn't quite as engaging as the preceding chapters, and it all feels a bit bleak by the time it wraps up. Nevertheless, this is compelling, and Douglas does some great work here.
Thought-provoking movie about Michael Douglas' character, D-FENS, doing what he thinks is right with violence. Although he claims to be the victim, he goes on the offensive as he marches across the city causing damage and death in an effort to find his daughter and ex-wife. Probably one of Schumacher's smarter films.
Rated 07 Aug 2014
Falling Down is an interesting but ultimately pointless film of a mans self destruction and outburst against society. Joel Schumacher generally is one of my least favourite Directors. But this is worth a watch. Michael Douglas gives an incredibly intense performance as an anti-hero rebelling against the flaws of modern society. Your initial sympathy for his character quickly fades. But he does raise some humorously valid points, such as the overpricing of soda and the poor standard of fast food.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Wow, even Schumacher's supposedly "good" films are still terrible. Horrible, horrible propaganda that is obviously trying to be excitable so people will be fooled into thinking it's good. It's not, and I don't see what's to like. Yeah, let's destroy some guys store because he wouldn't give you change so you could harass your ex-wife and kid. Hey, let's shoot up a phone booth because some guy called you an asshole. Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy. And definitely someone to look up to.
Rated 03 Jul 2016
I'm scared that this film will resonate with me even more as I grow older, but as it stands now, this is a near perfect mainstream American film for misanthropes. Douglas kills it in the lead role, playing both a disrespected and neglected poor soul and a hostile and barely contained maniac, with many set-pieces he's in, although not deep, are deeply hilarious critiques of a GTA-style Western culture. Perfectly scribed, consummately filmed, and without any fucks, this film is like medicine.
Rated 29 Oct 2009
Great acting, Great characters, wonderful cinematography and fantastic pacing makes this an essential film to watch. Makes you want to go order breakfast at 10:32 and to hell with the consequences.
Rated 09 Oct 2007
All of us identify with the character of Douglas at some moment. Really great.
Great examination of a broken man.
Rated 20 Apr 2010
I really enjoyed this film, fun to see what would have to someone who just snaps. Love the part in the burger joint. Also have to agree with most other people, is this the only really good film Schumacher has ever done!!
Rated 06 Feb 2008
Angry, disappointed Douglas.
Rated 13 Aug 2010
One of Michael Douglas's best roles. He does an amazing job as a disgruntled worker, husband, citizen. The ending was a bit weak but entirely worth a watch.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
dont we all have days we wanna freak out
Rated 19 Aug 2007
An oft overlooked, powerful film.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
Wow, cool. A racist movie about a guy who intimidates and harasses his wife, beats up minorities, and threatens fast food employees. What a sociopathic dick. In fact, there isn't a single likable character in this film. Most of the acting sucked apart from Michael Douglas. Fuck this movie.
Rated 25 Mar 2012
Loved this. I have these feelings of rage whenever im stuck in traffic. Michael Douglas is brilliant. Great supporting cast as well.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Suspense/Thriller that alternates between darkly comedic and slightly disturbing. Douglas' performance dominates, but Duvall is also notable as the affable retiring cop providing an interesting parallel as his easy going nature is tested. If not taken too seriously this movie is highly entertaining and entirely quotable.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Solid thriller with an interesting premise, though a bit silly. I really like Douglas in this, though, and watching him tear up town is pretty great. I mean, the guy gets ahold of a rocket launcher at one point.
Rated 03 Dec 2018
A volatile man loses his family and job and then is unable to find employment. He loses all patience, and his sense of righteous indignation lead him to ever increasing escalations of violence. The side story of the detective about to retire and who has a batty wife seemed like an almost random addition to the plot. Good acting performances from all. Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall were very good. Good plot and dialog. Well worth watching.
Rated 30 Jan 2011
Wait, I'm supposed to cheer for this guy? You know, I can get behind certain ideas that he expresses... but then he's an angry guy who verbally abuses his ex-wife and makes his kid do things she doesn't want to do, and gives normal people a hard time for no reason (like the breakfast part). Even when he says things you can agree with, he deals with the situation so awfully that it is pointless. But besides his morality, the movie is pretty silly but you know, pretty entertaining regardless.
Rated 02 Dec 2012
I think this is a great movie, but the thing I remember most is the police chief standing at the urinal, finishing and immediately picking his teeth.
Rated 14 Jun 2008
Great
Rated 07 Jul 2008
I think a lot of us secretly envy anti hero 'D-Fens' going on the rampage against bigots, fast food resturants and traffic jams. One of Michael Douglous' finiest performances and one of my fave movies. If you've not seen it honestly it's worth tracking down.
Rated 16 Sep 2017
The film has a wonderful structure with comedy transgressing into tragedy, the border between the two so thin that the transition often goes through unnoticed. Michael Douglas is hypnotic showing a character that has already crossed the point of no return even before he admits it to the audience. The parallel plot line with Duvall and the social commentary throughout - although very in-your-face at times - are integral elements of a balanced film with many quotable and unforgettable scenes.
Douglas is excellent and while the movie is over the top it does have some well developed themes beyond society has gone mad. This is especially clear when comparing Douglas' character with Duvall's.
Rated 30 Mar 2010
Great movie. a guy who's had about enough of eaking his way thru life go's off on a spree of violence and destructon, AND HE SHOOTS UP A FAST FOOD JOINT, awesome
Rated 05 Dec 2009
This movie has one problem. At some point, every normal, into society integrated person loses contact with D-Fens and just watches him going berserk. At the beginning, I guess, nearly everybody can understand and identify to some point with the protagonist. However, when he kills this army/nazi-stuff-guy, he loses every moral justification. Yet, what I really liked about this movie was Michael Douglas, because you don't see a tiny bit of himself there. Great acting.
Very sneaky but effective filmmaking that sets up D-Fens as the frustrated everyman hero in the first half before yanking the rug out from under the audience and revealing him as a crazy shit sack.
Rated 27 Apr 2009
I love this movie so much. Perfect anti-hero movie where you cheer for this guy who is sticking it to modern day inconveniences only to realize he's actually a really messed up unlikable guy who takes things too far. Some great scenes and a great "last words" ending for the main character.
Rated 26 Mar 2008
Do not understand what people see in this movie, gave it a chance but I found it to be just...bad.
Rated 13 Dec 2009
This has been misinterpreted as endorsing violence, but Schumacher and Smith have, above all, created a thoughtful and believable character study.
Rated 15 Oct 2007
You shouldn't really sympathise with the angry mental but we've all been in similar situations - although probably not in a racist redneck Nazi's dungeon looking to kill him, or facing off against Robert Duvall. At least hopefully not.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Michael Douglas at his absolute best. It's so interesting to find yourself identifying with a madman, but this movie does it best.
I know how you feel, dude.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Despite having its share of over-the-top moments, Falling Down is at its best a tense and compelling drama-thriller with a comedic side. Michael Douglas gives a great performance, and even if the film's allegorical message is slightly heavy-handed, it is delivered in a consistently interesting and visual way which makes you think a little. Joel Schumacher always finds ways to shoehorn some eye-catching elements into his shots, and eye-catching shots into his edit. An overlooked, worthwhile film.
Rated 12 Jan 2012
Schumacher's not the most subtle director at all, but he can get the job done. The greatest thing about this film was Michael Douglas though. He was awesome. The other lead character played by Robert Duvall wasn't nearly as interesting and whenever his scenes were playing, I was just anticipating getting back to Douglas' character's storyline.
Rated 18 Feb 2007
All I can really say is "it's in my top 10 of all time"
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Intense and well acted by Michael Douglas. Falling Down does a great job of keeping you interested the whole way through.
Rated 29 May 2008
I'm baffled---and a bit frightened---as to why people presumably identify with Douglas' loathsome character and this piece of shit movie. Hey fuckface, breakfast at your shitty local fast food joint is over... put a bullet in your own head and leave everyone else alone.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Pretty creepy.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
Great movie...one that I'll probably watch over and over again. He goes apeshit in the most amazing way hehe. ::thumbs up::
Rated 15 Jul 2009
incendiary but absolutely unforgettable filmmaking.
Rated 15 Sep 2010
Underrated.
Rated 28 Jul 2019
There's so much anger, and it almost seems to be saying that without losing our minds we're essentially impotent against the every day brokenness of the world, a truth that's a hard pill to swallow even with a ludicrous bazooka gag
Rated 16 Jul 2009
Closet classic
Rated 21 Feb 2011
Disenchanting the american dream, a supposed "working class hero" spirals downward into the abyss of social and economical truths. The world isn't a fair place, people are systematically pitted against each other and discarded in the wake of a few who actually profit. It's not exactly a subtle movie, but then again it's not about a subtle topic, either.
Rated 27 Dec 2012
The best performance of Michael Douglas's career. The characterization of the (anti)hero is thoughtful and even sympathetic, bizarre yet realistic -- much better than in Taxi Driver. Perfect pacing, excellent cinematography and sound editing elevate this film even further. There should be a Grand Theft Auto mod based on this guy and all his quotable social commentary.
Rated 12 Apr 2013
OMG, probably Michal Douglas' best movie next to the Game!! Every 10 minutes he gets a weapon upgrade :). Simple extreme violence movie, but perfectly executed!!
Rated 19 Mar 2007
You do not want to get in Michael Douglas' way on this particular day. He carries this violent thriller without hesitation, and actually makes it worth seeing.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Good film.
Rated 26 Aug 2013
Douglas's best next to "the Game" by Fincher. This movie, like the game, is one helluva ride
Rated 19 May 2011
Amazing movie on many levels! Great job Michael Douglas!
It took a while to sink in, but I realized that the writer of this movie is a conservative propagandist and has some sort of a beef with the service at fast-food joints, and although it's a well-made movie with fine acting, the content is not much to go on.
Rated 08 Jul 2010
BEING A WHITE MALE IN AMERICA IS HARD
A Michael Douglas dour-de-force. The first (and only?) angry white man movie. You should see this movie at least once. Disturbing but good.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
Simple premise, great acting. The late breakfast scene is absolutely classic, the very definition of karthasis, sick as that probably is.
Rated 15 Dec 2011
Michael Douglas is great in this film playing a man who has lost his sanity. Robert Duvall is also very good in this movie. The plot is simple yet it makes a lot of sense.
It's always shocking to me that Joel Schumacher directed this. Michael Douglas plays the creepy/angry white man about as well as I've seen.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 23 Jan 2014
An early 90's 'angry man' film that still holds up today. Micheal Douglas is great as is Robert Duvall. The cinematography is really good and is just a fascinating movie(directed by Joel Schumacher no less). With a couple of tweaks, this film could easily work set in present day which makes it all that more interesting. Worth checking out.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Effective suspense thriller that comic and nightmarish at the same time. Douglas is subdued and effective as the man whose life is "falling down."
Rated 24 Mar 2008
This is "Network" for the 90's. A revolt against the establishment, the everyman who has had enough and simply stops responding the way society demands he does.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Here's something you don't see every day: a major studio all-star-cast movie that's a tragedy. It seems like everyone on the entire Internet hates Schumacher because of his Batman films; I don't, however, because once in a while he comes out with a good film (like this one)
GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE IT TO ME.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
Angry white man movie for the win! This was an exciting thriller/drama, that just would not ever stop.
Rated 07 Aug 2011
It's one of those weird movies where 25% of you roots for the bad guy and the other 75% feels bad about it. Kudos to Douglas for a great performance.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
The Bad Day from Hell. I really rooted for the guy, especially when he pulled out an uzi in McDonalds.
Rated 01 Jul 2008
All he wanted to do was go home and see his kid on her birthday to give her a unicorn snow globe.
Rated 28 Dec 2012
A very cool movie. If you hate most of modern society, you will enjoy this movie.
Rated 29 Jan 2011
Postal 2 the movie if Uwe Boll Had nothing to do with it.
Rated 21 Sep 2007
Veering between high satire and a vigilante/revenge flick, Falling Down is a fine but not entirely successful film, although the cast is quite good. It may have worked better if the Douglas character was an everyday normal white collar type instead of a borderline psycho, but since it's not fair to judge films for what they ought to be instead of what they really are, the movie works well enough. Schumacher keeps his directing straight-faced, which is a good thing for a change.
Rated 14 Oct 2007
Classic.....good!
Rated 24 Aug 2009
Great overall. My only caveat is that I really wish people who watch it didn't relate quite so much with our main character. To be acute, I would rather the director had chosen to dial back the audience' ability to relate and sympathize to the protagonist.
Rated 14 Dec 2010
I guess you could say we all need a hero like this guy, especially the whole stalking his wife and kid thing...
Rated 27 Jun 2011
Excelente, para reflexionar...
I'd have given it more, but it's still a Joel Schumacher film dammit!
Rated 19 Feb 2013
A very strong movie in pretty much every department. It probably influenced that more recent movie, God Bless America, but this one is infinitely better because the main character is actually portrayed as a psychopath instead of a preachy hero killing all the stupid people in America.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
so much anger. love it!
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Awesome in some ways, not in others.
Rated 09 Jun 2007
I really didn't like it. I thought Micheal Douglas was an overreacting misogynist asshole in this.
A good film to release stress.
Rated 07 May 2009
Taxi Driver for the 90's? Not quite, but Douglas' plight is one that almost any middle class American can relate to. After a while all the small things build up and seeing somebody vent is almost as satisfying as the classic Bronson and Eastwood shoot'em up flicks of the 70's and 80's.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
One of the funniest movies of all time!
Rated 29 Jul 2008
I kjnow you're not supposed to identify with the main character here, but that didn't stop me laughing my way through this schlocker...
Rated 03 Feb 2008
A good one man show. Douglas character does what you would only imagine and you can feel that something broke inside this man.
Rated 12 May 2011
That was sweet. Ending was kinda lackluster, but the movie keeps you intrigued the whole time
Loved Michael Dougles in that movie. Particularly the scene where he orders breakfast at a fast food place a couple of minutes past 11 a.m. and gets really angry when he finds out that breakfast time is over...
Rated 08 Nov 2007
A bit cheap, but very entertaining nonetheless.
Rated 28 Jul 2009
Great way to release some anger, which makes it pleasing on some levels. You kind of have to turn a blind eye to the horribly underdeveloped characters. Yet while scenes are just a ball, I felt like it could have had an even sharper edge with others.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
It's become a tad cliche by now, but there's no denying that this is a revenge classic.
Rated 25 Oct 2008
MICHAEL DOUGLAS ISN'T TAKING GUFF FROM YOU ANYMORE MISTER! Everything was so blatantly blatant, lovely LOVELY stuff.
Rated 05 Dec 2013
Would have been over 80 if evil didn't win in the end. I really hate evil, and the fact that evil wins in this world virtually every time, and how "majority opinion" twists evil to be good and good to be evil. Remember kids, if you kill a neo-nazi, or demand respect of your basic human rights with a weapon, YOU are the evil one!
Rated 08 Jul 2008