Fantastic Planet (1973)
This film takes place on a faraway planet where giants rule, and tiny humanoids must fight for their lives and their equality
Cast and Information
Directed By: René Laloux
AKA: La Planète sauvage
Where to Stream
Fantastic Planet belongs to 53 collections
1. 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (collaborative: moderated by kozan26 - 234 stars)
2. Criterion Collection (collaborative: moderated by caffe - 167 stars)
3. Features under 91 minutes (collaborative: moderated by epiphany - 56 stars)
4. Certified weird (collaborative: moderated by Dreamer - 47 stars)
5. Psychotronic Film and Video Guides (collaborative: moderated by Gregzilla - 40 stars)
6. The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies (collaborative: moderated by PeaceAnarchy - 19 stars)
7. Hard Sci-fi (collaborative - 18 stars)
8. Best film of top directors (collaborative: moderated by avgcrtckr - 15 stars)
9. 101 Sci-Fi Movies You Must See Before You Die (collaborative: moderated by von krogh - 15 stars)
10. Films available in HD (collaborative: moderated by kubricksucks - 13 stars)
11. Aliens (collaborative: moderated by td888 - 12 stars)
12. Best of criticker: Sci-fi (collaborative: moderated by avgcrtckr - 11 stars)
13. Best of criticker: Animation (collaborative: moderated by avgcrtckr - 10 stars)
14. Wierd / Mindfuck / Surreal (collaborative: moderated by neurophate - 9 stars)
15. Fantastic and surreal (public: juandr - 9 stars)
16. Animated films - Not from Japan or USA. (collaborative: moderated by gcat - 8 stars)
17. Masters of Cinema (collaborative: moderated by hristos - 6 stars)
18. Alien planets (collaborative: moderated by edkrak - 5 stars)
19. Doubling The Canon (2010 update) (collaborative: moderated by MMAlpha - 5 stars)
20. Wikipedia's list of dystopian films (collaborative: moderated by ND Geek - 4 stars)
21. Weird Animated Features (collaborative: moderated by PerryStroika - 3 stars)
22. Criterion Collection (Blu-ray and 4K) (public: PepeCamello - 3 stars)
23. Cut-out and silhouette animation (collaborative: moderated by Vesey - 2 stars)
24. Psychotronic kids entertainment (collaborative: moderated by HaileyS - 2 stars)
25. En Sevdiğim 50 Fransız Filmi (collaborative: moderated by mentosibo - 2 stars)
26. Dreamlike (public: juandr - 2 stars)
27. Unravelling the Narrative (public: lillakniven - 2 stars)
28. Cinemag's Best Sci-fi Films (collaborative: moderated by hristos - 1 star)
29. Doubling the Canon (2011 update) (collaborative: moderated by MMAlpha - 1 star)
30. Doubling the Canon (2012 update) (collaborative: moderated by Cinephile - 1 star)
31. French director (collaborative: moderated by iconogassed - 1 star)
32. gork movies to get (public: gork - 1 star)
33. Timeout 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies (public: Ozancan - 1 star)
34. Cannes 1973 Official Selection (collaborative)
35. Fantastic Fest 2006 (collaborative)
36. DtC Doubling the Canon 2021 Nominees (collaborative: moderated by lineuphere)
37. Referenced in Zeroville (collaborative: moderated by iconogassed)
38. Foreign films on Divicast (collaborative: moderated by Dunstan-xxx)
39. Age of Aquarius (collaborative: moderated by davidysteph)
40. 1001 Movies You Must See (and I have) (public: donkeyjelly)
41. Owned (BD) (public: bizarre_eye)
42. Filmspotting Ratings Project: Week 37 (public: PeaceAnarchy)
43. Films I watched in 2012 (public: jal90)
44. Animasyon Mucizeleri (public: Ozancan)
45. Bilimkurgu Mucizeleri (public: Ozancan)
46. KENDELL'S MASSIVE LIST (public: kendell)
47. Filmstruck Wishlist (public: kendell)
48. Djross French feature films I've seen (public: djross)
49. Sci-Fi to See (public: CinematicESP)
50. C-Animation (public: cantahta)
51. Frank's favorite fantasies (public: Frank)
52. Amy Seimetz's Top 10 Criterion Collection Films (public: TychoCelchuu)
53. Blu-ray Collection (public: TripEuphoric)
Browse the full list of collections
The ending seems to wrap things up too neatly, however the rest of the movie more than makes up for this. A groovy music score, amazing visuals, and a good story. A cool gem that any fan of animation would, at the least, appreciate.
Completely weird. Very cool little gem. The music screams early 70's: a groovy mix of Ummagumma-style Pink Floyd and the kind of jazz/funk you might hear in 70's porn. My description sounds cheesy, but it's really good and it adds an awful lot. It almost makes up for the rather slapdash animation, which is surely the film's biggest weakness.
This is one of the weirdest pieces that I've ever seen, which is both a good and a bad thing. Combining some strange ideas with some of the wierdest plotlines and warped, simplistic animation reminissent of something out of Monty Python, the film seems to have a general intent to produce a unique experience. That said for me the formula doesn't really work all that well and lacks any real kind of substance or story, making Fantastic Planet little more than a strange psychadelic curiosity.
Man, drugs are awesome.
I saw this as a child and it totally distorted my creative thinking process for the entirety of my life. I think there is a moral, or a political commentary in here somewhere, but enjoy it for the bizarre imagery, people getting eaten like ants and other horrific aspects.
The animation technique is elaborate (detailed shading, extensive use of focus and parallax shifts) but looks better in stills than in motion. Might have been served better by a short rather than feature, but admittedly the film is unique and compelling largely due to glacial pacing and extensive bestiary, both of which would be right out the window if its length were, say, halved. And shorts have a history of falling into obscurity or outright unavailability, which no good film deserves.
Amazingly trippy. Good eye candy, confusing story.
Trippy as, I wanna see this on Acid one day... See? I DO have something to aspire to
Total psychadelic wonder. Amazing score and harrowing situations, and highly original. Plus, our hero is voiced by Barry Bostwick, I mean c'mon!
A very interesting film with a strange and occasionally disturbing artistic style. It has some interesting insights and gives you something to think about, although the presentation in the film is a little over simplified. It's still engaging and the visual experience alone is enough to make it worthwhile, even if the animation itself is pretty weak.
The animation is rather simplistic but if you can get past that, you will see that this is a disturbing and memorable movie. Though personally I think that the movie works because of the simplistic animation. Still, I'll knock it down 5 points for the animation.
Fantastic Planet is an apocalyptic / scifi mix from the early 70's. humans are hold like pets...maybe that's the way it have to feel if you are not on top of the food chain. great idea with a very psychedelic soundtrack !
Amazing visuals and music, almost the very definition of 70s psychedelia sci-fi weirdness. A rather flimsy plot and ending are made up for by these otherwise groovy elements.
|Average Percentile 67.08% from 1493 Ratings|