Ferrari

Ferrari

2023
Biography

Rated 24 Jan 2024
Another bland, unseasoned biopic with needless relationship drama. Of course there's the signature angry menopausal wife, Penelope Cruz this time with a thick Spanish (!) accent, throwing tantrums in every scene she's in. I just couldn't get over the Italian accents. First of all that's not how Italians sound in English, and second it makes every scene even phonier than they already are. Adam Driver's portrayal of Enzo Ferrari is as dull and uninteresting as they come. 2 cool crash scenes though
Rated 29 Jan 2024
out of nowhere there's a guy cut in half in this
Rated 26 Dec 2023
I KNOW M&MS EXIST I DONT NEED LITERALLY THE SAME COMMERCIAL MULTIPLE TIMES JESUS CHRIST NO WONDER THEATERS ARE DYING FUCK OFF Movie was kinda just ok but slow. Honestly, just go watch old F1 clips of crashes on YouTube and you'll probably have a better time, with less ads, and for free.
Rated 30 Jan 2024
At this rate, they're gonna put Adam Driver's face on a pizza box...
Rated 28 Jan 2024
Where a perfectionist is forever haunted by his past. What you want to take from that wrt Mann is up to you. Celebration of Ferarri’s success comes second to the imperfections that cause a massacre or the inability to help your dying son. The way Mann shoots the cars is so related to the way he shot Smith as Ali. Both attempts to showcase perfections of their form.
Rated 28 Dec 2023
I don’t think Mann ever quite manages to tie all of the film’s disparate ideas and plot-lines together in a satisfying way, but most of them are individually compelling. Penelope Cruz is captivating for every second she’s onscreen. Also, we’re all starting to take Adam Driver for granted. He’s really great and finds something human and sensitive in a role that could have easily been very broad.
Rated 10 Mar 2024
If you put aside the goofy accents, overwrought dialogue and that it feels like a soap opera at times, this is quite engaging; Cruz, in particular, steals the show. Then Guidizzolo happens and it feels like a completely different type of movie.
Rated 28 Feb 2024
Didn't expect it to be so disturbing, but here we go. Mann goes all the way to depict just one year in the life of Ferrari, from operatic personal saga to family melodrama, in the most poignant and abstract biopic -- Enzo mourning his car, but not the nine lives of the final accident is just crazy -- of recent years. Also, what an incredible portrait of 20th century masculinity and its embryonic ties with capitalism, huh? In a curious way, it reminded a bit of Ferrara's biopics.
Rated 02 Mar 2024
This was an ok film - a reasonably interesting story, with good performances from both Adam Driver and Penelope Cruz. I enjoyed the scenes featuring actual car races but there wasn't as much action as I'd have liked. Its more of a domestic drama type film than an edge of your seat action type film. The ending is somewhat shocking and not for the overly squeamish I suppose. I won't elaborate so as not to provide spoilers but it did seem somewhat shocking, even though it was maybe inevitable.
Rated 02 Feb 2024
Complete trash. Marriage drama that the viewer couldn't care less about, plot points that go nowhere and actors throwing in Italian words so the viewer doesn't forget where this movie is set in. It also paints Ferrari in a positive light, as a charismatic and ambitious man, while he's shown cheating on his wife and treating his employees (both drivers and factory workers) in a bad manner. With Enzo being an asshole, the race has no stakes for the viewer and the movie becomes a snoozefest.
Rated 03 Feb 2024
This is not bad, but its main issue is that it's disjointed. The different elements don't really come together in a meaningful way. It just never seems quite sure what it wants to be. Ferrari's rise to greatness is basically ignored in favor of a mundane family drama. They throw in some stuff about car safety and a deadly incident involving a Ferrari but don't really dig into that. There's racing, but it's only somewhat connected to financial woes. It's not bad, but disappointing.
Rated 06 Feb 2024
Lovely performance by Driver, but I don't know what Woodley was doing in this. Well-paced, not as convoluted as e.g. Oppenheimer, but it lacks coherence, perhaps by focusing on a too narrow timespan.
Rated 10 Jun 2024
A typical biopic overstuffed with relationship drama. But this one has pizazz, I tell you. I mean, just listen to those Italian accents, and witness the Meet Joe Black crash scene in all its glory.
Rated 11 Apr 2024
Weird that in that exact moment I was also thinking about having wild table sex with Penélope Cruz
Rated 26 May 2024
One crash scene near the end is bad in a funny way. The rest of the movie is bad in a boring way. Adam Driver innocent though.
Rated 26 May 2024
I liked this more than most seem to. Well acted, cool racing scenes, excellent sound editing.
Rated 05 Jun 2024
Mann presents Ferrari as a detail-oriented control freak who pursues his goals at any cost on the backs of others. Life devolves when measured in terms of efficiency and economics. Mann's portrait of Ferrari pointedly reveals the death-oriented ways of the modern world, the ironic, sun-tinged conclusion taking place exactly where you'd expect it: a cemetery.
Rated 09 Jun 2024
After the Gucci movie, I think it's funny having the guy try again at being a special Italian with family problems. Holy tonal shift Batman, though, when it goes to cheating husband to shots of gore. I knew it was coming but I expected it to be off-screen. And to involve less dubious CGI. Otherwise, I guess I can see what the movie was going for, and it shows some interesting flash of the era too
Rated 08 Oct 2023
This isn’t really my usual thing so pinch of salt and all that but outside of the beautiful racing sequences and one especially shocking and fantastic scene near the end I didn’t really get anything from this or understand why Mann chose to make it his first film in eight years. The relationship stuff especially is a real bore. But Adam Driver doing an Italian accent is always funny. He should have been the new voice for Mario.
Rated 30 Jan 2024
Barely watchable family drama occasionally (and thankfully) interrupted by pretty good car chase sequences. Also, could Hollywood stop with those ridiculous fake accents? Either do the effort to find actors who speak the language or just do your movie in normal English.
Rated 08 Jan 2024
Despite some powerhouse performances from Cruz and Driver, sluggish pacing exacerbates the problem that Mann is trying to tell too many stories, none of which are all that interesting.
Rated 06 Feb 2024
Ialmostcouldnttellthatshailenewastrynadoanaccentloolorevenactandiusuallylikeheralot+iknewwatchingonthatroadwasdumbashell
Rated 05 Jan 2024
Ferrari falls into the camp of movies that aren't really doing anything new or special, but are still very enjoyable because of how well they're made. The movie is crafted around a very good Adam Driver performance. Penélope Cruz is also notable in a supporting role, and while Shailene Woodley isn't bad, she is however rather miscast. I could see Michael Mann fans wanting more out of this, but enough of the components (cinematography, editing, acting) are on point that it ultimately works.
Rated 05 Jan 2024
It's a high quality production, with great performances from Driver and Cruz. But it just feels like parts 3 and 4 of a mini series. We are told things and then shown a reaction to them. Just doesn't quite work for me. The driving bits are well shot.
Rated 02 Jan 2024
I've noticed that almost every review of this film tries to find a pithy sentence or two that sums up the "message" ... a reason why you are watching a film about Enzo Ferrari in this particular slice of his life. They all seem too reductive. I don't think this is a film with a message. It's a film about an interesting guy struggling through twin crises as he settles into later middle age.
Rated 31 Dec 2023
A mixed bag—mostly fine with great performances from Driver and Cruz. The racing is usually well done, but the film has some of the most bizarre music cues I’ve ever seen, as in the actual score. It’s a crass orchestration that often makes itself known because of how it randomly pops in mid-scene, or fades out too quickly. It felt like it was edited for a different movie. Mann doesn’t have the instincts for biopics. He needs to return to thrillers.
Rated 29 Dec 2023
audiovisual 70 acting 82 overall feeling 66 avg 73
Rated 27 Dec 2023
Driver is good, as always. Not massively into motoracing myself
Rated 26 Dec 2023
Good from a historical perspective. Well acted. I enjoyed it.
Rated 18 Dec 2023
Ferrari would be a boring mediocrity even if everybody wasn't ruining their performance by doing the whole fake Italian accent thing. The racing is good but there's like 15 minutes of it in total, badly chopped up by constantly going back to the crappy relationship drama. Every time Dempsey's Taruffi got a bit of screentime I wished the movie was about him instead.
Rated 21 Oct 2023
Uninteresting biopic, the whole marriage and relationship stuff was unnecessary. That part of the storyline could've been about anyone. Rest of the movie is often ruined by poor to very poor CGI and silly accents.