1970
A trashy oil rigger returns home to comfort his dying father, where he is confronted with the past he ran away from: A successful career as a classical pianist. (imdb)

1970

Rated 31 Jul 2019
Sometimes you just want toast but life only deals in whole sandwiches
Rated 07 Apr 2008
An imperfectly perfect film of listless melancholy. Very subtle and undemanding; almost existential. Prepare for your subconscious to get ambushed ('though preparation is actually impossible).
Rated 27 Apr 2009
This is something that has pretty significant resonance for me. It doesn't thrust greatness upon you, but it creeps up, striking in its eloquence and efficiency. Multifaceted and understated, every scene is perfect, and not a second is wasted. Nicholson is great, and despite his nasty misanthropy, his iconoclasm gives him sympathetic and redeeming qualities.
Rated 11 Sep 2008
Typical existential road-piece of the 60's and 70's, an attempt to reconcile the newfound listlessness of the human soul, the man-made mechanisms that keep people in their places, and the conflict that ensues. Just not as memorable as an Easy Rider or Cool Hand Luke.
Rated 11 Mar 2010
To the quick, judgmental eye Bob is a bitter arsehole. But it's the last few bittersweet scenes, his apology for the past he ran away from and the bright future he never met & his complete rejection of his aristocratic family and their mundane and utterly unemotional lives and frustration for his current life that sums him up brilliantly. His blunt honesty shines through, and you can see it in his "love" for Cathy & his escape that his intention is not desolation, but one of being free.
Rated 21 Mar 2010
Nicholson is great once again, playing a character I really enjoyed watching. Great dialogue and character interactions, very believable. Quickly has become one of my favorites. The diner scene is one of the greatest things ever filmed.
Rated 01 Jan 2011
I'm currently working my way through Criterion's BBS Story set, and this is the first movie in it to knock me off my feet. People point to Easy Rider as the one that marked a turn for American cinema, but I'd argue Five Easy Pieces is that film - it's genuine and human and sad and a little frustrating. But it delivers in subtle ways throughout that I don't think many mainstream American films achieved prior and it culminates in an ending that's nothing short of perfect in my eyes.
Rated 21 Jan 2015
As a result of being alienated, Robert has alienated everyone he meets, and in letting this cycle continue, he's always less free than he wants to be. Robert: freedom is free of the need to be free. Respect yourself and you will respect others. Don't stop playing piano, either. A lot of great scenes here. I can see this improving on a second watch.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
A film about an aimless and deeply dissatisfied man, which is brave enough not to offer any solutions for his dissatisfaction. The ending is an all-timer.
Rated 24 May 2007
A wry and meandering tale that manages to be quite funny and also bittersweet, with a superb performance from Nicholson.
An American masterpiece where everything comes together to express a particular state of unease.
Rated 18 Nov 2007
A classic drama from right about the beginning of Hollywood's golden age of the 70's, Five Easy Pieces doesn't try to feed you any simple answers. It leaves you wondering about the choices the main character has made and whether each of them was right or wrong.
Rated 03 Jan 2008
Jack Nicholson is terrific as Robert Dupea. The movie is verry funny at times and as a number of memorable scenes, especially the ending which I will never forget.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
A solid, interesting character study with an excellent performance from Nicholson. The film has a nice mix of drama with comedic moments and the strong, if slightly over the top, performances make it go by quite quickly. While it does lack a certain cohesion and direction, that kind of works with Nicholson's character who is struggling to find himself. And it does have a very appropriate ending.
Rated 28 Jun 2009
It's hard to identify with Nicholson's character, who has little else but contempt for the people and things around him. Likewise with his ditzy and often maddeningly thick girlfriend. By the surprising end, he hasn't learned anything, but it seems like he really WANTS to, which sets Five Easy Pieces miles apart from the middlebrow "finding yourself" indies that followed in its wake.
Rated 03 Dec 2009
An engaging portrait of an aimless man, the narrative arc of Five Easy Pieces mirrors its understated and meandering formal elements. Moving back and forth seamlessly between popular country and classical music, from scenes on the oil rig to an impromptu visit with a sister, the film is structured to keep us off guard. That element of surprise combined with a mostly subtle script makes the film enjoyable, if not quite essential, viewing.
Rated 12 Mar 2010
Nicholson's nuanced performance as Bobby Dupea--and of course Rafelson's expert direction--hold this episodic film together. Dupea is a fascinating--although not easily likable--character, and the film makes us care about his journey of self-discovery and his continual refusal to be satisfied with every opportunity he is given for achievement or for love.
Rated 16 Apr 2012
The film that brought the wandering character study to the mainstream still holds up today because it gives us a great character to work with. And Nicholson plays it with just enough sympathy that we keep watching, no matter what terrible things he says and does. There's been many similar films since Five Easy Pieces, but because of those two factors this still remains one of the best.
Rated 27 Jul 2012
Contemplative and analytic of a severely flawed man who takes out his frustrations and angers of the world on those around him. Bobby is running from his family and his talent but he doesn't have a road map, none of us do. Disjointed at first jumping from scene to scene and it gets frustrating seeing Karen Black constantly bend over backward for the jackass, but it's believable as I think we've all seen people stay in unhealthy relationships well past the point where they should leave.
Rated 01 Aug 2012
Interesting character study about an ill-tempered man caught between two worlds, who just can't seem to find happiness anywhere. Nicholson plays another jerk you love to hate, partly because his character is developed pretty well. Still, it wasn't a terribly gripping watch as parts of it feel aimless or repetitive, and Kenny Powers ruined the final scene for me. More important in the Grand Scheme of Cinema than as an enjoyable evening of film for me.
Rated 10 Feb 2007
It still has a certain resonance for those who feel catharsis for this lonely drifter that loves nothing and no one, but still expects to be loved in return.
One of my favorite movies. You can actually sympathize with Nicholson, despite him being very unlikeable. The last scene is one my favorite of all time.
Rated 03 Aug 2008
Compelling character portrait with nuanced work from Nicholson. Very 70s, very good.
Rated 24 Aug 2009
an unpretentious, relatively short, imperfect film, but it asks all the right questions, and by the end it really stays with you.
Rated 31 Oct 2009
Jack Nicholson is the great defiler of everything that's sacred, and yet I can't hate him. Instead: pity, numb tenderness, revulsion, kinship, a sense of betrayal, frustrating hope.
Rated 03 Mar 2011
It might be that Nicholson's character reminds one to much of one self and the struggle to find consistent pleasure in what one has, and stop reaching out towards what's not there (yet). Still, I couldn't help feeling that this was Nicholson - not a character. This is great tabu, and I will be hated, but honestly, I'm beginning to get a bit tired of his acting as his grim smile and sarcastic temper seems to flow through all his films, unchanged. Still: impressive and others have mentioned why.
Rated 04 Jan 2012
Robert's an interesting character because he's so flawed. He' does so many things that are wrong, but I got the impression that he's still trying to be good in some way. Sometimes you just get stuck in a strange place in life. Anyways, the natural look of the film has a comforting quality, and it's just a nicely played character-driven story. Lots of funny moments, too.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
This is everything that the English Kitchen Sink dramas should have been.
Rated 16 Nov 2014
You make me want to be a bitter man.
Rated 12 Apr 2007
Wonderfully acted, well written, and has a great story. There's not much else that needs to be said except that more people should check it out.
The sort of wandering road movie/character study that Hollywood just doesn't seem to produce anymore, it's got a handful of riveting scenes with Jack Nicholson at his peak.
Rated 29 Sep 2007
Gets better every time you see it.
Rated 11 Jan 2008
I didn't care about anyone in this movie. While it was fun to see Jack clearly in his element, I had no "rooting" factor for anyone, not a single person, in this movie. I felt pity for the pretty, knocked-up waitress, but otherwise, zilch. The only redeeming factor is watching Jack work a pretty pitiful movie. This movie isn't a classic. It's classic Jack, but that's about it. For a much, much more enjoyable movie about unlikable characters, go with Gone With The Wind.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
Nicholson.
Rated 10 Jul 2008
Iconic movie for us tormented introverts. And, of course... the diner scene.
Rated 13 Sep 2008
An earlier film by Jack, and one of his better performances. Charismatic performance from Karen Black, a relative film to younger men trying to find themselves.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
To be free....
Rated 13 Dec 2009
One of the gems of the Seventies. The chicken-salad scene in the diner is now a classic.
Rated 18 May 2011
"Five Easy Pieces" is not the age old "finding yourself" movie. Actually, it's about a guy who runs away from it at any chance he gets. Second only to R.P. McMurphy "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", this is my 2nd favorite Jack Nicholson performance.He is so subtle in this, yet so effective. My favorite scene is the ending, which I will not spoil for you. Let's just say that it's one of the most perfectly executed endings that I have ever seen. It's totally unforgettable.
Rated 30 Mar 2023
Excellent characterstudy: a sociological upside down version of Don Draper. By far Nicholson’s best work, best enjoyable if you place the tiresome repetitive typecasts that he did in the following 50 years in memoryquarantaine beforehand. Solid supporting acting, especially by Smith: the way she nails the being-the-loving-sister part makes my heart bleed for the family, especially for her, trying truthfully but envane. Plus a lovely soundtrack if you like the voice of Tammy Wynette.
Rated 12 Jan 2013
It's really incredible how those people could just produce these movies back in the early 1970s; movies that were a accurate reflection of their places and time. I don't believe that america has made a wide social and personal portray of it's people ever before and ever since.
Rated 13 May 2013
This movie is led by Jack Nicholson giving one of his greatest performances ever. It's very enjoyable from start to finish, with an unforgettable ending.
Rated 24 Mar 2014
Jack Nicholson is wonderfully skilled at making seemingly nasty characters endlessly relatable, and Five Easy Pieces is no exception. The search for happiness is an oft-used theme in these types of movies, but I've never seen it handled so eloquently.
Rated 17 Jul 2014
A meandering yet pleasant film. It has an episodic quality, making some scenes feel skippable and others like little masterpieces. Nicholson is superb.
Rated 01 Jan 2015
A rugged slice of honest Americana. Nicholson shines, and Karen Black is fine as hell.
Rated 21 Jan 2015
Beautiful and haunting
Rated 11 Jul 2016
Heralded as one of the quintessential examples of New Hollywood, Rafelson's work still resonates among viewers today; even if you aren't a jerk with a severe case of wanderlust. One of Nicholson's best performances and Karen Black is phenomenal.
Rated 11 Sep 2016
Black's eyes were totally creepy - I would run from her too - but there are also many things I love: grainy 70's, Tammy Wynette, small towns, small roads, dysfunctional family gathering and no real plot.
Rated 18 Jun 2018
This film kind of angers me. A man not even trying to find himself so much as just running away from everything, and fucking with everyone around him in the process, and it's made out to be meaningful. It's not honesty, he's full of shit. Is that the point? I suppose it is realistic, though.
Rated 05 Aug 2018
Easy to see how important this film is to cinematic history. Nicholson is incredible, and there is so much depth to this character and the way he speaks to the countercultural spirit of the times. An odd script structure is the only thing holding Five Easy Pieces back a bit
Rated 13 Mar 2021
So Jack likes blondes quite a bit, who would've thought...
Rated 05 Apr 2021
A lost American soul flees from place to place as he struggles to make meaningful connections with fellow humans (friends, family and strangers). All the key ingredients for a satisfying film for the viewer are evident here; restrained and refined writing, performances that honour this writing, direction that guides energy in productive ways, cinematography that visually captures the mood, and music which sets the scene.
Rated 02 Jan 2007
Cada um Vive como quer estreava há 50 anos nos EUA. A primeira metade estava absolutamente intragável, a segunda metade melhora consideravelmente, mas gente, não tenho mais paciência para assistir filme com esses ominhos infantis e abusivos do caralho como protagonistas. Eu sei que o cinema está cheio de grandes filmes sobre esses tipinhos, mas o que sinto é apenas preguiça. BlurayRip no MakingOff.
Rated 16 Feb 2007
I saw this when I was a young'un and it left me unimpressed and annoyed. This is one of the few films I've gone back to and my maturity and life experience has tipped my opinion of it on its head. Honestly, and almost regrettably, Five Easy Pieces still leaves a bad mark on me. This isn't to say the film is bad, it's to say it hit me harder than I was even close to prepared for. It's incredible, but it makes me wonder if I should have stayed with my young ignorant opinion.
Quietly profound study of a wanderer, trapped between professions, social cliques, and life in general. Despite this it is frequently moving and uplifting. Nicholson's nuanced performance mostly simmers beneath the surface, in contrast to his other often explosive turns - and after many decades this still remains one of his most potent dramatic outings.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 295
Rated 13 Mar 2008
Nicholson does a great performance in a movie that should get more attention than it does.
Rated 23 Mar 2008
This has some great and nearly historic scenes, but in between them it has boredom. See it but be prepared to fast forward at times.
Rated 25 Jun 2008
Great film.
Rated 13 Aug 2008
Intriguing and deep.
Rated 03 Oct 2008
massive fucking classic
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 26 Jun 2009
Very well written, and impressive visually
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 01 Feb 2010
Eu não costumo lembrar o início ou o fim dos filmes que assisto, apenas guardo os mais marcantes. O desfecho desse certamente impregnou-se em mim, como em "O Céu de Suely", "Cachè" e "Mother". A última cena carrega uma simbologia que perpassa todo o filme; é paradoxalmente bruto e nebuloso e suave.
Rated 19 Feb 2010
This film has a story very simple, but it is much more than it appears. The character of Jack Nicholson is very interesting, deep, funny and full of inner conflicts. The role is perfect for him and he is amazing. Great movie.
Rated 18 Jul 2023
pompous celibate!
Rated 25 Oct 2010
A tale of wasted potential designed to be identified with. What does what should have happened matter when what is happening, is happening?
Rated 03 Feb 2011
Great, colorful stuff. It makes me wonder how crazy Bergman-directed Nicholson would be, but that might just be me.
Rated 10 Feb 2011
Nicholson's rogue character is interesting and he delivers an impressive performance, but he's so damn introvert, and the film's slow paced and disjointed 70s-modernistic style reminded me of Cassavetes' A Woman Under The Influence... and not in a good way.
Rated 26 Apr 2011
The film's themes have a real resonance for me and Nicholson is very good, however I was slightly disappointed, which isn't such a big deal given how high my expectations were though.
Rated 01 Jul 2011
A very sad movie, mostly because of the characters. This is Jack's show and it shines when Rafelson allows Jack to do the things that Jack does. (two times)
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#322
Rated 01 Jan 2012
Well this was a nice way to end 2011, that diner scene is amazing.
Rated 20 Feb 2012
Well-done
Rated 10 Nov 2012
Crass and obvious in so many ways but ultimately very engaging. Nicholson makes it, but those around him are drawn in pretty broad strokes.
Rated 11 Mar 2013
A privileged man (Jack Nicholson) disappears from his life to take odd jobs, party and chase women. He is drawn back home by his fathers illness. There he finds an incredible woman engaged to his brother, who he immediately falls for and seduces. But, his clingy, clueless, pregnant girlfriend (Karen Black) arrives in time to spoil the relationship. The ending is surprising but fits well with his general lack of good character.
Rated 16 Jan 2023
Among the greatest ending scenes in the history of film
Rated 30 Mar 2013
Arguably Nicholson's finest performances. His character feels like a real human being, full of complexities, flaws, and self doubt. And I applaud the story for avoiding over sentimentality. This could have been a sappy mess, but it's handled with nuance and subtlety. It's also filled with loads of memorable scenes. The diner scene is great and the ending shot is even better.
Rated 21 May 2013
Awesome early Nicholson, playing the drifter who has to confront both his past and the virtuoso inside. Has the whole "finding yourself" road vibe of the era, but this one really sticks with you. Although it suffers from feeling very disjointed at times, like with most films from the late-60's-early-70's, it ultimately fits Nicholson's meandering character. Everyone else cashes in on some pretty good performances, and an awesome script helps push Five Easy Pieces over the top.
Rated 10 Aug 2013
This movie felt really true to life. Although I wish the part with the hitchhikers were cut out.
Rated 18 Aug 2013
This film felt very much of its time, like another Jack Nicholson film from the same time, Easy Rider (1969). I liked it, but, with the disjointed first act, it took me a while to figure out what the film was. Nicholson and the late Karen Black were both really good and charismatic. And I have to agree with everyone else - that ending was brilliant.
Rated 10 Oct 2013
A great character study of a man slowly destroying himself as much as possible. Everyone around him gets hurt, but survives because they have something. He seems to be able to have everything, but he is totally hollow.
Rated 12 Oct 2022
This is one film I'd love to see again with completely fresh eyes. It's easy to forget that you don't know Bobby Dupea's background during the first act of this film and that you don't know what a stunningly authentic ending it's heading towards.
Rated 04 Jun 2014
Started brilliantly and just got better, it's not just Jack; a broad-spectrum emotional and intellectual workout, the best kind of dramedy.
Rated 10 Jul 2014
Simultaneously reminiscent of the work of Bergman and Antonioni--probing psychological character study combined with the use of space and landscape to infer abstract emotional states respectively--Rafelson's film near perfectly captures a state of 'existential restlessness' that was endemic to the time period, and particularly reflective of a certain kind of 'maleness'. The effect is somewhat weakened by a few stereotypical bourgeois characters, but Nicholson and Black are unforgettable.
Rated 23 Aug 2014
I have a feeling I don't appreciate this film as much as I should because I saw all the art it influenced first.
Rated 08 Nov 2014
The true break-through performance of Nicholson's career and one of the most mesmeric character studies I've seen. The internal and external juxtapositions of Robert Dupea's life are both heartfelt and frustrating. The weak scenes have not aged well, and there are several, but the strong ones are timeless. The ending scene is nothing short of perfect.
Rated 29 Nov 2014
Nicholson shows some nice range and depth, but the movie never really gets going, even if that is kind of the point.
Rated 13 Jul 2022
The amount of disaffected-guy indie movies that owe their existence to this is immeasurable, yet this still outshines all of them. In a career full of GOAT performances this might be the best I’ve ever seen Nicholson, while the script is sad, funny, and pointed in all the best ways. It’s taken me too long to get to a lot of New Hollywood classics, but it’s quickly becoming one of my all-time favourite eras for filmmaking.
Rated 18 Sep 2015
I'm pretty blown away and annoyed that this was the second movie in a row that I saw that had the abhorrent "stupid bitch is constantly frustrated by jackass guy, but during their most heated fight they start making out" trope -- such a lazy way to invert a relationship between two characters. Apart from that, this film was relatively good, though maybe I'm kind on it because of Nicholson's performance, back when he was a hungry performer who gave a shit.
Rated 24 Apr 2016
A consistently interesting drama with nuanced characters and real depth to the world it creates - not all of which is fully explored. Nicholson gives an exceptional lead performance. Easy to imagine that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck got a few of their ideas from this mesmerising character study.
Rated 20 Dec 2021
I found this young Nicholson film in a round about way. A great find; as others have noticed, it does have a wonderful final scene.
Rated 24 Aug 2017
Yeni hollywood ile gelen birçok farklılık bugünün izleyicisi için alışılmış, bilinen şeyler. Dolayısıyla rafelson ve nicholson her ne kadar amerikan sinemasına ayrı bir bakış getiren dağınık elinin önemli parçaları olsalar da 70lerde, o donemde bugünün alışılmış numaralarının ilki olup yine de daha iyi yaslanan birçok film var. Dolayısıyla buradaki rahatsız edici eskime donem farkından çok filmle ilgili. Rafelson'un aueturluk hayalleri abartılı yani...
Rated 31 Aug 2017
it's one impressive work with characters, each personal charcter traits are shown in a particular way. Very good direction, capable of going through many different atmospheres. It's interesting to see the madness of certain kinds of people who have such strange and stupid certainties and ways of being (like the lady to whom they've given a ride and the intelectual lady) - common sense is a beautiful thing
Rated 19 Sep 2017
Jack Nicholson is outstanding in this film. The script is original and unpredictable. The supporting cast does a good job as well in this movie. Overall I highly recommend this film.
Rated 08 Jul 2018
One of the great movies that I didn't particularly enjoy. The cinematography is good, the characters are all memorable, and there's a punch-in-the-gut ending. This also had one of the greatest not-specifically-written soundtracks. But ultimately it's the story about a guy who hates himself, and there aren't a lot of reasons for the audience to cheer for him.
Rated 29 Aug 2018
Wow this was a very interesting movie. All the characters were well written and well acted and even though I didn't really like any of them I couldn't really hate them either, they were just too real.
Rated 11 Aug 2021
Despite being a product of it's era, it still has a very timeless feel to it. Nicholson is terrific and the movie just gets better as it goes.
Rated 14 Mar 2020
Seen: 2. Nicholson is great at playing an asshole. There are a few laughs here and there. And that is about all this movie has going for it. Forced drama surrounding unlikeable people.