0 rankings

Ghost in the Shell ()

Your Rating

Summary: A cyborg policewoman attempts to bring down a nefarious computer hacker. (imdb)

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!

RatingsRatings
FindFind
CollectionsCollections
StatsStats
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Ghost in the Shell belongs to 6 collections
1. Remake (public: moderated by td888 - 6 stars)
2. Clint Mansell (composer) (public: moderated by djross - 1 star)
3. Movies I've Seen In Theatres (public: moderated by SageSledge)
4. 2017: Theatrical Watchlist (public: moderated by SageSledge)
5. 2017: Complete Watchlist (public: moderated by SageSledge)
6. Big-time Hollywood science fiction (private: djross - 5 stars)

Browse the full list of collections
Show:
All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:
TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
Date User Score
Apr 27 cangogs
55T2
Apr 27 Filligan Filligan
70T3
Despite my zero attachment to the original, I went into this with low expectations and came out relatively surprised. Only in the last act does this truly fall apart. Until then it's intriguing and well-realized, and dare I say even halfway fun at times. Probably won't ever watch it again but I don't regret my two hours.
Apr 27 ellb1988
65T1
Apr 26 BionicNinjas BionicNinjas
80T7
A beautifully shot, wonderfully executed action movie that became the tipping point in the issue of representation in media.
Apr 26 Bobbles
71T6
Apr 26 Howie
4T2
Apr 25 thabear3
75T2
Apr 25 thorn969
45T5
It's... pretty. Very, very thin plot.
Apr 25 Schmalzbroud Schmalzbroud
Apr 24 Moo555
45T1
Apr 24 Godvale
84T9
Apr 24 Darren Darren
42T3
Gotta say some of the casting surprised me. It's visually pretty good but just like the Matrix and other movies of that ilk the message is just too simple trying to be deep. Haven't seen the anime but this was predictable af
Apr 23 mindvr
Apr 23 MovieCrazy21
86T9
Apr 23 KeyUtkan KeyUtkan
65T5
Its not groundbreaking. The original anime is. ITs not like Avatar, Matrix, Terminator II its not bringing something breath taking. Its kinda base on original anime and all visuals and action is just looks like upgraded Minority Report or I-Robot and even these movies were far original and ground breaking for their Era. And Scarlett is definetly a misscast. Soundtracks are fine
Apr 23 StegSchreck
80T9
Apr 23 KMcNeil KMcNeil
5T5
Apr 23 nikolajrh nikolajrh
Apr 23 theWizard_ii theWizard
9T9
all i live for in cinema, surprisingly enough. "I don't wanna scare them..." ;____;
Apr 22 dorkington
75T3
Apr 22 Corbad Corbad
65T4
Lackluster writing lets down capable, colourful visuals (Scarlett Johansson’s poorly generated CG body is balanced out by occasional moments of true cinematic beauty) and produces a pretty average movie that, in the end, features a cast more diverse than most Western films despite its—still unfortunate—whitewashing of the main character.
Apr 22 muutanet muutanet
65T6
Well, they made it more like female Terminator than Lara Croft. The story was very straight forwards and too much of gun fight. For example the future city did not reach the level of Bladerunner which was done decades earlier. Though Scarlett Johansson did dance better than she said.
Apr 22 valfuindor valfuindor
50T2
Apr 20 waffleraffle
Apr 19 bluesman bluesman
70T6
İnsanla makinanın raksı... 1995 Japon yapımı, bilimkurgu animasyonundan oldukça farklı olduğunu baştan belirtelim. Robot-insan birleşmesini, beden-ruh ikilemini bir yana atıp olabildiğince aksiyona odaklanıyor. Her şey Hanka Robotic adlı şirketin insan beynini sentetik bir bedene yerleştirmesiyle başlıyor ve bu sayede kullanılan beden sürekli tamir edilebilen bir makineye dönüşüyor. Kapitalizmin para hırsını her şeyin önüne koyması, zaten filmde harikulade şekild
Apr 19 horatio5 horatio5
63T7
Apr 19 naco77
45T2
Apr 19 gert gert
Apr 19 Ofterdingen
59T5
Looks great and I liked most of the characters, but there is something missing. A little bit of soul perhaps. In the machine.
Apr 18 KasperL KasperL
55T5
Somewhat soulless, but only a few (mainly script-related) tweaks away from being rather good.
Apr 18 Simionski Simionski
40T2
Apr 18 virtualbub virtualbub
Apr 18 OMGFridge OMGFridge
6T6
Visually, an absolute treat. Has a sluggish second act which dragged it down for me.
Apr 18 crunchycraic
Apr 17 Skerringer
61T5
Apr 17 andayb andayb
55T4
2017 Ghost is the shell of its former self. it's a day late and a dollar short on story, nothing is as exciting and groundbreaking as it was in 22 years ago, and the whole plot is dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. beautiful imagery aside, scarjo's ghost has very little going for it.
Apr 17 sid sid
Apr 15 scottmcc scott.mcc
60T4
Apr 15 coffee coffee
75T6
I haven't seen the original but I've seen Blade II more than once. Well, once more now.
Apr 15 leeloo leeloo
Apr 14 dst7175 dst7175
78T9
Apr 14 MojoJoestar MojoJoestar
75T7
While it clearly strays from it's source material, it has just enough left in tact to make this fanboy not hate it for 'getting it wrong'. The action, acting, and CGI are all top notch as well. Very fun and enjoyable cyberpunk flick.
Apr 14 spiritofeden
Apr 12 elisaima
100T6
Apr 12 Mentaculus Mentaculus
71T6
A vaguely sinister multinational constructs an idealized female human form from computers and corporate interests, only to encounter backlash when that form starts questioning its identity in a world where individuality is informed by physical attributes. Production history or plot synopsis? This film is unintentionally meta af.
Apr 12 SantaClaus SantaClaus
Apr 12 Snazz Snazz
Apr 12 explorer explorer
Apr 12 TheRealJ_Ro TheRealJ-Ro
70T5
I think what we can all agree on here is that I have absolutely zero idea where the bar is anymore for "good movie vs. bad movie" to the public. Apparently this is deemed in general to be below that bar. I think that's silly. The worst thing that I can say about this movie in my own subjective example is that it's an exercise in style over substance. That's not even a bad thing necessarily! Don't engage the race-bait arguments, they're beneath you. Just go watch a visually cool-ass movie.
Apr 11 kostas kostas
Apr 10 Kaevex
Apr 10 sezide57 sezide5à7
Apr 10 kljnsclkn
80T6
Better than expected. It diverges somehow from the original material, but I think it preserves the essencial. It is not a tradtional action movie: you do have some contemplative scenes, pauses and time to think and absorb the visuals and the concepts. It is beautiful to see. The fight scenes could be better.
Apr 10 lemi@220
80T6
Apr 10 sheeper sheeper
50T2
Apr 10 Parexus2 Parexus2
78T9
I honestly got exactly what I expected and more. You can really tell how much effort was put into this, the visuals are honestly some of the most incredible I've seen. Hands down, this was the best theater experience I've ever had and I just want to see it again and again. That being said, the script could have been better. The middle was a bit unbalanced with the greatness of the beginning and the end. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. P.S. Fuck you crybaby critics
Apr 10 ZachReviews ZachReviews
75T4
Apr 10 CalumRhys
58T1
It's a fair attempt at an adaptation, which is more than can be said for Sanders's film before. But it just falls short in too many places to really make its mark as a sci-fi great. If we were just there for the visuals, this film would be near-masterful, but that's not the case here.
Apr 10 Maus
70T3
Apr 10 ArkadyFalls
55T4
Actually pretty decent on its own merits, with good action and great looking effects. But the story is so thin compared to all the animated work in the canon. The central spiritual question of what makes a human ghost different from an advanced AI is completely absent here, and the story that plays out instead has been told a million times in other movies. A missed opportunity.
Apr 10 ephedrin ephedrin
70T8
Nice try... They needed to work more on the details.
Apr 09 winski
Apr 09 jsopanen jsopanen
52T5
Apr 08 Kmilchev1 Kmilchev1
75T8
If you think there is whitewashing you are fucking stupid. The surroundings was recreated perfectly, the major was portrayed brilliantly, the film had a lof of well acted action scenes and several philosophical moments which resembled the atmosphrere of Shirow's original creation.
Apr 08 Randy Marsh
Apr 07 musapaca
67T2
Apr 06 Luna6ix Luna6ix
79T7
Some plot details are a little thin, but the same could be said for the anime, or the majority of anime in general. Where this movie stands out is in presentation of a fully realized future, where holograms litter the streets, buildings loom for hundreds of stories, cybernetic augmentations of all shapes and sizes. Many sci-fi movies would like you to believe that the future is just a place where cars are shinier, but this movie does not, and that is something I can get behind.
Apr 06 igormachete igormachete
44T1
Such a waste of potential. This could have been a magnificent sci-fi movie with a unique setting, interesting characters and great action. Instead what we've got is just another generic dumb action garbage flick with everything in it happening not to advance the story or develop the characters, but just to make this exact scene look cool. Even the special effects aren't so great – Johanssons rubber ass jumping around doesn't look convincing at all.
Apr 06 sargon144 sargon144
Apr 06 casper11
31T3
Apr 06 hamstercan
64T5
i didnt like the stretched story, id be happier with scene by scene copy of the original
Apr 06 LethianDream LethianDream
Apr 03 Suda_Balk Suda Balık
80T7
Apr 03 Gideon Gideon
1T3
A rather vapid showcase in style over substance
Apr 03 eleanor eleanor
53T6
Apr 03 DavidBlast DavidBlast
50T5
RoboCop's younger sister is broody and serious with an alluring aura of self-importance. Once you talk to her, you find that she’s not much smarter than her older brother, and although less violent, she’s also infinitely less fun to be around. But Sweet Mother of Jesus is she a looker.
Apr 03 racuna racuna
100T10
Apr 03 Giskard Giskard
Apr 03 lynchian
52T3
Apr 03 Tazurel
Apr 03 FrederikA FrederikA
65T7
For better or worse this feels pretty true to the old school manga feel with stunning visuals, interesting sci-fi concepts and as much wooden dialogue as it can hold. With the exception of one amazingly ineptly written scene (the tea time exposition filler) and the end scene's (I'm guessing) involuntarily funny juxtaposition of "free will FTW!" VO with her literally doing what she's told, this was quite enjoyable.
Apr 03 SageSledge
30T2
Aesthetically pleasing, but nothing more, "Ghost In The Shell" is hopelessly inept in every sense of the word, with woeful performances, shoddy direction, and storytelling so stagnant that it puts everyone involved to shame.
Apr 03 cncnmovies cncnmovies
Apr 03 spaddex
64T3
Apr 03 FarCryss Suture Self
6T6
The whitewashing is a problem (mainly because it's an unecessary distraction and sets itself up for a lot of jokes), the dialogue is often horrendous, and the villain has very little charisma, but the world itself is marvelous (aside from the god damn holograms; holograms annoy me), and the plotting moves along nicely. The themes it touches upon are simple but relatable and revolve around a cliched but powerful question: Where does humanity end and technology begin? Better than Johnny Mnemonic.
Apr 02 pandas pandas
5T6
Apr 02 ventura ventura
Apr 02 Hassan69 Hassan69
89T8
Apr 02 dunetails
65T5
It is with a heavy heart that I must tell you GITS is problematic. It looks great,pretty much a daytime blade runner, but it's seriously dumbed down and they make a colossal racial clusterfuck given the calls of white washing. The only character that rings true is Batou and to some extent Aramaki. The rest of them don't get to do much. I don't get why you'd make this plot given the material you could mine instead.
Apr 02 scy scy
89T4
Apr 02 EgOo EgOo
Apr 02 Stewball Stewball
60T3
Not very inspired, or original, but mildly entertaining.
Apr 02 CatScandal
71T7
Apr 02 TrixRabbi TrixRabbi
77T6
Apr 01 siphus007 siphus007
69T3
An adequate homage, of sorts, and reimagining of the anime film from 1995, although for a fan of the original, one may make comparisons during key sequences and repeatedly find this rendition notably inferior. Still, with refreshingly impressive performances from supporting roles like Takeshi Kitano and Kaori Momoi, and decent stylization, I'm not mad I paid to see this. It has to be Cowboy Bebop next.
Apr 01 DrHovin
Apr 01 sacmersault
69T5
Apr 01 Exirel
60T5
Disappointing: made for 3D screen but it lacks all what made the original a good movie. The first part is not interesting, convoluted and rushed, and the second part is quite good - but not enough to save the film. Without comparing it to the original, this movie failed what others did in the same genre, so no excuse.
Apr 01 blucthulhu
Apr 01 eminsr eminsr
60T1
Apr 01 deaddilly deaddilly
70T6
Was hoping for a post-credits Bill Murray reveal.
Apr 01 CarsonWid
57T4
It seemed more like an origin for a Ghost in the Shell franchise instead of an actual GitS story, and it wasn't a very interesting one at that. Dialogue was cringe-worthy and the visuals/action weren't good enough to make up for it.
Apr 01 aybo
Apr 01 bmmello
83T8
Apr 01 guvolefou guvolefou
60T2
Avşar Sinemaları - Kozzy.
Apr 01 sellis
54T3
Truly awful dialogue, sometimes laughably so. A little too serious, too sure of its own coolness. I saw it because of the marketing and having complete trust in Johanssen's career choices. In many ways it's like last year's Dr Strange - moments of trance-like visual and audio splendor, but otherwise shallow. This has more glaring structural issues - the use of Michael Pitt and understanding the stakes each step of the way. The ending treats it like typical superhero fare. Beat Kitano, tho
Apr 01 onrkrsvglu onrkrsvglu
68T4
Apr 01 yikimagiden yikimagiden
75T7
Animeye sıkı sıkıya bağlı ilk yarısı 85, animeden sapmaya başladığı an, tipik kovalamaca-kaçmaya dönüşüyor, felsefesi azalıyor; ikinci yarı 70. Ortalama 75 puan.
Apr 01 avgcrtckr avgcrtckr
Mar 31 Vassago Vassago
74T7
Mar 31 JackRyan2014 JackRyan2014
60T6
Amazing visual effects and a great soundtrack along with impressive costumes and world design mesh to create a striking aesthetic. It had some interesting ideas which weren't fully fleshed out and the Hanka bad guy was pretty rubbish. The arguments levelled about whitewashing/race-bending ended up addressed as a quite distasteful plot point. I liked the build up of the first 2/3rds but as the plot unfolded I started losing interest up to the meh ending. Overall however it was fairly enjoyable.
Mar 31 temper114 temper114
Mar 31 Amaranth
55T2
Mar 31 BadFurDay
9T10
This movie isn't anything new or groundbreaking, but it was so well done that I have a hard time saying anything negative about it. Gorgeous cinematography, strong acting, decent plot, and it seems to respect its origins without being a carbon copy. I went into the movie being told by friends and criticts alike that it was bad, and got very positively surprised.
Mar 31 Iwantham Iwantham
77T5
Mar 30 Orfonso Orfonso
Mar 30 Averman004
Mar 30 mattnawrocki
Mar 30 Criminal5 Alex Watkins
4T8
Explicitly foregrounds the identity concerns that were touched on in the original film, while deftly drawing links between dehumanization, globalism, corporatism, and the deep state, so that it recalls RoboCop as much as anything else, right down to that film's ending, its irony played without a wink and a nod. It's far more remix than remake, and complements (and criticizes) the original rather than rendering it obsolete. And if you're worried that it's a mindless actioner, don't be.
Mar 30 amanohyo amanohyo