2016
Sci-fi
Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, paranormal enthusiasts Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates, nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann, and subway worker Patty Tolan band together to stop the otherworldly threat. (imdb)

2016
Sci-fi

Rated 20 Jul 2016
Felt like an Adam Sandler script in terms of laziness regarding both humor and actual plot development. Too much improvisation that seemed to always end up devolving into a competition on who can do/say the weirdest thing. Effects seem to bother a lot of people but I can't say I was too concerned about it. They didn't knock my socks off but I didn't hate them. I like the people involved but I just can't get behind it. It's corporate led garbage that had controversy that inflated it's importance.
Rated 15 Jul 2016
I loved all the cameos. Bill Murray as the scientist guy. Dan Akroyd as a cabbie. Ernie Hudson as the funeral parlor guy. And Harold Ramis as a ghost. After his scene he went back to spinning in his grave.
Rated 19 Jul 2016
Just to get it out of the way, I was never on board with the hate campaign. It never bothered me that this was a female remake. If I had to describe this film in one word, it would be a toss-up between "lazy" or "uninspired". It was like they made a movie out of a Disney channel sitcom and filled the cast with SNL members. It's relentlessly jokey, desperate joke-a-minute type stuff. No characters. No grounding in reality. Fart jokes, crotch jokes. Very low brow. For middle-schoolers only.
Rated 07 Aug 2016
Objectively awful reboot full of network tv style humor. Everything revolves around cheap one off jokes involving feminism, race, or situational humor. Very cheap looking CGI. Bad pacing, lame comedy, and zero suspense compared to the original comedy horror film. This is a needless reboot that seems to have been driven more by politics than good film making. Unfortunately the entire cast is wasted on this. This is about on par with Fantastic Four when it comes to ill conceived reboots.
Rated 15 Jul 2016
Bustin' still makes me feel good. If you hate this your penis is small and stupid and bad like your opinions on the sacred Ghostbuster lore. The worst part about Ghostbusters 2016 is Ghostbusters 1984
Rated 05 Dec 2016
Ray Parker Jr. called me last night to ask if people would think he was a misogynist because he hated Fall Out Boy's remake of the Ghostbusters theme. I told him yes. I told him it would also make him a racist. And a pedophile. And a ghost.
Rated 20 Jul 2016
This is a movie that I'm glad exists. I'm glad it spits in the face of the unreasonable hatred from adult virgins moaning about ruined childhoods, by actually being fun in spots, and never becoming BAD. There is totally an audience for this movie that is going to have a lot of fun with it, and if it translates into even a small percentage of this film's audience seeking out the original, I can't hate that. But it's a lot of so-called "relevant" comedy, which sometimes hits and sometimes misses.
Rated 04 Jul 2016
Feminazism will never be a thing I as a white heterosexual male can get used to. Fuck this movie, wholeheartedly, from the depths of my raging alpha male soul ;)
Rated 24 Jul 2016
The effects look nice and I chuckled a few times. Other than that, it's absolutely horrendous. There aren't really any jokes, and the leads have no chemistry and are absolutely devoid of any semblance of comedic timing. It isn't migraine-inducing Transformers bad, but nearly every single second misses whatever mark they were trying to hit, which leads leads to a bland and boring experience. The whole time you'll be wondering why this was made and why you're watching.
Rated 16 Jul 2016
"That wasn't so terrible at all", the last 'self aware' line of a film seemingly confident it had proven it's critics wrong. Unfortunately I felt the opposite. For the record, I couldn't care less that it's 4 females, nor do I worship the original. I simply found it to be completely unfunny. Nothing it tried seemed to work for me so ultimately it was a big let down. I'm happy for those who enjoyed it, but I must be the wrong audience for this film as 'terrible' sounds pretty spot on to me.
Rated 16 Jul 2016
SPOILERS! My favorite part of this movie was when Bill Murray showed up as a skeptic and Kristen Wiig tried to prove that ghosts are real by releasing a ghost and the ghost threw Bill Murray out a window and killed him and everybody sorta laughed and the movie cut to the next scene and we were all supposed to forget that a murder had just taken place that the main character was responsible for. Yay Ghostbusters.
Rated 16 Jul 2016
This film is pretty bustin'. The funniest thing about this film is all the man babies getting ~REAL MAD~ about their precious lil childhood film. Of course, if you ask them, it's not about sexism/misogny (these words act like 'Bloody Mary' on the internet -- say them enough and an MRA will appear), but about the 4000 other words they have taken the time to write. In the end, a fun film. Wanna see McKinnon in everything.
Rated 23 May 2017
Now that the dumbest debate on the Internet has died down, it's finally safe to say, that the only real problem with this remake is Paul Feig. He approaches this franchise the way Joel Schumacher did with Tim Burton's 'Batman'.
Rated 28 Sep 2016
Nickelodeon's Ghostbusters
Rated 13 Jul 2016
God damn but did I have a hell of a good time with the film. It has its issues for sure - the villain is weak, character motivations and arcs are barely explored, and Feig doesn't have the chops for the third-act climactic action - but the script is full of great lines which the lead actors elevate with impeccable performances. References and cameos are meh but minor enough to not be an issue, and McKinnon is absolutely brilliant. Funnier than the original, but probably a worse movie. COME AT ME
Rated 16 Jul 2016
It's fine. There are funny bits and not so funny bits. I enjoyed the cameos. It's a flat review after all the hoo-ha, but it's the most accurate I can be. Sony's trailer people need firing.
Rated 23 Jul 2016
Pleasantly surprised actually - definitely didn't deserve the hate it got before it was even released. A bit hit and miss in the script and a bit choppy in the editing but worth the ride I suppose.
Rated 27 Jul 2016
Quite disappointing. The ghosts look great, but the script is weak and the characters are very underdeveloped. I love Kate McKinnon, but I can't for the life of me understand her or the director's or the writers' choices for her character especially. My 8yo niece wasn't that entertained either.
Rated 25 Jul 2016
People need to cool their jets a bit. I didn't love it and it doesn't touch the 1984 gem, but there was an 8 year old girl sitting next to me singing the theme song and telling her mom the ranking of characters she liked best. That is what I did 30 years ago. Points.
Rated 23 Sep 2016
What a swell and fun time! Too bad I just really hate women.
Rated 20 Jul 2016
Most of the first 30 minutes are rough, as it's where the movie's flaws - awful editing, poor pacing and a script with as many duds as zingers - are most evident. Thankfully, it gets better as it goes. Feig does a decent job with the material, but even he pales in comparison to the main cast. This is a good group of actors who elevate decent material and make it thrive. The supporting cast keeps it 100, too, but this is the McCarthy/Wiig/McKinnon/Jones show, and it's a pretty good one!
Rated 24 Sep 2016
I can't believe I've waited a lifetime and endured two years of controversy for this piece of shit
Rated 28 Jul 2016
Kate McKinnon basically makes this movie worth watching.
Rated 19 Jul 2016
I kinda dug this. For some, it will be what they wanted it to be, and for others, not so much. Ghostbusters has a lot cheap CGI and a few crude jokes that aren't needed, but those factors didn't take away my enjoyment. McKinnon and Jones are great. It's a movie about female Ghostbusters and it seamlessly uses that to its advantage. I really didn't think this was bad, it's just definitely not the originals. A fun time nonetheless save for some awful jokes.
Rated 27 Jul 2016
I don't know if it's a necessary remake, but much like the original it's a tremendously entertaining one, with a serviceable script that just provides an arena for the cast to play off each other perfectly and hit their own beats rather than trying to replicate Aykroyd & Co's. I'm trying to find some genuine faults with it and I'm coming up all Fall Out Boy. Oh, and someone please cast Kate McKinnon in every movie ever made in the future, TIA.
Rated 28 Jul 2016
A positive surprise. A good reboot in that it follows the ideas behind the original and does its own take on them, instead of just copying. Like the original it's centered on an ensemble cast with good chemistry having fun while sort of following a script. Finding the references to the old movie and cameos of the original cast is a fun game to play while watching, but it really stands on its own. McKinnon is boss, and adds many funny quirks, like her character's constant flirting with Wiig.
Rated 22 Feb 2017
Feminism's amazing achievement.
Rated 12 Jun 2018
The likeable leads are the best thing about this despite an iffy script. A lot of it just doesn't work, which is a shame because there are some decent ideas at its core. Passes the time, but this was either a missed or a poorly-chosen opportunity.
Rated 12 Oct 2016
Ghostbusters (2016) represents the precise cultural moment where bad remakes and bad politics joined and became mutually reinforcing. Widely touted as a 'feminist' reimagining of the original franchise, the virtue signalling is completely off the charts, reminding us every minute that women are just as good at science, kicking arse and saving the world as men, just in case you hadn't noticed. It functions best as an unknowing critique of the poor state of contemporary gender discourse.
Rated 16 Jul 2016
An amazing cast, stellar effects, and a funny script allow this reboot to take flight in all the right ways. Though it doesn't exceed expectations, it does make a case for repeat viewings to uncover the subtler jokes.
Rated 17 Jul 2016
Horrifyingly bad. All this movie managed to do is reinforce the stereotype that women can't be funny.
Rated 17 Jul 2016
i had many laughs and giggles. most of the time from an old jokes or from jokes from 1984 when the first part was made. If you haven't watched the origin for a long time... well you wont remember all. But as I'm watching it after this "comedy of 2016" i have worse and worse impression from Gal's Busters. I would be into it with NEW IDEA, with MORE AGRESSIVE PLOT, with SOMETHING THAT THEY WANNA SHOCK AUDIENCE WITH. Whole movie was like a cheap version of soup you ate at your grandma's 10years ago
Rated 29 Sep 2016
This reimagining of the Ghostbusters doesn't detract from the original, and even manages to establish itself as its own thing...unfortunately, not for me. I sighed more than I laughed, especially at the unending parade of cameos (literally, there's one after the credits). The direction is horrible, and the film has a Nickelodeon original movie feel to it. The plot and the jokes are lazy. I didn't mind some of the design choices and McKinnon was the only one who truly fits into this new universe.
Rated 17 Nov 2016
Who you gonna call? Definitely not these ghostbusters .... My review here : http://opinion-as-a-moviefreak.blogspot.be/2016/11/ghostbusters-2016.html
Rated 28 Nov 2016
Once again the vitriolic atrocity of an all woman cast turns out to be wicked hyperbole. This film has tons of chuckles, mostly from the quiet snide comments from Wiig, McCarthy and McKinnon. Hemsworth has some good gags as well. It's not great, but its the second best Ghostbusters film.
Rated 28 Jul 2016
Really fun! Like an '80s movie with all the pointless filler taken out and modern characterization and thematic resonance added. It keeps the same aesthetic and sense of humor as the original, but the jokes are funnier - mostly because they have funnier targets. I want this to be the new bar for comedy-adventure, please!
Rated 03 Aug 2016
This film's worst critics are those who grew up with the original as a formative part of their identity and tastes, but this is of an entirely different breed and should be evaluated as such. To try and capture the palpable sarcasm of the original would be folly, so Feig and co. are wise to steer this to their comfort zone. Much of the humor in this is reminiscent of Spy, which was warmly embraced, but because this is an established property, Ghostbusters gets the shaft. It shouldn't.
Rated 03 Aug 2016
Ghostbusters has the polish of a somewhat interesting movie that fails to execute much in terms of what makes a good movie. The cast is pretty alright, with Kate McKinnon as the standout, but the dialogue and comedy is very hit or miss, favoring the latter. Couple this with a weird progression into a weirder last act, and its hard to know exactly what to think of this film. I can just say there were moments that I couldn't take. It just wasn't my thing, in terms of comedy or adventure.
Rated 20 Jul 2016
Experiencing quickfire modern wit in a campy 80s movie is a little unsettling, but certainly enjoyable while it lasts. The leads are hilarious and Chris Hemsworth steals every scene.
Rated 26 Nov 2016
It's a film I wish was so much better, but there's no getting around that it's largely shite. "Ghostbusters" rests heavily on the natural comic talents of Wiig and McCarthy; but with such a poor screenplay, a complete non-villian, a disorganised storyline and dreadful special effects there's so little here to enjoy. Add in pointless cameos, horrible riffs on the brilliant original and McKinnon's hate-worthy performance and there's sadly nothing noteworthy to recommend.
Rated 18 Jul 2016
It's not transcendent (but neither was the original). It was a fun, silly blockbuster. Its problems were not unique to this movie -- the villain was a little underdeveloped and story that didn't really work if you thought about it too hard. But it was absolutely wonderful to watch a movie with female leads kicking butt without the need to be sexy or the need to pine over a dude. We definitely need more movies like that.
Rated 27 Sep 2016
It's not very funny, only having a spot or two where I mildly chuckled, and there are certainly some TERRIBLE gags that make me question everything. There's also the dreadful FoB theme. The original Ghostbusters implemented its amazing theme poorly (sorry), but I dig the updated version of it here and think they used it well in the final action sequence. That chick got badass! It's actually a fairly entertaining flick with a little heart. Certainly flawed, but not bad. I enjoyed it.
Rated 15 Jul 2016
2016's Ghostbusters will likely be remembered not for anything that happened on the silver screen, but for its pre-release hate and controversy. That's really too bad, because the movie is a good-not-great reboot that actually tries to do some things differently with its premise. Its cast is great, its screenplay is funny, and the special effects are good. It's messy, the action isn't tremendous, and the characters are amiable but not particularly deep. It's more than serviceable.
Rated 01 Mar 2019
An unfunny and unnecessary remake of the 1984 classic that wastes the comedic talents of its lead actors. The witty sarcasm and charm of the original have been replaced with juvenile humour and cynical nostalgia aimed at Gen-X'ers. Hardly the political statement it was made out to be back in 2016, rather another forgettable remake from an era in Hollywood that was already overcrowded with them.
Rated 27 Jul 2020
The originals were a child obsession, but I was excited for a gender-swapping remake. McKinnon aside, the casting feels off, and the script is mostly awkward and unfunny. Ironically this do-over re-uses all the worst elements, including the impotent antagonist, undermined in the final act, when they could have doubled down on the enfeebled misogynist schtick. Fun turn by Hemsworth who should've been the villain instead. Poor writing and a sadly missed opportunity. Innovative SFX on the blu-ray.
Rated 15 Jun 2020
True to the spirit of the original films by being boring and shitty
Rated 31 Jul 2016
My low rating has nothing to do with it being an all female cast, but all with it being just an unfunny uninspired dull movie.
Rated 26 Jul 2019
It's mediocre, thanks to writing that's often awkward and contrived and a plot that doesn't make a whole lot of sense (especially in the final act-where did the villain get these powers all of a sudden?). That's probably half due to the campy concept though, and the film with its solid main quartet does well at matching it with a goofy-fun vibe throughout that's enjoyable even when the jokes don't land (Jillian's lip-syncing and Kevin's interview are bits that definitely do though-I lol'd).
Rated 03 Aug 2016
Like every comedy movie that isn't pure, the jokes get bogged down by some tepid action sequences. Can't see myself ever wanting to watch this again but it's certainly got a charm that the original ghostbusters doesn't have. If McKinnon isn't a star after this role than I don't know what could make her. Loved her on SNL(p sure my bro and I are the only ones still watching the program in 2016) for years hope she becomes the next big thing cuz she rules!
Rated 07 Aug 2016
I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed this. It's not a great movie! It doesn't deserve any awards! But it does get a lot of laughs. Chris Hemsworth should be ashamed. He's given up acting to be a Ken Doll? Someone who did kick ass though: Kate McKinnon! Who the hell is she and where did she come from? Melissa McCarthy was naturally lackluster at best. Kristen Wiig was a good lead, and Leslie Jones did well in the roll they gave her. But Kate McKinnon was in your face epic!
Rated 30 Jan 2017
This film simply shouldn't exist. The cgi was worse than the haunted mansion ride, the jokes and writing was bland and predictable. The plot was so simplistic and boring it felt like a chore to watch.
Rated 15 Jul 2016
Before I saw this movie I saw a license plate that said "666 NED" and I thought it was a sign
Rated 27 Jul 2016
I really liked this movie. I mean at first I wasn't so sure, but it was pretty good. I definitely don't think it deserved the hate It got before it was even released, though it wasn't a perfect movie. McKinnon was favorite with Leslie Jones being a close second. I mean, i liked, and if you don't than go screw yourself!
Rated 06 Sep 2016
What I got outside of the parts where I wasn't drooling profusely on my keyboard over Chris Hemsworth (how I comprehend any movie he is in beats me, like he's so distracting) was a movie with safe jokes and a boring plot. Really, aiming for par is the smart move when you have this much trouble to stir just by existing as a movie alone, and I don't blame them for that at all. It just would have been nice if the script were better. Nice cameos and yay for lots of female characters with agency!!!
Rated 04 Oct 2021
I was never a big fan/nostalgic for the original film, and I like the idea of a gender-swapped reboot, but there's a lot of bad things about this: The barrage of product placement, the unfunny attempts at "relevent" or "modern" jokes, the weird editing and pacing, the weak villain, the lifeless action scenes, the lacking sense of mystery. McKinnon was great though, and the only member of the ensemble who felt like she was playing a character and not just an exaggerated version of herself.
Rated 25 Jul 2016
McKinnon stole the show
Rated 17 Mar 2019
I'm not really sure what I expected here. Sure, it isn't as loathsome as the average Sandler comedy but it never sustains any laughs for any period of time. This is because the lack of script is exposed in almost every scene and it never builds a consistent tone as a result. There are no characters because everybody takes turns acting crazier and weirder in most scenes. It's also bizarrely oversaturated so everything is visually ugly and terrible to look at. It's just a mess.
Rated 19 Jul 2016
Better than the media, reviews and previews made it appear. Not much to laugh at but a lot of smiles.
Rated 25 Aug 2016
A perfectly adequate movie. It had a few laughs, some neat scenes, fun character interactions. It did everything a movie needed to do to be a movie. It even had the Avengers fight scene at the end of it. Boy this sure was a movie.
Rated 17 Oct 2016
what i want to do with kate mckinnon
Rated 23 Jul 2016
Melissa McCarthy isn't funny. Stop casting her in comedies. Apart from that this was a lot better than I expected (a lot of trailer people need to be fired). Wiig and McKinnon are great, and for a 2010s reboot of an 80s/90s franchise, this is far better than your average. It is contrived as hell and has a lot of missteps but it's enjoyable entertaiment.
Rated 17 Jul 2016
An average modern comedy. Mostly funny, but with few laugh out loud moments. Comedy is sacrificed for the "action" parts, but it's just wasted because the stakes never really feel that high and the action climax is rather dull. Still, not a bad film. Kate McKinnon steals the show.
Rated 26 Sep 2016
I don't mind that they made an all-female and P.C. Ghostbusters movie, as much as how stale it is when the original was so fresh (and still is really).
Rated 11 Apr 2018
Ghostbusters was a surprising treat for a fan. The performers, traditionally from SNL, are all hilarious. The film may not be as memorable or as quotable, it works well on it's own as an entertaining Sci-Fi comedy with some interesting new ideas to present. Here's hoping Kate McKinnon is a fixture on our screens for years to come.
Rated 10 Aug 2016
I had a lot of fun with this movie. It didn't even try to be like the original - it made its own thing. I can respect that! I honestly like a new and more modern take on the Ghostbusters, it makes sense and it didn't feel forced. Of course, the story wasn't all that deep and the characters are mostly clichés but come on - it's a blockbuster comedy, what did you expect? Also Kate McKinnon is definitely my new girl crush and thank the gods for Chris Hemsworth in this movie.
Rated 27 Jul 2016
Will never be remembered as fondly as the original, but it doesn't need to be. An excellent movie on its own merits.
Eh, good enough
Rated 21 Jul 2016
The script wasn't great, and the editing could've been a lot tighter. That being said, I really loved the cast and thought they carried the film to a very funny final product. I had several genuine good laughs and, while it falls short of the original, I would be happy to return to this version for any sequels.
Rated 20 Sep 2016
Surprisingly enjoyable reboot; I'm not a particular fan of the original, so I was able to take it for what it was, and on the whole, I liked it. The plot is a bit messy (there are obvious signs of recutting), and the script is a touch more uneven than it should be, but the cast is spirited enough to carry it through; I don't quite see why Kate McKinnon has been so acclaimed for her performance, but Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth are both delightful (McCarthy and Wiig are quite solid as well).
Rated 16 Jul 2016
Generally fun, but not half as funny as the original (though to be fair, the original Ghostbusters had some of the funniest people who have ever lived working on it). Special effects looked pretty good to me, Kate McKinnon is going to be a star, and the ones who decided to hate the film without even seeing it can blow me.
Rated 22 Jul 2016
Yeah it's an over hyped blockbuster, but like A GOOD BLOCKBUSTER. Great cast, good comedic writing, and the the special effects are on point in a nostalgic Disney Haunted Mansion kind of way. Now with that being said the story arc is lacking and aside from wiig the characters are underdeveloped (especially the villain, and Mckinnon's character while funny was very quirky without much explanation at all). Ultimately though its just a fun popcorn flick, that could have easily been better or worse.
Rated 24 Aug 2016
Honestly, this movie wasn't good. It wasn't awful either. It just felt plain unnecessary. Like there was no need for this movie to ever be made or to ever exist. The funny bits were ruined by Chris Hemsworth cast in the role of a Jar Jar. People who hate on this movie for the all-female cast confuse me, though. They did their job just fine, and didn't insist at all on the fact that it was a female squad other than a couple quick jokes. I don't get the negativity on that.
Rated 12 Sep 2016
Hilarious at times, unfortunately the 'ghostbusting' parts don't work. The last third of the film weighs it down as the humour is sidelined and the action takes over.
funny movie
Rated 24 Sep 2016
Nemám nic proti. Letní velkofilm/komedie. Ženy mi tam nevadily. Pořadí vtipnosti - bloncka, černoška, McCarthy, Zrzka. Zrzka tam hraje roli, která mě vyloženě rozčiluje. Nejvíc křečovitého hraní jsem viděl u té černošky. Vizuál dobrý, triky, pěkná podívaná. Bojovou scénu bloncky během posledních bojů jsem si vychutnával. Spousta cameo. Jedno i v závěrečných titulcích. Thor byl vtipný hlavně v přijímací scéně kde přichází do děje a předvádí kdo j
Rated 22 Jul 2016
For a film that was supposed to ruin numerous childhoods, GHOSTBUSTERS actually plays it pretty safe. It isn't quite as eccentric as the original--few summer blockbusters are permitted to go a degree beyond "offbeat" these days--but the chemistry of its cast is just as electric. Despite Sony's strange notion of making this film the start of some multi-film mythology, Paul Feig is smart to keep the focus on the humor and heart of GHOSTBUSTERS' workaday heroes.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
I am not sure why I continued to watch this after about 35 minutes. It just became a sloppy mess of attempted one liners by a bunch of actresses I know deep down are all talented this was just a bad career choice. This movie flat out sucked. I am not sure I can name a comedy movie that was as unfunny and dragged as much as this did after about 35 minutes.
Rated 18 Jul 2016
Probably more enjoyable than the original. Kate McKinnon is hilarious
Rated 05 Jan 2017
I liked the first 5 minutes and the Swayze joke, the rest was awful. It's a CGI-heavy film with cheap-looking effects. The script is miserable, a carbon copy of the original film with all the life sucked out of it. The star-studded supporting cast only distracts, the cameo's of the old crew are pointless. The original movie worked because it was *original*, the actors had chemistry and the jokes were funny. This is just a sad, lazy nostalgia trip. And the black member still isn't a scientist...
Rated 06 Aug 2016
Kudos for the effort and it's not terrible but the film is kinda 'meh'. It wasn't as funny as I expected (given the cast involved) and the big problem for me was believing there was any real danger or that the characters were really friends (also, they tried too hard with Chris Hemsworth's character). Majority of the laughs go to Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones (both of whom I love from SNL), and the spot-the-cameos is kinda fun too.
Rated 15 Jun 2020
the odds of NO jokes landing is as likely as EVERY joke landing, so really in an alternate universe, this is the funniest movie ever !
Rated 21 Jul 2016
Enjoyable and entertaining but a bit shallow in its plot and character development.
Rated 24 Oct 2016
It's totally the whacky big budget shenanigans i was hoping for and captures the tone of the first 2 just updated for an audience 30 years on. I love the cast, and even enjoyed Jones despite finding her pretty terrible on snl when she gets the spotlight. Laughed nearly non-stop and when it unleashes into something like an especially over the top doctor who episode i was damn giddy.
Rated 09 Dec 2016
I didn't even know that Pixels had a terrible cousin. An embarrassment for everyone involved. Is Kate McKinnon really supposed to be funny? I mean, seriously??
Rated 21 Feb 2017
Unfortunately this film is hard to separate from the original it's remaking, or the controversy the films cast and production garnered from the start. Somehow a Ghostbusters' film became politically divisive with one trailer. Where keyboards clashed as Feminazis battled basement dwelling neck bearded trolls in the mine fields that are YouTube comments. Ultimately, just a "meh" of a comedy, closer akin to better version of "Pixels"(2015) than anything in tone with the original or its' spin-offs.
Rated 08 Jan 2018
This is worse than The Shallows, is this even possible?!
Rated 02 May 2019
I fell asleep in the theater during the original and thought this reboot was actually better. It's some of the best cast of SNL plus Melissa McCarthy and Chris Hemsworth. What is there not to love? I did take a couple points off for being longer than it should have been. I'd like a sequel though.
Rated 05 Jan 2019
Loved it. Haters gonna hate.
Rated 04 Jan 2017
No big whup and no big fat flop either, the female reboot of Ghostbusters settles for being a fine, fun time at the movies. So ease up, fanboys, these scrappy women are the best thing this gender-swapped Ghostbusters has going for it. Slime Ghostbusters all you want for its lazy reliance on CGI gimmicks and its lapses in pacing -- but there's no faulting the ladies. In a summer of macho bluster, they sure as hell know how to raise spirits.
Rated 22 Aug 2016
STOP FUCKING DANCING HOLY SHIT
Rated 13 Oct 2016
I wanted to like this movie, but it just made so little sense, and most of the jokes fell very flat.
Rated 10 Nov 2018
Completely forgettable, but since it’s a reboot of a beloved movie it must first be insulted and then forgotten. Poo poo film.
Rated 11 Sep 2016
Thirty-two years after Ghostbusters first splattered the big screen with green goop, Hollywood (specifically, execs at Sony) has decided it's time for a reboot. Only this time, filmmakers have flipped the casting roles: They've tapped an all-female gaggle of 'busters and put a guy in the role of the objectified "pretty young thing" who's eventually possessed by a malevolent spirit. (pluggedin.com)
Rated 28 Dec 2016
There were some extremely funny scenes... the movie wasn't great
Rated 18 Oct 2016
I fell asleep during the final battle scene and did not bother to rewind to watch it. It just doesn't click and it is really badly directed.
Rated 25 Oct 2016
It's the same as the original but without the magic.
Rated 27 Dec 2016
It's way too long and Paul Feig, unsurprisingly, has absolutely zero knack for narrative, making him an odd choice for this project. There's a point where the Ghostbusters have suddenly solved the mystery, but we never even see them look for the pieces. Just bizarre, clueless storytelling. He's able to assemble some solid comedic elements but just can't fit them together at all.
Rated 05 Jul 2024
The only problem with this movie comes down to toxic masculinity. This movie couldn't have come out at a worse time. We were in the run-up to Trump winning the presidency. It was the beginning of a very dark time in our past. Do I think the movie was perfect? No. I do think it had a ton of laughs. I laughed as much if not more than I did for the original movie. I felt that the four women all worked really well together and they took the characters in their own directions. I want part two.
Rated 26 Mar 2017
Ultimately uneccessary rebooting of the Ghostbusters franchise brings nothing new to the table, outside of the stunt female casting of the 'busters, but the women's magical chemistry together, capped by a hilarious supporting bit for Hemsworth, makes you wish for a cleverer and more genuinely funny script. Picks up steam as it goes along, and benefits from effects that (largely) resemble the pre-CGI of the original film. Props to scene-stealer McKinnon, whose chemistry with Wiig is electric.
Rated 10 Sep 2016