Gladiator
Amazon VideoApple TVParamount PlusParamount Plus Apple TV Channel Google Play MoviesVudu
Microsoft Store
Gladiator-2000
Gladiator-2000

Gladiator

2000
Drama, Action
Maximus is a powerful Roman general, loved by the people and the aging Emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Before his death, the Emperor chooses Maximus to be his heir over his own son, Commodus, and a power struggle leaves Maximus and his family condemned to death. The powerful general is unable to save his family, and his loss of will allows him to get captured and put into the Gladiator games until he dies.
Microsoft Store

I could quibble about the historical inaccuracies, the predictable revenge-driven plot, and the sometimes-wonky CGI, but those issues are minor next to how big, brawny, and just plain badass this movie is. It's a capital-E Epic with the kind of primal power missing from most modern cinema. The stellar acting, directing, and cinematography give the ancient Roman world a vitality rarely seen on film. Masterpiece soundtrack to boot.
(after repeat viewings) I'm not ashamed to admit this used to be my favourite film back when I was 12; Watching it now, I have a beef with its rather pompous attitude. Mostly a spectacle for the eyes and ears. The acting, however, is formidable, notably Phoenix, you beard growing lunatic. Not the best film ever made but hard to dislike because it looks and feels so great.
Just awesome. Joaquin Phoenix plays the perfect villain to Crowe's Maximus. A great score, great cinematography, great choreography...all on top of this epic story and you have a winner.
As subtle as Hannibal marching his elephants down the mountainside Gladiator is an old fashion, larger than life epic mainly carried by the synergy between Scott's aestetics and Zimmer's orchestration.
Overrated to death but still pretty good. Joaquin Phoenix is so good in this I hated him in the next 3 movies I saw him in.

Last modified by:garethmgarethm on 12 Aug 2015