Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla-King-of-the-Monsters-2019

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

2019
Fantasy, Action
The crypto-zoological agency Monarch faces off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. (imdb)
Franchises: Godzilla, MonsterVerse
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
TNT
TBS
tru TV

Oh, good, family drama bullshit in the movie about dealing with the existence of world-ending-threat (behe)moths. Oh, good, once shit goes down it's just blue or orange saturated scenes of weightless CGI creatures draining my reasons to care. Yeah, that's what I came here for. No, it's fine, I'll finish your empty action spectacle and not think about what could have been. I'm having a good time, honest. [Wipes away tears from faded Shin Godzilla photo, whispering "I miss you"]
Utter trash elevated only by its absurdly sincere desire to translate 60y of variously meaningful & meaningless Japanese pop-culture into Hollywood blockbuster. Tonally inept & horribly paced clusterfu*k that makes no sense independent of the Toho films. Too many humans & kaiju to afford them any weight. Comes across as lame & nonsensical beyond even the cheesiest Toho films. Aside from some arresting shots even the spectacle feels weightless & incoherent. Hollywood simply does not get Godzilla.
This was an odd experience - I liked it, but was it was almost like every strong point had a naff counterpoint. A good cast worked with a disjointed script and was too diluted. Strong images and cinematography were offset by blurry and indistinct moments. There was great monster design and some downright baffling efforts. Fine fight scenes felt botched in parts. Like its predecessor, it captured the spirit of its origins, but lacked coherence. Decent, but flawed. My 6-year-old boy had fun.
I've never been much of a fan of Godzilla, but with the 2014 reboot, Godzilla had become the mechanism for a modern disaster flick, just a stand in for an earthquake, or a meteor--and it worked. But with this one, and the inclusion of Monarch, the movie is pulled in too many directions, the characters are flat and the story is likewise.
This is pretty much Battleship-grade garbage, so it feels kind of weird to care about this specifically, but: There's really not enough Mothra in this film.

22 Collections including 11 Collaborative and 11 Public