Godzilla Minus One
Godzilla-Minus-One
Godzilla-Minus-One

Godzilla Minus One

2023
Post war Japan is at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster, baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb. (imdb)
Franchise: Godzilla
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Godzilla Minus One

A Godzilla movie just made me cry what is even happening right now
The second best 'Godzilla' movie. Its strength lies in approaching the material as part war movie part family drama, but the monster itself is no match for 'Shin Godzilla'. (I wonder if my job as Criticker police is costing me acclaim. I want to write more but must spend my time chasing my SLACKER friend, who will happily blame small children for skipping reviews. It is an ungrateful job, but someone has to do it. I am. The Law.)
Godzilla done right. (I'm wondering what is harming the quality of my reviews more, the fact that I'm now a father of two which, of course, means that I have significantly less time on my hands or my friend who, bless him, always impersonates a Criticker police officer whenever I try to sneak in a rating without a review to accompany it. But hey, who really cares about serious criticism when I can produce meaningless nonsense like this in a fraction of the time?)
Thanks to my local theater for telling me about this. It's amazing how this film's $15 million budget outshines the Hollywood versions costing 10x. It's good to go back to the roots of Godzilla being an atomic bomb metaphor for Japan. War and veterans are at the forefront, but this is not a film glorifying Imperial (or postwar) Japan. I liked the human relationships. Child actors could always be better. Ending was literally telegraphed. Fav scene: Godzilla chasing their tiny boat was hilarious.
Any movie that gives me several handmade visual demonstrations on how to defeat a monster is an instant win. I am also a sucker for melodrama. Overall, a solid entry into the Japanese Godzilla series. The WW2 setting was a nice twist. It was really interesting seeing the struggles of the post-war slums.

Submitted bybrellbrell on 30 Nov 2023