GoldenEye

GoldenEye

1995
Action

Rated 14 Jul 2009
Man... does anyone remember "the compound" level where you would put on infinite health / ammo and just go to town on those guys for hours! Multi-player?? Golden Gun! No being Odd Job!.... wait... what? This was also a movie?!
My favorite Bond and one of my favorite films of all time. The villainous lineup of Trevelyan, Xenia, Ourumov and Boris is just sublime, it has stylish locations (an awesome use of the standard casino scene), great action scenes by tank and car and plane and train, a cool plot by the villain, introduces the new M with a bang, and has a fantastic opening and climax and just so much style and verve. Pierce Brosnan's debut as Bond couldn't have come out better. (Ytadel's series ranking: #1 of 24)
Rated 17 May 2019
Who the hell gave U2 the chance to do the music for this, the first half has some of the most garbage 90s music imaginable. Second half of the film I guess Bono and the Edge passed out from smelling their own farts and it’s fine.
Rated 04 Dec 2006
This is one of my favorite Bond movies. Maybe it's cause I played the video game religiously or maybe it's cause I have huge crushes on every chick in it or maybe it's cause it's just downright cool. Sean Bean is ridiculously cool.
Rated 16 Jun 2016
Brosnan's first Bond movie was also his best. No invisible cars or CGI tsunamis here.
Rated 14 Nov 2007
Last good Bond movie before Casino Royale.
Rated 21 Oct 2012
I had fond memories of this. Now I'd say it's good, not great. No one had thus far been able to dethrone Connery, the quintessential Bond, or probably ever will (which of course makes the tagline ironic) but Brosnan - with his slick look and a talent for being both serious spy and a cheeseball (when required) - comes closest. And, also thanks to Famke J. and Sean Bean, 'GoldenEye' is by far the best of his four, even venturing to add a bit of character depth to what's mostly dumb (solid) action.
Rated 17 Apr 2008
Written as a star vehicle for Timothy Dalton, the plot panders to the more serious approach he brought to the role. That's probably why this is the only Brosnan-led Bond film that isn't total garbage (which isn't to say Brosnan wasn't a good Bond, he was. He was just never given much to work with). Campbell sours things a bit with attempts at over-the-top camp comedy, and just a terribly cheap soundtrack, but overall this is a great globe-trotting adventure. The N64 game is better, however.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
Exemplifies, depicts and struggles with the many transitions that occurred during the 1990s: the exit from the Cold War and the opening of the Iron Curtain; the advent of the internet age; changing attitudes to gender relations, especially in terms of workplace rules; and the move from miniatures and models to computer-generated imagery. Poor Tina Turner title song, written by "Bono" and "The Edge". Ends (prophetically) by mentioning Guantanamo as a nice spot for some romantic debriefing.
Rated 02 Mar 2013
Revitalizes all the classic Bond elements: James has a real emotional arc. His relationship to M gains depth. The Bond girl is strong-willed and independent. The action scenes are creative and now feels natural in the narrative. Sharp cinematography. Even the puns are above average. Brosnan manages to display the confidence of Connery, the elegance of Moore and the ruthless edge of Dalton. The result is the ultimate Bond movie. Sadly the next 3 movies would never approach this level of quality.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
My first 007 film and it rocks, dammit. Great game too :)
Rated 25 Mar 2007
At one point in this film, M says to Bond: "I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War." Frankly, it's hard to disagree with her. At least the writers knew what they were up against. Besides, GoldenEye is entertaining, Brosnan and Bean play their parts well, and the film is a perfectly fine way to spend a couple of hours. I don't think focusing too much on the sexual politics of it all does a whole lot of good.
Rated 04 May 2007
Years later, still caught in the Cold War era. With the Russkies unavailable, it seems the franchise didn't know what to do with itself and thus stuck to what it knew. Half a decade removed from the dissolution of the Soviet Union, its reluctance to move on is either charming or embarrassing. Likely, a bit of both.
Rated 26 Dec 2012
For me, GoldenEye comes with all of the best features in a Bond film: the charismatic, suave secret agent, action-packed fights and stunts, all the allure of espionage, and female characters that can actually contribute to the plan. Great performances, classic Bond style, and Pierce Brosnan driving a tank in a suit, you can't help but love GoldenEye!
One of the better Bond films to come out lately. Pierce Brosnan did a great job but he's no Sean Connery. Then again, no one's Sean Connery. Still if you like James Bond you should like this.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
This movie which is great lead to one of the greatest video games ever. Goldeye for Nintendo 64.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
Opens really strongly, then is a Bond film.
Rated 15 Jan 2012
I think it's honestly one of the strongest Bond films.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
Probably my favourite Bond movie, although I wouldn't say it's the best one. Certianly the best non Ian Flemming story
Rated 17 Dec 2006
I agree with Tripwyre; GoldenEye (1995) is very good, but GoldenEye 64 is better.
Rated 21 Dec 2006
Probably one of the best action movies of the 90's, and one of the best Bonds.
Rated 27 Jan 2007
Brosnan's best outing as Bond.
Rated 01 Feb 2007
Great character interaction, well written, superb casting: this movie is everything that Bond Can be and impressive in it's own right.
Rated 18 Mar 2020
Brosnan slips seamlessly into the Bond role & the romantic lead is not only beautiful, but a surprisingly good actress as well. Onatopp also makes for a great henchman & it's a great idea to have the villain be another Double O. The Russian accents may not be all there, but the characters are some of Bond's best. The only problem is the storyline which drags in the first hour; is filled w/ the usual large plotholes (how does the tank get in front of the train?); & rolls out too many tropes.
Rated 15 Apr 2011
Remington Steele goes James Bond in this 90s post-Cold War reboot that pits 007 against his greatest foe yet, Sean Bean.
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Brosnan's first Bond is his best, but it's basically just a Greatest Hits of Bond and he has a girl's haircut in it. Gets bonus points for Famke Janssen killing people with her thighs.
Rated 14 Oct 2013
I can't help but feel like the film would be a lot better with Dalton as Bond. The script itself is good and so is the supporting cast, it's just that Brosnan is so dull I can't even. (3/5)
Rated 09 Dec 2012
Hard to even enjoy ironically.
In Pierce Brosnan's first appearance as James Bond, the series was revitalized. It went back to a less campy, more suave and sophisticated Bond. Goldeneye has great action, a super cool story, and some of Bond's greatest moments since Sean Connery played the super spy. Awesome!
Rated 30 Aug 2007
From the time when they really tried to make everything modern with CGI and synth music and failed miserably.
Rated 20 Sep 2007
Pierce Brosnan has no business in these movies
Rated 21 Oct 2007
Easily the best of the Brosnan Bonds, it has a steady pace that's more akin to the early Bonds. The finale's a bit cheap and flimsy but it's a pleasure getting to the climax.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Roger Moore is alleged to have commented that he and Connery would be forgotten after Brosnan's Bond - Based on this he may have a point. Brosnan owes far more to Connery's view of Bond but brings Moore's charm - a heady mix. Great stunts, a powerful villain and co-stars. For my money, Tina Turner doesn't quite make the grade with the main theme, other than that ... Bond is back.
Rated 09 May 2008
This is a solid film that has good action set-pieces and good comedy as well. They mix both without doing anything too over the top or stupid with either. It showed promise for a Brosnan Bond, but the writers of the later films never could match up to this again.
Rated 03 Sep 2009
more of the same from the world's most boring spy.
Rated 05 Oct 2008
Undeservingly underrated, Brosnan's first Bond is the best instalment of the franchise in nearly two decades and since only matched by Campbell's own 'Casino Royale' and 'Skyfall'. The supporting cast (Bean, Cumming, Janssen, Coltrane and Dench in particular) is borderline great and that opening shot sets the scene like no other.
Rated 23 Nov 2008
Oh man, the only thing I remember about this movie was the video game. And that gets a 100
Rated 17 Oct 2011
It holds up quite well. The score and the editing are not impressive. But Brosnan is a good Bond and the villains, especially Famke, are great. And the tank scene is still amazing. It is however shocking how many innocent Russian soldiers Bond kills in his escape in Moscow.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
. . . though the N64 game of this is excellent.
Rated 20 Feb 2013
I don't really like James Bond movies. I saw this in Calcutta a long time ago and don't really remember it. The reason to comment on it here is that Pierce Brosnan plays Bond, but had previously parodied exactly that version of 'smooth' manly heroism in five seasons of "Remington Steele" - a transition that is as close as I can find to a second example of the genre of which 'Dark Star' is the first: the parody that comes before the 'serious' version, made by the same people (in some sense).
Rated 29 Mar 2010
a fine bond movie, brosnan fits in with the greats perfectly well. the action and wit are at top form, and that is what i love bond movies for.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Nice
Rated 05 Jun 2009
Goldeneye 64 would get a 100.
Rated 02 Nov 2010
I was kind of tainted by the Nintendo 64 game. I can't look at this movie objectively.
Rated 28 Feb 2010
The one and only Brosnan Bond film I enjoyed.
Rated 29 Jan 2007
I've always considered this a solid action film, but not really a proper Bond film. Maybe it's the passing of time, but I've warmed up to it, as it does have a post- cold war feel to it, but it's also surprisingly outdated with it's emphasis on multimedia-era PCs and sadly the finale is about as bland as they come. I've enjoyed Eric Serra's music in Besson films, but he was a wrong choice and his score lessens the impact of action scenes. Brosnan is good, as is the supporting cast (once again).
Rated 06 Jan 2013
Classic Bond
Rated 07 May 2011
I've never been a big James Bond fan, but I've got good memories with this one. It was the first James Bond movie I've seen at the movie theater (it was part of my movie criticizer time - o tempora, o mores). Anyway, I think I haven't missed any Bond movie. I've seen them all, in a way or another, mostly from television.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
Bond is back, in the long-awaited (eight years) debut of Brosnan as legendary Brit agent 007. There's a spectacularly impossible stunt to start things out in familiar territory and lots more noisy (if prolonged) action pieces. Brosnan (who looks great in a tux) is slyly self-aware that his character is more myth than man and Janssen does a suitably over-the-top job as bad Bond girl Xenia Onatopp. Tina Turner sings the dreary title track.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Of a quality that the next 5 or 6 Bond movies failed to even rub up against.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Goldeneye is an entertaining Bond film with Pierce Brosnan filling in nicely. The action sequences are well staged including a few particularly memorable stunts, a few fun gadgets, some good one-liners from Brosnan, and the Bond girls are actually pretty good too. A solid return-to-form following a six-year absence for the character.
Rated 12 Mar 2018
Eww, gross, the 90s. The action-cam during the opening car chase is egregious and some of the sfx are pretty bad but goddamn it I had fun anyway.
Rated 29 Dec 2012
Non-stop action, great (if not the best) theme song and the most beautiful Bond girl ever (Scorupco). A fine piece of entertainment.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
The best Brosnan-Bond film, but still not as good as some of the previous ones.
Rated 03 Jan 2012
This movie is very good for what it is, but I also think it really shows quite clearly how far we have come culturally from the mid-90's, I think in a good way. People expect a higher level of realism, more depth and nuance than this film delivers, but for its style it is quite a ride.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
The first (and best) of the Brosnan Bond films.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Martin Campbell successfully re-launched the 007 franchise TWICE. In the first time, we get a pilot-picture that promised us a Bond that has some age behind him, chains from the Roger Moore-era broken free, and action-narrative energy supplied behind the camera by someone OUTSIDE Eon productions. Too bad the later Brosnan-007 entires progressively worse, bloated, and goofy.
Rated 30 May 2011
One of the best Bond films; it tries not to stray too far into the ridiculous, but still offers plenty of outrageous gadgets and thrilling encounters to keep you rooting for the legendary spy.
Rated 14 Nov 2010
Excellent entry in the series, just enough tradition to be recognizable but with a new and modern update to fit with the times. That said, the soundtrack is really bad. Not bad enough to mean I don't adore this film.
Rated 23 Feb 2014
I thought this was just kind of meh. The plot is ok, but some of the villain's motivations are sketchy. Brosnan seems a better Bond than Dalton, but I still prefer Moore and Connery over him.
Had its quirks, but overall a good film.
Rated 29 Jan 2018
Welcome back, fun Bond
Rated 14 May 2013
Goldeneye was the Bond film of my generation and my personnel introduction to the franchise. Pierce Brosnan balances the brutality and sophistication of Sean Connery with the humour and charm of Roger Moore perfectly. The supporting cast is strong also with great performances from Sean Bean and Famke Janssen in particular. The set pieces are great and the pre-title bungee sequence is one of my favourite Bond moments. Goldeneye will forever be one of my favourite and most sentimental Bond films.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
A true bond classic, probably the best in the series.
Pierce's best Bond performance, while the movie was certainly less than stellar it had an enjoyable feel to it.
Rated 04 Apr 2020
Not the absolute height of camp, but just a bit too goofy to take seriously. In that regard, only the action sequence involving the tank hits that perfect note of absurd fun. The rest dedicates too much time to shallow criticisms of Bond's behavior and lifestyle. At least Brosnan plays his part well.
Rated 26 May 2024
Extravaganza, with a very thin plot.
Rated 24 Jun 2023
My favourite Bond film. It's got everything. Great stunts. Great Tina Turner theme song written by the U2 boys. Great baddies. Judi Dench ruling with an iron fist. Fun plot. Thrilling. Funny. Twists and turns. It's the whole package. Never been matched since.
Rated 17 Aug 2009
One of the better James Bond movies. Pierce Brosnan carried the role well and almost better than many of his predecessors (especially Timothy Dalton.) Sean Bean an excellent actor in my opinion is excellent and the rest of the cast bring style wit that is required of any 007 movie.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
A good addition to the James Bond movie franchise, but it was not that good of a movie overall.
Rated 28 Mar 2013
This is a fun James Bond movie. Pierce Brosnan is one of the better choices to play the character of Bond. There are numerous fun action sequences and a few cheesy lines. Overall I would recommend this action movie.
Rated 21 Dec 2011
Gratuitous explosions and cheap action aside, it was a great film. The stoic form of Peirce Brosnan does detract from the Bond persona somewhat but was acceptable in this film. And as for the opening it was a true to James Bond form...naked women's forms that is. And they weren't afraid to shy away from a little shadow or silhouette of a nipple (it bothers me that women have been de-nippled by everything from the bra industry to the film industry)
Rated 01 Aug 2009
(Spoiler) Brosnan's best Bond. Well shot and suitably predictable. As good as any Bond movie made in my opinion. Bonus marks as Sean Bean dies... twice!
Rated 31 Jan 2008
A Bond is alway a Bond
Rated 10 Feb 2008
kinda good...
Rated 24 Jan 2016
B
Rated 25 Feb 2011
it has it all. pierce fits like a glove and comes in second to connery. there's a femme fatale, a femme cordiale and the villain (SPOILER!) is a former friend of james', which makes his mission all the more personal. the settings are awesome, from the dam via moscow by tank and train to the grand finale in the satellite dish. even the lack of typical bond car-gimmick-chases and judi dench as a lame female-quota-M can easily be overlooked.
Rated 13 May 2008
It was around now they should have stopped producing the Bond Series. But movie was not completely horrible.
Rated 15 May 2008
Maybe it's the classic N64 shooter that makes me like this one so much. The best Brosnan Bond.
Rated 18 Apr 2020
While overshadowed in popularity and acclaim by its video game adaptation, and quite a shadow that is to dwell in, Goldeneye the movie version is to thank for an extremely iconic cast of characters, settings, set pieces and atmosphere. The 90's European dance club and fashion inspired look captures a certain time and setting perfectly. It's just so slick and tight and wet, like a Ferrari launching off a Lamborghini onto a private yacht with a helicopter pad and a soundtrack from Sade and Seal.
Rated 06 Aug 2012
Unfortunately Brosnan starts off with the best Bond film he'll be in for his career, but it is such a memorable one. Considerably the darkest Bond film, it also set the bar for Bond films to be considered more seriously.
Rated 20 Feb 2011
Fun Bond. Brainless Bond. Nothing new, really.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
The opening stunt is maybe a little too over the top, but the rest is a pretty good mix of typical Bond fun; Hot ladies, explosive action, one liners and accents.
Rated 09 Jul 2008
Rated a 64 for obvious reasons.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
The best of the Brosnan Bond films.
Rated 31 Mar 2015
GoldenEye is full of humor. never taking itself too seriously 007 embarks on an epic adventure worth watching.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
On the evidence of GoldenEye, the shaken-not-stirred secret agent can more than hold his own against True Lies, the Die Hard series, Under Siege or any of the other action hero franchises.
Rated 30 Jan 2011
The first and best of Brosnan's bond movies, it was all downhill for him from here. A slightly absurd story at points, but Bond is about saving the world so it is bound to get a little out of control.
Rated 05 Jun 2010
Only good Brosnan Bond flick and its not even that good...
Rated 05 Dec 2009
Possibly my favourite Bond film featuring my favourite Bond actor. It contains the right blend of action and comedy, unlike the Roger Moore films which were majorly skewed towards the humourous side of things.
Rated 05 Oct 2008
My first Bond, I must admit I was not overwhelmed...
Rated 14 Oct 2008
bond rocks....ladies
Rated 29 Mar 2015
3.13/5
Rated 24 May 2010
They let the hollywood progressive stuff contaminate the film, and after this one, bond lost all of its personality and style.
Rated 26 Nov 2009
A promise that never delivered.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
I found this movie horribly boring. The action is boring. The plot is boring. The cast is boring. Quite possibly my least favorite Bond film (or a close tie with Tomorrow Never Dies).
Rated 30 May 2023
My nostalgia glasses weren't rose tinted enough for this one I'm afraid.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
Hands down one of the best Bond films of all time. Connery snobs may often disagree, that being said I think Connery was the best ever, but this is one hell of an action flick. And perhaps the last of the glorious Bond films of past decades.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Puts every other Bond film to shame with its atmospheric locations, top-notch cast, slick dialogue and clever plot. For once, Bond strikes the perfect balance between suave cad and ruthlessly efficient agent. The trio of villains are some of the best in the series, and the big stunts all live up to expectations. My only criticism is the choice to have all the Russians speaking perfect English to each other. Brosnan effaced all those cringe-worthy Moore memories; sadly it was a one-time deal.
Rated 28 Apr 2009