Screambox Amazon Channel

2003
Drama, Crime
From the acclaimed director, Takashi Miike, comes a Yakuza/horror film to shock and amaze audiences everywhere. When Minami is sent to kill his mentor, Ozaki, who is in the midst of a nervous breakdown, he embarks on a journey of unexplained natural phenomenon. (Pathfinder Pictures)
Screambox Amazon Channel

Gozu stands out as one of Miike's finer efforts, with a plot including his mainstay yakuza and criminal investigation themes, but also a lot of weirdness. The mystery and often repugnant surreal imagery here are very Lynchian or perhaps Cronenbergian.
what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck
Seems to be about the homosexual desire between two individuals, in a milieu (the underworld of gangsters) that makes the expression of that desire impossible, and so about the tortured journey through another milieu (the underworld of mythology, à la Orpheus and Eurydice) one must take in search of the other, as the only path possible towards being together (via an intermediary). Nevertheless, overall impression is of a poor Lynch imitation with touches of Cronenberg. More farce than horror.
Has some of the most insanely twisted scenes I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot of them. That's all that needs to be said, really. That and the man who sits in the restaurant on the phone insisting that it was, in fact, hot the other day and he was, in fact, wearing a t-shirt (t-shirt time! Incidentally a completely freaking hilarious scene.) makes this movie very much worth watching. To put it simply, it's a very Miike film.
Remember when you were a kid riding your bike around town and every corner you turned was a new place you'd never seen before? Also, remember drinking milk from your mother's breasts? I got an Alice in Wonderland vibe from this big-time, so naturally I'm all over it. Lots of paranoia too. Miike's a cool dude. Childish maybe, but that's partially what makes him great.

Poster supplied byokkervilOkkervil