Grave of the Fireflies
Grave-of-the-Fireflies

Grave of the Fireflies

1988
Drama, War
A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Grave of the Fireflies

Bring your popcorn and Prozac.
As someone who loves talking movies with people, this film has the unfortunate distinction of being the subject of one of the longest film discussions I've ever had. Unfortunate because it was with a librarian and it was me endlessly trying to explain why this does not belong wedged in-between Gnomeo & Juliet and Gumby: The Movie in the kid's section.
Grave of the Fireflies is NOT a film for children... not only. I think it's one of the best anti-war films ever made. After watching that Movie the only thing you can do is switch off the TV, go to bed, wipe away your tears and try to sleep. That was my experience with that movie. And I'm not really emotional. There is no light at the end of the tunnel...in this world or anywhere else..sad but true
If you don't cry while watching this movie, you're probably comatose. Or dead. Or a spawn of the Dark One himself. Beautifully done, sometimes painfully understated for a kind of emphasis that would not be achieved in blatant terms.
Awesome yet disturbing movie, it leaves you speechless about the world's cruelty. An astonishing movie, definitely not recommended for children! Maybe that's aWestern thing because animation is often considered to be only for children. This defintitely is not. I never saw the movie again although we have it on DVD. However, its pictures are still on my mind and it's a couple of years ago. Highly recommended.

Director: Isao_TakahataIsao Takahata