Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

1990
Sci-fi

Rated 21 Sep 2023
This is more than a movie. It's a blast of giddy creative insanity, the kind that's only possible when a director throws caution to the wind and puts his craziest, most random ideas on celluloid, undeterred by studio notes or even conventional filmmaking rules. This is art. God bless Joe Dante.
Rated 16 Sep 2012
I friggin' love Gremlins 2. There is just so much to enjoy here: making fun of the original, great puppetry, delicious homages, fun cameos and a cartload of wacky shenanigans. If that's not enough, one Gremlin shoots another Gremlin in the goddamn face. In a kids movie! If the government ever lets me out of my containment facility underground and allows me to procreate, my (probably ugly) children will grow up watching Gremlins 2 and become all the more awesome thanks to it.
Rated 18 Aug 2017
Something something Key and Peele. GIVE ME STARS! I'VE EARNED IT!
Rated 18 Jan 2019
Greatest movie ever? No? Really? Are you sure now? Cause...I'm pretty sure it might be. However, if not, for sure than at least, it's the greatest sequel of all-time. Well, that's at least what my nostalgia riddled brain says. So honestly speaking, this might be one of my favorite movies ever. Endlessly quotable, the cartoon natured satire with all the new fantastic gimmick Gremlins, makes it so not even "Gizmo's" wonky walking and dancing could tarnish this cornerstone of my movie loving taste.
Rated 28 Sep 2007
Anarchic glee. No restraint, no ridiculous idea left on the drawing board. Plus there are gremlins. Joe Dante is my fucking hero.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Insanely funny and kind of subversive; Joe Dante basically deconstructs the franchise that made his career.
Rated 18 Jul 2010
Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized.
Rated 01 Dec 2014
It's incredible when a sequel manages to simultaneously be a good sequel and a flawless parody of the original.
The sequel to Gremlins focuses on humour more than horror, with the intelligent gremlin voiced by Tony Randall being a highlight.
Rated 30 Mar 2007
More FX, movie references, and general chaos. I always liked that sort of thing
Rated 07 Aug 2008
Entertaining horror comedy with a much higher focus on the comedy than the horror. If you don't enjoy horror movies that much, like myself, then this is quite a good thing. Yes it's downright absurd and silly but who cares when there's so much stupid fun.
Rated 26 May 2019
Watching this in 2019 was a real blast. Their adoption of the Police Squad style gags mixed with Dante's love for Looney Tunes makes for an excellent ride that had me smiling constantly. Gizmo's arc is one of my favourite in all of film, the constant cutaways to his incredibly cute torture followed by his ascension to War Hero is comedy gold and too cute to exist. Christopher Lee in the lab is also hilarious. Think I slightly prefer it to the original almost for its bravery alone.
Rated 22 Apr 2010
Takes a while to get going, but once it ratchets up the manic we're off. Ignoring the dull characters is easy(ish) as the new and improved plasticised Gremlins take centre stage. With more freedom and space the effects crew throws up a bunch of ideas. Some work, quite a few don't, but at least this movie knows what it is - a canvas for wacky Gremlin fun.
The tried to expand a bit too much on the original in this sequel, but it's still an entertaining flick. Any writer/director who throws in a cameo from Hulk Hogan can't be all bad.
The untamed element, oldest of man's mysteries, giver of warmth, destroyer of forests, right now this building is on fire.
Rated 20 Feb 2008
I mean you can't go wrong when you can get Gizmo to sign on for a sequel, but as hard as he tries he can't carry this weak cast.
Rated 12 Aug 2014
I have no objectivity about this movie whatsoever. Every single second of this thing has some gag or joke somewhere in it.
Rated 19 Jun 2014
I don't think that's how science works.
Rated 17 Sep 2016
Sometimes you like a movie because it's a finely crafted piece of art... and sometimes you like a movie just because it's entertaining.
Rated 06 Jan 2019
Gremlins made this.
Rated 26 Sep 2021
While the second movie might not be the classic that the first one was, it is still chock full of shenanigans and mogwai meyham. It's a fun movie, still worth a watch for young and old alike.
Rated 25 Jan 2007
Much much better than it's given credit for. It's just so gleeful!
Rated 24 Oct 2007
I never thought I'd say this, but Phoebe Cates is totally funny in this.
Rated 16 May 2008
memory says: awesome!
Rated 27 Sep 2015
So many ideas and references are thrown on the screen, it's almost hard to keep up. Very impressive in scale with rich production values. Too bad made-for-profit sequels aren't this great nowadays.
Rated 06 Dec 2014
In 1978 the cast of Star Wars appeared on the Muppet Show, performing a childish, disco-driven interpretation of the most popular movie at the time. While there is a parallel with Gremlins 2, mostly that's a more pleasant memory than watching this.
Rated 25 May 2011
it was too scary
Rated 26 Oct 2011
So far from the original that it hurts...
Rated 30 Jul 2012
They completely dropped the horror of the first and went all-out for the comedy, successfully. Plenty of good jokes and wonderful puppets, very good.
Rated 25 Dec 2012
Forgotten sequel that's actually a lot of fun.
Rated 05 Oct 2017
(Viewed on 02/01/11): G2 arrived too late to truly matter, but Dante largely fulfilled his objective to craft an oversized studio film that parodies the original, sequels, cable TV and corporate America, providing its own running commentary on 80's excess. It's a chaotic cartoon spectacle with a curiously freewheeling sensibility, and there are many inspired moments of complete lunacy, but it's too much of a good thing, and Dante inevitably struggles to maintain its freight train momentum.
Rated 30 Jan 2007
funny
Rated 22 Feb 2007
Poor.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
One of my biggest guilty pleasures of all time. I really do like this movie as much as the first movie.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
It's one joke. I mean, it's a funny joke, but that's all this is.
Rated 23 Jul 2021
I don't think anybody really gave a damn about making an actual sequel, which is wise because there's really nothing you can do but rehash the original film. So, Dante rehashes it long enough to let the Gremlins loose and then he goes for it. I admire the balls, but the movie is a parade of things I don't really like.
Rated 30 Nov 2016
Memory says it was awesome but needs a rewatch.
Rated 16 Apr 2007
You wouldn't believe how much these Gremins resemble our psycho pet poodle. It really is quite worrying. As for the film it just can't match the first, but it's entertaining enough.
Rated 29 Jun 2007
Should have sticked with only the first 1
Rated 13 Jul 2007
This was not such a good idea.
The rules from the first movie still apply. Why didn't these people learn?
Rated 12 Jul 2021
Unbridled chaotic entertainment. From 'Fourth Wall' breaks to crazy practical effects with goo flying everywhere. This film does exchange an interesting narrative for what is virtually 1 hour and 46 minutes of Gremlin's sketches. And naturally, I find the setting and atmosphere of the original more comfortable with its frosty small town festive feel. Clearly, the use of New York is needed for Joe Dante's criticism of over automation and consumerism. Female Gremlin do look like Dolly Parton tho.
It had it's comical moments, but it was generally just mind-numbingly stupid. But I'm quite sure that was what they were going for.
Nothing spectacular, hardly good, but enough for a lazy Sunday.
Gremlins 2, if anything, is a film that would rather make fun of itself, never taking itself or its predecessor seriously, merely using the premise as an excuse to spoof anything and everything it can and still remain somewhat cohesive.
Rated 23 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 13 Oct 2020
Gremlins 2: The New Batch was pretty terrible as a 30 year old man in 2020. I never watched this movie at the time. If I would have watched it then, I probably would have been pulled in by the product placement throughout the film. 80's movies were great at selling toys to kids. I liked some of the parts where they broke the fourth wall. Phoebe Cates was at the height of her cuteness in this movie but it was squandered because this film is all about the gremlins for better or worse.
Rated 15 Aug 2021
Works better as a spoof than it does as a sequel. I wouldn't mind it if they hadn't made Gizmo so incompetent
Rated 16 Nov 2007
point for the joke about the guy wearing the abraham lincoln hat.
Rated 20 Nov 2007
Really good campy classic. I just wish they made a third one. Spider Gremlin gives me nightmares.
Rated 12 Jan 2008
It is funny also, it repeated the success of the first movie.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
So completely different in tone and intent than the first one, and for shaking up the tried and true "critters on the loose" formula, it gets serious bonus points. It's surprisingly fun.
Rated 02 Nov 2016
Quite unsettling
Rated 24 Mar 2008
I don't like Gremlins, maybe because I was brought up on Ghostbusters.
Rated 05 Apr 2008
Deliciously subversive and urbanized improvement on the original.
Rated 05 Apr 2008
This movie, though pretty corny, is unbelievably funny. Phoebe Cates is amazing, and the story is actually decent. Unlike most people, I liked this one more than the original.
Rated 13 May 2008
Better than the first, but still middling.
Rated 14 May 2008
Sequel-y.
Rated 29 Oct 2016
A much madder film than the original and packed with biting satire. Good fun.
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Loved this one as a kid. Not sure where we stand now.
Rated 25 Sep 2008
darker than the original but I'm not certain it's better
Rated 15 Oct 2008
This sequel leans much more toward the comedy side than the first, but it's fun to see the many new kinds of Gremlins they've created.
Rated 18 Oct 2008
Smae kind of story, different place and those Gremlins even more annoying.
Rated 28 Sep 2016
An inventive and playfully silly sequel.
Rated 22 Mar 2014
Some of the gags are hilarious, but the rest of the film is fairly average.
Rated 30 Jan 2009
This movie was kind of riding the thin line between desired/unnecessary sequel.
Rated 27 Feb 2009
very good sequel
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Even Hulk Hogan couldn't save this ship from sinking.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Pretty bad, but entertaining in it's own unique way.
Rated 24 Feb 2014
I will admit that I have not seen this movie -- and I never will.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
This film is incredibly silly, and I think that makes it better than the first. The Hulk Hogan cameo especially was pretty amazing.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Not as fun as the first, but not all bad.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
A grossly disappointing sequel.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Actually very funny.
Rated 02 Jun 2024
Largely boring and lacklustre, "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" is certainly a downgrade from the original on pretty much all levels. The effects are more ambitious, yet that leads to several janky moments, the plot is formulaic, the characters are uninteresting, not to mention that they react casually even to situations that are expected to be horrifying, thus killing all potential suspense stone-dead, and there's a shit-ton of forced meta references that turn the film into a tacky parody of itself.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
The first Gremlins movie is much better, but it is still fun.
Rated 28 Jun 2010
God I love this movie. I can basically watch it any time and anywhere.
Rated 21 Jul 2010
A funny movie.
Rated 22 Oct 2023
I'd remembered this as more anti-capitalist than it actually is, but it is a load of fun, full of 'I can't believe they went there' moments - vegetable-face gremlin! - and cartoon logic. Unfortunately, with all its zany energy and 100 gags a minute pacing, it completely forgets to do anything about its human characters who are just... meh. There, I guess.
Rated 19 Jun 2018
Everything is cranked up to 11 with this one. While the original was a fun time, this one is an absolute blast. Though it's not nearly as consistent. Though the inclusion of John Glover and Christopher Lee raise this film high above it's 50s inspirations.
Rated 16 Jan 2011
Entertaining, but not really great. Better hope it doesn't rain :D
Rated 20 Feb 2011
No real plot to speak of. Shrek meets Airplane!
Rated 07 Mar 2011
Seems someone made a list of all the random stuff they'd like to put in a movie and threw them all in here. Some of it works but a lot of it falls flat and for all the attempts at an anarchic spirit the guiding hand of market research and consumerism is inescapable, making it feel oddly sanitized.
Rated 28 Apr 2011
A lighter comedic tone and the social commentary makes this a hair better then the first.
Rated 06 Jul 2015
The po-est of mo post-80s movies? I think so.
Rated 28 Oct 2011
This is a better watch than the original - if for the only reason that it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
This movie is inferior to the original in every way. This one is a straight comedy; it lacks the horror of the first film. The problem is the comedy isn't always funny. They spend way too much time in the movie having wacky evil gremlins. Skip this and watch the first one again instead.
Rated 04 Mar 2012
Little known fact: Tila Tequila had her first film role in this as the female gremlin.
Rated 08 Apr 2012
Part of the charm of the first movie was the way the comedy was just barely balanced by the other elements. This one's a full-out comedy and it never gives you a break from the gags. Fortunately, it succeeds because it's quite funny and still pretty clever at times, but I still miss the slightly underplayed humour of the original.
Rated 13 Apr 2023
At first I thought I'd like it. But then it just got worse and worse and worse...
Rated 06 Jan 2018
Has Phoebe Cates become the only reason for watching these?
Rated 22 Jun 2015
Someone went and broke the three rules again and now we have a sequel! Gremlins 2: The New Batch isn't quite as dire as the first film, it's pretty cheesy... but in a good way! I think there were a lot of laughs and general goofiness. They brought back 3 of the original characters (4 if you count cute little Gizmo) and added some actual personalities to the Gremlins. They even had a female Gremlin and one that could talk!...
Rated 04 Aug 2012
An unrelenting stream of gags and almost all of them are really great. Good luck seeing them all too, to be honest. The cameos are fantastic.
Rated 16 Nov 2012
Terrible plot and acting though I enjoyed the cameos.
Rated 19 Dec 2012
Could have been better if it took itself more seriously, but this sequel is about getting cheap laughs from cartoonish human behaviour and misfiring satirical gremlins. *Preview*: #12#, exp-3*, popcorn, story, 'pt1', R2.
Rated 29 Dec 2014
Though the first movie was good, this one has just about the same story. If you've seen the first one then you know exactly what will happen here. Nothing original unfortunately.
Rated 27 Feb 2013
Ahahaha, I don't really know what to say. Moose phoneline telegraph Kyoto and every banana in the room to you too!
Rated 11 Aug 2013
I definitely doesn't take itself seriously and that isn't a bad thing. It's not a good movie, but it could have been a whole lot worse.
Rated 12 Sep 2013
Everything a movie should be.
Rated 16 Oct 2013