Criticker.com - Film & TV Recommendations and Community
profile
0 rankings

Hannah Takes the Stairs (2007)

Your Rating
500 characters left

Summary: Hannah, a recent college graduate, spends a brutally hot Chicago summer falling in and out of love. As she struggles to find personal and professional fulfillment through various relationships with friends and coworkers, she risks leaving destruction in her wake. Working collaboratively with his cast, which features several prominent independent filmmakers, Joe Swanberg follows up his previous efforts, "Kissing on the Mouth" and "LOL", with this delicate look at friendship, ambition, and the pursuit of happiness. (IFC Films)

Genre: Drama

Country: USA

Directed By: Joe Swanberg

Written By: Joe Swanberg, Greta Gerwig

Starring: Mark Duplass, Andrew Bujalski, Kevin Bewersdorf, Tipper Newton, Greta Gerwig, Kent Osborne, Ry Russo-Young, Todd Rohal, Kris Williams, Nathan Adloff, Ivan Albertson

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Ratings
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Hannah Takes the Stairs belongs to 12 collections
1. boobs (public: moderated by Pickpocket - 39 stars)
2. Female protagonist (public: moderated by djross - 15 stars)
3. Mumblecore (public: moderated by Moribunny - 3 stars)
4. 2007: Year in Review (private: polanski28)
5. Ignored Films (your private collection) | remove from collection
6. AA: Independent Cinema (private: KasperL)

Browse the full list of collections
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
Ytadel Ytadel
70T8
It's not quite up to the level of Bujalski's two "mumblecore" films, but it's still a must-watch for fans of the genre like me who get off on the awkward, low-budget adventures of well-educated, aimless 20-somethings. The movie hinges on the quality of its lead, and thankfully, Greta Gerwig is electric.
rettelo rettelo
76T5
Jazzaloha
70T7
This is a character study of Hannah (Greta Gerwig), a confused, maybe insecure, young woman trying to find...something (herself? purpose and meaning?) via the relationships with various men. Gerwig is good in this and you can she has potential.
Matthew Matthew
60T6
Moribunny Moribunny
73T8
Hannah is disillusioned by her boyfriend, quickly gets a crush on another guy, and finds herself in a pattern, chewing guys up and spitting them out. I feel for her, but I hate that bitch too, because I know her kind. A good specimen of mumblecore, with acting leads from Swanberg's fellow directors Mark Duplass and Andrew Bujalski, and a powerful starring performance by Greta Gerwig.
Queendedede
frg frg
4T4
sebby sebby
45T2
Another totally bleh low budget indie mumblecore "film."
cranky cranky
JLCME20
65T3
shahness
81T10
Another strong "mumble-core" addition to the filmic realm. Though the film never quite feels as real, or as awkward, as Bujalksi's two films, the cast, especially Gerwig, deliver relatable twenty-somethings stumbling through life. For bare sets and low production value, Swanberg still works the mise-en-scene and blocking to maximum potential. With no real heavy narrative drive, the film works as a slice of life piece filled with enough poignant beats about love, life and humanity.
Cornica Cornica
penguinfreud penguinfreud
35T4
DavidKahane DavidKahane
86T8
The movie has a thin plot. What it makes it effective is how perfectly it captures a mood, that drifting feeling of uncertainty that accompanies a person's early twenties, when the station-to-station certainty of higher education gives way to the stifling vastness of professional choices, when possibility itself feels like a sort of dead end. Gerwig plays off against this context, making her character's most problematic, unlikely choices understandable, even, in an odd way, sort of endearing.
wokelstein wokelstein
SirRobbie SirRobbie
60T3
astrakhan astrakhan
73T4
A dazzling light illuminating the screen... the way Joe Swanberg's gaze lingers adoringly on Greta Gerwig's face recalls some of the iconic director-star partnerships of cinema history. The film starts out interestingly but unfortunately it eventually peters out when it becomes apparent that none of the characters or events are going anywhere, apart from up some tenuous metaphorical staircase. Good at atmosphere and mood, considerably weaker at narrative and structure. A slight disappointment.
Cabrera
20T5
"At what cost, naturalism?" - Nick Schager
Coheed
20T1
I would give this 40 points if it wasn't for the fact that I dread this is where American cinema could go in terms of presentation and manifesto. Strangling its own moments of actual emotional depth with pointlessly shaking cameras and meandering conversation.
CMQuinn CMQuinn
paulofilmo paulofilmo
68T5
This is really endearing. I think it works. There's a part where they're kissing, and I had to look away because it felt like I was imposing on their moment.
mullacc
kjfellows kokirijazz
3T4
Anomaly1 Anomaly1
58T3
It's purpose is clear but there are no feelings of things serving a higher function that is essential when filming banality, and no ambition to aim for. And I couldn't appreciate the moment, because the moment was covered up with unnecessary camera jerkiness, zooms, and closeups. Greta Gerwig gives a good performance and on the strength of that performance it is watchable, but there is nothing to distinguish it from every other film of its type.
landpwner
66T6
spants
73T1
feralgreen
40T4
dooooooley
79T4
great characters, organic as all the mumblecores, but the value of the movie is too conversation-based
mastablasta
ettubrute
75T4
hellsditch hellsditch
74T4
I don't know why I keep going back to the lo-fi Greta Gerwig-starring well, but here I am again, although I suspect it'll be my last time. And that's not because I hated this, because I didn't. In fact, out of "Beeswax" and "Nights and Weekends", I found "Hannah" to boast, if not exactly the most rounded, at least the most easily recognizable and interesting characters (even if I wanted to throttle a few of them) of the bunch and the film seemed to have a clear focus of what it wanted to be.
avgcrtckr avgcrtckr
thesar2
10T1
Darren Darren
90T9
Wow this is the Swanberg I needed to take him seriously. Able to dissect what it means to be in a relationship and not being a giant bore. Most people will hate this but this is my thing soooo bad. Doesn't hurt that Gerwig and Duplass are in this.
roujin roujin