1986
During a Thanksgiving Day party we make aquaintance with a numerous and problematic family. The leading characters are three sisters: Lee, the woman of Frederick, an old misanthrope painter; Holly, who dreams of becoming a writer, or an actress; Hannah, famous actress, beautiful, intelligent, good mother, good wife, good sister, in short perfect, the pivot of the family...

1986

Rated 12 Jan 2009
I love how Allen touches on so many subjects here: love and relationships, family and friendship, mortality and religion and philosophy. So often during his films, I get the urge to jot down a line or idea from the movie and that was certainly true here. I particularly enjoyed Allen's crisis of faith and of life - his epiphany at the film's conclusion was actually very moving for me. Great performances from all three women, as well as Michael Caine. Oh and yes, it's pretty funny too.
Rated 22 Apr 2008
A film that shows Allen at the top of his game. The script is fantastic, with a great mix of comedy and drama, good dialogue and creative exploration of some meaningful life questions. All the actors deliver strong performances and the way the film weaves their stories together is key to making the whole thing work. I also love that the usual Allen neuroses are present but spread throughout the characters and never overdone.
Rated 14 Dec 2007
A damn fine movie that may not offer anything unique to Allen's catalogue but is really well done and enjoyable all the same. Using an interrelated cast of characters and multiple storylines he manages to touch on romantic relationships in a really profound way. My favorite storyline is Allen's existential crisis. This movie is oddly upbeat and optimistic for something of Allen's but it's very well done anyway.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
One of Woody's best, back in the good old days when he seemed to be wrestling honestly with questions of good and evil while celebrating--however sharp the individual satirical barb might be--the beauty and wonder of human relationships. Every member of the cast turns in a fine performance, but I would like to single out Diane Wiest as the hapless ugly-duckling sister, and Max Von Sydow, hilarious as Max, the controlling, depressive snob of an artist who is Lee's live-in lover.
Rated 14 Mar 2009
Wonderful and outstanding film from Woody Allen. He handles and deals with multiple topics at one setting and still manages to make a good movie, the most prominent being the constant focusing on relationships. The cast is well prepared and they all succeed with sensational narration, along with an equiped arsenal of distinguished and notable dialogue. Allen himself is particularly evocative in his crisis situation, and even Caine is breathtaking. One of Allen's best in my opinion.
Rated 19 Nov 2008
A strong ensemble piece, somewhat episodic and anecdotal, but with clear through lines. These are interesting and complicated characters, moved by their own irrationalities and constantly shifting variables. It's a film about emotional resilience, and in the end it's one of Woody Allen's best and most optimistic works.
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Even though it has nowhere in particular to go, and certain scenes are over the top, this is a brilliantly assembled and thoroughly enjoyable melange of fine acting and New Yorkish one-liners, with particularly sharp editing and a nostalgic music score.
Rated 06 Aug 2017
I'm going to be pushing 40 and this movie will still feel too adult for me.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
This is hardly a perfect movie, but yet, everything about it just seems so right. This movie is the one that both introduced me to Woody Allen and the Drama genre in general, so I'm a bit biased toward it, but it really is a great movie. Woody Allen's skill with dialogue impresses me every time, and his characters here are so sharply drawn. It's one of the few movies I can just watch over and over again and not get bored of.
Rated 22 Aug 2010
allen pretty much perfects his style with this one, making a daring move by shooting a movie that explores the intimate and complex relationships of women. Caine is simply stellar, while the female cast does a uniformly good job in recreating the sister dynamics. there's less of woody in this one compared to his other works, but the substance is not lacking.
Rated 16 May 2010
Simply excellent. I rewatched this recently and forgot how deft and engaging the screenplay was.
Rated 05 Jan 2010
One of the films that helped me realize I love Woody Allen. His dialogue is really top of the line. I thought he characters in this particular movie were some of his best.
Rated 27 Nov 2012
Outstanding. It's a slice of a family's life; no more, no less. Confidently told (the shifts in perspective through various inner monologues were awesome), with several of the witty lines we're used to and characters we come to care about. It's one of Allen's best. Probably my favorite of his, I think.
Rated 07 Oct 2010
I can't tell if this movie is making fun of these characters, but I don't think it is and that's a problem for me. They're ALL insecure; trying to impress each other with their knowledge of Bach and organic form. *rolls eyes* The only segments I liked were Allen's, but then I've always been more of a sucker for his zany one-liner antics than his more serious fare.
Rated 24 May 2009
A fine ensemble dramedy with an interesting novelistic structure. Woody Allen is basically playing Alvy Singer again, but still remains entertaining. Michael Caine and all three of the titular sisters are also very engaging, particularly Barbara Hershey. Hits on the classic Allen topics of love, sex, and death, although there's a bit less discussion of New York City itself than usual.
Rated 07 Nov 2010
"Hannah and Her Sisters" is engaging, realistic and often quite funny (thanks to Woody Allen's neurotic performance), but ultimately unrewarding. Allen's depiction of family life is heartfelt and true, but falls in the trap of thinking that simply being veridical is enough to make a film great. However, his film is as good as uneventful character dramas get and, despite its drawbacks and disappointing finale, it's worthwhile for the depth of the performances and the intelligence of the script.
Rated 08 Dec 2006
Lordy, what a cast. It's tough to do multiple storylines like this, but Allen makes it work. I get really involved in the characters and interested in how they're going to behave. Everyone goes through their own little crisis and comes out better for it. There's nothing spectacular about the film, I just like it.
Rated 31 Mar 2011
Woody's third masterpiece. It has everything I look forward to in a Woody Allen film and more. "I had a great evening; it was like the Nuremberg Trials." (four times)
Rated 01 Apr 2011
Gripping story of a year in the lives of three sisters and all their problems. Wonderfully paced and while it may not distinguish itself content-wise all that much from the rest of Allen's films, it is spectacularly well-done. Very funny, too.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
Smart, tender, and funny in equal measure, Hannah and Her Sisters is one of Woody Allen's finest films.
Rated 25 Feb 2018
Fascinating. Seriously, no blank dialogue at all.
Rated 02 Sep 2011
Intelligently written film; Woody Allen proving once again that no matter how much Nietzsche they can quote, or how many New York buildings whose architects they can name-drop, or how much atheism and WWII history they've researched, even intellectuals struggle with love. Plus, the tacked-on ending is actually totally suitable and really uplifting - no wonder Woody Allen was against it.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
A sort of dime store philosophical ending aside, it was enjoyable. Couple really hilarious parts but it doesn't end up being a "funny movie."
Rated 09 Apr 2012
The best Woody Allen film that I've seen so far. Every character is interesting, the dialogue is top-notch, and the way the plot weaves in and out of everyone's lives is very well done.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
He did it again! Woody Allen's one of the best.
A truly brilliant woody allen movie. it's touching and funny and just great.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Surprisingly satisfying ensemble piece. Michale Caine does a nice turn as we visit the lives of a lot of wealthy good looking New Yorkers who can still find something to complain about. Some good jokes and a few genuinely good sequences which live in the memory.
The first time I saw this, upon release, the Michael Caine character aggravated me to the point of seriously interfering with my enjoyment of the movie. When I subsequently saw the movie again many years later, this no longer seemed a big problem and I loved the film. Perhaps the highlight, though, is Bobby Short's rendition of Cole Porter's "I'm in Love Again". All the female characters and actors are great.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
Woody Allen does an Ingmar Bergman movie -- complete with one of Bergman's favorite actors, Max von Sydow. Brooding characters, meditations on death and the meaning of life -- and lots of jokes. Also good to see that somebody was standing up and screaming, "Art! Real Art! Taste!" in the middle of the '80s. The best comedy ever made that makes a strong case for why you should not kill yourself, no matter how stupid and insane life and people get
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Back when Woody was still a must-see.
Rated 22 May 2014
The only character's problems I could relate to were Woody Allen's, although Diane Wiest's character and performance were excellent. A little bit bland, I'd only watch it once.
Rated 23 Mar 2011
Very funny and compelling characters. Favourite scene is the one with the three sisters talking at a restaurant and the camera circles their table in a long continuous take. Like Annie Hall, the humour has a Seinfeld-like style.
Rated 13 Apr 2014
Outstanding film is a strong contender as Allen's masterpiece; ingenious interweaving of the lives of an array of fascinating New Yorkers, spiced with the perfect blend of neurotic comedy, drama and even romanticism. Superb cast fires on all cylinders, with Caine and Allen himself standing out, though O'Sullivan and Nolan as Farrow's parents are also a lot of fun. Wonderful soundtrack choices are the capper on a truly marvellous and wonderful film.
Rated 21 Feb 2014
would be so much better if woody allen wasnt in it. his character was so obnoxious here.
Rated 30 Sep 2022
Hate woody allen movies.
Rated 21 May 2023
Everyone agrees this is the best Michael Caine movie, right? Also, it may be Woody's best performance, especially the scenes he has with Kavner. IMO this one perfectly demonstrates how much Woody disintegrated over the years. Very easy to imagine a 21st century version of Allen making this movie and having Caine be rewarded for his infidelity at the end because... whatever works, right? Seeing Nicole Holofcener in the credits of these 80s ones is a jumpscare every time.
Rated 25 Dec 2013
Even though the film is a deep exploration of the human relations, sometimes it looks like ripped apart blend of drama and Woody's whining.
Rated 05 Aug 2023
This one's probably my 3rd or 4th Woody Allen movies, and now I'm starting to see a recurring pattern, it's entertaining and something different for a change nevertheless.
Rated 18 Nov 2013
watched: 2013, 2024
Rated 02 Sep 2013
awesome movie with decent ending
Rated 07 Jul 2013
The dialogue is compelling and works really well, the scenes possess a certain charm and emanate a kind of nostalgic brilliance, and the soundtrack is simply delectable. The actors' performances are wonderful; Allen portrays a role of his own, and everything works out really well in the end.
Rated 12 Jun 2013
Lindo e lindo os questionamentos sobre fé, lindos os questionamento sobre amor e verdade e talento, lindo e inspirador.
Rated 11 Jan 2024
While the unusually large number of characters Allen juggles in compelling ways here explains why this was so critically beloved at the time, if you saw this (as I did) AFTER seeing most of Allen's films - especially his biggest heavyweights - it feels less special. It's still way better than most dramas, but the hypochondriac jokes feel less fresh. The happy ending also doesn't exactly match the revealing look into how selfish & delusional humans are. Crimes and Misdemeanors hit me harder.
Rated 01 Jun 2013
This is definitely one of the better Woody Allen films I've seen, up there with Annie Hall. It's a slice of life film that may seem a little meaningless & meandering at first, but comes together quite well in the end. It has a great ensemble cast, which doesn't just focus on the titular character and her sisters. At first, I thought Allen had inserted his usual character where he didn't belong, but I probably liked his character's story the most. It was funny and insightful, & I liked it a lot.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
A wonderfully acted, perfectly written meditation on loneliness, death, love, and family. Often hilarious - and just as often, moving.
Rated 30 Apr 2016
(...)Tief im Herzen des Films lässt sich eine Tragödie ausmachen und sie ist der Grund dafür, weshalb Mickey permanenter Aussenseiter bleibt. Während sämtliche Figuren sich entwickeln, mit ihrem Leben vorankommen, steckt Mickey fest mit seinen Beschwerden über Krankheit und Tod. Mickey glaubt nicht an ein Leben nach dem Tod, schlimmer, er neigt dazu, selbst am Leben im Hier und Jetzt zu zweifeln. Ist es wirklich echt?(...)
Rated 25 Dec 2018
Somehow criticker thought I would really like this. But nope, its painful, dated. Unbelievable pretentious inner monologues. Old gross men with attractive women. Characters I didn't care about (especially the men). It is a little worth watching for the curious brief conversation WA has about child molestation. - But mostly meh, I think we've evolved
Rated 02 Oct 2018
87.33.
Rated 15 Jul 2019
B+
Rated 20 Oct 2019
Frederick: "You missed a very dull TV show on Auschwitz. More gruesome film clips, and more puzzled intellectuals declaring their mystification over the systematic murder of millions. The reason they can never answer the question "How could it possibly happen?" is that it's the wrong question. Given what people are, the question is "Why doesn't it happen more often?"
Rated 06 Aug 2017
Well, that title is somewhat misleading. It should be Hannah, Her Sisters and Woody Allen.
Rated 05 Dec 2019
Kindaremindsofseinfeld+youwantadefrostedchild?lool+nonperson-haircutposingasamanetclool+thesadcrueltyofhimcheating-shewonderingwhatswrong-hefightingwithher+howdoiknowwhytherewerenazisidunnohowthetoasterworks!lol+hannahremindsmeofholly+ilikedwoody'scrisisoffaith/death+woodyendsupwithdianne-hewasinfertilebutshepreg+andcainestayedwithhannah-siskindaforcedit
Rated 24 Feb 2020
MAX VON SYDOW
Rated 09 Oct 2016
I dunno if I was in the wrong mood or what but this did absolutely nothing for me. It just felt so dry and flat and like things were just happening but I didn't get why I would be expected to care about them.
Rated 15 Aug 2014
Bra Allen. Mange flotte skuespillere og et tidvis ganske smart plott som aldri faller for fristelsen til å bli melodramatisk, men heller forholder seg passelig ironisk til figurene det omhandler. Ga meg ikke egentlig så mye å tenke på i etterkant, men jeg koste meg da jeg så den, og noen ganger er det egentlig nok. Gleder meg til jeg finner en av ham som ligner mer på Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Rated 14 Mar 2020
I often have a hard time relating to the upper class people with their upper class problems that make up a typical Allen movie, and this is no exception. Well acted and smart at times, but couldn't get into it much.
Rated 19 Jun 2015
I found the sections with Woody Allen on his own a bit out of place, but the rest of the film is lovely. The sections with Lee and Elliot are probably my favourite ones.
Rated 11 May 2015
Probably Allen's greatest ensemble of actors/actresses and the deeply human characters they portray. The raw simplicity of it allows the interesting, complex characters to shine strong on their own, but it also makes the film lack the striking stylization that make Allen's masterpieces like Annie Hall and Manhattan stand out.
Rated 22 Mar 2015
Another gem from Woody. Terrific writing, amazing acting.
Rated 30 Aug 2020
Definitely one of Allen's better movies. His character Mickey was very funny, and easily the highlight of the film. The rest of the characters were also perfectly cast and wonderfully acted. Stylistically its very much on point with its use of music, and as always the way Allen captures New York is simply delightful. I also liked how the stories intertwined. That said its not perfect. Some of the drama was over the top, and some of the conflicts could have been handled a bit more delicately.
Rated 08 Sep 2020
Suffers from a lot of the regular Allen weaknesses (cheap jokes set up for their own purpose, telling instead of showing, archetypical characters), but does have a fair bit of substance.
Rated 01 Mar 2021
A well-written trifle. I appreciate the characterizations and acting, but find the epilogue something of a fantasy that works against the realism of the rest of the picture--living with lies, especially in one's inner circle, does not yield robust or even peaceable relationships. Each of the female leads is so good here, though, and the dialogue so rich that it's hard not to enjoy this overall.
Rated 02 Mar 2008
# 685
Rated 20 May 2009
Presents some very interesting ideas as well as some memorable characters, but allen's portion seems too far removed from the rest of the story.
Rated 26 Apr 2009
Don't know...obviously it is a good movie, and some superb performances here, but the weakest link here seemed to be Woody himself (as an actor); he does The Usual Role he has done before and better, and is completely unnecessary to the rest of the movie. This should have been better.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Good Movie
Rated 14 Feb 2009
Been awhile
Rated 25 Dec 2008
michael caine and woody allen steal the spotlight so well that it makes any scene without them seem dull and uninteresting. i must say, though, when they are on screen my eyes were glued to the tv and my ears waited intently for every word they said. a good, but not quite rounded enough movie, and the ending is pretty damned good.
Rated 24 Dec 2008
Watchable Allen movie.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 21 Jun 2008
More middling Allen fare, but a good starting point for noobs to his movies. Much of it is pretty by-numbers stuff, but the subplot involving Caine, Hershey and von Sydow is easily worth all the bleh.
Rated 16 Jul 2009
what the christ, woody
Rated 29 Oct 2007
Sweet film about families.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
Woody's greatest film and Mia Farrow is beautiful
Rated 06 Sep 2007
Fine and whistful and funny, with great views of Manhattan and top performances from all involved -- most especially the great Dianne Wiest.
Amazing Film, one of Allen's best.
I can't say I like this as much as any of the other Allens I've seen so far, but it's still good. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is as good as you would expect, the story of Woody's character's existential crisis was very well done, and the end is very clever. Still, the story didn't grab me as much as that of Crimes and Misdemeanors, and the movie wasn't as funny as Annie Hall.
Rated 15 Jun 2007
Excellent ensemble drama, I wouldn't say one of Allen's very best but it's still up there somewhere. Unsurprisingly, Allen's character provides a few quality laughs, especially a hillarious scene where he tells his parents he's converting to Catholicism.
Rated 22 Feb 2007
The acting in this movie deserves a standing ovation and the story itself is simplistically involving. However, it's Woody Allen's character that makes this movie so enjoyable. His psychological complexities are told in a hysterical fashion.
Rated 17 Jan 2007
I like these kinds of Woody Allen films. It feels like an intelligently written short story or novella. The three sisters are all wonderfully fleshed out and believable, even though I wouldn't mind if Dianne Wiest were hit by a bus.
Rated 15 Feb 2011
Typical Woody Allen, and that's a good thing. Interesting characters in interesting predicaments, and some wonderful acting. It didn't wow me as much as Crimes and Misdemeanors or Annie Hall, but it thoroughly entertained me. Nobody combines entertaining and thought-provoking as well as Allen.
Rated 16 Jul 2012
Every single time you forget it's also a comedy there is a perfectly placed, hilarious line or two to remind you. So well paced, so well played. ...and who does New York City better than Woody Allen?
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Woody Allen might write for women better than any other male writer ever.
Rated 13 Mar 2012
Not the most groundbreaking Allen film but who cares? it's still fabulous. Probably the lightest of his films dealing on mortality and the consequences (or lack thereof) of Sin.
Rated 12 Mar 2012
pretty uneven and not-so-amazing dialogue as woody allen usually delivers. some terrific parts (mickey, mostly) and some things I really couldn't care for (caine/von sydow). oh, and most importantly: I didnt laugh once.
Rated 10 Mar 2012
Despite some good scenes and some decent performances, Allen's film failed to impress me. Because of my taste in comedy, I found rare moments of laughter throughtout the film which ultimately just left the drama. And that drama seemed far inferior to that of Allen's own Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Rated 01 Dec 2011
#697
Rated 25 Aug 2011
"Name droppin intellectuals like a Woody Allen flick"
Rated 01 Apr 2011
I can't quite put my finger on why, but Woody Allen movies have never been my cup of tea. Despite a good cast, I just had a really hard time getting into this film. For me, the message was better than the packaging it came wrapped in.
Rated 02 Jan 2013
This is the Woody Allen that I love.
Rated 01 Jan 2011
A joy to behold, a complex film that never loses either its sense of purpose or sense of humor.
Rated 25 Dec 2010
I've always called this my favorite Allen film; I'm still a big fan. The three title characters, as well as Caine's and von Sydow's, are all masterpieces, and the scenes involving them are impossibly effortless in their richness of detail and spot-on dialogue. It's so fun to watch no less than ten great actors have a ball with these words. But on this viewing I found that parts of it seemed too jokey, every plot point was telegraphed, and Allen's own character seemed to inhabit a different film.
Rated 14 Nov 2010
Apart from Allen's notable acting, the cold, distant and boring first hour is merely an indifferent mass of superficial, repetitive, pretentious and totally uninteresting characters. Thankfully, the final forty minutes are far wittier and pleasantly surprising. Worth seeing once.
Rated 11 Apr 2010
i thank woody allen for this great movie and for introducing me to the poetry of e.e. cummings
Rated 19 Jan 2010
Another great movie from Allen, well structured, always a clever script, with his usual good humor, interesting dialogues and thoughts on human existentialism.
Rated 15 Jan 2010
Rated 14 Aug 2009
One of Allen's absolute best.