Hannibal

Hannibal

2001

Rated 12 Feb 2007
Giving up the intelligence and complexity of The Silence of the Lambs for more standard horror movie thrills with absurb violence. A real shame. While Hopkins, Oldman and Liotta are quite good the plot itself is actually rather bland.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
Though opting for grossfest, this is exactly the kind of Hannibalsploitation you'd fear from a sequel. Part supernatural being, scaring Haitians and dogs, part dirty old annoying man, stalking Starling and rambling about what kind of bird she is. Ridley Scott was a wrong choice for director: He likes his women strong and so, the balance between the delicate Starling and the horrendous Lector is ruined. Ironically this displays what a fragile concept Hannibal is.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
Huge disappointment after the brilliance that was The Silence of the Lambs. I don't necessarily fault the actors - if you likes Hopkins in Silence you'll like him here - so much as the script. Julianne Moore's problem isn't so much that she isn't Jodie Foster so much as it is that the novel this film is based upon mutilated the character she plays until unrecognizable. Even though the writers toned down the ending, they couldn't salvage the dreck that was the novel. A true shame.
Rated 13 Mar 2010
Good god almighty this was a horrible idea. Hannibal is almost set up like a slasher film. Ray Liotta is pretty terrible and campy as well. He's also in one gory scene that is so ridiculous that it has to be seen at least once. This combines numerous decent actors into one silly shitpile of a film. David Mamet's writing never seemed more ridiculous than in this nonsense.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Scott unwisely portrays Lecter as the hero (with flowing cape no less!) thereby diluting his menace and robbing us the guilty pleasure of rooting for the villain. An average plot leading to a stupid ending, cements this film as pointless and unsatisfying.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
Worth watching for the brain scene, but uh, not very good overall.
Rated 09 Jun 2010
the only thing this movie took from the book was its name, so much of the story line is missing and they flat out change the ending turning the story of doctor Hannibal lector into a piece of crap
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Where did the Doctor's balls go? Oh, I see, Ridley ate them. Well you ain't gettin mine, pal.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
Really wore thin the novelty of Lecter.
Rated 30 Jul 2009
I liked it more than most people seem to like it, so it gets a solid rating. The scene where he cuts the top of Ray Liotta's head and eats his brain is pretty much one of the best scenes ever.
Rated 20 Apr 2007
One of those flicks I never could tell why people hate. Gary Oldman is the fucking man (as usual).
Rated 16 Jun 2017
Only the second most disgusting Gary Oldman performance, after his portrayal of the Devil in the Guns n' Roses 'Since I Don't Have You' music video.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
Perhaps I should give this another go since Oldman is in it. I generally like horror and I love the character of Lecter, but I just don't like to see Ray Liotta hurt.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Totally unnecessary. Hannibal is only really frightening when he's still something of an enigma. Having him step out of the shadows robs him of his mystique and makes for a dull film.
Boring, lacks the darkness and dread that "Silence of the Lambs" was full of, and of course, Clarice is nothing without the amazing Jodi Foster... sorry Julianne Moore.
Rated 15 Jun 2010
If you can avoid comparing it to "Silence of the Lambs" this can certainly be appreciated. Hopkins is still great as Lecter and Scott brings a lot of visual flair to the proceedings... the scenes in Florence are particulary memorable. Less frightening, more grand guignol, but still worth the time.
Rated 31 Oct 2013
Hannibal is a mediocre sequel to it's far superior predecessor 'The Silence of the Lambs'. Anthony Hopkins gives another compelling performance and Gary Oldman, Ray Liotta and Giancarlo Giannini are all worthy additions. However Julianne Moore is an unsatisfying replacement for the absent Jodie Foster. Hannibal swaps the slow mounting tension of it's predecessor for less effective and exposed gore. It is interesting and chilling but occasionally dull and very average by Ridley Scott's standards.
Any sequal to "Silence of the Lambs" is going to have a hard time comparing to the original. Sadly the book, "Hannibal" is not much better than the movie. Juianna Moore is a good actress, but she's no Jodie Foster. Still worth seeing.
Rated 07 Mar 2015
The very good acting and direction mean that I didn't regret that I watched this, and yes, there are some entertainingly wacky, random goings-on in this movie. But honestly, this lacks all the actual emotional impact and investment of the rest of the series. I haven't read the book, but I feel like the story just isn't very good, as it really is beautifully filmed, and very well acted (kudos to Julianne Moore for taking an iconic role and making it her own).
Rated 08 Oct 2007
I love this trilogy. Hopkins was immortalized, as Lector.
Rated 05 Sep 2009
Really terrible. Julianne Moore gives one of the worst performances of her career and is just embarrassingly bad. If she wasn't getting paid millions I'd feel bad for her. Just a really boring movie and that ending was so dumb. ugh, wtf Ridley Scott?
Rated 28 Oct 2008
Fuck this movie and fuck the book.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
This is a killer line-up (great director, screenwriter, and actors) adapting a terrible book. They did the best they could with what they had.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Hopkins Hannibal has become a weird caricature. Moore dials this one in, and a shitty book becomes a shitty movie.
Rated 29 Nov 2010
With regard to horror sequels, there have been worse defamations (Psycho, Exorcist), but this is one that most pointedly shows how much American horror has changed for the worst and, in 2010, the permanency of this shift from suspense to gore.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
A huge step down from Silence of the Lambs. Characters are flat and one-dimensional. Even though Lecter is still played by Anthony Hopkins his irresistible charm and intelligence is gone. Seems that the main goal of Scott was to gross everyone out. Well, the film is successful at that, but I was expecting something better than just a genre film.
Rated 10 Sep 2008
After a rewatch I was surprised that, for a film where we see someone eat his own brains, this film is entirely devoid of any intellectual substance.
Rated 10 Feb 2007
Unneeded.
Rated 13 Feb 2007
If you couldn't get enough of the characters from the first film, HANNIBAL gets a mild recommendation as long as you have two essential things: lowered expectations and a strong stomach.
Rated 24 Oct 2018
I had read the book before... The mistake was mine (still love Anthony Hopkins performance though...).
Rated 02 Mar 2007
While Silence of the Lambs concentrated on the police procedural and coming of age side of the story, Hannibal is a grand guignol that focuses on the beloved killer. It embraces over the top ridiculousness, and succeeds quite well at it. Ridley Scott does a fine job of adapting the novel, which was almost a flipoff to demanding fans.
Rated 16 Mar 2007
Pointless.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
I remember very little about it, but OF WHAT I REMEMBER it looked okay. There was a brain eating scene or something? More my enviornment than the movie.
Rated 11 May 2018
Enjoyed Hopkin's performance more here than in Silence, because his hamminess fits with the silliness of the script. This was never gonna be a great film, but its biggest failure is in not being as over-the-top as the book. I understand a lot had to be trimmed, but it loses out in not including Verger's butch sister, & Lecter's & Starling's happily ever after.
Rated 05 Jun 2010
Definitely unsettling. Decent!!!
Rated 17 May 2007
Freaky
Rated 21 May 2007
A film that I hated when first released is much better when viewing it years later. It is incomparable to Silence of the Lambs, but a solid suspense film with visual flair supplied in large doses by Scott.
Rated 26 May 2007
Decent.
Rated 30 Aug 2009
What's with the hate? I thought this was totally decent. I mean, obviously it's not Silence of the Lambs, but there was still some cool moments and the story is entertaining enough.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
i love it ..:)
Rated 01 Aug 2007
Ridley Scott is a great director, and great cast, but the novel itself sucked, and so even with the great David Mamet, HANNIBAL is dogged by, well, a dog of a story.
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Alright if seen as a comedy, terrible mess if taken straight.
god
Rated 08 Mar 2021
ne kadar moral bozdu anlatamam. başrolde oynayanı düzgün seçememek yakışır mıydı hannibal filmine. moore filmi yok ettin. alt lig filmlerine geri dön ve orda kal
Rated 01 May 2012
Hannibal is not a waste of your time if you enjoyed Anthony Hopkins' performance in The Silence of the Lambs and want to see more from him. It is, however, not worth watching if you want a solid plot, because it's all over the map here. The relationship between Lecter and Clarice gets more development, but the psychological battle between the pair is all but gone, and the only suspense comes either at the end or with Giannini's character. It's only truly worth your time for Hopkins.
Rated 09 May 2010
We all knew it was going to be bad when Jodie Foster didn't come back, but at least it has brain eating.
Rated 19 Sep 2010
Though I love Hopkins in his gentlemen English roles, he brings chills in the thrillers!
Rated 09 Sep 2009
although not perfect, Hannibal is a somewhat overly bashed movie as far as I am concerned. Oldman is fantastic and Anthony Hopkins *is* Hannibal Lecter. most of the Florence based material is fantastic. Jodie Foster is severely missed.
this was pretty tight. i couldnt really care about any of the characters though, including the titular.
They ruined poor hannibal :(
Rated 16 May 2017
Illustrates what a truly good movie "Silence of the Lambs" is.
Rated 25 Jul 2011
I love Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lechter, but this movie has one of the most disturbing scenes I have ever witnessed in film! The image still haunts me. I think they went WAY over the line! I was shocked Hopkins and Ray Liotta went along with it. I won't describe the scene. If you've seen it, you know. If you haven't, I recommend skipping the movie and seeing Red Dragon instead.
Rated 07 Sep 2012
Not terrible, but it's impossible not to compare Hopkins performances here, and while that's unfair, it's no less impossible. The original is legitimately one of the great performances in movie history.
Rated 08 Oct 2010
If there was anything special or unique about "Silence of the Lamps", it's not present in "Hannibal", a mostly formulaic and uninspired thriller. Much of the original's fascination stemmed from the intense interaction between the protagonists, but here, it has been reduced to some cliché quips. Scott does an adequate job in the director's chair, but can't match Demme's visual splendor. Hopkins was scarier behind the glass/Moore is misrecast/I like Liotta better when he's not eating his brain.
Not too good, though at least they remedied Harris's ending.
Terrible
Liked it, a little creepy, but liked it.
Rated 07 Mar 2017
Here we have a sequel with Hopkins returning as the ever intelligent, sick and twisted Hannibal; but Foster is not back as her great character which hinders the film a bit. The story is a little lacking, but they do add a few little gory tidbits.
Rated 19 Jul 2011
While superbly acted and stylishly filmed, Hannibal lacks the character interaction between the two leads which made the first movie so engrossing.
Rated 12 Jun 2009
Well acted and presented. A good shocking thriller and it's aged well.
Almost a dark comedy. Not as scary as the others, but charming
Middling.
Rated 07 Sep 2021
ilk 20 dakikası 90 idi halbuki
Rated 21 Jun 2011
Ridley Scott directed one of my favorite movies of all time (Alien) and another movie that I really love (Black Hawk Down). Aside from those, he's directed a bunch of movies that I either haven't seen or don't care for. He took one of the most intense, intriguing mystery/thrillers of all time and made a sequel that could put a speed freak to sleep. If you can make it to the "Ray Liotta eating pieces of his own exposed brain scene," you may want to laugh or cry. Both are acceptable reactions.
Rated 14 May 2009
hopkins!!!!
Rated 20 Nov 2008
'Silence of the Lambs' was a REALLY tough act to follow, but I think this movie does a decent job. The casting is great--while her take on the character is different, I think Julianne Moore was an excellent choice for Starling, and I've always found Ray Liotta just as creepy and vaguely smarmy as the books made him out to be. And Gary Oldman...like 5th Element, just wow.
null
No Silence of the Lambs
Anthony Hopkins is on autopilot son! The brain-eating is the highlight, other than that it's incredibly forgettable - not horrid, just forgettable, which is a surprise coming from the collision of Ridley Scott and an Oscar-winning franchise. Can't win 'em all.
Rated 19 Jun 2012
Well that was completely unnecessary and irredeemably awful!
Rated 20 Feb 2010
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Compared to Silence of the Lambs it's a complete letdown.
Rated 14 Nov 2008
Julianne Moore ;)
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 24 Aug 2007
piece of shit. this is one of the worst movies i've seen. jesus christ this movie is so bad. it makes the 94th installment of "halloween" series look like a class a-material.
Rated 28 Aug 2007
Excellent. Creepy. And more creepy.
Rated 24 Feb 2015
Overstuffed plot, tacky direction and cinematography, and a strange fetishism for it's score and soundtrack - which doesn't help distract the audience that what is happening on screen is tacky as fuck. Like an airport thriller, but inexplicably more grotesque. One could argue it's a excellent camp rendition of the character but that would be giving this too much credit.
Rated 12 Mar 2011
this film is no brain food
Rated 12 Nov 2007
The most awfully boring, dull, and disengenous horror film ever made in the Hannibal Lector trilogy, trite.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
the ending made it almost worth it.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
The worst of the Hannibal trio is still very entertaining, thanks to Anthony Hopkins.
Rated 06 Mar 2011
Not Silence of the Lambs but what could be? More stylish but still has its more creepy moments
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Definitely a guilty pleasure. Moore is abysmal compared to Foster, but fuck it, Hopkins is so campy he'll make you forget about her. If you think this was too ridiculous you should read the book (or at least wiki it), specifically Verger's fate and the ending.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Let's be gross for gross sake is not thrilling, and hahaha the ending...blah.
Rated 24 Apr 2008
Obviously no Silence of the Lambs, but it's kind of fun nonetheless. Cut it some slack, sheesh.
Rated 13 May 2008
Had decent plot, and cast of actors. Hopkins does a good job of playing Hannibal Lector and Jodie Foster is a great Clarrise Starling; but as most movies base don books it deviated.
Rated 21 Oct 2023
The brain-eating? Okay. The romance? Ick. A lot of stuff in this movie doesn't have anything to do with anything, but there's a decent TV episode in here about Hannibal and the Italian cop.
Rated 21 Feb 2011
Sadly not greater than the sum of its parts, but also not as bad as many make it out to be. Surely, silence of the lambs outshines it in every aspect, but that is quite a benchmark and hopkins still delivers as the charismatic dr. lecter, even though he often lacks his previous finesse.
Rated 10 Dec 2009
4/5
Rated 10 Sep 2012
This installment in the Hannibal series is a much bloodier more graphic addition to the series. The casting of the movie was great, especially Gary Oldman, who always brings his best to any part. The cinematography was great and the locations really were well chosen. The back and forth between Italy and Virginia really helped make the scenes bright and colorful. The parts in Italy really helped bring Hannibal's eccentric love of the classical world to life.
Rated 06 Sep 2012
Anthony Hopkins in his best performance, at my humble view.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
A DELICIOUS movie! Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, and Julianne Moore are phenomenal in this film. If you like serial killer flicks about cannibalistic crazies, you can't top this one! Ray Liotta is a sick, mean, twisted fuck who gets his head handed to him... almost literally. Hannibal appeals to anyone who enjoys being disgusted but amused at the same time. I could watch this twisted film any day of the week! Giancarlo Giannini is superb here as well. Ridley Scott directs this beauty.
Rated 05 Jul 2008
Interesting and gory
Rated 12 Jul 2008
A bit boring.
Rated 22 Dec 2013
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Pt. 2. Eventhough I saw this before part 1 I still think this one is the best. Clariiiiicccceee
Rated 15 Sep 2008
IMHO, not that good as Silence of the Lambs... unfortunately.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
hmmm, ikke lige som den kunne være
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Not as good as "Silent of the lambs" but good, cause of Anthony Hopkins!
Rated 07 Dec 2013
Definitely not the most worthy sequel to Silence of the Lambs; the dramatic power wasn't really brought back into the franchise until Red Dragon. Still, (SPOILER ALERT) boars bred to eat people, Gary Oldman with a ripped up face, and a guy being forced to eat his own brain...points for matching the grotesque nature of its predecessor! Story was very weak on Sterling's end, but then again, the movie's not called Sterling, is it?