2007
Family/Kids
In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry returns for his fifth year of study at Hogwarts only to discover that much of the wizarding community has been led to believe that the story of the teenager's recent encounter with the evil Lord Voldemort is a lie, putting Harry's integrity in question. Worse, the Minister for Magic, Cornelius Fudge, has appointed a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, the duplicitous Professor Dolores Umbridge... (imdb)

2007
Family/Kids

Rated 14 Jul 2015
It's limited by its source material (the weakest book in the series), and the death of a major character doesn't have the dramatic weight that it should. Still, it's the most visually rich entry in the series so far, and the climactic wizard duel truly wows.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
Actually quite cinematically stunning. Shot/directed beautifully, and the editing and special effects are brilliant. Obviously misses and changes some of the plot stories in the book, but that's only expected and it pulls it off well. Emotionally gripping, mature, well-acted (for once), and overall the first Potter film to be a genuinely very good movie. Impressive.
Rated 28 Aug 2010
this film brings kids fantasy worlds to life with spells flying on brooms and magic. In this movie harry fights another long fight with the his enemy voldemort. he also happens to be the one person voldemort could never kill. It has great special effects which brings the movie to life
Rated 03 Jul 2008
These movies have gone from forgettable to downright bad. There's no room for any development of the supporting characters, the events just happen but lose their significance, and the ending downright contradicts the books and eliminates large portions of the plot for future films. If I hadn't read the books, I'd be lost and confused, and as I have, I'm just angry. This is the wrong approach entirely.
Rated 12 Apr 2012
Five is better than Six which is better than Four which is better than both One and Two. And now you know how a thirty year old man ranks movies that are geared towards children.
Rated 28 Oct 2007
In all fairness, I had been avoiding the Harry Potter franchise entirely, and only watched this because they showed it on a flight. Anyway, it was pretty straight-forward and doesn't look as if I've missed much. Just as expected, it's your usual cookie-cutter children-oriented blockbuster, and has very little value or substance whatever your age might be.
Rated 15 Mar 2019
For the first time the series finds a genuine villain in Dolores Umbridge. Imelda Staunton's fantastic portrayal really hits a nerve. The twisting of Hogwarts into an regressive authoritarian hellhole in line with the political establishment and tabloid media should grip at the gut of free-thinkers, progressives and school children alike. Yates does justice to Rowling's fairly scathing political commentary, as bleak as it is, and the supporting cast is as richly characterised as the lead roles.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
I only like it because it's Harry Potter. As a movie itself, it's sub-par.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
I love fantasy...and hate Harry Potter movies. "Ohhh! Harry, you are the mostest SPECIALEST boy there ever was! I just want to shower you with special gifts and treats!" Why his fellow students didn't tar and feather him, I'll never know.
Rated 29 Jul 2007
Considering that the longest Harry Potter novel became one of the shortest adaptations, its fast pace was to be expected - the film is galloping from one crucial story point to another, cutting everything possible in between. Still, it's done reasonably well, and although someone who had not read the book may have trouble following or at least enjoying the film, they probably wouldn't be in the audience for the first place, would they?
Rated 16 Jul 2011
The Order of the Phoenix may be my least favorite book in the series, and now I remember why. So many things here are, in a word, irritating. Harry's constant whining is irritating; the Ministry of Magic's unwillingness to admit that Voldemort has returned makes no sense, and is irritating; Dolores Umbridge is an irritatingly bad character. Another problem is that the film feels very rushed. It's still Harry Potter so I still enjoyed it to an extent, but for me it's a bit of nadir in the series.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
When I saw this at the movies I was devestated, it was a poor adaption and the editing and score was terrible. But it is starting to grow on me. I have accepted the Harry Potter films as an evolutionary process.
Rated 14 Oct 2007
Good story without any climax. Seems to approach one, but story hangs in mid-air at the end.
Rated 21 Mar 2009
Definitely the best Harry Potter film up to date.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Imelda Staunton sparks a truly fantastic Umbridge, and the actress playing Luna Lovegood was so unbelievably perfect. Dark, dank, but still something short of magical.
Rated 28 Dec 2007
I was impressed by Daniel Radcliffe's performance in this installment. He's come much farther than any of the other child actors and it seems like he has a viable future in acting. The cast is uniformly good, as always, and the special effects were employed very tastefully. The showdown between Voldemort and Dumbledore and Harry's subsequent possession was the best sequence in the HP films, bar none. I'm excited to see the next book on screen soon.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
This is my least favorite Harry Potter film. To me, absolutely nothing actually changed from beginning to end. Sure, one guy died. Sad times. But that was it.
Best movie yet.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
While it is a step up from the fourth film I think this one was hurt by having so much cut out from the book. It was a massive novel and the whole thing feels kinda hurried. Still entertaining for fans.
Rated 07 Oct 2010
Immelda Staunton is superb and epitomises the character of Dolores Umbridge perfectly. I love the books but I found the movie had too many characters and scenes not easily understood without reading the source material. I know it's difficult to squeeze the richness of the narrative into c. 140minute film but they only did an adequate job.
Rated 16 Jul 2009
A solid entry in a film series that has improved more or less consistently from its inception.
Rated 06 Mar 2023
More political this time around, examining intra-Hogwarts conflict between a governing body and the school itself. I like that, in part because we've had a few movies to establish the setting/dynamic, and in part because it's just done well. The characters around Harry--some arguably more interesting than him--are given ample opportunity to shine. Other movies allowed that too, but this one has done it the best. Good fights, especially at the end. Exciting. Emotional.
Rated 14 Jul 2007
Pretty bad.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
The shortest Potter film so far, and all the better for it. A great mix of darkness and fun.
Rated 10 Apr 2010
Ugh. The political story is a drag, and too much narration is done through devices such as voiceovers, CG and flying newspapers. All in all the story here is a mess. On the plus side, the kid actors are on better form and the spellcasting effects and battle scenes are better than any before. The best performance is once again Alan Rickman's which reflects poorly on co-stars with more screen time. Also someone in charge of the climactic fight scene was clearly a Star Wars fanboy. Again... mess.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
This is the best one of the series so far.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Magic blah blah blah...puberty e.t.c.
Rated 09 Aug 2007
Improved, but still nothing special and is instantly forgettable. The special effects are quite unconvincing in places lacking "oomph" and the plot was scrappy, essentially making the film very much a bare-bones version. On top of that the acting of the leading teenage actors is still below par, the magic is unbalanced with no physical damage shown to cause death (Sirius Black). The final sequence was just all too little, too late. The series fails to inflate to its true potential once again.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
I think the critics have collectively missed the boat in saying the franchise has lost its magic. On the contrary, this fifth film keeps the magic alive and exhilarating. The flaws of the last HP films are becoming more and more recognized and therefore pruned. Radcliffe isn't as bad as he can be and there is a great compromise between story and style. For us to expect the movies to continue wowing us is a sad mistake. Stay in it for Harry Potter himself and his amazing, continuing story.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
One of the worst adaptations in the entire series. They just didn't do it justice.
Rated 03 Feb 2008
The appeal of these movies continues to avoid me. I have a great affection for the books, but that doesn't automatically translate into a love for the movies. The kids have not grown more talented as actors and the adults (some of the UK's finest actors), aren't given enough to do. Let's not make the Harry Potter movies for the sake of making them. We need some quality control in here.
Rated 09 Aug 2007
Arguably one of the better books in the series, turned into an entirely mediocre entry into the Harry Potter series. Still, even the mediocre films have the budget and the cast and the source material to develop into a pretty decent film.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Horribly directed and edited, completely formulaic and predictable. I haven't read any of the books and didn't know anything about the story, but I had it figured out halfway through. It felt like a movie for kids, more so than the other ones I've seen. A pretty good example of how NOT to do an adaptation. Everything is really disjointed, the pacing is bad, and many of the characters are completely useless and should have just been left out.
Rated 11 Sep 2011
Though widely considered the worst of the Potter films, screenwriter Michael Goldenberg finally brings focus to the series that the previous films failed to achieve. David Yates adds a certain darkness and maturity that ages the series perfectly with its audience and remains for the duration of the series. However, it still carries much of the same Potter faults and is overall a mediocre film at best.
Rated 24 Oct 2007
Incoherent, but worth seeing for Imelda Staunton's performance and the impeccable production design. As usual, Harry is passive and boring and has to be talked into doing a bunch of things that are other people's ideas. Oh, and the little blonde Irish girl is adorable and the other best thing in the movie.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
I've never been a fan of potter. In fact I don't even remember if I've seen the previous one in this franchise. This was worse than I expected. No sense of direction, no real character development, no solid acting, and no coherency. Still somewhat watchable for its fantasy world. (oh and Emma Watson cannot act at all).
Rated 04 Mar 2011
Probably my favourite Potter film.
Rated 02 Mar 2010
Maybe not the most entertaining one, but at least comparing it to the worst of the saga (Goblet of Fire, slightly more enjoyable as it includes much more action and events), Order of the Phoenix has more message and is better directed. It's again back to the dark side of the saga it shouldn't have lost from Prisoner of Azkaban and that will go better every chapter since this one. Still at the bottom after Goblet anyway.
Rated 31 Jul 2011
By this stage they've stopped trying to make a decent film in the franchise and are just churning them out to a moderate standard.
Rated 13 Jul 2011
If you only watch 2 Harry Potter films, go with this one and HP7.2. They are the most focused and the most entertaining. With four Harry Potter films behind him, Radcliffe suddenly turned into a respectable actor. Good timing, too, with this installment being all about him and his plight. It's by far the best of the Harry Potter films up until the point it got released. The battle at the end is a series highlight. Also, Imelda Staunton and Evanna Lynch are perfectly evil and weird, respectively.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
The best HP movie so far.
Rated 21 May 2012
While the pacing and storytelling is divise on this one, it is still my favorite installment in the series (both book and film) because of it's use of the fact that cruelty transcends the dark and light side of a conflict, exemplified by the character of Umbridge. Also, I really did enjoy the climactic fight. Peter Jackson talked about how wizards often come off as goofy on film, but this final duel manages to show both magic behemoths as both skilled and vulnerable. Plus it looks damn good.
Rated 06 Aug 2007
You can see that the book was written as a movie script, not a novel. Especially the fight scene at the end works in the movie, not in the book. Extra 10 points for the oh-so-romantic kissing scene!
Rated 16 Feb 2008
Finally, wizards actually doing something. Anything... Perhaps only so enjoyable compared to my unchecked hatred of the last movie, but a good time was had nonetheless.
Rated 23 Oct 2008
i am just biased to harry potter. i'm in love with daniel radcliff
Rated 29 Aug 2008
The direction and camera work is the darkest of the saga so far and Daniel Radcliffe has finally shown that he has some acting chops. And while John Williams laid the ground work for the soundtrack of the series, Nicholas Hooper has carried on quite adequately with a score that flawlessly matches quirky characters.
Rated 20 Jan 2012
By no means one of the better HP movies, but it isn’t near as bad as some led some to believe. If anything, the story benefited from taking things out. The book is way too long. I could have used more Occlumency with Snape, and seeing the teachers’ treatment and reactions in the book was so priceless I’m surprised most of that wasn’t in this. Finale was fine, just not as cool as the book. Overall, it’s not a half-bad adaptation, and it’s a well made and acted movie. Good, not great.
Rated 20 May 2009
Disregarding a spare subplot or two that could have been excised without any damage -- the scenes with Hagrid's younger giant brother come to mind -- this is, to date, the series' reigning achievement from which the proceeding two chapters now must be judged next to.
Rated 30 Jun 2009
The best Harry Potter movie to appeal to teenagers. It is darker than the rest and focuses more on Harry's inner conflicts.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
Best of the series so far.
Rated 14 Jul 2010
Order of the Phoenix is second only to the Prisoner of Azkaban among the Harry Potter movies. It takes what I consider the worst book of the series and exercises some discipline on the source material. There was a lot of fat in the book, subplots that weren't necessarily useful, that Yates cut out in favor of the main story. It works and Order of the Phoenix is a solidly entertaining movie.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Well-done, with pretty good acting and some phenomenal special effects. I actually saw this in IMAX, which had the last 15 minutes or so (basically, the big fight scene) in 3D. I liked better than 'Prisoner of Azkaban' and 'Chamber of Secrets', but not as much as the first film.
Rated 04 Oct 2009
The best of the Harry Potter films.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
The best one yet.
Rated 26 Jul 2015
Rated 13 Dec 2010
I know it's just me, but I prefer this slightly to 'Prisoner' due to the delightful nastyness of Imelda Staunton. The writing on the hand bit? Yeesh. Also nice to see the series continue it's game of Pokemon with every British actor.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Good like all the HP films. Not great, like all the HP films.
Rated 17 Apr 2010
The special effects are great as always, even more so combined with the film's murky-blue pallet, and the actors step up their game for a number of emotional scenes. The biggest problem is there's so much plot crammed into 140 minutes that everything feels a tad rushed and moments that could be great act as simple stepping stones to the next plot point.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
It totally captured the tone of the book, which is my favorite of the series, this made me happy. Luna Lovegood was PERFECT AND Imelda Stanton was so heinous, she was perfect too. It's too bad they can't make these movies miniseries though... anyway...it was great and dark and entertaining, but Azkaban is still probably the best film of the series.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
It's not easy to take the longest Harry Potter book and streamline it into the shortest Harry Potter movie, but director David Yates does a bang up job of it, creating an Order of the Phoenix that's entertaining and action-packed.
Rated 17 Jul 2007
Unfortunatly, the weakest in the series since CoS. Missing so much what makes the movies magical, nevertheless, the acting is top notch this time around.
Rated 23 Oct 2015
Rated 24 Feb 2020
i watched this at summer camp and when cornelius fudge says "he's back" at the end, someone shouted "WHAT A DING A LING" and it was the best part of the movie.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Possibly the best of the movies so far, in direction. However, it skips through everything very quickly and is almost unsatisfying in that regard.
Rated 04 Dec 2009
do not watch, not even drunk!
Rated 09 Aug 2011
Initially turned off 2 the series by the soporific 1st film, my admiration 4 the last has made me go back & c what I've missed. Judging by this, a lot. It's already matured in2 something much darker w/ subtext a plenty & wonderfully despicable villains (the adorably prim fascist headmaster is an original) when they're not outright psychotic (Bellatrix's bilious cry of "Mud-Blood!" packs more hate than a Klan rally). Like the final film, the climax delivers all the thrills the build up promises
Rated 11 Oct 2014
It's a film about Harry Potter and his friends.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
This movie is great. Dolores Umbridge is the most unpleasant character ever played. You will hate her from the first minute to the last, and this means that the actress did a stunning performance. The last stand between Dumbledoor and Lord Voldemort is super cool. Minor flaws in the script and some lacks in the description of the importance of OWL for the young wizards (read the books) don't change the fact that this movie is awesome. Thank you actors, staff, directors and Rowling. Thank you.
Rated 30 Jan 2008
null
Rated 19 Jul 2007
One of the best. The Potter universe gets political (and super angsty). Umbridge and Luna Lovegood are brilliant additions.
Rated 10 Apr 2023
Imelda Staunton saves this one.
Rated 17 Jan 2008
Fast paced, shorter potter movie which keeps you puzzled at times if you have't read the book.
Rated 22 Oct 2012
The magic came back in spades. So much better than Goblet of Fire and good set up for the final movies.
Rated 15 Feb 2013
Jolly good fun, guv-noh!
Rated 17 Nov 2018
The Order of the Phoenix is one of my favorite movies in the series. This movie introduces Dolores Umbridge, who I find more contemptible than Lord Voldemort himself. This movie also introduces Luna Lovegood who's character was a good addition to the tight cast of young characters that had grown stale over the last four movies. Helena Bonham Carter shows up for the first time in this movie and kills her cousin Sirius Black. This movie was packed with action and a great story.
Rated 01 Nov 2009
Buena en su genero
Rated 23 Aug 2015
I've never loved hating a character so much. Umbridge played to perfection by Staunton
Rated 14 Jul 2007
With its excellent special effects and outstanding performances (as always) by all but the main trio (especially newcomers Bonham Carter, Staunton, and Lynch), the film is fun to watch, but the viewer should not be fooled into thinking that this film in any way represents the mood or plot of the book.
Rated 04 Jul 2011
A good mix of dark and light here; Bellatrix and the fight at the end are well done, and Tonks and the Weasley rebellion are quite amusing. Good performances as usual, and Imelda Staunton is downright creepy as Dolores Umbridge.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
Well done. Dark and a bit more forbodeing than the last couple which was good. We saw this in Imax which added a pretty good gimmic 3d segment. Entertaining.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
If you haven't read the book, you may not enjoy this one so much, since the storytelling is so rushed that they don't get much time to explain all of the plot points.
Rated 18 Dec 2011
Probably my least favourite of the series. Very short but had an interesting direction that it was heading in. Still great.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
It's not easy to take the longest Harry Potter book and streamline it into the shortest HP movie, but director David Yates does a bang up job of it, creating an Order of the Phoenix that's entertaining and action-packed.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
HUAC with wizards.
Rated 24 Sep 2010
The most boring book of the series ends up being perhaps the most exciting movie of the series. Thank you David Yates, for condensing all the more over-written moments of the book into entertaining cinema.
Rated 28 Oct 2011
The only one of the the first 6 films that I like more than its book counter part. I can't really say that about the 7th either because I was mentally past reading the series by that point and just powered through it for the ending and didn't pay close attention. While not the most successful of the films overall, the best book to film adaption.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
It's a good entertaining movie and the general story is well told, but it's missing a lot from the books and doesn't have the flair of the last 2 movies.
Rated 30 Oct 2007
One of the best Harry Potter films out there so far!
Rated 30 Mar 2021
Good
Rated 05 Mar 2015
Truthfully, my favorite of the book stories, and it is adapted fairly well. I love Gary Oldman yet again and Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort is brilliance I would never have considered. The darkest of the movies definitely and that is smart. Yates was a very good directorial choice as well, almost as good as Cuaron. Back to Azkaban quality.
Rated 29 Mar 2008
By far the best HP movie yet, it's still lacking in terms of being a good film, mostly due to the acting, but David Yates did a brilliant job directing what he did have to work with, and I very much look forward to his work on the sixth book.
Rated 25 Jul 2008
Love this and it is a good book too!
Rated 17 Apr 2010
Overwhelmingly weird, over the top in darkness, heavy on hormones, that's all I can remember of this.
Rated 07 Aug 2008
totally different
Rated 13 Nov 2018
jij
Rated 11 Jul 2009
Nice camerawork and style troughout whole the movie. The story is , as always with Harry Potter , interesting and nice to follow. I like it that the Potter films are dark and scary at times. The level of the movies is rising after the years.
Rated 09 Nov 2015
David Yates takes over for good, and this, the fifth Harry Potter film, is a very good one indeed. I feel it is a little underrated; I seem to have developed a soft spot for this one. We get Bellatrix. We get Luna. We get the fuckin' badass Order. We get Dumbledore's Army. We get Cho. And that fuckin' bitch Umbridge. Easily one of the coolest, most bad-ass films of the franchise. The action is grand and gets all the better when paired with clever humour and romantic elements.
Rated 05 Apr 2011
Great. All of the things I said for the previous two apply.
Rated 17 Apr 2023
audiovisual 73 acting 75 overall feeling 71 avg 73
Rated 03 Jan 2011
now im a huge harry potter fan, and when this one came out i could not wait to watch it. now i have been a bit dissapointed with the other movies where they didnt follow the stories exact,but this one was probably the best one to follow the book. with great casting.