2001
Family/Kids
Fantasy
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. (imdb)

2001
Family/Kids
Fantasy

Rated 25 May 2018
The robust source material deserves better than the mechanical, workmanlike effort on display here - Chris Columbus was so focused on literal magic that he forgot about the cinematic kind. Fortunately, like the books, the movies only get better from here.
Rated 24 Mar 2014
If the genre is kids/family there's a good chance I didn't pick it. Right before Harry's big Quidditch debut he gets a wrapped present that's long and narrow with a wide end. One of his friends blurts out, "What is it?" to which I said aloud, "It's a broom, you stupid, stupid child." That was before I had a kid, mind you. If I watched it today, I'd definitely drop one of the stupids.
Rated 31 Dec 2021
I would've stopped here had I not known how dark and smart the later ones turn out. This one is too childlike for me--with Willa Wonka kid acting and Harry's annoying Oliver! upbringing. Rowling obviously loves Tolkien as her worldbuilding sometimes makes the picture a droning travelogue for make-believe places. And Quidditch looks as silly as the made-up sport BASEKEtball. Still, it deserves respect for showing YA as viable cinematic work; although it'd hit harder if made nowadays.
Rated 29 Apr 2012
I love the asshole ending of Dumbledore giving stupid last minute arbitrary points. "Lol fuck y'all I do what I want"
Rated 28 Aug 2010
The Harry Potter movie phenomenon has swept all across the nation, and this is the film that started it all. Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, and Daniel Radcliff look absolutely adorable in their long school robes and wizarding hats. This trio fills their roles of naïve first-years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry perfectly. Not only do they prevent the most powerful dark wizard of all time from stealing the Sorcerer's Stone, but they make you fall in love with them too!
Rated 04 Nov 2009
Is much better without Potter
Columbus and company bring the Harry Potter world to life in competent fashion, with only a few small quibbles. The CGI is mostly astounding, but it does get annoyingly obvious at times. And John Williams must have gotten lazy; his score seems composed entirely of bits cribbed from Star Wars that are tweaked ever so slightly. Otherwise, well done, particularly in the astonishingly appropriate casting.
Rated 22 Mar 2011
Very uninspired and cliche-ridden directing. The later HP films exceed this one by far.
Rated 11 Aug 2011
Chris Columbus' fantastical adaptation of the beloved children's book lacks the focus, pacing, characterization and storytelling of a feature film.
This adaptation suffers from sticking too closely to the book, not taking enough risks in order to make something more interesting. Then again, the plot of the first book, beyond Harry coming to Hogwarts, wasn't that great anyway. The main characters are well cast, fortunately. The movie, however, is strictly average.
Rated 20 Jan 2012
Overall, a pretty compelling start to what I remember being a pretty compelling series. Some of the effects have aged quite poorly, and I hate the quite frankly offensive designs for the bankers. Some of the child actors seem a little hesitant about some of their lines, but overall, the acting ranges from good to great and everyone was cast very well. The production is generally solid, and the look and feel of the book is definitely there. Loved Williams’ score as well. Good movie.
Rated 15 Jan 2013
Much like Tolkien's Middle Earth, I found myself transported to a magical world. A world where nothing happens and takes forever for it to not happen.
Rated 10 Jul 2022
Rewatch. Still filled with childish wonder. The 2+ hours runtime isn't that bad except during the quidditch segment (which ruined my imagination from the books). I could watch a whole movie about the daily boarding school life and attending classes, but from what I can remember from the rest of the movie series, we don't really get a chance to do that due to constant existential threats. Fav scene: acceptance letters flying in through the mail slots and flooding the Dursleys' home.
Rated 09 Jul 2011
---Inner critic review--- Although the child actors annoy me constantly, and the childish plot annoys me occasionally, at least Rickman, Coltrane, and John Williams can shine through. ---Inner child review--- The special effects were awesome, especially the Quidditch game! But I can't believe how many great parts of the book they left out! What about Peeves???
Rated 22 Mar 2007
I've never really enjoyed any of these films, but undoubtedly this first attempt was definitely a poor one. The film feels roughly cobbled together with distracting acting from the annoying leads and surprisingly patchy special effects for a film based around the spectacle of magic.
The kid actors aren't too bad, the adult casting (particularly Alan Rickman) is great, and the art direction of the world captures the tone of the book fairly well, although it's disappointingly conservatively shot with very little style or flair and 20 minutes longer than it needs to be. It's a decent launching point for the series if nothing else, and John Williams' theme song is excellent.
Rated 04 Sep 2018
This introduction to the magical world is absolutely brilliant. The acting is great from everyone, but there is only so much child actors can do. Other than being cheesy, I absolutely love Chris Columbus' first take on the world of Harry Potter. I still can't get over Daniel Radcliffe's weird blink.
Rated 25 Feb 2010
I can't bring myself to get too emotionally invested in this series (mainly because I don't read shitty children's literature), but speaking as an outsider, I thought this was dull, silly, and forgettable. Take that, kids.
Rated 12 Oct 2009
Seeing how the series have blossomed over the years, its almost unbelievable how bland the first one was, and it wasn't helped by the fact, that it came out almost simultaneous with The Fellowship of the Ring.
Rated 29 Aug 2012
Yes, it's cheesy, and the child acting is .. childish, but it has its moments, especially the mirror scene at the end.
Rated 24 Apr 2007
Judge Holden, always showing the kids who's boss.
Rated 19 Jan 2013
You should really ask its demographic for an opinion on this one.
Rated 29 Dec 2007
Made for the one reason of msking cash and has no artistic features what so ever. Something to put on so the kids will shut up though.
Rated 29 Mar 2021
Good
Rated 05 Mar 2015
A movie so okay that it isn't even worth mentioning with the rest of the series anymore. While it has its amazing cast, it feels really uninspired and incredibly phoned in by the writers and directors. I get that it is world-building but even that can still be a lot of fun. Compared to the rest of the series, almost not worth the time.
Rated 26 Aug 2015
The first film in the Harry Potter series based on the novels by J.K Rowling An ordinary 11 yearoldboy serving as a sort of slave for his aunt and uncle who learns that he is actually a wizard and has been invited to attend the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry Harry is snatched away from his mundane existence by Hagrid Harry makes friends easily at his new school. He finds wizarding world is far more dangerous for him, and he quickly learns that not all wizards are ones to be trusted
Rated 03 Mar 2023
If this wasn't an adaptation of HP it wouldn't be worthy of a franchise, judging from this. It's a good kid-friendly fantasy film that tackles some hefty stuff (abusive family much?). The friendship between the kids is obviously a selling point, but Hagrid is the real heart here. The effects are horrible, which makes this feel a little corny at times. Action is whatever. Some laughs. But hey, for someone who is marathoning the franchise, this is enough to keep me excited for what's to come.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
This movie is good enough. It's a fun ride while it lasts and stays true to the book, so fans will surely appreciate it.
Rated 08 Feb 2016
I remember watching this as a child, and I loved every moment. Watching it now, the child actors and their abilities really impact the film in a harmful way. The CGI and special effects are atrocious, especially considering that Fellowship of the Ring came out the same year. One positive thing I will say about this entry and the series as a whole is that they are incredibly charming pictures. Sorcerer's Stone is a formulaic entry that builds its characters well in an ever improving franchise.
Rated 17 Aug 2015
A faithful adaptation of the book, which is the best thing you can say about the film. It's forgettable, even though the whole film is perfectly cast (Rickman, in particular, is great), and there is something neat in watching the book come to life on the screen. The visual effects have aged poorly. I also don't think there's a reason for the film to be 2 1/2 hours.
Rated 13 May 2020
This is such a sweet film
Rated 01 Nov 2021
Very relatable characters. Epic world-building! Every object and event is so interesting and so worth reading about. over and over.
An overly-faithful and slightly plodding adaptation that still manages to be enjoyable.
Rated 17 Apr 2021
It's a good childrens movie but it has overstayed it's welcome in popculture and thus it has become a rather boring story by now.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
Not a bad adaptation. A little kiddy, but it works.
Rated 15 Mar 2012
The best Harry Potter film I've seen yet (I've only seen 3 total to this point), but the kids' attempts at acting in front of a green screen for the quidditch game were just painful. Worse than Jaws IV painful.
Cute at first viewing, but doesn't really hold up. There's a bunch of lagging parts. At least the kids are well-cast, and the adults even moreso.
Rated 07 Nov 2020
did you know that if you look really closely, this series is actually a tragedy? yeah, first they blew having the perfect actors and then we all learned more about Rowling
Rated 08 May 2018
Top badass moment? Becoming the last person in the Universe to watch a Harry Potter movie. It starts with a bloke dressed as Gandalf randomly vandalising street lighting and an example of where cuts to childcare budgets leads to. The rest is Star Wars on brooms and a documentary about public schools and Oxford High Street, presented by a specky geek and his mates, who I'm pretty sure used to be in 70's kids' programme Double Deckers. 2 cats, 1 (reversible) decapitation and no chainsaws.
Rated 23 Aug 2013
Its not the fucking sorcerers stone, americans
Rated 29 Jul 2011
Entertaining kids movie, but very little to appeal to adults. Suffers from an overdose of precocious child actors not acting very well, but balances it out with marvellous turns by Coltrane and Rickman amongst others.
Rated 19 Nov 2020
This movie was so good
Rated 11 Oct 2020
Recommended watch for people aged 8-19.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Good adventure film.
Rated 23 Jan 2012
This is a fun start to the film series. There are plenty of good casting decisions. Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith and Robbie Coltrane are all outstanding in their respective roles. There are numerous fun scenes and the young cast have good chemistry with each other.
Rated 13 Mar 2008
Cheesy, simplistic, and just pretty boring. I'll never understand adults' love for this franchise.
Rated 02 May 2022
Having read none of the books, i can't compare shit to anything. I can however tell you that i think this movie is a soulless, by-the-numbers, phony looking piece of garbage. Whatever magic the source material may hold, none of it made it to the screen.
Rated 11 Dec 2008
good movie
Rated 16 Oct 2020
Certainly memorable.
Rated 05 May 2010
I like teh music
Rated 12 Feb 2014
The first instalment of the Potter saga is the most child-friendly and easily one of the weakest. It sets up its story well but grows significantly less interesting as it progresses towards its completely underwhelming finale. Coltrane and Rickman stand out but the young Radcliffe gives the very blandest of leading performances.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Great adaptation of the hit book. The kids are especially well-cast.
Rated 02 Jan 2021
For the first film they did a excellent job of capturing and introducing us to this magical fantasy world. More a go-along-and-explore the world type scenario than a deeper storytelling. And for my taste, knowing I'm about to watch 20-hours of Potter, that was the right way to go with the first entry. Certainly eased to fear of doing all the movies in just a few days.
Rated 24 Nov 2010
When you know the story movie is built on it is interesting to see what the director will make of it. This time it is simple retelling. Furthermore book was full of details and background that explained somewhat naive ideas and made it interesting to read. Strangely most of the ideas survived in the movie without the background. One can guess that they pretty much missed the magic. At least acting was good with Rickman shining as Snape. Overall: too weak to stand on its own; to be continued.
Rated 15 May 2007
The WHAT stone? Bloody Americans. Not totally awful like I thought, but they are still KIDS books, you wierdos. Edit. Not the worst film ever but its a bit limp. The kids are trying hard but I swear Rupert Grint has about 4 expressions in this film. And grow a goddamn spine please.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
Is this the first one? If so, I didn't like this one bit. Harry Potter and "The Matrix" remain two cultural touchstones of my generation that I just do not understand at all. I was begging for this to be over after the first half an hour.
Rated 01 Apr 2009
meh.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
Being so faithful to the book is both the movie's strength and weakness. The movie unfolds exactly as written in the book, so there is little room for surprises or discoveries. For Potter fans, what more can you ask for?
Rated 18 Sep 2009
An above average kid's film, entertaining and doesn't force anything.
Rated 31 Mar 2010
they looked so young back then....i feel like the movies get better as they move along
Rated 18 Jul 2007
child movie
Rated 24 Jul 2008
Haven't read the books, but now I won't need to! I hated this thing. Goes to show you fans can't tell apart a book's good visual aid from a bad movie
Rated 19 Sep 2012
I give all Harry Potters movies a 50.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Pure nostalgia
Rated 23 Feb 2007
Probably my favorite of the Potter movies.
Rated 12 Feb 2015
beni harry e aşık eden film...
Bad pick for Harry. The movies get better along the series, making this one kind of bad.
Rated 07 Apr 2012
Criticker is idiotic for not listing this under the original title.
Really good adaption of the book, just lacking in style.
eh...
Rated 13 May 2008
Was not that good, it was Harry Potter but they changed to much.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Loved it. harry rocks
Rated 30 Apr 2020
A clunky introduction to a wonderful book and series. An excellent cast can't save this wonderful story from Chris Columbus' heavy hand of saccharine and disappointing effects.
Harry Potter = favorite books of all time. However I think they could have picked a better director for the first two movies...
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Again, you don't have to be a Potter book fan to appreciate the sheer entertainment value of the Potter films. One of a relatively few films that easily entertain both children and adults on an equal level.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
"Alas, Earwax." And that's all that I have to say about that.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
Why did people like the Harry Potter Movies so much... didn't the British accent of those British snobs piss you off... it sure pissed me off
Loved this movie
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Transports the feeling of the book.
Way better than I was expecting. It made me a fan of the Harry Potter movies (if not the book). This is a well-crafted whimsical tale of magic, intrigue, and cheer....although it never crosses the threshold to greatness.
Rated 21 May 2016
I'm being super harsh here because it didn't get as much budget as the rest. But I still really enjoyed it.
Rated 11 Nov 2018
The first movie in the series is one of my favorites. It is innocent and fun. It doesn't get too dark. Chris Columbus did a good job with this one. The soundtrack is great too. I like to see Warwick Davis getting work. The rest of the casting is perfect in every way. So many fantastic actors were used and lost during and after the filming of this movie. I've seen this move at least ten time and I'll probably watch it another ten or more times.
Rated 07 Aug 2018
Snore.
Rated 31 Aug 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVhmZodaLA ...Extra points going out because of that
Rated 18 Jun 2007
Makes me want to become a wizard. Sure, the special effects are a bit lacking in areas, but overall the movie pulled me into its story.
Rated 24 Dec 2006
Watched it 20 years later at the behest of my daughter. I still strongly dislike Harry Potter; I don't like the hint of "exceptionalism" in it, the glorification of board school (which I always found a cruel type of education), the randomness of all magic, the utter lack of student security in Hogwarts (it wouldn't survive a day as a school in Mundane world)...It is just not good, but then you watch it with a kid and you understand what might be the appeal and I leave it at that.
Rated 18 Jan 2010
I guess it's a great movie for kids. I'm gonna watch the other parts, too, I suppose.. damn you urge to finish what I've started..! Minus points for annoying children (they're not all annoying but too many for a film filled with kids), length and for CGI looking weird at some points.
Rated 22 Oct 2010
Never read the books, found them puerile. This worked fine as entertainment. The others were better.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
While capturing some of the magic of the book, the reality of the fact the story is about eleven year old children is much more apparent when you're exposed visually to their mannerisms and voices.
Rated 06 Nov 2009
BUena
Harry Potter is a treat for the eyes, with a depth in imagery so complete that it almost commands another viewing just so catch all of the details you may have missed the first time around.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Gosh I forget how cheesy it was at the start
Heinous acting and adapting make this abysmal film hard to get though, thogh the supporting cast is quite helpful.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
Fun movie, and a good start to the series.
Rated 04 Oct 2009
I'm a big proponent of the Harry Potter books, and was somewhat excited for the prospect of movies based on the series. The first movie, however, didn't really live up to expectations. The pacing was poor, and a lot of what had I had envisioned in my head didn't really appear on the screen. A few good things though - the casting was perfect, the special effects excellent at the time, and it was still a fun movie to watch with the family.
Rated 29 Dec 2018
This muggle only briefly caught this in passing at the time - twenty years later it holds up great. Even the effects pass muster in high def. I don't get the distaste for it. Just a fine family film and taken on its own terms - and certainly compared to non-LotR millennial fantasy films (or really of any era) - it does nearly everything right and is fun from start to finish.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
A pretty straight-forward telling of Harry's first adventure. There's not a lot of depth, but it establishes the necessary back-story and environment.
Pretty good.
Rated 18 Mar 2024
I admire its realization (and smart shortening) of the book, although I don't think it ever reaches the heights of its source material. It is weighed down by having to follow mostly child actors but at least they're surrounded by mostly fantastic adults. Everything practical - the sets! - seems like it came right off the page but, wow, the computer graphics looked terrible back in 2001. No matter how fun, I can't go higher than a 60/100 with all of these warts.