2002
Romance
The time: two thousand years ago. The place: the violent dawn of the Qin dynasty. The story: the soon-to-be First Emperor of China is on the brink of conquering a war-torn land. Three opponents are determined to assassinate him and one loyal subject stands in their way. (Miramax)

2002
Romance

Looks absolutely fantastic (even better than Crouching Tiger), and has an interesting narrative structure and matching color scheme. But the story seems fairly artificial and not all that interesting.
A stunningly beautiful movie with an interesting plot. The color schemes really sold this one for me.
Rated 18 Jan 2008
It tries to be something epic and poetic, but really it's just artificial and silly. Occasionally it achieves a moment of visual brilliance, but that's the only compliment I've got for it (and I think it's mostly overrated in that department anyway). The story is boring, and its structure is pretty horrible. As it goes on it tries to reveal that the characters have more emotional motivation than you first realized, but still I couldn't care less.
My favorite of the recent string of overly lushly filmed Chinese martial arts super-epics. The story is deceptively shallow, but here's the thing: it's absolutely gorgeous. The use of color, the art direction, the epic sets, the flowing kinetic motion in the fight and action scenes, holy fucking wow does it look amazing. It also doesn't hurt that the fight scenes rock my cock.
Rated 28 May 2008
Modern visual poetry. If you can appreciate good choreography in a martial arts movie, and a Kurosawa inspired story, this one is recommended.
Hero is one of those movies that was way too short. I was expecting a three-hour epic from what I heard about the movie's plot. I didn't think the Rashomon-rip style of story-telling was done effectively, and although I enjoyed the way they defined a true hero (basically mocking off American film's version of one), it was anti-climactic. But beautiful fight scenes keep the score up.
Rated 10 Jan 2009
So beautiful and illustrious it's almost impossible to breathe through.
Disappointing. I had high hopes -- a wuxia movie directed by Zhang Yimou with a great cast. There were scenes of exquisite beauty (especially in the color palettes), and a couple of good fight scenes, but on the whole it was all rather boring. Oh well.
Rated 30 Jan 2007
Hero is elegant and full of great action. The story is great, and the whole movie is quite breathtaking. Really good!
Rated 17 Feb 2007
The main selling point here is of course the imagery. It's absolutely beautiful. The story isn't the best, but it didn't ruin the experience for me, and neither did the acting. It got tedious in parts, though.
Rated 19 Dec 2009
Starts off with silly hats, people flying around fighting, but then it shows there is actually a story and maybe even a moral in the whole thing.
Rated 01 Jun 2009
Great kung-fu. Terrible ending. But that was the point. Don't agree with the philosophy.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Visually stunning film but I'm simply tired of such much over the top wire-fu.
Rated 13 Apr 2019
An exquisitely filmed and designed epic with a coldly mechanical plot grinding away; the superb technical elements, including a striking and inventive use of colour to distinguish the competing narratives, make you wish Yimou could tell this story with a little more genuine passion; stoic performances by most of the cast, save Cheung, don't help in this regard. There's still plenty to luxuriate in, including the genuinely staggering epic sweep Yimou brings to his battle scenes.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
This art-style and subject matter is a little tired and Hero does nothing to distinguish itself from the rest of the pack.
Rated 15 Jun 2012
Blows you away with the stellar imagery and awesome set pieces all captured with graceful camerawork. Great use of color.
Rated 23 Feb 2008
Arguably the greatest of the Chinese martial arts fantasy films, loosely based on actual history, very well acted & exceptionally photographed. An absolute visual revelation, & one of the best films of any kind so far this century.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
Art Direction is simply phenomenal.
Simply beautiful. The colors!
Rated 19 Jul 2011
A sumptuous movie that'll excite your eyes if not your heart.
Gorgeous, with a great story that unfolds in layers. Plus, some amazing fantasy martial arts sequences. Donnie Yen vs Jet Li is a rare treat.
Rated 05 May 2011
A spectacular and extravagantly ridiculous martial arts epic, "Ying xiong" is one of the most visually stimulating and over-the-top films ever made. The fighting scenes are even more handsome than those in "Wo hu cang long" and emotional resonance is achieved thanks to some very fine acting. The conventional story is unconventionally told, using multiple layers. Zhang's direction is remarkable. When it comes to pure spectacle, few films can compete this in terms of sheer visceral glee.
Rated 23 Aug 2009
I love how this movie manages to build itself around a simple but profound concept. Visually about as entertaining as it gets, the soundtrack is great, and the story is surprisingly good.
Rated 29 Jul 2012
A visually stunning film with excellent performances from the cast and a compelling story.
Excellent choreography and story, but I felt like I was simply watching a tribute to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with a new plot and characters.
Very good action film that tends to fill the gaps between action sequences with interesting scenes.
Absolutely amazing camera! Wow
Rated 19 Jan 2010
It's interesting if you look at it as a communist propaganda epic. Not much else happening besides a lot of billowing curtains.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
Zhang takes the flawed narrative and creates a grandiose dramatic story of recruiting warriors to assassinate the first emperor of China. Everything about this is supposed to represent a dream like mythical story of the past rather than a portrayal of reality. Zhang probably received inspiration from traditional scroll art to weave a living and breathing painting with his mastery over visual effects and color. Quite simply a beautiful and interesting story.
Rated 25 Oct 2021
O kadar saçmalık, propaganda ve gereksiz şiirsellik dolu ki film bitince omzumda buzdolabı taşımış gibi hissettim. verilen puanları zaten tam anlayamadım.
Lots of flash, no substance.
I'll admit it, in the midst of all the flashbacks/pseudo flashbacks, I was getting confused. But when the movie finally got through all of it, and I had a firm grasp on what was going on, I found a good movie. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a good experience nevertheless.
This is THE WAY greatest movies of all times are made. Biggest and the most expensive Chinesse film ever. And if it was hollywood's most exensive it would be definatelly crap. Great story, fabulous acting, scenography fascinating, directing perfect. bravo! Touching and beautiful, extremelly beautiful. Way to go China!
Rated 06 May 2008
I don't usually have a thing for Kung-Fu movies but something about this movie appealed to me. The story is very moving and complex. The visuals are all mind blowing. I look forward to more Kung-Fu movies of this kind over the usual beat-em-up style.
Rated 07 Mar 2011
I found this to be an incredibly beautiful film.The use of color not only adds a distinctive flair but it is also part of the story.The frequent fight scenes while not realistic have a very fluid and graceful look to them and are well choreographed.The icing on the cake for me was the well done and layered story that kept me engaged and thinking by the end about the subtle ways we twist the truth and use events and people to further are own ends.
The problem with hero, is that it tries to force-feed its view on the beuty of battle to the crowd. One becomes weery pretty quickly from the close-ups one leafs during swordfights.
Rated 06 May 2013
One of the most stunning and beautiful films I've ever seen. Even after I watched it repeatedly over some years it doesn't loose its magic. And I don't even mention the awesome people-fighting-in-mid-air-jumping-ridiculously-far-and-high-Hong-Kong-movie-style. It's the way the scenese are shot, the story is told and the costumes are chosen. Add Hong Kong's top actors at that time and you have 1,5 hours of pure pleasure.
Rated 04 Dec 2011
Hero is (often) breathtakingly beautiful, and worthy viewing just for that. The story, however, feels empty and strangely artificial, with its Rashomon-like structure never quite working, the different perspectives it offers later dismissed as weightless fantasies. It could be a comment on how time shapes legends and myths, leaving us with only a shadow of the truth, but it's ultimately a disservice to the characters who are never fleshed out enough for us to grasp the gravity of their decisions
null
Rated 27 Jan 2013
A masterpiece. Brilliant and beautiful. Visually stunning. Emotionally powerful. Action packed. Excellently choreographed. An epic retelling of a legendary piece of Chinese culture and history.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
Beautiful visuals - just flies you through some of the most amazing scenes ever seen.
Rated 01 Jul 2010
Visual poetry. Gorgeous cinematography and framing of scenes. Good Music. Good acting (esp the younger actress). But some actors were a bit dramatic at places. In a few scenes I was smiling, when I was not supposed to. Too much flying via invisible ropes that it was ridiculous at times. The entire film is a bit too long for my taste. But a worthy effort that I guess can be enjoyed better on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Rated 24 Sep 2008
Like a beautiful woman with no conversation and an annoying laugh. This is a lovingly made picture that feels slow and wooden.
Rated 24 Dec 2006
Stunningly gorgeous.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
It's like a hollywoodized crouching tiger, hidden dragon. Which is kind of funny, if you think about it.
Rated 16 Sep 2008
Smuk - intet andet
Rated 26 Feb 2007
One of the great foreign films. Not too overly popularized like Crouching Tiger, yet not so underground that you don't hear about it. The story line is compelling, the use of colors to represent differing storyline is genius, and the battles are both elegant and deadly. Also the film is done more justice by watching is with subtitles as opposed to dubbed over English.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
Although I found it to be one of the better films of the past year, considering its lofty ambitions, it's still a bit hard not to consider this a bit of a disappointment.
Rated 25 Apr 2007
Actually quite interesting and beautifully shot. Not too many surprises, but an excellent martial arts fantasy film.
Rated 28 Apr 2007
Chinese propaganda never tasted so good
Rated 12 May 2007
9+ amazing :: I found myself thinking "Wow, that was cool." several times while I watched. Seriously.
Rated 07 Apr 2008
I like how I find a new memory each time I watch this. Currently it's the desert scenes. It's a pretty film, but I think it's dead inside.
Rated 11 Sep 2011
Style over substance (there isn't any at all), but it's probably one of the most beautiful films ever created visually. Too bad it's that shallow, and too bad Jet Li was cast. Yeah, he's got flair, but no charisma, ich ruins a bit for me.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Looks pretty, so it's got that going for it
Rated 11 May 2009
So beautifull!
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Amasing scenery, however the plot feels somewhat haphazard.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
It put all its eggs in the pretty basket.
Rated 05 Aug 2007
Beautifully shot, well-acted
Rated 07 Aug 2007
Zhang Yimou's first and best wuxia martial arts film, though not his best film. Vibrant color design and a plot design lifted from Rashomon elevate it, but its political views are controversial. Interesting.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Very beautiful but boring at times
Rated 05 Jul 2010
3 color 3 story wish it was 3 hours long..
A beautiful story with great imagry
a great artistic foreight film
This film has a great story and is beautifully shot.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
3.44/5
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Ah, another dull kung-fu film, this time with a mildly interesting color theme. A few scenes save this from being a total waste: Jet Li's confrontation with Sky and the siege on the calligraphy school but they don't keep the story meshed together.
Rated 18 Jul 2010
ridiculous...
Rated 18 Oct 2011
Great visuals and a surprisingly gripping story. The wire-fu was amusing, but probably my least favourite part of the whole thing. Way better than The Usual Suspects. What?
Rated 05 Jul 2008
Beautiful film. Great choreography.
Overrated. Really pretty, but Zhang Ziyi really sucked in this for some reason. The romances were boring; I didn't care what happened.
Beautiful movie.
IMHO, Jet Li's finest moment. A truly beautiful movie in every way. From the plot, to the acting, to the amazing martial arts.. this is about as perfect as a wuxia film can get.
Rated 19 Apr 2011
[Directors Cut]
Rated 14 Jun 2008
Jet Li is the MAN!
Action, intelligence and and endingthat breaks your heart while instilling a worthy moral... Hard to do... But done well.
Rated 02 Mar 2014
Stunning choreography and cinematography.
Rated 08 Apr 2011
A sumptuous visual feast and an incredibly affecting melodrama with great performances all round, especially from Leung and Cheung as the star-crossed lovers. It's a little wishy-washy on the political front, though, its critiques of nationalist political rhetoric and 'for the greater good' mentalities undermined by every punch Zhang pulls to get the film past the censors.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Not Quite as good as CROUCHING TIGER, only because it lacks that movie's repressed love story and the action is somewhat more restrained. Otherwise, an equally beautiful film with a smashing color design.
Excellent chinese epic. Finally Jet-Li makes a really good movie. Keep trying...
Speechless...
Rated 20 Feb 2014
An excellent, misunderstood film. One of the few wuxia films that understands the non-literal value of choreography. Perhaps its only flaw is that it does not commit fully enough; I would have liked to see it be even more stylized. (For example, instead of treating one of the final fights as a more literal plot point, the stylization could have carved its message about the land into the land itself with movement.)
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Some great fighting scenes, although a little overrated.
Rated 23 Jul 2009
While featuring georgeous cinematography the movie is slow and confusing.
Gorgeous. Thats about it. The entire plot is based around continual retellings of the same story, which gets old since each new telling only offers you slightly more than the last. Seemed artificially long. Also, totally mediocre acting.
Enjoyable action/martial arts film. Doesn't reach the profound plateau the filmmakers seem to have sought, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Gorgeous, moving, enthralling, I love this movie.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
Wonderful visuals, but the story is very weak. I understand it is about the Chinese version of "hero" and I like that it mocks the typical Hollywood "hero," but when you found out people were lying about the story (which wasn't very interesting to begin with), you just kind of lost interest.
I'm not so hot on Yimou Zhang, but hey, it's better than House of Flying Daggers. Great music from Tan Dun doesn't hurt, either.
Rated 19 Nov 2010
"Hero is elliptical, radically disjointed and female-empowering. Everything a wu xia should be...and then some." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 31 Jul 2009
A lovely visual treat.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
An absolutely brilliant, beautiful movie.
Rated 14 Jun 2008
Nice
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Check out the use of colors in the settings.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Excellent Chinese flick, has great wire-fu, great art/direction, good acting and great story about an assassin in ancient China and the King who gauge each other during a telling of tales in the imperial castle.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
This is why we need HD.
Rated 10 Oct 2010
More fighting please. There were some stunning visuals, a strong cast but needed a lot more action.
Rated 10 Nov 2007
u know, that soft background music, flying fighters, millions of arrows, invinsible "heroes", well.. not all of them!
Rated 12 Nov 2007
Lovely, as his films always are.
Rated 21 Dec 2007
Quality story, not too much of that oriental over-acting and absolutely mind-blowing visually.
Rated 21 Jan 2013
One of the most beautiful action movies to ever come out. The story isn't that remarkable, but with all sorts of well planned out action sequences and stunning cinematography, "Hero" stands out from other action films.