High Rise
High-Rise

High Rise

2016
Drama, Sci-fi
Life for the residents of a tower block begins to run out of control. (imdb)
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVudu
Plex
Netflix basic with Ads
Plex Player
DistroTV

Vertical Snowpiercer: The Movie. We were having a discussion about whether Michael Fassbender and Tom Hiddleston should start remaking each other's movies just to see if anyone would notice. I think they might be able to at least switch superhero roles once. Luke Evans is a man-beast in this movie, embodying almost everything we ever came to love about 1970's Burt Reynolds.
I really enjoyed the novel and thought the trailers looked good, but the material never quite gels together here. It hurries along, never letting character moments sink in before starting another montage or having compressed dialogue hit you over the head with its message. Because the material doesn't have time to breathe, the whole thing just becomes a 'people sure act crazy!' blur without making the viewer give a damn about any of it.
It's been a long time since I got this little out of a movie. Is it supposed to be a satire on contemporary society? A display of nihilism? A dystopian future? Absurdism for the sake of absurdism? Whatever it tried to be, I sure didn't give a shit. The worst thing about it is the complete lack of pacing, making it impossible to predict the much anticipated end. Just like weather reports, cinemas should give an "apparent length", so that I can start avoiding movies that feel like 200+ minutes.
Weird and not always in a good way. Some great ideas, but it's just not good as a movie. And the whole mess makes no sense at all, some minor banal events lead to anarchy. Most of the actions of the people are based on, well, nothing. They just act. Many questions, no answers.
It's a mess,I can't recommend. Big disappointment.

25 Collections including 16 Collaborative and 9 Public