Netflix Netflix basic with Ads
Hillbilly Elegy

Hillbilly Elegy

2020

Rated 09 Dec 2020
Gorgeous production design and some striking acting moments cannot for me redeem this film's cultural ignorance and Americana Noble Savage rebrand, reduced down to pulpy schmaltz. Seems to be made by people who abhor cultural appropriation but don't realize when they're doing it themselves, a creative hypocrisy of our moment if there ever could be. Like the film's lead, my own genesis is this heritage, and I've rarely felt as misunderstood watching a movie about, you know, people.
Rated 28 Nov 2020
May be Howard's best film. Moving & rare (especially the last decision JD makes re: his mother. It won't make viewers feel-good but it's wise.) The actors are amazing and it's too bad that Woke types who insist that whites "acknowledge their white privilege" are unlikely to appreciate this. They might realize that most whites don't live inside John Hughes films or the tv series Friends. & how "privilege" is a charged & misleading attack. Privilege is a special perk, not the absence of a problem.
Rated 09 Mar 2021
I especially liked the part where Ron Howard shot middle America in the same way I imagine Ron Howard might shoot Pakistan or Vietnam. i.e. "People taking their hats off as a funeral procession goes by is so folksy, right? What a strange and wondrous people those uncultured men and women of Appalachia are." But a stuffy lawyer talking about them in the same way that the camera shoots them is bad, I guess? Also, for a biographical film it has a lot of made up bullshit.
Rated 30 Dec 2020
The scene where Amy Adams is sobbing hysterically while frantically fishing her hands in a motel toilet kind of sums the whole thing up.
Rated 28 Dec 2020
I feel the reception to this is unfair. The story is a lot more flattering to "hillbillies" than what typical convention tends to be and is far more tame than how they can act in reality. Still, this is a solid story - JD's relation to his mother who's a mentally unstable lunatic is engaging in that it begs the question "to what extant can we continue loving someone?" The editing between past and present makes this dynamic more engaging, elevated by performances from Adams and Close.
Rated 11 Dec 2020
Glen Close and Amy Adams. What??? What?? You want more you fucks? That's the best you can get. Awesome drama, full of amazing acting experience, some hard time little situations. But all in all, an american movie that maybe showed the flag once or twice and made it through with quality in the middle.
Rated 26 Nov 2020
I appreciated aa's and gc's performances, and I don't know how much the script differs from the memoir, but the combination of writing and generic sentimental music made this come off as too hokey and caricaturized to take seriously. also, there are weird parallels b/w this and uncle frank which also just came out
Rated 29 Jan 2022
A story about the lamest twelve year old ever and his slightly more interesting family that grinds to a halt every time it flashes back to the present. Feels shallow and restrained at ever turn, like the story and characters have been sanitized. There's way better stories about "Appalachian values and the American dream" out there.
Rated 26 Nov 2020
I enjoyed the mood and the style of the film. It was acted really well and did not bore me. Did not realise it was a true story until the very end.
Rated 30 Nov 2020
Good movie but GREAT performances by Glenn Close and Amy Adams.
Rated 04 Dec 2020
I wish it could've put me to sleep, because then I would've gotten some sleep.
Rated 04 Dec 2020
I'm suspicious of how stylized and cinematic this movie is, though I still enjoyed it. The narrative moves feel way too clean and traditionally satisfying. Plus I've heard from readers of the book that the movie is highly bowdlerized and that some of the conservative, reactionary politics in the book are completely absent, which is irksome especially when those politics need to be heard within this kind of working-class whites context imho. #oscarbait #oscarsgonnabesowhite
Rated 18 Apr 2021
Even separating this from the shitstain that JD Vance is this is dogshit. Pretty funny that it's taking this long for people to realize that maybe Amy Adams isn't that great of an actress. This movie will just make you hate poor people which is definitely it's purpose so mission accomplished
Rated 21 Mar 2021
Better than expected. Close is closer to an Oscar than Razzie and Adams is even better but somehow missed out on the nod.
Rated 02 Jan 2023
Bel échantillon d'humanité dans cette Amérique des oubliés. Amy Adams et Glenn Close au sommet ! Fuck les critiques injustes !
Rated 05 Apr 2021
The story was well done. The first half was not that successfully achieved. Somehow there was something missing all the way. It did not click.
Rated 20 Apr 2021
????????? - 3 ???????? - 3 ???????? - 3 ????? - 2 ????????? - 3 ????????? ???? - 4 ?????? - 3 ????????????? - 3 ?????? - 3 ???? - 2 ???? - 3 ?????????? ????? ???? - 3 ???????? ?????? - 3 ???? - 4 ?????? - 3 ??????????? - 3 ??????????? - 3
Rated 26 Jun 2021
Great acting, sad story.
Rated 05 Aug 2021
1849: not bad. nice family drama
Rated 06 Aug 2021
7???????????????????????
Rated 31 Jul 2022
Basically, a REALLY tawdry melodrama about drug addiction and white trash families. Glenn Close's characterization is outstanding--she almost makes this worth sitting through. Amy Adams goes in for some major scenery-chewing. Gabriel Basso is appealing enough...it's too bad the real J.D. Vance turned out to be batshit crazy.
Rated 27 Mar 2021
While the film definitely has that "Oscar-bait" feel, it doesn't necessarily feel like it is "Oscar-worthy". It's boring. Yes, the acting is very well-done, as is the production design. Heck, even the premise of a dramatic hillbilly setting is somewhat original - but...when I asked myself what the point was? Why did this story need to be told? I came up empty-handed.
Rated 12 Apr 2021
When JD Vance said "I'm watching Gore" I almost reached into my tv and gave him a wedgie.
Rated 15 Dec 2020
Varoş 1 aile hikayesi. Yale'de okuyan gencimiz, annesi ve büyükannesi arasındaki geçen olayları izliyoruz. Hayatımda seyrettiğim en yaygaralı film. Amy Adams ve Glenn Close şansım yok. Bir de çok uzun. Kısa süresi olsa izlenir. Bir ileri bir geri kurgu da sıkıyor. İyi tarafı ABD'nin alt sınıfın kültür seviyesi iyi anlatılmış. Filmin sonunda, anneannemiz hakkı rahmetine kavuşuyor. Hayat devam ediyor. Glenn Close sana yine mi Oscar yok? Anneeeemmm
Rated 07 Dec 2020
Amy Adams is good, but Glenn Close is the worth the price of admission. A story that will hit home to a lot more people than a lot of movies. Plenty of drama throughout, but the conclusion kind of fell flat.
Rated 30 Nov 2020
Words fail me. Just don't.
Rated 09 May 2021
Phenomenal performances by Amy Adams, Glenn Close and Owen Asztalos. I enjoy a good "based on a true story" drama and this offers a nice departure from your own family life of people bitching, wailing, fucking up and fighting - as this one has a closing note of hope.
Rated 12 Dec 2020
Glenn Close and Amy Adams are incredible, the same does not apply to the rest of the cast. The plot has some very strong characters with equally strong moments; the personal drama of the main character looked all too real, which is the strong part of the movie. Still, the direction invariably sets a redemption/heroic tone (as usual for Howard) that is annoying and exaggerated.
Rated 08 Apr 2021
Someone pointed out that the music at points sound like rejected "Pirates of the Caribbean" music and it kind of elevated this trash to so bad its hilarious. This movie is beyond trash. It elevates the genre of Oscar Bait to the 90's made for TV melodrama. Amy Adams delivers the worst performance of her career to the point I assume she's calling up Netflix asking them to delete this.
Rated 26 Mar 2021
"This might be normal in your family, but it's not right"
Rated 03 Apr 2021
Surprisingly old-fashioned portrait of addiction and familial dysfunction is full of heartfelt truths and formidable performances (Adams and Close are outstanding), though Howard's signature glossy directorial choices tend to rob the film of a more visceral, emotional impact – there's a better version of this film that really caters to the cyclical, generational societal issues (and perhaps the wider society's apathy and ignorance to them) that would make this more powerful and hard hitting.
Rated 15 Apr 2021
Kentucky97+momcrazyjunkielolanger+whengrandpadiedwholetownrespectashearsegoesby+someforcedstuff/baddeliveries/hesadumbassholesometimeslol+herdadwasworse+somesceneslikejuniorschoolPSA'slol+hisyoungactorisprettybadlol+coolhowgrandmahadtoraisehimtough/right+catchmomtrynashootup+cutestuffwithhisgf+heleftmomtosisforinterview+creditsrealfootage/happyendings