Hope and Glory (1987)
A semiautobiographical project by John Boorman about a nine year old boy called Bill as he grows up in London during the blitz of World War 2... (imdb)
Cast and Information
Directed By: John Boorman
Written By: John Boorman
Where to Stream
Hope and Glory belongs to 28 collections
1. Academy Award - Oscar - Best Picture and Nominees (public: moderated by smviper00 - 41 stars)
2. New York Times' The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made (public: moderated by theficionado - 31 stars)
3. The Guardian's 1000 films to see before you die (public: moderated by PeaceAnarchy - 29 stars)
4. Academy Award - Oscar - ALL Best Picture, Directing, Acting & Screenplay Nominees (public - 22 stars)
5. World War 2 (public: moderated by td888 - 16 stars)
6. Doubling The Canon (public - 13 stars)
7. Films available in HD (public: moderated by kubricksucks - 12 stars)
8. Epic (public - 8 stars)
9. The Bfi 100 (public: moderated by nexus - 7 stars)
10. David Thomson's 1000 Films (public: moderated by MMAlpha - 7 stars)
11. Los Angeles Film Critics Association: Best Film (public: moderated by CCLZA - 4 stars)
12. Golden Globes: Best Picture - Comedy/Musical (public: moderated by CCLZA - 4 stars)
13. They Shoot Pictures ex-Top 1,000 (public: moderated by MMAlpha - 3 stars)
14. List: Empire's 100 Best British Films (public: moderated by KasperL - 2 stars)
15. Best Original screenplay (public: moderated by Roman_Herbom - 2 stars)
16. DtC Doubling the Canon 2022 Nominees (public: moderated by lineuphere - 2 stars)
17. Sight and Sound 2002 (Single Vote) (public: moderated by PeaceAnarchy - 1 star)
18. NBR Top 10 Films (public: moderated by xacviant - 1 star)
19. Summer (public: moderated by Midaso - 1 star)
20. British director (public: moderated by iconogassed - 1 star)
21. Best by different standards (private: sesito71 - 5 stars)
22. My DVD Collection (private: balseiros)
23. HDD 151029 (private: caffe)
24. Availability: Blockbuster (private: KasperL)
25. Forrest Watch List (private: ForrestQ)
26. 90+ (private: Daria)
27. Drafts 1987 (private: caffe)
28. 0: Watchlist (private: KasperL)
Browse the full list of collections
WWII=good times. Seriously, this film is frustrating. Although well-shot and generally pleasant, the upbeat and light-hearted manner in which it treats the matter of war is sometimes even enraging. I get that this is supposed to be presented through a child's viewpoint, but still the utter lack of seriousness (even when tragic things are happening) vexes me. The horrors of worldwide combat reduced to a bunch of annoying British kids searching in the debris for loot.
Loved Ian Bannen as the cantankerous old grandfather.
Generally appealing but not too accurate reminiscences of an exciting and emotional time.
Uncle Oscar needs to explain, if he was keen to choose a war-time story informed from a child's POV in 1987, why oh why did he pick this over EMPIRE OF THE SUN, or RADIO DAYS? You have got to be kidding me.
The overacting simulates the distortions of memory but makes it a little hard to watch.
There's something about this film, both positive and negative.
|Average Percentile 62.77% from 277 Ratings|