House on Haunted Hill

House on Haunted Hill

1959
Horror

Rated 08 Oct 2020
Like a spooky haunted house game of "Clue"(1985), this delightfully campy 50's horror cheese is a fun classic watch for genre fans. While many might prefer the more genuinely spooky haunted house atmosphere of something like "The Haunting"(1963), William Castle's gimmicky thrills make this movie a lot of fun for me, and should make for a decent lark this Halloween season.
Rated 13 Mar 2013
I've seen so many horror movies that jump scares are like a giant, "Wah-waaah." And then there is the basement scene in this movie. Rivaled only by Wait Until Dark, and maybe, just maybe, any scene from Hocus Pocus featuring a Sarah Jessica Parker closeup.
Rated 05 Oct 2020
A first time watch for me It's not too bad the effects feel pretty corny though
Rated 17 Mar 2007
Hokey fun with Vincent Price, skeletons and a random pool of acid.
Rated 13 Dec 2011
Tons of fun with chills and thrills... vats of acid, floating ghosts, skeletons, severed heads, falling chandeliers. It's a grand old time. The movie has the expected camp appeal, with over-the-top characters and silly situations. It's also a pretty damn good thriller, one that doesn't feel too predictable. The script is compact and contains some delightful dialogue. Good performances too. It's hard not to get swept up in it, it's just a wickedly fun movie with some gothic stylings.
Rated 29 Jul 2014
Director William Castle was known for using weird gimmicks that broke the fourth wall in his movies. I have to commend him for "Emergo", which is the one found in "House on Haunted Hill". I realize this movie was designed to be watched in a movie theater, but it is still effective at home. The moment the plastic, glow in the dark skeleton suspended by wires appeared and floated around my living room, I started screaming like a little girl.
Rated 09 Jul 2015
Nowhere near as spooky as, say, The Haunting, but fun in its own campy way.
Rated 16 Dec 2008
This comment is in Emergo!
Rated 27 Sep 2010
Castle's best gimmick shocker. This is a thoroughly enjoyable little number with a falling chandelier, clutching hands, a ceiling that drips blood, a severed head in the closet, a skeleton in the basement, an acid vat in the wine cellar, an ugly old witch on roller skates, well -- it just goes on and on. Favorite line, Price to perfidious wife Ohmart: "Remember the fun we had when you poisoned me?"
Rated 22 Oct 2011
Magnificent atmosphere and a plot that twists and turns in interesting ways. Pretty good performances too, which isn't all that common in B-movies, though it's expected from Vincent Price.
Rated 30 Aug 2020
A fun slice of classic camp that benefits immensely from having Vincent Price in it, the characters are pretty enjoyable & the performances are fine all around. There's actually a pretty effective spooky atmosphere to the house. The third act makes absolutely no sense, but it's written in such a straight-laced-yet-self-aware way that it's more endearing than annoying. Still, this isn't exactly a great example of haunted house horror- it sure is entertaining, though.
Rated 13 Jul 2020
It's easy to see why this is considered a classic - it's presumably huckster-director Castle's best work. Despite a low budget he comes up with some arresting imagery that still carries some creepiness & well crafted camera reveals of ghostly figures that must have influenced many horror filmmakers. The talking heads opening is compelling & so is the mystery he sets up. The big problem however is that the eagerly awaited explanation is riddled with plot holes & egregious implausibilities
Rated 22 May 2019
It's not even remotely scary, but it's loads of fun. However, and this is something I almost never complain about, it's clearly way too short. I desperately wanted the shenanigans to keep going.
Rated 31 Oct 2019
This film had an original script that has been redone and made fun of numerous times. The film is dated but it still has some good moments. The cast works especially Vincent Price. Overall I would recommend this film.
Rated 12 Mar 2017
While the story itself is pretty good there is a bit of a glaring plothole of the question of if the house is actually haunted or not. The acting is good, the camp factor is perfect, and the short run time kept the movie from dragging.
Rated 03 Apr 2017
After the unnerving opening sequence, it's mostly just an awkwardly staged melodrama with cheesy dialogue and scares and confusing characters (Vincent's villain vacillating between sinister and clueless being the worst of them), until an excellent couple of climactic twists (marred only by one ridiculously incompetent damsel in distress) tie things together in a surprisingly satisfying manner that even the rational Dr. Trent would approve of... if he survives the night, that is! Mwahaha.
Rated 18 Sep 2018
Carolyn Craig is a world class screamer.
Rated 30 Oct 2013
I laughed so hard at the floating old lady.
Rated 31 May 2020
The characters, particularly Vincent Price's, are really entertaining, and it makes this an overall fun horror/mystery movie. And with a few really creative scare moments (even if one or two of them make no sense) I can see why this type of haunted-house movie is so often referenced in pop culture. The finale, especially, was brilliant. Didn't matter how many gifs of it I had already seen, I still loved it.
Rated 27 Apr 2013
simply classic, a must-watch for horror fans.
Rated 04 Apr 2021
Don't mess with Vincent Price in a haunted house, you'll not live to regret it.
Rated 18 Feb 2013
The simple "seven strangers locked in a house" set up works well with Castle's special "sensibilities", and the final twist ensures some good laughs.
Rated 14 Sep 2012
Despite the brevity, the questionable effects, and half of the female dialogue being screams, it's actually an effective haunted house tale that relies more on film-noir-style murder plans than the actual supernatural, without totally relinquishing the creepiness of a ghost story.
Rated 26 Jun 2012
I do like skeletons...
Rated 22 Jan 2012
This single film proves why modern horror will never top the classics. There are really so many things to like. The visuals are great, Vincent Price is on usual godlike form, there are plenty of creepy moments and the atmosphere is very well done. Although the best part, for me, was the psychological element. It's never truly clarified whether something supernatural is going on and it works incredibly well, even saving the last scene from being TOO silly (still not sure how it'd work though).
Rated 09 Feb 2013
I wish that more horror movies today were like this. It is cheeky and creepy at the same time and even after 50 years, it didn't age badly. It might have been even better with an additional 10 minutes or so, the ending was a bit abrupt, but it is definitely worth seeing.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Fun, cheap-thrilling ghost story that, for unfathomable reasons, recieves the bulk of the praise directed at Castle. If taken on it's own terms however, it's a very easy film to love and the retarded plot just makes it all the more loveable. Price was (and you can look this up if you don't believe me) the fucking man!
Rated 29 Nov 2008
To my surprise it had some genuinely scary parts, but on the other hand it was pretty slow moving, and at parts completely boring. The ending however did redeem all the bad parts, for this movie has a terrific plot.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
A classic story that falls short due to the effects of the time. However, the character development and atmosphere can set the mood much better than the, dare I say, laughable props. Very much worth seeing for a fan of classic horror films.
Price is enjoyably goofy and Carol Ohmart is hot. Some fun horror gimmicks.
Rated 16 Oct 2018
I would've turned into John Waters too if I'd grown up on camp of this caliber.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Not much going on here other than Price's fun performance
Rated 28 Oct 2007
It is one of those movies you have seen before seeing it, since the idea has been parodied and repeated ad naseum.
Rated 25 Nov 2007
Utterly boring
Rated 03 Feb 2008
Far less fun than you might think, considering cast and director. "Hokey" is definitely the word for it, and not in a good way
Rated 12 Apr 2008
Price is good as usual, the rest of it is pretty bland.
Rated 16 Apr 2019
This used to be scary lmao
The chills are great, Carolyn Craig really sells it but Castle's bookends are what ultimately drags it down. Underused are Ohmart who isn't given much to do and Price plays it surprisingly reserved. [Rifftrax is by the numbers, good not great]
Rated 10 Jun 2008
Very entertaining trashy thriller with a fun performance from Price.
Rated 21 Feb 2018
The old floating woman is terrific. The rest is a movie that's mostly busy explaining itself.
Rated 22 Oct 2017
A group of people locked in a haunted house by an eccentric millionaire. It held my attention, but the ending is unsatisfying because it can't explain all the facts.
Rated 13 Oct 2017
A true classic of the old dark house genre. It reminds me of "The Haunting" (though this came first) in that outsiders are invited to stay in a house with a horrific reputation. While Vincent Price plays an evil mastermind in a William Castle flick you think he'd be acting in a Paul Thomas Anderson film, as he delivers it in a straight forward and totally believable manner; truly an underrated actor. "House on Haunted Hill" is spooky, fun, and also leaves you thinking more than you'd expect.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
A strong demonstration of the now-standard haunt setup. The middle has some poor performances, and it is simply not possible for characters to do those things. The climax worked on me as a kid, but the wrapping-up explanations are silly. Bonus points for "that scene."
Rated 30 Oct 2016
I have a hard time not feeling bored by older movies. I think it might be due to the way people acted back then. I am trying to move past it. I have to give major credit to this film for successfully pulling off a jump scare to someone who has been exposed to hundreds of horror movies. I really liked the premise of House on Haunted Hill, even now it feels fresh and original. It took Alfred Hitchcock like turns, but without as much grace. I am glad I watched it, but I didn't find it to be hugely
Campy to the extreme, but with a few genuine jump moments. It could have been an otherwise effective (But still campy) horror movie but, for some reason, right as the suspense kicks into high gear, the plot is completely revealed and the movie ends. *Sigh*
Rated 14 Oct 2020
Cheesy skeletons, a vat of acid, and a murder plot provide more fun than a traditional horror movie can. Its campy and confusing in all the best ways possible.
Rated 19 Oct 2020
It's good and campy, but never quite as good or campy as you want it to be, given the haunted house trappings and William Castle imprimatur. For more fun and funny, see Castle's "13 Ghosts" (1960); for the genuinely scary version, opt for "The Haunting" (1963).
Rated 22 Oct 2020
It shows its age, but it reminded me of And then there were none, so it was neat. Maybe it was very scary back in the time it came it, and nowadays it might be tamer than some movie, but the scares are still entertaining and gutsy, the story is fun and the ending won't leave you indifferent.
Rated 30 Oct 2020
‘I'm afraid this is a very unusual and very dull party." Well, you were half right... Hammy and not very good. For a pretty brief film it takes far too long to start moving. Price is as smooth as ever but mostly takes a back seat to an otherwise bland cast. Scattered amusing moments.
Rated 14 Jun 2021
Boring.
Rated 29 Jun 2021
There's some very strong horror content in here and some very strong psychological thriller content, especially the parts that show Nora's descent into complete emotional overwhelm. But it comes off as a bit flat, in the end, with little of the character stuff thematically tied together. Also, Vincent Price executes his role well, but it doesn't give him a chance to be properly gleeful about his bastardness.
Rated 30 May 2022
Middle-of-the-road haunted house movie if there ever was one. The acting is incredibly hammy. I would only watch it with the RiffTrax commentary.
Rated 11 Jun 2022
Often campy and gimmicky, and yet also surprisingly effective at times. It gets a bit elaborate and twist-centric, but overall much better than I was expecting and very enjoyable. I can imagine this would have been a lot of fun as a cinema experience back in the 1950s.
Rated 01 Oct 2022
I have a memory that I went to a friend's church's Halloween movie night, and was expecting the remake of this film, but got this instead. I was let down at the time, because as a teenager, I hadn't learned to enjoy black and white ~cinema~ yet. However, my memory must be lying. Even for an older film, this doesn't seem suitable for church viewing. I think it was the spooky skeleton.
Rated 06 Jul 2023
Almost perfect blend of high-camp silliness (unavoidable with Price around) and some genuinely unsettling shocks that still work 60 years later thanks to some creative and cock-eyed make-up effects (the ghouls are a formidable sight) and the well deployed skeleton (Price’s reveal here is definitely a comic highlight). Even for its vintage, this asks a certain indulgence from its audience, but pays back in spades, and no doubt would have played like gangbusters in a crowded theatre circa 1959.
Rated 25 Aug 2023
Completely boring and far too campy even for the late 50's. Doesn't count as a classic for me because it's just too bad, nothing about the film is good, even Vincent Price sucks here...
Rated 03 Oct 2023
While it's a tad campy, it's less campy than a lot of the Price stuff of this era and manages to create legitimate tension/scares and chills. The atmosphere is great. Price and Cook give the most interesting performances, as you'd expect. Price in particularly is more dialed down than usual and has some really great moments. Super fun stuff. The logic of the ending doesn't totally stand up, I don't think, but it hardly matters.
Rated 30 Nov 2023
Not many have served as hard as Carol Ohmart did in this film, and Norma is the most insufferable person of all time. I love that the Skeleton got a credit at the end.
Rated 15 Sep 2012
watched: 2012, 2016, 2023
Rated 31 Dec 2009
Incites laughter over fright but I can't say it's unwelcome.
Rated 03 Mar 2011
A solid, 1950's Gothic haunted house that's a little hard to watch in the modern era ("she's a woman, she's hysterical"), but is atmospheric enough to keep you watching. And there were a few legitimate scares to boot.
Rated 22 Oct 2011
Oh, my god. What a silly, laughable comedy -- like SECOND CITY's Count Floyd saying "OoooooOOOOO! It is so SCARY!" But as Low Camp it has its pleasures.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
I admit that it's mostly nastalgia talking, but I just adore this movie and could watch it a thousand times. The acid pit, the skeleton, the terrifying old lady, the very crappy looking disembodied head, an hilariously contrived plot, and Vincent Price hamming it up like only he can; what's not to love?
Rated 26 Oct 2011
Rated 18 Nov 2011
Not really anything special, and there are things that are a bit silly (at least cover the acid pit), but overall a very enjoyable Vincent Price vehicle without too much cheese. Or at least not too much BAD cheese.
Rated 27 Nov 2011
A fun but ultimately insubstantial B movie with a frankly nonsensical story. Price and Ohmart are good value as the bickering husband and wife but the rest of the cast either have nothing to do or should have been given nothing to do.
Rated 16 Jul 2009
One of the most annoying characters in film history but still a good horror classic.
Rated 30 Jun 2009
This movie has a lot of creepy things happening in a haunted house, and there's even a back story for the ghosts, but then they go and explain that it was just the wife and her boyfriend trying to kill her husband and scare people and ordinary stuff like that. If only there were one last scare at the end, this could be a real horror movie, but the end disappoints you.
Rated 16 Feb 2012
Silly, fun and a little bit trashy. Vincent Price is brilliantly weird, the story doesn't really hold together but works. Not among the cinematic classics, but it's a charming film in the right context.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
William Castle you magnificent bastard
Rated 05 Jun 2009
Horrible special effects, but c'mon...it's Vincent Price
Rated 11 Sep 2012
Good classic horror movie with some creepy moments.
Rated 04 May 2009
Typically fun Castle gimmick pic.
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Boring and hammy. The story sucked. At least it had some scare scenes.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
I complete classic. Haters will be haunted by Vincent Price.
Rated 03 Jan 2007
A casa dos maus espíritos estreava há 65 anos em San Francisco. Castle era o rei do oportunismo, aqui ele surfa no sucesso da Shirley Jackson para seus propósitos e tem início a construção de Price como ícone do horror. Box Versátil Obras-primas do Terror volume 18.
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Gimmick ghost story with some (unexplained) gruesome moments; the most outlandish of its producer's cheapjack trick films (_Thirteen Ghosts_, _The Tingler_, _Macabre_, etc.)
Rated 30 Dec 2008
I happened to like this version more so than the newer one. Yes, it was a tad bit cheesy, but in my opinion, anything with Vincent Price is going to be worth watching.
Rated 11 May 2013
Originally saw this at a very young age. After years of thinking it to be a classic I have found I was mistaken upon re-watching it. Not even Vincent Price can save this. All the elements for a campy good time are there, but nothing really makes sense or has any rhyme or reason to it. The "twist ending" is an eye roller. All around a real snoozefest. A '40' I say!
Rated 01 Jul 2013
It has the horror atmosphere down and is paced well. The film is short though, and I think the story is a bit conflicted at the end.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
Some decent atmosphere but good god are the bookends terrible. It's crazy how much better Price is than everyone else.
Rated 20 Oct 2013
I've seen this film many times. William Castle was a master showman. Vincent Price is the Godfather of horror. So much fun.
Rated 30 Nov 2008
Corny and hilarious by today's standards, worth a watch though.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
Campy by modern standards but spooky and atmospheric, House on Haunted Hill is a fun, well-executed cult classic featuring a memorable performance from genre icon Vincent Price.
Rated 20 Apr 2014
Rated 09 Jul 2010
Even an old horror film like this had some moments that freaked me out. I can see why this film was so popular.
Rated 23 Dec 2016
Hammy camp horror. Ok with moments. Like the old lady in the cellar and how she glides away without moving. That was fun.